Minerals

Posted By: AC870

Minerals - 04/05/20 03:43 PM

Isn’t it about time to put them out?
What y’all like?
Posted By: Cooperjohn

Re: Minerals - 04/05/20 08:17 PM

Yes, I went to my private property, The deer
Already have deep holes dug were I had the salt from last year.
I'm gonna go with the red trace mineral block and add
A all white block to each mineral site.
Also gonna give di_link a try.
Posted By: dagwood

Re: Minerals - 04/05/20 08:55 PM

I put out anilogics mineral block couple of weeks ago. It's loaded with essential minerals and not 99% salt like some. The downside is they haven't touched it yet.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Minerals - 04/05/20 09:04 PM

start with white salt, add other stuff later and more white salt.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Minerals - 04/05/20 09:24 PM

1 part di-cal phosphate to 2 parts red trace mineral is all you need ( 50 lbs di-cal to 100 lbs red trace mineral.) Red trace mineral is about 90% salt , good lawd , you don't need any more salt .
Posted By: centralala

Re: Minerals - 04/05/20 09:38 PM

I put out some salt blocks about the 1st.of March. New properties so just establishing new sites. They are hitting them hard. Very early for what I'm use to for this area. Either the weather (I suspect this) or the deer on these property's just found a novel mineral.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Minerals - 04/05/20 10:32 PM

My deer normally hammer them starting in February and they are doing the same this year
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Minerals - 04/05/20 11:21 PM

I made a huge lick at the end of January, threw out some dical, white salt, red salt, and a beet crush block someone got me for Christmas. Deer were on it immediately. Threw it all in a mud hole on top of landing that held water longer than other areas.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 12:51 AM

Tractor Supply had their trace mineral blocks on sale a few weeks ago.
Posted By: fish_blackbass

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 12:53 AM

I use the above recipe 2 dogs listed with the addition of apple sauce or apple cider. I feel it helps them to find it faster and stay longer initially but I'm fairly stupid so you may want to pass on that.
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
1 part di-cal phosphate to 2 parts red trace mineral is all you need ( 50 lbs di-cal to 100 lbs red trace mineral.) Red trace mineral is about 90% salt , good lawd , you don't need any more salt .

Bingo. Recipe I use, too.
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 01:39 AM

Yep, time for myself to put out some aswell
Posted By: AC870

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 01:42 AM

Remind me one more thing. I don’t need to put it in wet spot, right? More upland than bottom?
Posted By: MC21

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 02:25 AM

Not allowed on my deer lease until after turkey season. I usually put out a few of those 50 pound mineral blocks from tractor supply and they’re usually almost all gone by September.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by AC870

Remind me one more thing. I don’t need to put it in wet spot, right? More upland than bottom?
It's not necessary. Upland soils will be heavier clay and will hold the minerals longer. If you have to put it somewhere in a low spot, down a ridge or something, where the dirt turns more gray in color you'll want to dump it on a rotten stump so it doesn't wash away in that sandy soil.
Posted By: David Ellis

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 03:49 AM

I went and doctored mine up this weekend. Added 50# Di-cal, 50# red trace mineral and 150# of white salt. The deer are hammering the mineral sites already. I had 2800 pictures on the largest site since February 27th. These sites are large and have been established some 20 years ago. We get pictures of bucks all summer that we never see during hunting season.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 01:04 PM

a LOT of deer don't like the taste of Di-Cal alone.
Posted By: Raven

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 02:31 PM

[Linked Image]

I use 4S mineral out of Reynolds Ga. This was a started lick about the size of a 55 Gallon Drum. I put the 4S minerals in it last may went back in Oct and this is what it looked like.
Posted By: hunter84

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 04:04 PM

Put mine out about 10 days ago. Haven't had chance to go back, but I'm sure they have started on it. April-Aug. they will hit hard.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by AC870

Put in on the heaviest clay soil that you have. Dig a hole and pour it in it. It won't leech out.
Posted By: blade

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 05:52 PM

I saw several around one of mine late yesterday
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 07:13 PM

we do this but use 3 trace minerals to 1 dical or 2 trace and 1 stock salt to every one dical the deer seem to like it better with more salt. make sure its close to water and in a spot with a clay bottom that holds moisture a few days after a rain so it doesnt leech away in the soil.
Posted By: 6pt

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 07:47 PM

We do the 1 part di-cal and 2 red trace mineral, We add 1 can of the cheap grape cool aid (for the smell not sure if it work). We put them out around the last weekends of the year and they use them until a week or so out of velvet. Last year we had 3x as many pics on mineral only than we did with corn or other feed.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly

we do this but use 3 trace minerals to 1 dical or 2 trace and 1 stock salt to every one dical the deer seem to like it better with more salt. make sure its close to water and in a spot with a clay bottom that holds moisture a few days after a rain so it doesnt leech away in the soil.

I've been using my mix for years , never added extra straight salt and my babies love it.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Minerals - 04/06/20 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly

I've been using my mix for years , never added extra straight salt and my babies love it.

X2.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM