Aldeer.com

If the rut is done where you hunt

Posted By: 40Bucks

If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/24/20 08:09 PM

Are you killing does any more, or just bucks? Wondering what others' opinion is on that.
Are you even hunting any longer?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/24/20 08:12 PM

Nope. Done hunting. Unless my kids ask to go I’m done. Ill let them shoot a doe if they want to
Posted By: Out back

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/24/20 08:32 PM

I can count on traffic to thin our does.
I live on a rural county road but the 1/2 mile stretch by my house is the only straightaway for miles.
Everyone thinks they are required to go 70 mph when they hit the straight.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/24/20 08:42 PM

Ruts been over for a month on our place. We have low hunter number so we have a hard time killing enough does to keep the population in check. So we keep shooting.
Posted By: sj22

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/24/20 08:48 PM

I don’t shoot does this time of year, we don’t have many where I hunt anyway. If I shoot one it’s early in the season or if I get invited to someone’s place and they want some killed.
Posted By: MC21

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/24/20 08:51 PM

Ruts not over where I hunt. But I’ve already killed a big buck. I just don’t have the same drive to “hunt hard” I’m going to camp this weekend, but I’m really just going to hang out. I’ll probably do most of the cooking and what not this weekend and just hunt close to the camp and let the other guys go wherever they want. I really want my dad to kill a buck. He has never killed one. He’s only been hunting for 5 years.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/24/20 08:54 PM

Doesn’t matter if you shoot them before they are bred or after, they aint having babies
Posted By: jb20

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/24/20 08:58 PM

Can't kill does here after december...wish thed change it to after October 😃
Posted By: top cat

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/24/20 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by lefthorn
Doesn’t matter if you shoot them before they are bred or after, they aint having babies

We cut doe killing off before the rut kicks in. I agreed that either way they won't be reproducing but why let a buck run hisself down breeding her to kill her later. Been doing it that way 20 years
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/24/20 09:24 PM

Killed a decent 8 before christmas and got 2 does for the freezer. So unless it's going on the wall or the kids want to take their first deer I will be just watching and seeing what's left for next season. Plus doing some scouting for some long beards on a buddy's place.
Posted By: hawndog

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/24/20 09:28 PM

If I shoot any does it will be late in the season. 1, I do not like shooting does with small fawns. 2 I like to keep pressure down so that bucks will use the greenfields, shooting does early in the season hurts. If you are watching does in the early season, the bucks will be there when the rut kicks in. 3 I will try to fill freezer with bucks, usually that is not a problem. If its near the end of season and I still need some meat, I might shoot one.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/27/20 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by top cat
Originally Posted by lefthorn

We cut doe killing off before the rut kicks in. I agreed that either way they won't be reproducing but why let a buck run hisself down breeding her to kill her later. Been doing it that way 20 years

This is a good point I had not thought of before I read your comment. I was strictly thiking about 'why kill a doe if she's bred and eliminate good fawn recruitment?'
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/27/20 09:33 PM

Definitely an angle I have never thought of

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/27/20 09:54 PM

I kill em whenever I want to. No thought needed any further than that
Posted By: Cooperjohn

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/27/20 10:04 PM

My club is in Coosa County. First. Year hunting Coosa. Since I was little,. Back then
We did man drives on old Kimberly Clark land. My club has killed a good many rack bucks
this season. Started off really slow. Don't think no one even saw a rack buck to after Jan 1st.
From the 5th of January till. Jan23, was really good. Nearly
20 Rack bucks have been taken.. My question is does the rut in Coosa get better into February
Or is it about done.. The scrapes have not been freshened
Much lately..
Posted By: lances

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/27/20 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Lol I like that
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 01:01 AM

Nope. No season for does here now. Just two 10 day or so seasons all year, Zone C.

None of us shoot them. We remember 15 years ago when you could hardly buy a deer sighting. We have a low deer density but real good genetics and a balanced herd. We see as many bucks as does for sure.

My buddies like to go south this time of year. One of my neighboring land owners that we hunt together just shot a stud in South Bama. It is on down there, dead up here.
Posted By: Clem

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Same. If I want to shoot something, I shoot.

I don't shoot them now where I hunt, though, because we don't have many.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 03:09 AM

Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! All season. Doesn’t matter if they’ve been bred or not. It’s easier if done earlier. I generally encourage for killing take place as early as possible. It can reduce stress on bucks in the rut.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 03:19 AM

Been over almost a month and I need some meat for jerky so going to shoot a doe since the bucks didn’t cooperate. We eat about 3 deer a year so if I don’t kill any or just 1 buck I will shoot a doe or two late season.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 03:26 AM

Gonna try and kill a couple of old Barron does at the lease the next few weekends

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Gonna try and kill a couple of old Barron does at the lease the next few weekends

What exactly does an old barron doe look like.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 03:52 AM

Old barren does don’t actually exist. Or I guess I should say age is not considered to be a contributing factor. Does continue to breed until death in the wild unless some other factor prevents them from conceiving.

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 03:53 AM

Idk if it’s a Barron doe but a few of these need a dirt nap [Linked Image]

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
Old barren does don’t actually exist. Or I guess I should say age is not considered to be a contributing factor. Does continue to breed until death in the wild unless some other factor prevents them from conceiving.

We have one that we named tongue that hasn’t had fawns in two years for sure. Her tongue always hangs out and her hair is always scruffy looks like a old whore that’s been rode hard and put up wet. I should have killed her opening weekend but Stephen was waiting on our big bucks 150 yds away. Too bad he didn’t shoot him that afternoon but saw him. She’s a target and any older does without fawns. The ones that always have fawns we don’t shoot rather have good mammas around.
Posted By: desertdog

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 04:49 AM

Turkey neck. I believe I have read you own land by where you live. Have you noticed any difference or increase in bucks late season from feeding heavy, due to lack of food late in the year. Or anyone else think this may be a factor that is feeding post rut.

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 01:26 PM

We have fed the last 4-5 years at the house and we may get a few extra buck pics in early February. Our biggest jump is mid/late February after the neighbors quit feeding. I normally feed until spring green up then lay off and concentrate on summer plots. This year I’m hoping they will take to a gravity feeder I’ve had out and feed them all year also.
Posted By: RedneckNinji

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 02:51 PM

Well its give or take the way I see it, you may not want to shoot one early season in case it has a fawn hanging out near by and then you may not want to shoot one later in the season that could potentially already been bread. It's different for each spot I hunt though. My personal land I don't shoot any does and strictly wait on mature bucks, but I've got permission to hunt a lady's land that just wants the deer thinned out so I will shoot the first thing I see every time (except a fawn even though its legal now lol)
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 09:24 PM

Been done here for 5-6 weeks

Start seeing shedding any day. But we need til February 10 Chucky says
Posted By: centralala

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by AlabamaSwamper
Been done here for 5-6 weeks

Start seeing shedding any day. But we need til February 10 Chucky says

Every indication is the season is going to be extended another 10 days on the front end of season. Would not be surprised for that to be this coming season. The DCNR has the data to do this, per Chucky.

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 10:07 PM

I’d say extend it for us up here up front 10-15 days and cut it off Jan 15 for us.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 10:18 PM

It would be fine with me if our season didnt start till jan 1 or so.
Posted By: jb20

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 10:35 PM

I'd like a split season regular bow season then rifle pick up at Christmas break n go thru Feb

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 10:40 PM

Just run it from Labor Day to Memorial Day that should be plenty for everyone.
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/28/20 11:05 PM

I’m in Winston county and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings in the least if the rifle season ended around January 10th every year. Just give one more week of rifle season on the front end. Keep archery the same to somewhat appease the complainers.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/29/20 03:29 AM

Years ago here in Mississippi I remember when the season went out January 15 for gun season and bow or primitive weapon was in until the 31st. I remember us killing some good deer back then and every year they extend the season some more. Now it goes out here February 15. Crazy how things change over the years. Wonder when they are gonna extend or shorten the season again
Posted By: centralala

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/29/20 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by johndeere5036

Years ago here in Mississippi I remember when the season went out January 15 for gun season and bow or primitive weapon was in until the 31st. I remember us killing some good deer back then and every year they extend the season some more. Now it goes out here February 15. Crazy how things change over the years. Wonder when they are gonna extend or shorten the season again

Extending here is about a sure bet. In my opinion that will be a mistake but time will tell. The facts are we have extended season already into Feb, legalized baiting, and OKed shooting spotted fawns. All those are for one reason: to reduce deer population in Alabama. Not one of those is about growing the population or even maintaining. I feel extending season even more would be counter productive. The average to less hard core hunters will get burned out with so much time to hunt and will stop hunting all together. This will be less hunters and less deer killed at a time when reducing deer numbers seems to be the goal by looking at other changes.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/29/20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by centralala

Extending here is about a sure bet. In my opinion that will be a mistake but time will tell. The facts are we have extended season already into Feb, legalized baiting, and OKed shooting spotted fawns. All those are for one reason: to reduce deer population in Alabama. Not one of those is about growing the population or even maintaining. I feel extending season even more would be counter productive. The average to less hard core hunters will get burned out with so much time to hunt and will stop hunting all together. This will be less hunters and less deer killed at a time when reducing deer numbers seems to be the goal by looking at other changes.

I hope the don’t extend it because I’m barely getting everything planted and done before the season comes in.
Posted By: StoneMan

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/29/20 01:55 PM

Just now getting good at my blount county property.
Posted By: Clem

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/29/20 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by centralala

Extending here is about a sure bet. In my opinion that will be a mistake but time will tell. The facts are we have extended season already into Feb, legalized baiting, and OKed shooting spotted fawns. All those are for one reason: to reduce deer population in Alabama. Not one of those is about growing the population or even maintaining.

Established hunting seasons always have been about reducing the population.

They're not designed to make hunters happy. They're designed as a management tool, with hunters being de facto agents of the state to help cull numbers of deer, elk, moose and other species.

Look at states that have banned or limited bear hunting, for example. Florida is a good one. New Jersey is another They keep screaming "management" but have not included hunting as part of it. So their population continues to grow like crazy.

West Virginia used to limit tags for bears. Hunters didn't kill enough. Now you can just buy one and go. Utah has expanded its bear seasons this year.

California banned hunting for mountain lions. Now they have mountain lions snatching 3-year-old kids and coming into neighborhoods. And yet they claim "the government" needs to be doing something. WTF can they do? Not enough.

The charge of state agencies is conservation and management. It's not "to grow more animals for hunters!" and never has been. We're just the means of killing for management for the agencies.
Posted By: Ant67

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/30/20 01:55 AM

I think the main peak rut ended in Bibb county the week after New Years. But bucks are generally interested with small bucks “kicking around” does in the field until the end. I personally think this is the best time of the year on low pressure fields. Bucks are trying to get weight back on and still a little hopeful. Saw a good 8 point that I passed in the rut calmly feeding with does this afternoon. While a spike ran around busting up groups.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: If the rut is done where you hunt - 01/30/20 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck

Save me one cuz
© 2024 ALDEER.COM