Aldeer.com

The power of corn

Posted By: BradB

The power of corn - 01/24/20 04:49 AM

I had no clue because I followed the rules. In retrospect, as the song goes “I shoulda been an outlaw”.Stuffs amazing
Posted By: Ben2

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 05:25 AM

It can be. For me it's simply a tool to keep deer on the farm and hopefully get then a few years older. I did the math today and I am averaging 900lbs per week on 1500 acres. I am about to cut that in half for the next 2 months
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 11:54 AM

Damn. I’m feeding 700# a week on 40 acres. And I all but quit hunting. I guess I just like watching them these days
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by BradB
I had no clue because I followed the rules. In retrospect, as the song goes “I shoulda been an outlaw”.Stuffs amazing

Just curious, how did it make a difference for you this year? I’m not disagreeing, but just wondering if it was sightings, kills, etc?
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jwillinfl

Just curious, how did it make a difference for you this year? I’m not disagreeing, but just wondering if it was sightings, kills, etc?

This?
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 12:44 PM

Heard your neighbors killed some good ones
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 12:48 PM

Im seeing at least twice as many deer, have not killed one but ive seen several that were bigger than 2/3 of the bucks in the pictures posted on here, could have killed them but im waiting on a partiicular deer or another really good deer.
Posted By: AC870

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 12:57 PM

It made a difference on the 12-acre home place.
I’ve watched deer nearly every sit, which has been really nice.
And I fed corn previously 100 yards and out of sight.
I do believe we had a bumper crop of deer plus the new corn rule.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 12:57 PM

There's more gas stations selling corn between Mobile and Thomasville than there are Alexander Shunnarah billboards. Even with all the new places selling it, Al Mosley in Thomaston said his sales more than doubled this year.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 01:13 PM

I haven’t seen any difference as far as sightings. Only change I have seen is the amount of fat in the deer when cleaned.

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77

Im seeing at least twice as many deer, have not killed one but ive seen several that were bigger than 2/3 of the bucks in the pictures posted on here, could have killed them but im waiting on a partiicular deer or another really good deer.

Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
I haven’t seen any difference as far as sightings. Only change I have seen is the amount of fat in the deer when cleaned.

Yes, the deer are fat too
Posted By: Out back

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 01:52 PM

The only difference I've noticed is the amount of roadside trash.
I cant imagine how some people are spending hundreds of dollars a week on corn. Ya'll obviously got money to burn.
The coons and crows are loving it. And, I appreciate you feeding the turkeys for me.
Posted By: sj22

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
I cant imagine how some people are spending hundreds of dollars a week on corn. Ya'll obviously got money to burn.
The coons and crows are loving it. And, I appreciate you feeding the turkeys for me.

Exactly
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 04:16 PM

I feed corn just to piss the outlaw poacher off and take their advantage away. I want each and every one of them to know that they no longer have an advantage..... if that costs me $10k it's worth every penny.
Posted By: jb20

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 04:37 PM

I've put out about 200lb on 550 acres lol ain't put a drop on the farm still got this
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 05:37 PM

Corn is alright, sweet potatoes are where it's at
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Out back

People spending their welfare and SSD money on corn.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 06:30 PM

jb20,
You going to hit them hard with that corn these last couple weeks? Or is that the turkey stash.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 06:32 PM

And where are all the 140 class and 150 class bucks that corn was going to magically produce for the state's deer hunters???
Posted By: jb20

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by HHSyelper
jb20,
You going to hit them hard with that corn these last couple weeks? Or is that the turkey stash.

Reckon it'll be for turkey we ain't got many around here so it's fair 🤣
Posted By: grundan

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 09:12 PM

Hey jb, that’s a lot of corn. You could make some shine with leftovers and turn a little profit.

Re: The power of corn - 01/24/20 10:48 PM

I'm glad everyone gets to use it now,I was never opposed to it. It's early days though, wildlife adapt to everything,takes them a while, 3 years from now corn won't be nearly as potent for hunting purposes, except on the places were the hunters are disciplined enough not to shoot their deer near it.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 12:49 AM

Im going to make a prediction..corn will continue to make a difference...it will make more of an impact the more its used year after year...people who think its blasphemy will soften up to it...theyll use it...greenfields will still be planted...deer will still eat both....it will mold deer movement patterns long term and will be a when the corn gets put out thing an not where..alabama deer gonna still be skittish in places...some places theyll become even more lax...theyll come a point in time when folks will notice deer are being seen in the daylight more an more...generations of deer to come will eventually normalize corn with everyday life an when it hits the ground they gon come eat it..it may take 15 or 20 years..probly wont..feeders will eventually stop freakin out most deer that are freaked out by them at all..the almighty rifle crack could become an issue...laws will change limiting deer harvest in some way...i could be totally wrong....jeffrey epstein didnt kill himself rofl
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 12:51 AM

I have 6 pallets on my shop floor. Guess I’ll keep on feeding til I’m out.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 02:18 AM

Mine are going to start getting more feeders after season. I can’t afford to keep them enough corn out to last the week
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 03:06 AM

Damn! You boys put out a lot of corn! 900lbs a week is 18 50lb bags! That is $130 a week! 20 weeks in the season. Almost $3k. Damn....just damn.
Posted By: burbank

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bore
Damn! You boys put out a lot of corn! 900lbs a week is 18 50lb bags! That is $130 a week! 20 weeks in the season. Almost $3k. Damn....just damn.

Yep. I play just the tip. These guys having full blown deer/corn orgies.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bore

That, ladder stands, building shooting houses are my responsibility during the season and the others plant the soybeans and prep fields. I could feed 2 or 3 times that much if I wanted to they would eat it!
Posted By: BradB

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 04:42 AM

I am not using a ton of it like some. I have a couple of spinners in plots just to keep them interested but when I got up for my two week rut hunt I started spinning out a bucket in several locations including existing plots, along shooting lanes and in a couple of fallow plots.The response was quick and obvious. A fallow plot with little sign was literally covered in hoof prints and had scrapes in open field which I have never seen and same results most other places.I have ended up spending 15 of my 18 sits so far in one box because I am seeing for me an incredible number of deer.Historically my place has averaged seeing about 2.5-3.75 deer/sit during this period.This year and I am seeing around 10/sit this year. Had 17 in fields this afternoon. Prior to this year the most deer/sit ever for me was 12. I have seen between 12 and 19 on 8 sits. I have seen one very nice shooter who was to quick for me and passed two 3.5 year old 8-9 points.one which was munching corn in a green field at 3:00 in the afternoon. I have been extensively managing this place for years, have great winter plots, plant 8 ac of summer plots and I have never seen anything like it.
Posted By: Out back

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 12:40 PM

On Feb 11th, the entire deer population is going into DTs.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 12:56 PM

Not at my place. I started feeding corn from a spin feeder last year when GA made it legal. It runs every day, twice a day, and will continue to run. If I notice the corn building up, I reduce the run time, and if it's gone too quick, I increase the time.

I hunted South Alabama this week. My buddy uses directional feeders. Yesterday morning, there were 3 does eating before the corn stopped blowing out.
Posted By: capehorn24

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by UncleHuck

Not at my place. I started feeding corn from a spin feeder last year when GA made it legal. It runs every day, twice a day, and will continue to run. If I notice the corn building up, I reduce the run time, and if it's gone too quick, I increase the time.

I hunted South Alabama this week. My buddy uses directional feeders. Yesterday morning, there were 3 does eating before the corn stopped blowing out.

What is a directional feeder?
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by capehorn24
Originally Posted by UncleHuck

What is a directional feeder?

Like a fish feeder. They have an attachment to spray in a concentrated direction.

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 02:36 PM

My feeders will run deer off at times. Mine prefer sweet feed over corn anyway but it wont run through.
Posted By: bward85

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts
My feeders will run deer off at times. Mine prefer sweet feed over corn anyway but it wont run through.

I see what you did there Mr. Jiffy mix😂
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 02:53 PM

I use a directional feeder. Love it

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by bward85
Originally Posted by jaredhunts

I see what you did there Mr. Jiffy mix😂

Dang, you got me.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 07:32 PM

we have 55 gallon drums with a 2 inch hole cut in side for gravity feed on 4 greenfields those fields arent allowed to have does shot on them or anyting less than a 3.5 year old deer we literally see herds in them 4 out of 5 hunts all day long I just enjoy actually seeing them all this the deer go nocturnal talk is BS any deer will go nocturnal if you shoot at them as soon as they step on the field. ive also been experimenting and deer will not touch big and j if there is a pile of apple corn next to it. stuff is a waste of money. theyll also avoid your timed broadcast feeder to come eat at the buffet pile they dont like picking thru leaves and dirt when its piled up 200 yards away.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 07:41 PM

$$$$$$ I've never done the math to it. but corn,shells,hunting dues, deer meat is expensive. Its a hobby so we aint counting $$$.$$ I would hate to know what some have spent this year to kill one.

Re: The power of corn - 01/25/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly
we have 55 gallon drums with a 2 inch hole cut in side for gravity feed on 4 greenfields those fields arent allowed to have does shot on them or anyting less than a 3.5 year old deer we literally see herds in them 4 out of 5 hunts all day long I just enjoy actually seeing them all this the deer go nocturnal talk is BS any deer will go nocturnal if you shoot at them as soon as they step on the field. ive also been experimenting and deer will not touch big and j if there is a pile of apple corn next to it. stuff is a waste of money. theyll also avoid your timed broadcast feeder to come eat at the buffet pile they dont like picking thru leaves and dirt when its piled up 200 yards away.

You need to write a book on that and I'll help promote it for a %.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: The power of corn - 01/27/20 04:19 AM

What I have notice is all of the DAMN corn sacks on the side of the road!! Maybe Chucky will figure out a $30 per 50 lb bag clean up tax might help!!!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM