Aldeer.com

Blue Springs Dog Hunt?

Posted By: Coosa1

Blue Springs Dog Hunt? - 12/06/19 07:13 PM

Anyone have any experience with this WMA and the hunts that take place there? My buddy is down at the Geneva draw hunt today and said some guys were talking about a public hunt on Blue Springs next weekend. I've never hunted over dogs and would really be interested in going down there and trying it out, I just don't know where to start. Do you just pick your own random spot and hope something runs by?
Posted By: Team_Stuckem

Re: Blue Springs Dog Hunt? - 12/06/19 07:56 PM

I go every year with the guys I dog hunt with in Florida. It use to be a lot of fun but it has become really over crowded the last few years, expect to see anywhere from 300-400 people. You can just go sit in whatever spot you choose, but it's not an organized hunt like Geneva. Everyone hunts with their own party, own dogs and so forth. The best hunting is to the east across Red Wash Hill and across Hwy 137 to the west close to the National Forest boundary.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Blue Springs Dog Hunt? - 12/06/19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Stuckem
I go every year with the guys I dog hunt with in Florida. It use to be a lot of fun but it has become really over crowded the last few years, expect to see anywhere from 300-400 people. You can just go sit in whatever spot you choose, but it's not an organized hunt like Geneva. Everyone hunts with their own party, own dogs and so forth. The best hunting is to the east across Red Wash Hill and across Hwy 137 to the west close to the National Forest boundary.

Is it considered not cool to come in and sit to try and kill a deer over someone else's dogs? Meaning would I catch flack for just showing up down there alone with no dogs and hunting?
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Blue Springs Dog Hunt? - 12/06/19 08:04 PM

Lots of bigguns have been killed on the red wash
Posted By: Team_Stuckem

Re: Blue Springs Dog Hunt? - 12/06/19 08:08 PM

I would highly doubt anyone would say anything. There are a lot of people that do the very thing. We have had people kill deer ahead of our dogs that weren't hunting with us. That's just part of dog hunting and we are happy that someone killed the deer. My biggest suggestion would be: Don't pull up in the middle of a section that already has standers around it. If you are on a stand before a hunting party lines up a section, there is nothing anyone can say. In fact most people are gonna tell you to be ready cause they are turning dogs loose from this direction. If you happen to have a handheld vhf radio take it with you, you might meet up with a party that needs an extra stander and will give their vhf channel.
Posted By: Peach

Re: Blue Springs Dog Hunt? - 12/07/19 12:33 AM

They were a lot of fun in the early 80's. I have'nt been on one since..
Posted By: Orion34

Re: Blue Springs Dog Hunt? - 12/07/19 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Coosa1

Is it considered not cool to come in and sit to try and kill a deer over someone else's dogs? Meaning would I catch flack for just showing up down there alone with no dogs and hunting?

I think you had better be prepared to share the meat with the dogs’ owners of any deer you kill in front of their dogs. Unless you are a really big ole boy...
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Blue Springs Dog Hunt? - 12/07/19 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Orion34

I think you had better be prepared to share the meat with the dogs’ owners of any deer you kill in front of their dogs. Unless you are a really big ole boy...

I have been around dog hunting all my life and have never seen or heard of anyone expecting a hunter to give them meat from a deer killed in front of their dogs. Most dog hunters will invite you to stand the roads or at least back stand them Incase one slips out of the drive.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Blue Springs Dog Hunt? - 12/07/19 03:35 AM

I don’t have any experience with that hunt but I encourage everyone to go on a good organized dog hunt at least once.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Blue Springs Dog Hunt? - 12/07/19 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by BayedUp
Originally Posted by Orion34

I have been around dog hunting all my life and have never seen or heard of anyone expecting a hunter to give them meat from a deer killed in front of their dogs. Most dog hunters will invite you to stand the roads or at least back stand them Incase one slips out of the drive.

Idk Brent prob whoop that a $$ if it was his dogs....😁
© 2024 ALDEER.COM