Aldeer.com

Where is the December lull

Posted By: Ryano

Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 09:23 PM

I know it differs by area, but most years we have tons of folks complaining about the December lull. I have never really experienced it. I may have missed it but I don't recall a single post about it yet.
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 09:35 PM

There has been too much complaining going on about being allowed to hunt over corn, spotted fawns not being on the do not kill list, the extended days in Feb. and Game Check for them to complain about the Dec. lull. Hang tight though......they will start on it just as soon as they catch their breath smile
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 09:36 PM

We went from seeing 6-7 deer in our most productive field (trail cam pics) at a time to not a single deer over the past two weeks in the same field. We shot 1 doe in a field a few hundred yards away and sure hope they aren't that sensitive to "pressure."
Posted By: centralala

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 09:42 PM

I've seen it for so many years that I no longer hunt in Dec. Can you kill a big one then? Sure, like any other of the 11 months of the year. But I felt my odds were greatly decreased, I screwed up with too much hunting, and I would burn myself out before the best time.
Also, I'm out everyday at 6:30am and 430pm feeding. I have yet to hear a shot that could have have been deer/coyote/hog. Only duck hunters and handgun shooters. So, it appears to be less hunting around here. Been a steady decline in hunting when the deer population crashed years ago.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 09:44 PM

Once we get a few deer shot or shot at, the big boys will go into a hole until they start cruising looking for does. You can still find them but you have to find and hunt the hole with the right wind.
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by centralala
I've seen it for so many years that I no longer hunt in Dec. Can you kill a big one then? Sure, like any other of the 11 months of the year. But I felt my odds were greatly decreased, I screwed up with too much hunting, and I would burn myself out before the best time.
Also, I'm out everyday at 6:30am and 430pm feeding. I have yet to hear a shot that could have have been deer/coyote/hog. Only duck hunters and handgun shooters. So, it appears to be less hunting around here. Been a steady decline in hunting when the deer population crashed years ago.

This right here...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 09:46 PM

December is THE time to hunt in my area. The rut is just getting going and should be wide open in a few days

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by outdoorobsession
December is THE time to hunt in my area. The rut is just getting going and should be wide open in a few days

Yea, I should have stated our average breeding time is Jan. 19. That makes a huge difference.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 09:57 PM

We have just about quit hunting our Fayette lease in December because it sucks. So we have been hunting Bankhead instead. Ruts just getting started on some of the southern tracts. Works out great for us.
Posted By: Hayzeus

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 10:36 PM

I shot a yearling doe yesterday. A whole passel of deer with her.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by gatorbait154

This right here...

Thats me I hunt for a few mins when I get a chance right by house but unless weather conditions r excellent i don't bother with the good stands...im hunting by the driveway now bout 40 yards off of it
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 11:00 PM

It shuts down in south Alabama this time of year for sure. Never done any good between the first weekend in gun season and Christmas at our club in Selma. Will probably be headed north for this next couple of weekends to hunt some public land where they are rutting. My buddy and I might try Sam R Murphy this weekend. Might do some good in the northern part of the state.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/09/19 11:22 PM

So far this year for whatever reason for me it's been a October November December lull
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 12:07 AM

Were definately in ours now, although it will bust loose after this full moon if we can get some cold weather
Posted By: billrv

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 12:10 AM

Defiantly in the lull in N.W. Fl.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 12:52 AM

It happens here. Im gona skip it this year.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 12:56 AM

From now untill Christmas is always slow where I hunt in Fayette/Lamar county.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
Once we get a few deer shot or shot at, the big boys will go into a hole until they start cruising looking for does. You can still find them but you have to find and hunt the hole with the right wind.

Mmmm hmmmm, yup! thumbup
Posted By: auburn17

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 02:45 AM

I’ve got a new lease in south bama this year and I’ve been pleasantly surprised how many daylight pics we’ve been getting of mature bucks for this time of year. It’s only 2 of us though and it is not pressured at all
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 02:50 AM

I’m probably done for now, in my area of the state the rut doesn’t get going until mid January to early February. I’ve been getting a pile of pics at night, which means the pressure has hit. Does not mean you can’t kill a good one, but it tends to work out better to let it rest. I’ll shoot some ducks until Christmas, put some nitrate on my fields and be back at them New Years.
Posted By: AUbowhunter1990

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 02:51 AM

I think people continue to hunt the same areas as they do during Oct-Nov and don’t adapt as the season progresses. That’s why some people’s deer sightings drop off. But that’s just my opinion.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 03:30 AM

Oh the lull is definitely on. You can tell by the number of recent posts in the team aldeer forum kill thread. I was going to tally up the new kills tonight but decided not to. No need.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 03:41 AM

C-o-r-n lol
Posted By: burbank

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bull64
C-o-r-n lol

Truth. I think it’s balancing out the normal lull.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 04:14 AM

Based off of my camera activity lately, I'd say we were in the thick of the lull right now
Posted By: CrappieMan

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 12:03 PM

Acorns on the ground!! Same as always.
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 01:49 PM

Yup the lull has been on in north al . Small bucks and does are all that’s moving during daylight . Few 2.5-3 year olds showing up at night but that’s about the gist of it . However ,I will be in the nastiest briar thicket on the farm tomorrow morning .

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 02:41 PM

All I know is where I live the deer have never changed in my lifetime. Weather, full moon, population changes, or anything else changes the timing of it. Fawns are are born around the first part of August. Start really seeing them around Sept. 1. Bow season deer are changing food sources to include more acorns. The first 7-10 days of gun season the bucks are still in groups. This is the best time to kill a good buck in early season. After that first 7-10 days the Dec. lull starts. Does the split up cause the lull? Does hunting cause the lull? I don't know. Around Dec. 25 lots of rubs start appearing and last 7-10 days. Then the young bucks start harassing does. Around Jan 19 is the average best breeding time. If there is a good buck on the property, now's the time to kill him. Around Jan 25 new bucks come in and nows the time to kill a big deer from somewhere else. I don't know much about Feb. Things, including the lull, never changed as far as timing. I hear about early rut and late rut but them fawns keep getting born at the same time every year
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 02:52 PM

My whole season has been a lull..and a workout

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1

It happens. Just remember it only takes 1 deer, if it's the right deer, to change your whole season.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1

It happens. Just remember it only takes 1 deer, if it's the right deer, to change your whole season.

You optimism is refreshing...but i fear that its misplaced...my area....may only have 1 deer...realistically...maybe a deer per 200-700 acres...i left about 5 cameras out on the same piece of public land here one time for probly six months...i got the same 4 deer on all my cameras until one was stolen and i pulled them all..i could not swear that i had 5-7 different deer inside 5-10sq miles...im sure there was a few more...but not many....when i tell people how desolate marshall county is for deer and turkey...im not kidding...it is a bleak and depressing land here..unless you like to fish then its excellent fishing...i know nothing of ducks
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 03:46 PM

Here is what accounts for the "December Lull"

Acorns.

They are raining down on my property right now. The Water Oaks are literally pouring out of the trees.

The solution is to get out of the shooting house and start deer hunting.
Posted By: CrappieMan

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

Here is what accounts for the "December Lull"

Acorns.

They are raining down on my property right now. The Water Oaks are literally pouring out of the trees.

The solution is to get out of the shooting house and start deer hunting.

That's all it is!!
Posted By: hallb

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 07:53 PM

Do acorns taste different when they eat them during the day vs night or something?
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by gatorbait154

This right here...

Yep wherever I have hunted in Monkeytown county - mainly the last week of Dec and first week of Jan is the lull.

I only hunt Nov and Dec days when there is a cold blast or if a camera pic shows something interesting.

I call it pulse hunting - just stay away to keep human pressure down unless the weather is cold or at least in the mid 50s.
Then hit it hard from mid January till the end.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 09:18 PM

I just hunt different properties to combat the lull...in December up in Dekalb co I am hunting rut, then I move south to elmore county and Clarke county
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/10/19 09:52 PM

Right now on our place.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/12/19 04:20 PM

Daddy says aliens take most of them away a couple weeks after Thanksgiving and brings them back a couple weeks after Christmas.
Posted By: okfuski

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/12/19 04:40 PM

All I know is where I live the deer have never changed in my lifetime. Weather, full moon, population changes, or anything else changes the timing of it. Fawns are are born around the first part of August. Start really seeing them around Sept. 1. Bow season deer are changing food sources to include more acorns. The first 7-10 days of gun season the bucks are still in groups. This is the best time to kill a good buck in early season. After that first 7-10 days the Dec. lull starts. Does the split up cause the lull? Does hunting cause the lull? I don't know. Around Dec. 25 lots of rubs start appearing and last 7-10 days. Then the young bucks start harassing does. Around Jan 19 is the average best breeding time. If there is a good buck on the property, now's the time to kill him. Around Jan 25 new bucks come in and nows the time to kill a big deer from somewhere else. I don't know much about Feb. Things, including the lull, never changed as far as timing. I hear about early rut and late rut but them fawns keep getting born at the same time every year

This is spot on for our place also. MLK day is usually the trigger for our best time.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Where is the December lull - 12/12/19 10:39 PM

We are seeing it now in Montgomery County but I would also contribute a lot of that to warm days and a big ole bright FULL MOON.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM