Aldeer.com

Bad shot on a deer story #2

Posted By: gcr0003

Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 08:19 PM

Decided to hunt this morning despite the 20-30 mph winds posted and the storm that was suppose to come in at 8 thanks to Coosa1. First light was 6:30, sunrise at 7. I Got in my tree and set up around 6:45. I was going to set up 75 yards north of the scrape I found the day before but I came across a even fresher scrape before I could get there. This was only about 200 yards from the road. As soon as I got all set up flurries happened (on set of a migraine). I put some droplets in my eye to no avail. Just then a buck made a B line straight to my tree, stopping 10 yards to my left. I made a reach for my bow as the deer hopped behind me to about 30 yards. I turned and fixed my eyes on my target. The deer paused. I let the arrow fly. As soon as I let go the deer, who was already slightly quartered away, turned even further away. The shot sounded loud like a bone was hit. Znritchie, my wife and dog were on their way. Zach and I gave the deer a couple hours before we tracked light blood 50 yards and couldn’t pick up anymore. We backed out and my wife and dog collie were up. Collie did real well at doubling over where we had already found blood but got a little confused at the last spot we found good blood. We decided to push through and check across the bedding. Allison picked up on some blood. Collie then successfully linked the new found blood and tracked it back to the old blood. There wasn’t much for blood between the two. Going back to the farthest blood spot I discovered a slice of skin and attached hair. I am under the belief that I most likely lanced the deer and cut him non lethally. I am disappointed in the poor shot and plan to take it as a learning point. What’s y’all thoughts? The skin was found 185 yds from the shot site. It appears the deer might have them crossed the creek. I backed out and might go stomping around tomorrow. I was sick from the migraine today and was pretty worthless with the throwing up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 08:53 PM

It happens...wonder you didn't get tangled up in all them mess of ropes and prussiks and knots in that tree and hang yourself...from the looks of the arrow that is probably a brisket shot and that deer probably survive
Hate it for you stay afterem you'll get him

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ar1220
It happens...wonder you didn't get tangled up in all them mess of ropes and prussiks and knots in that tree and hang yourself...from the looks of the arrow that is probably a brisket shot and that deer probably survive
Hate it for you stay afterem you'll get him

Haha yea lots of ropes with these saddle set ups. Bunch of death traps. Thanks man I hope he is ok, and I’m not worried I know I’ll get more opportunities. At the bare minimum all the walking around I did help me discover a lot of great deer sign. It was covered in scrapes rubs and droppings. Definitely other deer in there.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 09:05 PM

Migraines are the devil.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 09:47 PM

Seems like a lot of blood on the arrow for just a grazing shot, haven’t ever seen a skin flap like that
Posted By: jb20

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by jlbuc10
Seems like a lot of blood on the arrow for just a grazing shot, haven’t ever seen a skin flap like that
Posted By: sj22

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by jlbuc10

My thoughts too
Posted By: Willyb

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 10:05 PM

Most likely got a dead deer either now or an ultimately fatal wound
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 10:21 PM

Lot of blood the fletching to be a flesh wound

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 10:35 PM

Is that paracord holding attached to the carabiner?

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 10:36 PM

I’m gonna look for it again in the morning when I’m worth a darn, hoping it didn’t cross the creek.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by jb20
Is that paracord holding attached to the carabiner?

No dude
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 11:31 PM

I think you got a dead deer with all that blood on the arrow. Good luck finding him gcr.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Migraines are the devil.

No doubt

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by DGAMBLER
I think you got a dead deer with all that blood on the arrow. Good luck finding him gcr.

Man y’all got me second guessing myself. Gonna have to give it the ole graph survey tomorrow and cover all ground. Here’s a question, if I find the deer tomorrow (when hunting isn’t allowed) what trouble am I in for?
Posted By: Jason Carroll

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 11:49 PM

Could be a single lung shot with him quartering that much away from you. What throws me off is the damn chunk of skin. I've never seen that before and I have killed lots of deer with a bow. What broadhead we're you using?
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/18/20 11:57 PM

Great question JC, I was just about to ask him which broadhead...
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 12:10 AM

Appears to be a 3 blade of some sort.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 12:29 AM

Baffles me as well. You’re correct BOFF, it’s a G5 Montec

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Carroll
Could be a single lung shot with him quartering that much away from you. What throws me off is the damn chunk of skin. I've never seen that before and I have killed lots of deer with a bow. What broadhead we're you using?

Znritchie though there were small bubbles on the fletchings. I wasn’t so sure. Very well could be. What sucks is I had an identical shot on a doe two weeks back that I drilled in the prefect spot grabbing both lungs.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 12:45 AM

[Linked Image]

Here is a quick look at the track we did. As you can tell from the satellite there is a creek directly north. I am confident though that if he went across the creek I should be able to graph it out and find him. I’m going to start with the pine thicket first though.

Question I had a pretty shallow angle shot. If the in and out hole are practically flat, wouldn’t that affect how much blood he actually drops? I guess what I’m saying if the out hole isn’t pointing down would his vital cavity just fill with blood?

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 12:51 AM

I hunt on ground and always had good blood with flat shots.. usually hear em fall..the last deer i shot with 308 didn't bleed at all I tore his shoulder up bad on the inside so I guess u can never tell

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 12:52 AM

Ok just covering the basics, just thinking
Originally Posted by jb20
I hunt on ground and always had good blood with flat shots.. usually hear em fall..the last deer i shot with 308 didn't bleed at all I tore his shoulder up bad on the inside so I guess u can never tell
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 12:55 AM

He just sliced a chunk on the briscet boys dont get him exited

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sandmtnslayer
He just sliced a chunk on the briscet boys dont get him exited

I should just take a poll.
Right now we are at:
2 for brisket deer is fine (probably)
4 for a lot of blood on arrow
2 for dead deer?

I’m not getting excited, but if there is a consensus that the deer is more likely to be dead than alive then I want to go back out and give it a fair shot at finding him.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 01:08 AM

Sounded like a hit and quartering away....doesn't sound like a sliced brisket to me i have no consensus if dead or alive but ive i had to pick id check further
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 01:13 AM

In my opinion, you shot it, you have an obligation to do what you can to try and find it
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 01:16 AM

That looks like low brisket shot probably right between front legs. Also forgive my ignorance of tree saddles but that string holding you up seems awfully small. Be careful not to hit that with a broadhead or knife.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
That looks like low brisket shot probably right between front legs. Also forgive my ignorance of tree saddles but that string holding you up seems awfully small. Be careful not to hit that with a broadhead or knife.

No it’s a completely reasonably question. It is a tether with a prussic knot as someone mentioned above. This rope is extremely thin 1/4” compared to my other prussics; however, this is the rope that the manufacturer included in the kit I recently got. It is rated to 2400lb I believe. I’m 200 lbs and I’m only using it statically so I’m comfortable using it. Also, I’m never in a situation where I would come anywhere near cutting it. Also check out g2outdoors on YouTube if you’re interested, he recently did a video testing different tethers against broadheads cutting them. It’s a pretty cool video.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer
In my opinion, you shot it, you have an obligation to do what you can to try and find it

Yea man I already said that. I agree.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 01:46 AM

For comparison you can look in the background where I’m hanging my bow and see the difference in prussic material thickness. With rope though it’s more about material design and composition to a degree. There is 1/2” rope at Walmart that is only rated to 120lbs, if that makes sense.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 01:47 AM

Where did you find the arrow? Was it a pass thru ?
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 01:55 AM

I once shot low on a buck and bounced the broadhead off his breastbone. Very similar looking fur to what you have. The arrow just smacked off and never entered the body cavity. Deer just walked off barely hurt.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 02:13 AM

Ok
1.how did the deer react to the shoot? Run hard tail up tail down humped up walk off?
2.how long did you wait before looking?
3.was the hide patch at the hit site or found along the blood trail?
4. Was the shot a pass thru
5. How far was the shot, what type of broadhead, and what is total arrow weight?
6. While you were tracking did you jump the deer or find any places where he laid down?

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ar1220
Ok
1.how did the deer react to the shoot? Run hard tail up tail down humped up walk off?
2.how long did you wait before looking?
3.was the hide patch at the hit site or found along the blood trail?
4. Was the shot a pass thru
5. How far was the shot, what type of broadhead, and what is total arrow weight?
6. While you were tracking did you jump the deer or find any places where he laid down?

1. Ran hard tail down
2. 2 hours, it was raining and thought that might wash the blood out
3. Hide patch was 4 ft from a blood patch ~185 yards away from arrow (seen in the top right map above)
4. The whole arrow was bloodied as seen in the picture, has to be a pass through
5. 30 yard shot, fixed 3 blade g5 Montec 125 grain I believe, no clue on weight
6. No jumps, no patches indicative of a stopped bedded deer. Found no blood between that last and second to last blood.
Perch: arrow was found on the ground as shown

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
I once shot low on a buck and bounced the broadhead off his breastbone. Very similar looking fur to what you have. The arrow just smacked off and never entered the body cavity. Deer just walked off barely hurt.

I had the same thing happen with a quartered to Deer last year.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 02:40 AM

Hard quartering away shot I'm saying low where the leg comes up into the shoulder and or brisket it's possible you got one lung and brisket
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 11:52 AM

I guess what I’m saying if the out hole isn’t pointing down would his vital cavity just fill with blood?

An exit hole can fill with tissue and prevent blood from flowing out of body. This happens a lot on stomach hits. I'd bet you hit one lung.With that much blood no way it didn't pass thru the body. I wondered it it wasn't a pass thru and the head way just under the skin and cut the chuck out while running.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 06:40 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Found a deer, just not mine
Maybe the skin was from this deer. The blood by it was fresh though yesterday
Posted By: Semo

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 07:02 PM

Sounds like you have done just about all you could. Sometimes muscle wounds can put a lot of blood on the arrow. From the picture (which is tough to judge by) it just doesn't look dark enough to be guts and not light enough (or airy) to be lung. That leaves a lot of questions but hope your deer survives.

I shot one through both hams (hit a branch) several years back. Tracked it off and on for 3 days before I jumped it and saw he was not gonna be caught. Somebody shot that buck 2 months later (completely healed over). Still kicking myself though...it scored 147.
Posted By: charlie

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 07:07 PM

How far from the dead deer was the skin? LooKS like the hair was slipping on it already so it could have been from the dead one.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 07:19 PM

10 yards from the dead deer was the skin so pretty confident the skin was from him
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 07:40 PM

Have you thought about getting a dog in there? Well, the trail may be too cold now though.

Re: Bad shot on a deer story #2 - 01/19/20 07:56 PM

4 miles graphing, calling it off. Thanks for all the suggestions.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM