Aldeer.com

Tree Stand Problem

Posted By: LetOff

Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 07:50 PM

Need some ideas.

I've got a tall tree I'm using a climber on next year. Base of tree is very large and my climber will fit around it but being the tree is much smaller at top I have to adjust the stand, making my stopping point coming down at the 6 ft mark. So basically my foot piece is at 6ft after adjustment is made to level me out up to hunting height.

How can I get up to my climber 6ft off ground without impeding my climber ? Any ideas. besides a step ladder ?
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 07:57 PM

1 or 2 CLimbing sticks
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 07:58 PM

Maybe screw in steps to get you up that high. But it might be dicey getting in\out of stand.

USE A LIFELINE!!!

Another option might be to put a ladder stand against tree and use it to into the stand. It might be more stable since the seat could be used as a platform.

Again please dont do this without a good lifeline. It sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 08:12 PM

If the spot is so good that you are going through such trouble to hunt this particular tree then I believe it is good enough for a semi permanent stand. Hang a lock on and be done with it. Why go through all the shenanigans trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 08:13 PM

Screw in and climbing sticks wont work, i need to get above the base. If I put something above the climber base, I cant get climber over it.
Thought about a hoist of some kind
Posted By: Out back

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 08:20 PM

You can get a climber over screw in steps, I've done it many times in this exact scenario.
However, you might think about a good lockon as an alternative.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 08:30 PM

It's not smart to remove pins to adjust a stand if both feet aren't on the ground. This is asking for a broken back.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 08:33 PM

I don't know how old you are, and I probably couldn't do it today because my body is a little more worn out than it used to be. Back when I hunted the swamps of Dallas and Lowndes County there was always wide trunk trees that narrowed quickly. I carried a half dozen screw in steps in my backpack just for that purpose. I normally used an ol man climber, which was very easy to maneuver around the steps, but I've also used a summit that would work around the steps without much trouble.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 08:46 PM

I had a tree like that in a beaver pond I hunted. I put screw in till I got to where the stand was and left a climber above them on the tree all year.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 08:57 PM

Buckshot used to make a stand with a crank handle a worm gear that you could adjust the stand as needed without pulling pins. Can't remember the name.

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 08:59 PM

Found it, called an equalizer. They still sell them.

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 09:02 PM

Another option is to put one of the good loc-ons in the tree with climbing sticks and a LIFELINE.

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 09:08 PM

Another option is to put one of the good loc-ons in the tree with climbing sticks and a LIFELINE. I have a 36"×36"loc-on with swivel boat seat and hand rails around it, 28 ft up a tree with sticks and lifeline
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 09:17 PM

It's not safe, but I can adjust the top and bottom of my summit while in the air. I just put my knees in the seat and pull pressure off of the foot rest with the toe of my boot. Granted, I have both top and bottom tied together in case I drop it and I am always secured to the tree in a full body harness.
Posted By: DMC

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 09:30 PM

I used to adjust the top part mid tree but never could adjust the bottom, but now i just pick a different tree or sit on the ground.

One time I made the brilliant decision to unhook my feet from the bottom part trying to get over a large knot in the tree, the plan was to unhook and use the rope that connects the two pieces to pull the bottom part over the knot since i could get a better angle while my feet were not hooked in. I lowered the bottom part as far as i could and due to the angle it got stuck on the tree. It was too far down for my feet to reach it anymore so that was a fun 10-15 min figuring out what to do with no safety harness on. I finally got the nerve to swing my legs over the rail of the top part and tarzan my way onto a smaller pine and basically slide down it like a pole at a fire station. I then had to getting a running start and jump and hang on to the bottom part still attached to the tree, pull myself up and reach up and grab the top part and slowly get back down the tree. Now that i have kids i use a safety harness when i climb and i mainly sit on the ground and have actually really enjoyed the flexibility of ground hunting.

I did learn another important lesson that day, make sure the rope tied between the two pieces is not too long. Just because it catches the bottom part while falling does not guarantee you can use that rope to pull it back up. The angle becomes too severe and you are screwed if you can not reach it with your feet.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fishduck
If the spot is so good that you are going through such trouble to hunt this particular tree then I believe it is good enough for a semi permanent stand. Hang a lock on and be done with it. Why go through all the shenanigans trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 09:57 PM

If you can find half an extension ladder, roughly 10 ' you could strap it to the tree and put at brace 6' so you could climb to level with the bottom of the stand.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 10:03 PM

Just put a lock on up. Way simpler than trying to rig something up
Posted By: mzzy

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 10:21 PM

i carry a 5 step webbing aider i use in this scenario. just hang off the front of the platform and climb up. place you knee on the platform and stand up.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/03/20 10:49 PM

Go with a good loc-on and sticks.
Posted By: abamadude

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/04/20 08:53 PM

Just put an old climber bottom on the tree and stand on it to get to your climber.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/04/20 11:39 PM

Loc on or ladder
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/05/20 12:04 AM

Do you have a Summit. I have adjust my both my foot and seat part after getting up in the tree. Its amazing what you can learn to do once you get comfortable with them and have confidence in your safety harness.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/05/20 12:24 AM

You think you got a treestand problem?

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/05/20 08:41 PM

Guys thanks for the input but I figured out what I'm going to do.

I happen to drive by a house who had taken down a deck and got eight 2x8x12 so I'm going to build me a staircase and use screw some screen door handles to hold on to when I step on the climber base. I'll be able to get my climber over the handles where I wouldn't if I used tree steps.

I cant use a loc-on there cause my buddy is scared of them since there is no shooting rail around a loc-on (except for Millennium 360) but he's not comfortable in one of them either, I have two of those already.

Since my base of climber is only 6ft off ground I think I'll be good with a life line, the staircase and the screen door handles.
Posted By: capehorn24

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/06/20 11:04 AM

With a few more pieces of lumber from the deck just build a platform on the tree to put the stairs against. Like the old homemade ladder stands but only 6-8 feet off the ground. that will give you a good wide stable platform to get into the climber.
Posted By: hawndog

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/06/20 03:18 PM

Just use that lumber to make a ladder stand.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/06/20 05:59 PM

You could attach one of these to the top,

Search Etrier or aid ladders, basically a nylon rope ladder.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/06/20 06:04 PM

I had a tree like that one time. I kept a couple of milk crates at the base of the tree.
Posted By: coachg34

Re: Tree Stand Problem - 03/07/20 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by AC870

You think you got a treestand problem?

Voice of experience .
© 2024 ALDEER.COM