Aldeer.com

doe in heat question

Posted By: gman

doe in heat question - 01/24/20 05:56 PM

How long do they stay in heat? Last sunday, i shot a buck that may have just bred her. She would not leave. Still standing by him as i walked up checking to make sure he was dead. I take it another buck should just replace him and start chasing her? There's another good one up there close and i'm wondering if I should stay in that area (with a hot doe) or shift areas a little?
Posted By: jb20

Re: doe in heat question - 01/24/20 06:15 PM

3 days
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: doe in heat question - 01/24/20 06:25 PM

If youve got a hot doe in the area, that is the best place there is to be hunting, buck with her or not. She could attract several.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: doe in heat question - 01/24/20 06:43 PM

once upon a time I killed a 241#/7YO/9 point and a 252#/6YO/11point bucks in back to back days off the same split ear doe.....so you figure it out!!!
Posted By: gman

Re: doe in heat question - 01/24/20 07:20 PM

Well, she seemed REAL receptive sunday (when i killed the buck), so her window may have closed.

Re: doe in heat question - 01/24/20 07:36 PM

tomorrow, sat, will be too long for her. ALWAYS go back the next day or send someone later same day or next day.

I killed a 153" 10 point just after daylight one day after a fella saw him the day before with a hot doe. Killed him maybe 100 yards from where he was the day before. The doe usually won't move far and he will stay with her.
Posted By: jb20

Re: doe in heat question - 01/24/20 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
tomorrow, sat, will be too long for her. ALWAYS go back the next day or send someone later same day or next day.

I killed a 153" 10 point just after daylight one day after a fella saw him the day before with a hot doe. Killed him maybe 100 yards from where he was the day before. The doe usually won't move far and he will stay with her.

Yep my dad killed a good one chasing and told me to go back next day n killed good one that day
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: doe in heat question - 01/24/20 07:59 PM

She may smell for awhile prior and after but only in heat 24h
Posted By: Semo

Re: doe in heat question - 01/24/20 08:06 PM

"unbred females were in estrus longer (P = 0.01) than were females that were bred (X̄ ± SE; 2.3 ± 0.3 days versus 1.3 ± 0.2 days, respectively)"

Lisa M. White, Dennis A. Hosack, Robert J. Warren, Richard A. Fayrer-Hosken, Influence of Mating on Duration of Estrus in Captive White-Tailed Deer, Journal of Mammalogy, Volume 76, Issue 4, 4 December 1995, Pages 1159–1163, https://doi.org/10.2307/1382607
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: doe in heat question - 01/24/20 08:15 PM

I've killed two bucks off the same doe almost exactly a year apart. She had a flop ear. Haven't seen her in 2 years though. That's the one doe I would not shoot. She was good to me.

Re: doe in heat question - 01/24/20 11:19 PM

same for me, I put that split ear doe off limits, called her Ethyl.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: doe in heat question - 01/25/20 04:08 AM

A hot doe is the equivalent of a hot woman walking into a bar shouting "DO ME" Not always, but sometimes a doe can be bred by more than one buck and have offspring with different sites the following summer.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: doe in heat question - 01/25/20 04:09 AM

Yep too late now but yes always go back as quickly and often as possible where you see a hot doe.
Posted By: lances

Re: doe in heat question - 01/25/20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
A hot doe is the equivalent of a hot woman walking into a bar shouting "DO ME" Not always, but sometimes a doe can be bred by more than one buck and have offspring with different sites the following summer.

Lol
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: doe in heat question - 01/25/20 01:58 PM

How can you tell if a doe is in heat if there's not a buck around? What are her actions like.
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: doe in heat question - 01/26/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts
How can you tell if a doe is in heat if there's not a buck around? What are her actions like.

I've been wondering this too. Anybody got the answer?

Re: doe in heat question - 01/26/20 02:47 PM

most I've seen will walk around with their tail at half mast, twitching it.....much like a hot girl will.
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: doe in heat question - 01/26/20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
most I've seen will walk around with their tail at half mast, twitching it.....much like a hot girl will.

^^^THIS^^^

Look at their tarsal glands. If they are dark could be another indicator.
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: doe in heat question - 01/26/20 03:13 PM

Had a hot doe around yesterday evening with her tail stuck straight out and twitching it as she was walking around..
Posted By: Wapiti55

Re: doe in heat question - 01/26/20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by gatorbait154
Had a hot doe around yesterday evening with her tail stuck straight out and twitching it as she was walking around..

I know where I’d be for next 24-48hrs if I were you
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: doe in heat question - 01/26/20 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wapiti55
Originally Posted by gatorbait154

I know where I’d be for next 24-48hrs if I were you

Hunted Friday afternoon in a plot and only saw young bucks and no does. Saturday morning every doe I saw had a buck chasing her and pretty sure I saw the hot doe with a decent buck behind her, but not a shooter. Saturday evening the hot doe came back out in the clear cut but no buck on her.. Had to come home for church, so I’ll have to go back next week.. maybe the bucks will be back cruising for another receptive doe..
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: doe in heat question - 01/26/20 08:43 PM

A lot of times to if she’s in heat other does that arnt will try to run her off. Her tarsal glands will be black and the tail flicker. I’ve seen a many walk out of a feild and pee in a scrape and within 20-30 minutes have a buck come in and start chasing her. Regardless if you shoot a buck off of her I’d be back to hunt again
© 2024 ALDEER.COM