Aldeer.com

Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20

Posted By: Clem

Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/16/20 06:04 PM

Deer season has been over for a week, meaning all reports should be entered due to the reporting requirement.

For the 2019-20 season the final numbers:

Total reported -- 94,780

Bucks -- 54,987

Does -- 39,782

Totals: https://game.dcnr.alabama.gov/Report/State/Deer

County breakdown: https://game.dcnr.alabama.gov/Report/County/Deer
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/16/20 06:13 PM

94780 total deer killed? LOL

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/16/20 06:38 PM

But, if that's just a third of the reports, according to what we've been told, it's really more like 285,000. Right?

And that kind of jibes with the numbers from the olden days of the estimates and statistically valid post-season survey sent to hunters. A survey that was discounted as not being any good.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/16/20 08:19 PM

I think the rampant use of corn skewed the numbers away from a normal pre-corn year.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 01:13 AM

Nearly every processor I talked to this year said they had taken in more deer this year than they ever had.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 01:24 AM

My son says Kens in Autaugaville had more deer than he had ever seen in the 3 or 4 years he worked there in high school. They talked him into helping out a few days due to the glut.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 01:48 AM

We didn’t kill very many deer this season but I would bet our number of sightings more them doubled. Most due to corn but even in areas we hunt without corn saw more deer this year. LOTS of does and yearlings.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 02:28 AM

There were about 30,000 deer brought into a few processors in 4 Counties in northwest AL alone.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
There were about 30,000 deer brought into a few processors in 4 Counties in northwest AL alone.

So gamecheck compliance is WAY down.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 03:29 AM

I didn’t say it was down. I’ve never thought compliance was high. I hope it gets better.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 03:40 AM

I think we need a new app to report whether or not hunters are using the GameCheck App. That way we can really get good, quality data beers
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 03:46 AM

I saw more deer this year than I have in 25 years.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 03:50 AM

More accurate data....the GameCheck app, or the Iowa Dem caucus app?
Posted By: eskimo270

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 04:44 AM

So if they estimate that only 35% of Hunters reported their kills, wouldn’t our total harvest be somewhere around 157,106 bucks and113,663 does?

Of course that is all hypothetical but one thing that appears to stand out is that we have killed many more bucks than does. It reminds me of the numbers from when we had doe days. I wonder how many will be beating the drum to lower the buck harvest per hunter?
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 04:55 AM

I didn’t say it was down. I’ve never thought compliance was high. I hope it gets better.

I never thought compliance was high either.... which is why I said it was down. I guess that was poor phrasing on my part and I should said game check compliance is very low.

I also hope it gets better but I doubt it will.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 12:09 PM

I killed two deers and hauled off another ten that got killed on the road.
Two got gamechecked.
Posted By: centralala

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by eskimo270
So if they estimate that only 35% of Hunters reported their kills, wouldn’t our total harvest be somewhere around 157,106 bucks and113,663 does?

Of course that is all hypothetical but one thing that appears to stand out is that we have killed many more bucks than does. It reminds me of the numbers from when we had doe days. I wonder how many will be beating the drum to lower the buck harvest per hunter?

I am HUGE into changing the buck limit. I don't care what # they set but set a # on bucks more reasonable. Approximately 120 bucks per year, legally, with only 3 being antlered is totally contradictory to what the program (recording) was started as in 2007. It was meant to get a better age structure meaning getting more bucks to older age. Allowing 117 knob heads per hunter, per season makes absolutely no sense. I want someone to explain how killing knob heads will get more older age bucks.

As I said, I don't care where they set the limit but make it a BUCK limit.
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 12:25 PM

The nice folks at Cumberland Mountain on Skyline told me they took in over 700. And that’s impressive numbers considering it’s a small town and right up the road from Martin.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by centralala

I am HUGE into changing the buck limit. I don't care what # they set but set a # on bucks more reasonable. Approximately 120 bucks per year, legally, with only 3 being antlered is totally contradictory to what the program (recording) was started as in 2007. It was meant to get a better age structure meaning getting more bucks to older age. Allowing 117 knob heads per hunter, per season makes absolutely no sense. I want someone to explain how killing knob heads will get more older age bucks.

Exactly how is a hunter, that's looking for meat, gonna know that the small deer at 200 yards in a button head or doe? Hunters should be able to shoot what they want and not have to satisfy every big rack management wannabe that comes along. IF Alabama DCNR wanted to implement a season to grow older bucks the season would be cut down to just a few weeks total, or LESS. Throw that out there and see what it gets you.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 01:18 PM

The long AL deer season is by far the most detrimental thing to the AL deer herd.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 01:34 PM

Do they post WMA numbers?
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 02:18 PM

Why haven't people started talking about their
own area and separating it from other areas
instead of acting like the whole state needs
their "cure?"
And if this is not what the thinking is, come up
with how the state can be divided.
Damn, how many times can we cover this?

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 02:28 PM

I personally hope it crashes so badly that even Chuckie will abandon it and use a system that actually works....like report last years kills when you buy a new license.
Adopting a flawed, non working system and applying criminal penalties for not using it is something a Nazi would of been proud of....

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

Exactly how is a hunter, that's looking for meat, gonna know that the small deer at 200 yards in a button head or doe? Hunters should be able to shoot what they want and not have to satisfy every big rack management wannabe that comes along. IF Alabama DCNR wanted to implement a season to grow older bucks the season would be cut down to just a few weeks total, or LESS. Throw that out there and see what it gets you.

For this sole program, it's really simple. A buck is buck and recorded accordingly. A doe is a doe. If a meat hunter shoots a knob head, ok, he records it as a buck. If the State sets the limit at 1 or 10 bucks it's still a buck. And for this program , the percentage of bucks it each category is all that matters. We obviously read this study different because I never once saw anything about "big rack management." Not antler size, not weight, not if they where nocturnal. Didn't matter if it was a 6 yo spike or a 6 yo 20 pt. They were equal because age was all that mattered. You read more into than me. For this program if.We are trying to reach.certain percentages in each age group, it doesn't matter if they are killed at 6 weeks or 2 years, they not going to contribute to the older age group ever.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 04:45 PM

It always has bugged me that a "buck" isn't considered a buck unless the antler was broken through the hairline.

A buck has antlers and male sex organs. It's easy to determine that it's a buck. And if you shoot one even by mistake, it should be counted as a buck within the 3-buck limit. There should be no minimum-inch requirement. If it has male sex organs and knobs, antlers through the hairline or a 39-point rack, it's a buck.

The issue is that "mistake" part. Danny Deerhunter shoots a knobhead and then says, "Crap, I don't wanna check that as my buck." So he doesn't check it. Or he leaves it in the woods and says he missed. Or he sticks it in the truck under a tarp and heads home.

If getting an appropriate buck age structure is the key, a buck should be a buck and a doe a doe.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 05:36 PM

"they" aren't interested in "appropriate age structure" or that wouldn't of passed all the stupid shitt that has been passed which goes counter to increasing the number of bucks.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

I personally hope it crashes so badly that even Chuckie will abandon it and use a system that actually works....like report last years kills when you buy a new license.
Adopting a flawed, non working system and applying criminal penalties for not using it is something a Nazi would of been proud of....

I agree it doesn't work mainly because it is hard for GWs to enforce. A much easier way of enforcement is to do what so many other states do and issue tags that must be placed on an animal before transporting it. This would certainly make enforcing the three buck limit easier. Look at how other states do it and then modify it as needed for our state.

The Devil's Advocate response to this though is that Chuckie would want to find a way to charge Lifetime License holders and other license exempt persons for these tags. That issue would have to be dealt with before this becomes a reasonable alternative to Game Check.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 09:13 PM

They don't have to issue tags.

Ohio requires a tag on deer but allows the hunter to make it with whatever he/she wants. Paper in a baggie, cardboard, the back of a grocery receipt, whatever it is, as long as it has ODNR's required info on the tag. Then the hunter must call the ODNR check or go online to report within x-number of hours to get the confirmation number.

Some states issue tags but their fees are more than ours for license and/or permit. Alabama could issue tags but it probably would have to charge for a "deer tag permit" or something, which would be on top of the license cost.

I like the Ohio DNR option better. I can make a tag out of my own stuff, put it in a baggie, zip-tie it to an antler or ear, and I'm done as far as having a physical tag.

It ain't difficult.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 09:15 PM

Button head should be counted as a buck, it is stupid not to.
Posted By: crocker

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 09:55 PM

Not hard to tell a button head from a doe either. Just don't shoot antlerless deer unless there are a couple more with it to compare it to. If you cant get a few deer together at one time you probably don't need to be taking any out anyway. just my .02

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 10:21 PM

It's damn easy to tell a button head from a doe. Damn easy.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 10:31 PM

A buck is a buck at our place. You shoot a button head or a 150”(that ain’t never happened) it goes to the buck limit. If it has nuts, it’s one of your bucks.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
It's damn easy to tell a button head from a doe. Damn easy.

Yes Sir it is!!!
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 10:48 PM

I always tell anyone that doesn't know or is unsure, a doe will have a round head. Button bucks will usually be alone and have flat heads.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/17/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
The long AL deer season is by far the most detrimental thing to the AL deer herd.

I think shortening season would solve lots of things, who needs 3 .5 months to kill 3 bucks. How can game check ever be used ,since there is absolutely no scientific way to ever square the numbers that I am aware of.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by jawbone

I agree it doesn't work mainly because it is hard for GWs to enforce. A much easier way of enforcement is to do what so many other states do and issue tags that must be placed on an animal before transporting it. This would certainly make enforcing the three buck limit easier. Look at how other states do it and then modify it as needed for our state.

The Devil's Advocate response to this though is that Chuckie would want to find a way to charge Lifetime License holders and other license exempt persons for these tags. That issue would have to be dealt with before this becomes a reasonable alternative to Game Check.

Don't think tags would be much better in my opinion. Same tactics to avoid prosecution would be used. Dept won't let wardens work processors, My Lt had us work detail at area processors last year, 1 hour or 6 tickets whichever came first, compliance rate was about 10 percent, most places wrote 6 tickets on the first 6 came in. We got in trouble,told never do it again.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by sgtred
Originally Posted by jawbone

Don't think tags would be much better in my opinion. Same tactics to avoid prosecution would be used. Dept won't let wardens work processors, My Lt had us work detail at area processors last year, 1 hour or 6 tickets whichever came first, compliance rate was about 10 percent, most places wrote 6 tickets on the first 6 came in. We got in trouble,told never do it again.

Yeah I have to agree. I think it's bad for business and there's no reason to punish a small business man. He's got enough government troubles already.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 12:44 AM

I don't have strong feeling one way or another. Bad for business in what way do you think ?

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 12:50 AM

I don't have strong feeling one way or another. Bad for business in what way do you think ?

Well it's not a processor's job to enforce regulations. Basically that's what you're forcing upon him when you set up in his parking lot.
It wouldn't bother me at all, I've complied with the gamecheck since it came out. But I know the struggles of the small business man.
And I wouldn't be in favor of anything that negatively affects his customer volume.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 12:53 AM

I see your point, making processors regulators. I'm pretty sure in other states processors won't receive any untagged deer, what is the difference in those processors and ours.why you think those other states processors don't mind. I think I have read here on Aldeer that they will even call the game warden in folks that bring in untagged deer. Don't know if any of that is true. I have no personal experience with it. Just read that here.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 12:54 AM

Tags. For one thing. Our system is a joke.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 12:56 AM

Also, other states don't have an arrogant indignant dumbass in charge. That's the biggest problem facing Alabama's game check.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 12:56 AM

Got you.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 01:07 AM

In all seriousness.... "other states" typically set seasons, bag limits and enforcement rules based on sound biology and conservation efforts for the resources.
Our DCNR, the CAB and the legislature have proven (time after time) that our resources are the last priority. Our seasons, bag limits and rules are designed for political favors and PR ratings.
The peasants can't be expected to take it seriously, when the ruling class doesn't take it seriously. As I've said, many times, our deer and turkey season dates are random numbers on the calendar.
Any one of us can use the same logic and determine our own random calendar numbers.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 01:16 AM

Sgtred, a question for you on the enforcement of rules. Did you ever write a citation or know of a citation being written for 1 of 3 bucks not having 4 points on one side?

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 01:39 AM

Word gets out that game wardens are at Johnny's Processor & Panty Barn and he loses business, either for a day or a weekend or a season.

Doesn't matter if the GWs are there just one day or weekend. Word gets around that he's working with the game wardens.

That's bad for business.
Posted By: eskimo270

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 01:58 AM

It’s been antlered/antlerless, not buck/doe, as long as I can remember. It didn’t really hit me that Alabama doesn’t ask if the deer is an antlerless buck until I had to gamecheck an 8pt that I killed in Georgia, where they ask for that information. Whether they change the regulations to include a button head in the limit or not, they should still ask during the gamecheck. It seems logical that you would need that information. Btw I phone check mine so maybe the app does ask if it’s an antlerless buck.

But here is an interesting thing, for the first time in many years, we have killed more bucks than does.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 02:03 AM

Sgtred, a question for you on the enforcement of rules. Did you ever write a citation or know of a citation being written for 1 of 3 bucks not having 4 points on one side?

I never did, hadn't heard anyone I knew that did ,but probably happened somewhere.On another note, down at SOA, if you kill one that violated those antler restrictions, they holler real loud and have had me in the past,write tickets and this year, the current warden.
Posted By: globe

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 03:28 PM

Imo, there is no problem. How does game check #’s being wrong equate to “shortening deer season” or “limit buck harvest”. This was one of the best deer seasons for a great majority of Alabama deer hunters.
Yes, game check #’s are a joke, but deer hunting this year was not. It was really, really good. I go by what I see. Next year will be even better imo.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by globe
Imo, there is no problem. How does game check #’s being wrong equate to “shortening deer season” or “limit buck harvest”. This was one of the best deer seasons for a great majority of Alabama deer hunters.
Yes, game check #’s are a joke, but deer hunting this year was not. It was really, really good. I go by what I see. Next year will be even better imo.

Just curious. What is your definition of better?
Most people saw more does and yearlings due to pouring out tons of corn. Is that better?
More young bucks were killed, fir sure. Is that better?
Posted By: globe

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 04:11 PM

A good variety of deer were taken. Some studs for sure and some bucks that make people happy. Plus lots of does to eat. I think the current set up is broad enough to accomplish either camp you’re in. Tags whether state made or homemade would keep people slightly more honest, but hunting in general was excellent this year for I’d gamble to say the majority. To a lot of people just seeing deer no matter the size is satisfying/better than not seeing deer. So, harvest was up and sightings were up, I’d call that better.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 04:45 PM

I liked the way it was under Charles Kelly. It worked very well, it restablished deer . Add the 3 bucks limit to what Charles did, issue tags for those bucks. For those don't remember, Saturday before Thanksgiving, ended Jan 31. 10 day doe season, if you needed to kill more does, had to be on DMP, where biologist came looked at your property, determined how many ,issued tags and monitired the situation. For those who want the Feb season, just start it 10 days later. Take kids Squirrel hunting in November.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 05:19 PM

But ... but ... but ... that approach is outdated and didn't work and hunter satisfaction and "experiences!" and "quality deer!" and and and and and!

I appreciated that approach, too. It was flexible, allowed for landowner-hunter decisions and freedom of choice, didn't put a "gotta get my three bucks!" mentality into anyone, and things balanced out between someone shooting 13 bucks and one buck a season.

Looking back, we did not have the unyielding amount of acrimony, bitching, disdain, unhappiness and desire for more restrictive changes than we have now, and have seen especially in the last 8-10 years.

That was back when deer hunting was fun.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

But ... but ... but ... that approach is outdated and didn't work and hunter satisfaction and "experiences!" and "quality deer!" and and and and and!

I appreciated that approach, too. It was flexible, allowed for landowner-hunter decisions and freedom of choice, didn't put a "gotta get my three bucks!" mentality into anyone, and things balanced out between someone shooting 13 bucks and one buck a season.

Looking back, we did not have the unyielding amount of acrimony, bitching, disdain, unhappiness and desire for more restrictive changes than we have now, and have seen especially in the last 8-10 years.

Hunting was better back then, because the metrosexual, urbanite, subdivision dwellers played golf and looked down on us country boys as redneck, inbred "hunters".
Those were the good ol days before Jackie Bushman ruined deer hunting and Ray Scott ruined bass fishing.
Posted By: RobertM

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

You need to stop saying stuff like this. Being right about such things will make you fat and ugly.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 06:04 PM

Historically Conservation runs in cycles, just a cycle. Charles built it back up to where deer and turkey everywhere. Now we are in cycle that they had it good, forgot what it was like not even to have a deer to hunt, much less manage. Eventually hit rock bottom again and start over.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 06:49 PM

I liked the way it was under Charles Kelly. It worked very well, it restablished deer . Add the 3 bucks limit to what Charles did, issue tags for those bucks. For those don't remember, Saturday before Thanksgiving, ended Jan 31. 10 day doe season, if you needed to kill more does, had to be on DMP, where biologist came looked at your property, determined how many ,issued tags and monitired the situation. For those who want the Feb season, just start it 10 days later. Take kids Squirrel hunting in November.

Go back to the mid 80's and before and it open the Friday before Thanksgiving. Kids laying out of school opening day got it changed to Saturday.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs

Go back to the mid 80's and before and it open the Friday before Thanksgiving. Kids laying out of school opening day got it changed to Saturday.

Teachers too! Opening day was a school holiday in Chilton County.
Posted By: bigfoot15

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/18/20 07:28 PM

^^THIS^^
Posted By: Woodsman8

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/26/20 03:25 PM

In the past few years there has been a lot of chatter about everyone killing too many does. By the looks of the game check numbers we as a state are killing way more bucks than does. Has this always been the case or is it a newer trend?
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/26/20 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Woodsman8
In the past few years there has been a lot of chatter about everyone killing too many does. By the looks of the game check numbers we as a state are killing way more bucks than does. Has this always been the case or is it a newer trend?

Great question. I can't imagine there being more bucks killed than does.

Re: Game Check final deer numbers for 2019-20 - 02/27/20 02:19 AM

Does are what don't get reported the most, when I was still working, over half thought does didn't have to be gamechecked.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM