Aldeer.com

Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy.

Posted By: slippinlipjr

Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/14/20 03:28 AM

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/IhUpi2efFs4[/video]

This guy and his theory makes perfect sense to me. Of course the arrow will be a bit slower but all you have to do is aim lower.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/14/20 03:34 AM

The ranch fairy.

Morris
Posted By: teamduckdown

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/14/20 03:45 AM

Guess im confused about the reason to go this route? It seems to gaining popularity. But I have no issues with my FMJs, and Muzzy broad heads. Im accurate to 60 yards and dont have penetration issues at all. So I guess im asking whats the point?
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/14/20 03:47 AM

I could only watch a minute or two of that guy. So what's his idea? Something like heavier arrow with a heavy broadhead or in other words weight further forward and feathers?
Posted By: Morris

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/14/20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
The ranch fairy.

Morris

😂. That’s Stevo. He’s wears the visors
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/14/20 04:59 AM

Ahhh. Good call. Corrected. Stivo. Ranch fairy
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/14/20 11:44 AM

His logic on heavy arras is sound if you are shooting really big bodied bucks or hogs but it's not necessary here. Sure, you get less wobble and great penetration but I'll keep my "flapper" broad heads and lighter, faster and flatter shooting arrow set up for deer hunting Alabama. I do like shooting single blade broadheads for stalking but if I'm in a tree I'm shooting a mechanical.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/14/20 12:34 PM

I just put together some 600+gr. arrows with165gr. Zwickey 2 blades. Amazing how well, they shoot and quiet, quiet, quiet.
Cant wait to poke a Big Nasty Hog with one.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/14/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stob
I just put together some 600+gr. arrows with165gr. Zwickey 2 blades. Amazing how well, they shoot and quiet, quiet, quiet.

The sound factor is something you never hear folks talk about, but I agree the quietness is a nice advantage. And the reality is, the way most of my bowhunting is around these parts, you're just setting up on acorn trees with a close/known distance. If I've killed 100 deer with a bow, 90 of them have been inside 20 steps, frankly you could shoot a mop handle.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/14/20 02:57 PM

Velocity has a far greater effect on energy than does mass.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/14/20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by ikillbux
Originally Posted by Stob

The sound factor is something you never hear folks talk about, but I agree the quietness is a nice advantage. And the reality is, the way most of my bowhunting is around these parts, you're just setting up on acorn trees with a close/known distance. If I've killed 100 deer with a bow, 90 of them have been inside 20 steps, frankly you could shoot a mop handle.

I just put the corn at 20 that way every deer will be 10-30 and I only need 1 pin.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/16/20 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Out back

This...

KE = 1/2MV^2

Double the velocity, quadruple the kinetic energy.
Posted By: mzzy

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/16/20 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by 7x57_Mauser

This...

KE = 1/2MV^2

While true, ke is actually less important in archery. Momentum is king and what allows arrows to blow through tissue to get better penetration.

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/16/20 04:07 AM

A muzzy three blade is what allows the arrow to blow through a deer.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/16/20 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by teamduckdown
Guess im confused about the reason to go this route? It seems to gaining popularity. But I have no issues with my FMJs, and Muzzy broad heads. Im accurate to 60 yards and dont have penetration issues at all. So I guess im asking whats the point?

I agree. There's a threshold where you do not need more weight. Shooting 700gr arrows is fine but, I cant get by with that with my hunting and shot distance. I'm currently 463gr at 278fps, it's killing pretty much any animal I shoot if I do my part. I may test some 493gr arrows but, I don't need any more. I've killed elk with 413gr
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/17/20 01:56 AM

The lightweight guys really need to watch more than part of one of his videos.

I have NEVER shot a mechanical head out of anything. I have always shot fixed blade heads since I started bowhunting in 1977 and NEVER had one fail, not open or bend. I currently shoot a 45# longbow and a 195 grain simmons treeshark 50 grain inserts for a total arrow weight of 545 grains. Penetration is not a problem. I also don't shoot 50, 60, 70, 80 yards at animals because no matter how fast a bow set up is a deer can nearly be in another county by the time those "fast" straws get there. Or worse yet gut shoot a deer because all of that speed wasn't faster than the speed of sound and the reaction time of an animal.

Just my two cents.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/17/20 04:35 AM

The ONLY reservation I have about his methods is it would definitely slow an arrow down. I have shot at a many of deer with a bow. I posted one bow kill here a few years ago that I only had 4" of arrow penetration on and that deer was 10 yards away. He didn't die till the next morning. When I found him at 10AM, he was still warm and limber. That is what I do not want to happen again. I shot a buck this past bow season here by the shop. Wasn't a biggun by no means but we wanted fresh backstraps. I had messed up my other bow the week before so I was using my backup bow which is a lot slower than my main bow. The deer moved forward a bit and I hit him a little far back. Still in the lungs but he ran across half the county. Mediocre blood trail. The coyotes ate well that night. If I can aim low on the shoulder and not worry about penetration, all this would be worth it to me. For me, heavy projectiles give me the freedom to shoot wherever I want. That's my thinking anyway. Plan to put it to the test. This guy's logic seems sound.

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/17/20 12:04 PM

My logic doesn't only seem sound, it's proven. I've killed hellifiknow how many deer with a 100 grain muzzy on a light short arrow.
I never used a lighted nock because it's useless when the arrow blows through a deer every single time, 100% without fail. I've never failed to get a pass thru, not once, ever.
Shot a doe at 40 yards facing me, and the arrow came out her ass and stuck in the ground. That's a proven sound logic.... Not to mention physics.

Edit.... As I realize that I was not entirely honest. I do recall twice that I didn't get a pass thru. It was many years ago when Rage first came on the market and I foolishly bought some.
Shot two deer with a two blade Rage, lost both of them because there was no exit and no blood trail.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/17/20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by mzzy
Originally Posted by 7x57_Mauser

This...

KE = 1/2MV^2

While true, ke is actually less important in archery. Momentum is king and what allows arrows to blow through tissue to get better penetration.

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^ velocity ain't chitt, mass is what boosts momentum(penetration)
Posted By: RobertM

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/17/20 02:36 PM

Wow...years ago I'd been all over this, but now I can check swing at this floaty post. Y'all have fun.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/18/20 03:13 AM

https://youtu.be/63YtXIZEyxc Might want to watch this and learn!

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/18/20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fun4all

A light fast arrow tipped with a three blade muzzy. All you need to know. 👍
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Y'all check out this guy....Ranch Fairy. - 02/18/20 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fun4all

Nothing to learn really. Those shots are fatal because of where they hit and good heads. Same happens with lighter arrows and good heads.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM