Aldeer.com

% of bucks

Posted By: MarksOutdoors

% of bucks - 12/04/19 08:57 PM

About what % of your sightings, while hunting, have been bucks this season? I've seen 14 deer and zero have been bucks.
I know January will save the day.
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:02 PM

50/50
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:03 PM

I’m batting about the same average as you. I’ve seen 16 and only one had antlers. Another I thought was a doe ended up being a button head upon evaluation after the shot. Been a weird season here in SC. Haven’t really found the buck sign I have the past couple of season. I know they are there but they aren’t scraping and rubbing like I’ve seen before. Maybe that’ll change this weekend.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:10 PM

Dang. I have seen way more bucks than does. Problem is that they are not yet big enough to put a crosshair on them. It's like spikes and fork horns are following me around. Maybe somebody is putting tinks 69 on my boots or something. LOL.
Posted By: Out back

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:11 PM

So, do ya'll shoot does?
I'm always amused by the crowd who says, "I never shoot a doe, but I never see bucks."
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:12 PM

100%

(of course, I've only seen 2 deer while hunting...........did jump a doe later that day while checking a camera, but didn't have my bow with me, so wasn't "hunting")
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
So, do ya'll shoot does?
I'm always amused by the crowd who says, "I never shoot a doe, but I never see bucks."
Posted By: jb20

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:23 PM

Think I've seen 8 does and 5 bucks and several yearling n fawns
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:25 PM

There’s no way I can keep up. One day I’m gonna log each hunt for a season.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:25 PM

The most I had one time this year was a little over 30 does and 8 bucks.
Posted By: rblaker

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:43 PM

7 bucks and 6 does so far
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:46 PM

So, do ya'll shoot does?

I’ve killed 7 does and I’m seeing as many bucks as I am does right now. Several hunts more bucks than does.
Posted By: bigt

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:51 PM

4 bucks and 6 does and I haven't shot a doe in a long time.
Posted By: G/H

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:54 PM

Two bucks and a bunch of does
Posted By: Ruger8point

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 09:58 PM

2 bucks 5 does so far. By the season end I expect like 4-16 or 5-20
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
So, do ya'll shoot does?

I’ve killed 7 does and I’m seeing as many bucks as I am does right now. Several hunts more bucks than does.

Thats nuts. I have never experienced anything like that, it would be neat though.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 10:21 PM

25 does 2 spikes
Posted By: Wambaw

Re: % of bucks - 12/04/19 11:57 PM

Dang that's crazy. I routinely see 20 -30 each hunt. Honestly don't count them. Mostly does. I did see 35 one morning this year when I did count. Depends on the tract for % of bucks.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 12:00 AM

seeing as many bucks as i am does.....it has been that way for several years..
Posted By: lectrode

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 12:33 AM

Im not seeing nearly as many bucks this year as in years past. Probably a hundred does and 10 bucks. No big bucks
Posted By: Catfish28

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 12:52 AM

I’ve hunted 5 times and I’ve seen 6 bucks and zero does. I usually see more bucks on this place but this is unusual.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 01:02 AM

Ive hunted..ive hunted probly 20-25 times and ive seen 3 bucks an 5-7 does...all totally different locations for the most part and i saw the majority inside maybe 3 or 4 hunts.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 01:07 AM

Also....some of yall...need to ship some deer up here to marshall county...datgum..id stroke out if i saw more than 10 deer a year here hunting...much less one sit...ive seen lots if deer before...and in alabama....but dang it wutdnt here.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 01:18 AM

22.2%
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 01:22 AM

We’ve seen probably 20-30 does and maybe 8 bucks those are different deer we see the same does and little bucks pretty regularly.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 01:53 AM

10 does, 3 different bucks. I shot a doe last Wednesday 10 yard bowshot. I have a half a small freezer full of ground venison from last year. I don't need any more meat. I am hunting decent bucks for now.
Posted By: Stickers

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 01:58 AM

4 hunts. 1 buck/ 5 does.
Posted By: ColeT

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 02:49 AM

I’ve got one property where 75% of the deer I see are bucks. The other one is about 20%.

Last hunt there. 4 bucks and one doe.
The one before. Same stand. 8 bucks. 2 doe.

Posted By: Fishboy

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 03:09 AM

Saw 10 does and 1 little spike opening day of Gun. 2 does the next hunt. None killed yet but we usually kill 1 each so 3 total. Last year no bucks during day til January but we only hunted green fields, plan on sitting the woods a bit more this year, and there’s a couple golden acorn dispensers going off 2x daily if all else fails.
I’d love to know which areas y’all are seeing these large double digit deer herds. We’re in south East conecuh
Posted By: pickenstj

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 05:14 AM

Just this weekend, while in the stand I talked to my grandson about how blessed we are. I told him that some folks I read about here see five deer in ten trips. He could not imagine. We have seen probably 100 does and a couple dozen bucks. He killed one and we had an absolute monster get by us. We are truly, truly blessed. We do not shoot does.
Posted By: Zzzfog

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 10:46 AM

Probably 50/50
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 02:44 PM

6 BUCKS 1 DOE THUS FAR
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 02:50 PM

If you are seeing deer but aren't seeing bucks someone shot them.

The reality is this... If you are not seeing enough bucks start shooting does and you won't have to worry about seeing all those does. You can just sit there and watch an empty field.

Serious. That's how it works.

Most can't seem to figure that out.

Posted By: Remington270

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

The reality is this... If you are not seeing enough bucks start shooting does and you won't have to worry about seeing all those does. You can just sit there and watch an empty field.

It's unbelievably hard for people to understand this.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270

It's unbelievably hard for people to understand this.

Yeah, I'm not above shooting a doe..........in fact, while I haven't killed a ton of deer in my life, most were does - though never more than 2 in a season. But, common sense tells you that only half the deer are capable of creating more deer, so I've never understood the "we need to wipe out a chit-ton of does" mentality...

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 06:46 PM

The idea that less does around will "stir up the bucks" MIGHT be true for a week per year. But all the other time you're left with fewer deer sightings....and fewer female deer to make more bucks in the coming years.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 06:55 PM

The idea that less does around will "stir up the bucks" MIGHT be true for a week per year. But all the other time you're left with fewer deer sightings....and fewer female deer to make more bucks in the coming years.

Totally wrong.
You're thinking like a human. Deer ain't humans.
You'll never achieve a 1/1 ratio, but the closer you get the more bucks you'll see.
Posted By: eskimo270

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 07:53 PM

I have hunted three mornings this week and have seen 10 bucks, 9 does

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 07:54 PM

Outback speaketh truth. It’s also hard to comprehend that bucks will often seek out better habitat with more resources and cover, away from doe social units for about 10 months out of year. If you improve your habitat, balance your ratio by removing some does(not eliminating them), then your buck observations will almost certainly increase.
Posted By: BradB

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 08:23 PM

Well obviously I have have created the dreaded "doe sink" with my habitat improvements. Have sat twice and saw 17 does and 11 does respectively. Not an antler to be seen.But they are there and for sure will be seen starting about January 15-30.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 08:26 PM

I’m hoping there’s a few less does on my place at dark today

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 08:35 PM

How would you go about figuring out your doe to buck ratio if you wanted to do it yourself?
Posted By: Cooperjohn

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 08:39 PM

16 does 3 spikes. I

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
How would you go about figuring out your doe to buck ratio if you wanted to do it yourself?

Do a camera survey. There’s several good ones on line. MSU has a good pdf on their deer lab site that explains how to accurately conduct a survey.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 09:25 PM

Outback speaketh truth. It’s also hard to comprehend that bucks will often seek out better habitat with more resources and cover, away from doe social units for about 10 months out of year. If you improve your habitat, balance your ratio by removing some does(not eliminating them), then your buck observations will almost certainly increase.

If you shoot the does you will see more bucks?

100% False Statement. You will see less deer overall.

1) There is NOWHERE in this state that is overpopulated with deer. Show me and area with starving deer. You cant. Let's end that asinine assumption right there. If it exists in some local area that does not impact the entire State, fine but the rules Statewide are shoot everything you see.

#1 doesn't exist as an excuse for a Statewide open season.

2) Shoot 10 does and draw XX number of bucks off your neighbor's property because you have better habitat? Really? .

How about this.... and it doesn't take a college degree in deer management to understand - if you leave the 10 does and they drop one fawn each... you will have 5 bucks just using 50%. What if some drop 2 fawns then what? How many bucks do you have next year then? Are you gonna draw 8 bucks off your neighbors property because you have better habitat? If your neighbor was overpopulated with bucks how did that even happen? What? You hunting on 10,000 acres or something? It is not possible unless you are shooting all the small bucks yourself creating a circular problem. Those facts are like Adam Shiff's fact pattern. They don't support each other.

#2 is stupid.

3) What if you neighbor blasts every spike that walks past? You aren't seeing any bucks but read on ALDeer to blast does. You shoot 10. Next season you have 20 less deer, minimum. Some of which were and will die of natural causes either way.

#3 is stupid.

This is the EXACT problem with the State's management plan.

Most importantly I want to qualify my argument.... We shot several deer including does last 2 weeks on our place. We took out a couple older does that were punks and would come around the shooting house and start blowing every time someone was in it. Shot one that looked sick. One three legged buck 1/2 rack hobbling around buck that must have been hit by a car or got caught in a fence.

That is a picture of proper deer management.

I am not against shooting does.

I am against the above mentality that is - shoot deer you will have more deer.

Dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 09:28 PM

Okay.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 09:35 PM

Name calling will get you nowhere in life.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 09:39 PM

I am not calling anyone Stupid. I am calling the theory Stupid.

It is a total and absolute loss of common sense.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 09:42 PM

That's you're opinion.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 09:44 PM

That's right.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 09:47 PM

I am not calling anyone Stupid. I am calling the theory Stupid.

It is a total and absolute loss of common sense.

Animals do not have common sense. They don't have the ability to reason or feel emotions or send valentines flowers.
They are wild and they operate on pure primal instinct. This is the single most difficult aspect for humans to comprehend.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts
That's you're opinion.

Your damnit. Your

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Originally Posted by jaredhunts
That's you're opinion.

Your damnit. Your

Thought it was youir?

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 09:53 PM

Use to is write.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 10:00 PM

I dont know the statics. But I hunt 200 acres south Chilton. I had 4 good bucks coming
regularly with 3 spikes and 4 does.They were business as usual until gun season started.
For the last 2 weeks I put out 300 pounds of corn, the deer has disappeared completely.
The land is and always been really good to hold big deer.
All I can figure is the neighbors has pulled them.
One of my problems is the neighbor has alot of land,and is a big
Time farmer who shoots alot of deer off his crops at night and throughout
The summer. They do get the proper permit so they are legal. In my opinion
Chilton County does not have a great population to do this. I'm in a club in
Cossa County now I see deer all the time there.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 10:10 PM

Are you saying that a lack of does will somehow attract more bucks, outside of the rut? How is this possible?

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 10:16 PM

Are you saying that a lack of does will somehow attract more bucks, outside of the rut? How is this possible?

More food and less stress.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 10:17 PM

Does will eat the racks off the bucks if they could.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 10:18 PM

Oh, they're not saying kill all your does, just then them out for a balanced herd.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 10:28 PM

I have hunted 3 afternoons and seen 24 bucks.
I did not keep up with the # of does. But, it was about the same, or less. And, several of those ‘does’ were fawns that may well have been bucks. But they were unantlered deer.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 10:34 PM

I used to be on the "balance the herd" qdma theory and honestly, saw less deer doing it with no increase really in buck sightings/size. I have seen too many deer to count and about the same amount of bucks and does to be honest on places that we either don't shoot does or only shoot the old barren does without yearlings. I agree with Goatkiller's opinion about laying off blasting does as well as others opinions on planting the best food you can while increasing the habitat, hunting smart, and applying as little of pressure as possible. We also limit the shooting of does on fields, so it really minimizes the pressure.

Back to the OP's post: I have seen about 60-40 Doe to buck ratio with a hundred or so deer sightings. A lot of 2/3 yr old bucks but no bigguns just yet.

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 11:49 PM

I hate marshall county

Re: % of bucks - 12/05/19 11:56 PM

I’m saying that 10 months out of the year, or longer, bucks think with their stomach. They’re enslaved to food. Provide the food and lay off the trigger and you’ll see more bucks. They do not like to compete with umpteen does and fawns for food, and typically shy away from these doe units until rut. Balance out the sex ratio the best you can and you’ll have incredible experiences. I’m not repeating some text book. I’m telling what works in the real world from managing properties. A lot of you who don’t fully grasp this concept I’m afraid were part of a QDM property that was grossly mismanaged by someone who wasn’t qualified to be managing deer herds. It’s all about habitat and low pressure, and keeping deer populations at a reasonable level that’s both productive and sustainable. High doe populations do not ever equate to larger, healthier and more bucks. Having a ratio skewed heavily toward does actually leads to LESS reproductive success. That’s not a stupid idea or theory. It’s fact based with data. It’s been replicated thousands of times. Bucks will stay with a doe for 12-36 hours while she’s in estrous. They won’t leave her. They will breed her several times. So will other bucks if given the chance. While they’re locked down on her there’s other does in estrous that aren’t getting bred if the sex ratio is skewed heavily to females. This leads to fewer buck sightings, less reproductive success, and bucks that wear themselves down over an extended breeding period. This is also dependent on neighbors. If you knock back a few does and hold off on bucks, and the properties around you are heavy on buck harvest, it’s all in vain and you’ll never get to see what I’m talking about.
Posted By: hallb

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 12:08 AM

I’m saying that 10 months out of the year, or longer, bucks think with their stomach. They’re enslaved to food. Provide the food and lay off the trigger and you’ll see more bucks. They do not like to compete with umpteen does and fawns for food, and typically shy away from these doe units until rut. Balance out the sex ratio the best you can and you’ll have incredible experiences. I’m not repeating some text book. I’m telling what works in the real world from managing properties. A lot of you who don’t fully grasp this concept I’m afraid were part of a QDM property that was grossly mismanaged by someone who wasn’t qualified to be managing deer herds. It’s all about habitat and low pressure, and keeping deer populations at a reasonable level that’s both productive and sustainable. High doe populations do not ever equate to larger, healthier and more bucks. Having a ratio skewed heavily toward does actually leads to LESS reproductive success. That’s not a stupid idea or theory. It’s fact based with data. It’s been replicated thousands of times. Bucks will stay with a doe for 12-36 hours while she’s in estrous. They won’t leave her. They will breed her several times. So will other bucks if given the chance. While they’re locked down on her there’s other does in estrous that aren’t getting bred if the sex ratio is skewed heavily to females. This leads to fewer buck sightings, less reproductive success, and bucks that wear themselves down over an extended breeding period. This is also dependent on neighbors. If you knock back a few does and hold off on bucks, and the properties around you are heavy on buck harvest, it’s all in vain and you’ll never get to see what I’m talking about.

And to your last point about neighbors, let's face it, most of us aren't managing 4k acres. In my situation, we have roughly 430 acres of privately owned land with just my partner and whoever we have over hunting, so that means our deer also spend a lot of time on the neighboring properties. I know there is a fair amount of bucks and does from camera pics, but the sightings are probably 90/10% does to bucks. I'd say based on pics just a guess our buck to doe ratio is maybe 3-4:1. We have done lots to help the habitat and there is tons of food and food options available to them right now on our property. We are struggling with do we go ahead and take out a fair number of does or do we just not pester them this year and see what the rut brings. This is our first year on the property, just closed on it January of this year.
Posted By: Ant67

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 12:38 AM

Probably close to 10 does per buck sighted. If you count spikes

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 01:18 AM

I saw 10 does and one small buck this evening. I reckon thats a pretty normal ratio of what ill see in my foodplot. However in a treestand in the woods my buck to doe ratio would go way up but still nowhere close to 1:1
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 02:04 AM

I've seen around 35 does and 2 bucks.. and one of those was a 1.5yr old spike 😞

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 02:29 AM

I’ve seen 35 does, 38 fawns, 32 bucks.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 02:44 AM

I haven’t seen 32 bucks in the last 3 years 😂

Of course that 90% public land hunting. This season I’ve seen 3 bucks and probably 30 does.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 02:47 AM

Just my 2 cents you cant effectively manage a herd unless you have a pile of land. You can’t control what your neighbors do and it is impossible to manage a small piece of property. You can try or whatever but if it’s not high fenced the deer can roam and go wherever they want. I feel that if the area can’t support the deer with food or habitat they will move on and find something better. I’ve got place that is 160 acres and was shot up when I got it. After not shooting does for six years now you can go just about anywhere on the property and see 1-8 deer per sit bucks and does. Back when we got it you might see that 1-8 a season and when the rut started the bucks I had on camera left because there wasn’t any does but out of that 160 acres there’s not that many deer living on it they are living on my neighbors and coming to my land to eat. I’ve got another 450 acres and it’s loaded with deer you see a ton of does and fawns but handfuls of bucks until the rut. For example the other day one morning I saw 12 deer all does and every one of them had a fawn with them and the afternoon I saw three bucks and one doe. Sometimes you will see 20 deer and sometimes you will see 2 so how do you justify shooting does when some may not live on the property.

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

I haven’t seen 32 bucks in the last 3 years 😂

Of course that 90% public land hunting. This season I’ve seen 3 bucks and probably 30 does.

I ain't on private land 😃 we just don't have many deer but Its pretty close ratio for what I hunt anyway

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 02:52 AM

Ive seen 3 bucks 5 doe....ismy duck to boe radius unflatulated
Posted By: mike35549

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 02:55 AM

We usually see about 2/1 more does than bucks. During the rut that number will a lot closer to 1/1. We don't shoot very many does, however we also don't shoot very many bucks. We do however see deer on almost ever hunt. From what I know about all the people that hunts the a joining properties I would say they are about the same on all accounts. Unless you have a large piece of property there is very little you can do on your own to effect anything.
Posted By: blade

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 03:23 AM

30 or more does, only one buck.
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 11:33 AM

Keep in mind if you see 10 fawns, approximately half are males. People are bad about lumping all fawns in the doe category.
Posted By: centralala

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by OlTimer
Keep in mind if you see 10 fawns, approximately half are males. People are bad about lumping all fawns in the doe category.

Game Check does it.

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 12:32 PM

I can say for a fact small properties can be "managed " for great hunting. No, can't stop the deer from roaming. Some to a lot may get killed around. But 100 acres can provide some outstanding hunting even with pressure from the neighbors. That pressure will even help. Take that 100 acres and find the middle 40 acres. Clear cut. Put about 5 of the 40 acres in food. Let the other 35 acres grow. Any large acorn producers, release them. Do nothing attractive to deer near property lines. Apply little pressure and never hunt when wind is wrong. The outside pressure will help push deer to this during day light hours. They will use the neighbors more at night and less in the day resulting in a few more surviving. Will you see 50 deer a day? NO! Will you see 20 different bucks in a season? PROBABLY NOT! But you will have better hunting and an increased change at a mature buck.

Hunting in Alabama is headed to smaller properties as more and more land is divided. We hunters better learn what it takes to have a quality experience on these small properties.

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by centralala

Game Check does it.

Have you used game check? It specifies antlered or unantlered and male or female for every deer. So it does not lump them all into the doe category at all.

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by centralala

Game Check does it.

Have you used game check? It specifies antlered or unantlered and male or female for every deer. So it does not lump them all into the doe category at all.

No, I have not. My harvest record shows Antlered buck and unaltered deer.

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 05:01 PM

High doe populations do not ever equate to larger, healthier and more bucks. Having a ratio skewed heavily toward does actually leads to LESS reproductive success. That’s not a stupid idea or theory. It’s fact based with data. It’s been replicated thousands of times. Bucks will stay with a doe for 12-36 hours while she’s in estrous. They won’t leave her. They will breed her several times. So will other bucks if given the chance. While they’re locked down on her there’s other does in estrous that aren’t getting bred if the sex ratio is skewed heavily to females. This leads to fewer buck sightings, less reproductive success, and bucks that wear themselves down over an extended breeding period. This is also dependent on neighbors. If you knock back a few does and hold off on bucks, and the properties around you are heavy on buck harvest, it’s all in vain and you’ll never get to see what I’m talking about.

What leads to fewer buck sightings is shooting small bucks.

IF you have too many does... someone shot the bucks... right? I mean that is the only logical explanation. Who was it... was it your neighbor or a rogue club member? Doesn't matter.

So what are you going to do then... shoot a bunch of does so that you will have more bucks.

That makes no sense. None. Not even a little bit.

Knock back a few does and hold off on the bucks... that will never happen for most hunters in this State only a select few are lucky enough to have enough acres that we aren't sharing deer with our neighbors. One Truth here.... ultimately this comes down to your neighbors. This I can get on board with. The people around you are the biggest influence.

What y'all need to think about is how many people are out there trying to do this whole deer management thing the right way and all their efforts are in vain. They can't manage their herd on their 400 acres because the State has created an environment that promotes blasting everything you see, apparently now including spotted fawns.

Y'all are trying to apply a technical theory that works in a vaccum as a Statewide management plan. IMO it is ruining the hunting in this State for a lot of people. We are not wiping out our deer herd under our current system. There is no crisis as a result of promoting doe blasting. But after 20 years of unfettered doe shooting we still have too many does Statewide. Otherwise why would y'all still be promoting unfettered doe blasting.

Y'alls application of the "shoot more does" theory is CLEARLY not working. All it has really served to do is degrade the quality of hunting in terms of shooting a nice buck...... for probably more hunters than you realize. In my opinion it is a LOT of people.

Let's ignore crop damage... Does anyone really care that they are seeing too many deer? I've never heard anyone say they wish they had only seen 2 deer instead of 18. What they care about is they are not seeing enough bucks and/or they can't grow a decent buck on their little slice of the pie.

Shooting more "deer" is not the answer to this.

IMO blasting deer IS the problem NOT the solution.

Having too many does is a problem looking for a solution and that solution is.... who's shooting the bucks? You can inscribe that on my Tombstone because that is the ultimate truth in all of this.

I'm not agruing with you specifically Matt just the theory -

I don't want to beat a dead horse so I'm not posting anymore on this thread. I've said my peace.

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 05:15 PM

Anyone have any data they can share? We all have our beliefs on this based off personal experience, but scientific data is key.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 05:55 PM

You guys seeing so few deer are you paying to hunt that land?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb

I laugh at a lot of people in clubs these days. We see 3-4 times as many deer on public land as they do their clubs. I did it a few years and will go back to straight public before joining a cheaper club.

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb

No
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 07:35 PM

A lot of clubs simply have too much pressure, human scent, noise, 4wheelers, truck door slamming, people talking and laughing out loud.

I don't allow any noise on my place.
Not even talking.
No talking allowed.
And mandatory max scent reduction - and then I spray the guest down again with scent killer.
I won't accept that they sprayed down themselves already unless I see it with my own two eyes.
Posted By: Semo

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by WmHunter
A lot of clubs simply have too much pressure, human scent, noise, 4wheelers, truck door slamming, people talking and laughing out loud.

Not even talking.
No talking allowed.
And mandatory max scent reduction - and then I spray the guest down again with scent killer.
I won't accept that they sprayed down themselves already unless I see it with my own two eyes.

sounds like fun.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Semo

Not even talking.
No talking allowed.

sounds like fun.

Just like a barrel of monkeys, lol.

I do allow talking at the very front where the gate is, but only in a whisper.

People would be amazed at how far voices carry in the woods. One time my uncle was yacking with my dad
500 yards away from my position after a morning hunt and I could understand practically every word he was saying.
I know deer could hear it from an even greater distance.

If you are hunting mature bucks you have to do every single thing imaginable to not mess things up.

Re: % of bucks - 12/06/19 11:54 PM

Not even talking.
No talking allowed.

Huh...you hunt with whild bill..cause that saounds like somethin hed do
Posted By: hallb

Re: % of bucks - 12/07/19 12:03 AM

Our house is right smack in the middle of our property. We are here a lot. We are driving the roads, working, doing all the things it takes to keep up a piece of property all year long. We are in what I would consider a rural residential area, not in the middle of nowhere. Our deer are pretty used to human presence.

Re: % of bucks - 12/07/19 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by hallb
Our house is right smack in the middle of our property. We are here a lot. We are driving the roads, working, doing all the things it takes to keep up a piece of property all year long. We are in what I would consider a rural residential area, not in the middle of nowhere. Our deer are pretty used to human presence.

Ya as long as u don't blast everything u see you'll be fine my deer round house r pretty easy goin...the more your around em the more comfortable they r but u gotta do something a lil different if u wanna kill big daddy..walk further, go in a different way ect. The matures one r comfortable as long as they know what's happening they just sit still
Posted By: Orion34

Re: % of bucks - 12/07/19 01:00 AM

There’s a lot I don’t know about it or ever will compared to some of you, but on a few of the properties that I hunt, slick heads are just as scarce as bucks. The numbers might be balanced, problem is there just ain’t many of either. If you are seeing way more does than bucks, it might be a problem of shooting too many bucks rather than whacking too few does. A biologist once told me “you can’t shoot your way out of a problem you shot your way in to.” Makes sense. He said if you’re not killing every buck you see, it’s hard to push the buck to doe ratio much beyond a few or several does for every buck. Said something to the effect the only real reason or need to shoot does is when the number of fetuses per doe is declining. Not sure how you know but seems like a good idea especially when so many fawns that hit the ground get eaten by coyotes.
Posted By: OutdoorsAL

Re: % of bucks - 12/07/19 02:01 AM

I hunt 450 acres in Randolph co. Georgia . I have kept a log the past several years and and I consistently see 2.5 bucks to every doe. Same this year so far as I’ve seen 17bucks and 6 doe. Cameras I have had out the past couple seasons verify this. Here is my reasoning behind this . This county is a trophy county , allowing only bucks with four points on one side to be taken.. I think too many doe are taken because of the antler restriction. Our neighbor who hunts 100 acres beside us has historically in the past 7-8 years hardly ever hunted a Saturday or Sunday morning without firing a shot. Luckily we didn’t hear much shooting from him last year and no shots from him this year so far. He must not be as mad at them as he used to be.Add that to the fact that the the two guys on our property who have been responsible for 75 % of our doe harvest the past nine tears no longer hunt there, and I think our doe numbers will improve. A typical harvest for a season there will about 10 does and 4-5 bucks. So far this year we are at two does and three bucks. My best day for deer sighting ever was the day after thanksgiving when smaller bucks were starting to chase , my daughter and I saw 15, eleven of which were bucks. Ywo four points, two six points and the rest small to medium sized 8 points. My 13 year old daughter on her second hunt ever that day got one of the smaller 8 points. The others were out of her comfortable range and smaller than than the one I killed the previous week so they got a pass.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: % of bucks - 12/07/19 12:48 PM

Does are like cats. They are all a$$holes. I’m about to the point where we are fixing to start thinning them older blowing bishes out. They run every buck away from our camera sites and just stay there and eat everything we put in front of the cams. We had not killed more then 2-3 does a year on our place for the last 5 years. It’s looking like it’s biting us in the arse now. Seems like they just walk around all afternoon blowing everywhere. I’ve seen 1 spike while hunting so far this season but tons of does and yearlings. Lots of does with twins also. We got plenty of good bucks on camera until them greedy arse does show up and run em off.

Re: % of bucks - 12/07/19 01:06 PM

Does and spikes will certainly give you away. I have,2 spikes
I see Everytime I go to that spot.They will come to eat
And br spooky Everytime I see them,They will learn you alot
If you pay attention.I have 2 good bucks on cam there.
They are using the spikes as there look outs
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: % of bucks - 12/07/19 03:13 PM

Up to 17 deer now seen without one, single buck. This is public land so there is only a 2 week doe season.
Posted By: Stickers

Re: % of bucks - 12/08/19 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stickers
4 hunts. 1 buck/ 5 does.

UPDATE: Add three more hunts- 2 bucks 17 does
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: % of bucks - 12/09/19 12:07 AM

7 does, 3 bucks, killed 2 bucks
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: % of bucks - 12/09/19 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by MarksOutdoors
About what % of your sightings, while hunting, have been bucks this season? I've seen 14 deer and zero have been bucks.
I know January will save the day.

I hunt in Wayne Co TN, but my report to submit is 4 total sits this season, 8 does, 6 bucks. One of those bucks is in my freezer.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM