Aldeer.com

Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder

Posted By: MetalMama

Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 04:14 PM

Interested to hear your guys opinions on these. The pros and cons of each and which you prefer and why. With all the rain we had I got tired of watching corn spoil and mildew from being just poured on the ground before the deer had a chance to eat it or rice bran ruining as well.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 04:20 PM

I can't afford a free gravity feeder.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 04:40 PM

I ran 3 of each plus some trough feeders this season. I will be switching the spin feeders out with gravity feeders. What I noticed is that the spin feeders went thru just as much - if not more corn - than the gravity feeders b/c it was getting spun out on the ground regardless of the deer feeding on it that day. The gravity feeders, if the deer weren't very active that day, then there was no corn wasted.
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by hallb
I ran 3 of each plus some trough feeders this season. I will be switching the spin feeders out with gravity feeders. What I noticed is that the spin feeders went thru just as much - if not more corn - than the gravity feeders b/c it was getting spun out on the ground regardless of the deer feeding on it that day. The gravity feeders, if the deer weren't very active that day, then there was no corn wasted.

what was the ballpark amount you spent on corn during the season?

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by JayHook2

what was the ballpark amount you spent on corn during the season?

Anywhere from $6-7 a bag depending on where I got it from grin
Posted By: bward85

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 05:02 PM

I've been running spin feeders for 3 years now and will continue to use them. I like controlling the amount of feed being dispensed. I have had no problem with wasted feed.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 05:18 PM

I'm about done with done with spin feeders between batteries dying motors goin out I'm bout to build a trough or 2 with a roof and just pour it in and possibly may try a gravity to see how it works. I do know this when my last spinner quit working I started seeing more deer
Posted By: globe

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 05:18 PM

I’m building troughs this spring/summer
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 05:26 PM

We built 6 toughs last year and have been extremely happy with them. We also have 2 gravity feeders.
Posted By: imadeerhntr

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 05:29 PM

This was my first year using a spin feeder. I bought it at academy wild game I think. While it works and does what it is supposed to this is the most cheapest made Chinese junk I’ve bought in a while. I believe I could take a 30 gallon barrel with a sealable top weld some legs on and buy the spinner and have one that will last along time
Posted By: MetalMama

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 05:44 PM

I have 3 moultrie 30 gallon spinners in my amazon cart right now with the solar panel attachments for all three and can't decide if this is the right route to go lol.

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 06:21 PM

Buy one and try it out during the off season...

Home brew a gravity feeder and see if it works for you. Trial and error is part of the fun to me.
Posted By: Gig

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 06:48 PM

Gravity, I use a pvc toilet floor flange attached to the bottom of the barrel then reduce that down to two inch T to two 90s .
However we are considering no corn next season, its just a pain and expensive we can take some of that money and plant better food plots and mineral sites.
We used feed stations and do not bait, we follow the defined area rule, the corn takes the deer away from our plots.
We are non residents and pay too much already. Will still feed them up pre season.
Hell before the defined area or baiting rules the neighbors were pouring the corn when we did not and we still filled our freezers and took good bucks.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gig

Hell before the defined area or baiting rules the neighbors were pouring the corn when we did not and we still filled our freezers and took good bucks.

No way that's true. Your neighbors were pulling all your bucks with magic corn and killing 'em all.
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 09:27 PM

I have tried every box store feeder there is and a trough has worked best for me. I don’t have to worry if the battery is dead or feeder is stopped up. I fill my trough and forget it. Put a new one out yesterday day

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by MetalMama
I have 3 moultrie 30 gallon spinners in my amazon cart right now with the solar panel attachments for all three and can't decide if this is the right route to go lol.

I wouldn't do a 30 gallon feeder. If you're feeding any amount at a time you'll be filling that thing every week. That's a lot of trips in and out disturbing them.

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 10:11 PM

I got two boss buck spin feeders with the pieces to convert to gravity feed I’ll sell you. Have to pickup in Troy. Bought new less than a year ago.
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 10:15 PM

I’ve got two wild game spin feeders and a moultrie elite spin feeder all with varmint cages and solar chargers. All I had to do was refill them every 8 weeks and I set what time the food was available. This kept the deer from going nocturnal.
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 10:18 PM

I got two boss buck spin feeders with the pieces to convert to gravity feed I’ll sell you. Have to pickup in Troy. Bought new less than a year ago.

How much?

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/16/20 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by NSDQ160

How much?

Also both have solar chargers on them and the battery. I don't know, $500 for both of them? I probably have $800+ in all of it.
Posted By: MorningAir

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 12:08 AM

I used both. It seems like the bucks came to the pipe gravity feeders better. My spin cast all run on AA batteries. It sucked changing batteries. I may invest in the solar panels this summer. It would get expensive using nothing but gravity feeders even with out low deer density. I set my spin cast to go off at 845 am and 405pm. I rarely hunted over them but hunted trails 300 yds away and that seemed to be the ticket.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 12:33 AM

You have to put a cage around the spinner so they only get corn when you want them to get corn.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 12:38 AM

I have an All Seasons stand & fill with a solar panel. No battery failures or changes in over a year.

I adjust the spin time based on deer traffic. Early summer, when they have plenty of browse, it runs 1 sec twice a day. Heavy feeding, I bump it up to 15-20 seconds twice a day.

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 12:41 AM

I personally think during season spinners are the way to go. Make them out of 55 gallon drums. Put a flange on the bottom attach a moultrie all in one spinner on it and put a cage around it. We had 5 of these and they been going off twice a day since October on the same 4 lithium batteries. About $100 and deer are there waiting for it to go off every morning and every evening.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 01:34 AM

I’ve got the bigger type moultrie feeders. I love them because I can control how much feed is going out and I put the deer on a schedule. I had to fill them up about every month in a half
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 01:51 AM

All seasons and green go both sell timed gravity type feeders. Same as spin cast you set the time and amount to drop into the trough. I bought a all seasons this year. So far they are slower to get used to it than the banks gravity feeder.

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by mike35549
I personally think during season spinners are the way to go. Make them out of 55 gallon drums. Put a flange on the bottom attach a moultrie all in one spinner on it and put a cage around it. We had 5 of these and they been going off twice a day since October on the same 4 lithium batteries. About $100 and deer are there waiting for it to go off every morning and every evening.

Pretty sure you have made the exact same feeder I made...works great! That little spinner with a big cage around it means the Coons can't reach in far enough to touch it.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 03:51 AM

I had 2 gravity and one spinner. Lots of does and babies. Some barley horned bucks but zero mature or even mid aged bucks around the spinner. Had it set for 7 am and noon. No difference in time of deer movement that I saw with it. I’m going trough and maybe boss buck gravity next year.
Posted By: Nightrain

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 04:05 AM

I have a Moultrie that can be either a spin or gravity.
Posted By: eclipse829

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 11:05 AM

I've got a few spin feeders from tractor supply. They have the 6 volt battery. I use the single solar panel that was purchased at tractor supply as well. They batteries have remained fully charged throughout the season
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 11:23 AM

I've got a boss buck gravity feeder and two homemade trough feeders. For some reason I get more mature bucks coming to the boss buck than the troughs. It did take them a few weeks to get comfortable enough to use the boss buck, but now it serves as a deer super highway. More tracks around the boss buck than anywhere else on my place. The boss buck is placed in a slightly more secluded spot so that may have something to do with the usage aspect, not sure. Another year running some cameras will tell me more.

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by trailertrash
Originally Posted by mike35549

Pretty sure you have made the exact same feeder I made...works great! That little spinner with a big cage around it means the Coons can't reach in far enough to touch it.

A spinner is useless if you don’t keep the coons out.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/17/20 05:03 PM

They're all worthless if you don't keep the coons out. I have pictures of spinner feeders with coons hanging from the motor, pictures of them hanging from the head of gravity feeders, videos of them climbing the steel legs to get to the motors and heads, and videos of 4 at a time sitting in a trough-style feeder pigging out. If you have a high coon population, it doesn't much matter what type feeder you use.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/18/20 09:00 PM

You can put out a broadcast feeder and I can put out a gravity feeder within 300 yards and I can promise you ill have more deer show up at my buffet than you will picking thru leaves. coon are easy to take care of put a couple DP traps around baited with corn youll be rid of them in short time.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/18/20 09:21 PM

I have just put mine on the gravity. It took them about a week to get the hang of it.
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/18/20 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly
You can put out a broadcast feeder and I can put out a gravity feeder within 300 yards and I can promise you ill have more deer show up at my buffet than you will picking thru leaves. coon are easy to take care of put a couple DP traps around baited with corn youll be rid of them in short time.

This^^^^^^^^^
put two out and catch two out every night til you thin them down...place beside their trail going to the feeder...I use marshmallows
Posted By: globe

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/18/20 11:33 PM

How tall would a trough feeder need to be to keep hogs out? If you can.
Generally speaking. Or, how tall is too tall for deer?
Posted By: billrv

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/19/20 12:00 AM

In N.W. Fl. I went to gravity versus broadcast last year I wont go back to broadcast. I found bigger bucks didn't want the hassle of competing with several deer for some corn, now they get as much as they want.
Posted By: Sako7mm

Re: Broadcast timed feeder vs. Gravity feeder - 02/20/20 02:18 PM

I have a total of 6 spin feeders (All Seasons and Foreverlast) and have been very happy with them. The initial cost per feeder was more compared to the Moultrie feeders I've used in the past, but corn loss to coons was minimal and I only had to fill them 2x during season. IMO the $$$ saved on corn and the reduced pressure of having to fill feeders every other week was well worth the extra cost per feeder. My feeders are set for 7am and 4pm and we saw more bucks during daylight hours this year than any other season the last 10 years. I've used troughs in the past, but will never use again due to hogs and coons.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM