Aldeer.com

Shooting fawns legal now?

Posted By: Coosa1

Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/03/19 11:37 PM

Anyone else seen this? Not my convo with the WFF I just took a screenshot of it where it was posted on Facebook. Why, just why? I mean I get that a deer is a deer but dang it won’t look good on anyone whenever people start posting pics standing over spotted fawns.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Morris

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/03/19 11:39 PM

Wth
Posted By: Out back

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/03/19 11:41 PM

Years ago, my ex-brother in law would wait until dark, spotlight the cotton fields, shoot a spotted fawn and throw it on the grill whole.
I loved staying at his camp. That was some fine eating.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/03/19 11:44 PM

If somebody shoots a spotted fawn in our club they will be hunting somewhere else to hunt.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/03/19 11:46 PM

Be careful, a message posted on facebook is dang sure not the regulation. Find the official regulation first. Fawns are delicious though, when I was a teen a car in front of me on 29 head hit one and picked it up and we grilled it whole. It was tasty. The facebook though is correct, there is not a biological reason to not kill a spotted fawn.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/03/19 11:56 PM

It is legal.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 12:01 AM

I wouldn't want it counting against my buck quota 😃
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
If somebody shoots a spotted fawn in our club they will be hunting somewhere else to hunt.

This ^^^^ Immediately
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by olemossy

This ^^^^ Immediately

Why?

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ben2

This ^^^^ Immediately

Why?

That's what I'm wondering too. I usually don't shoot young deer but I have no problem with it.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 12:38 AM

This ^^^^ Immediately

Why?

Just the way i was brought up hunting. No does and definitely no fawns. I realize its like eating calf or lamb, but i just aint pulling the trigger on no fawn.

And i dont plan on hunting with folks that trigger hungry.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 12:39 AM

I couldn't make myself shoot one I don't think but I get the point.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 12:40 AM

Everybody can take their crossbow or rifle and hunt over corn now so might as well make it legal to shoot every freaking thing that moves while they’re at it.
Posted By: Jason Carroll

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 12:42 AM

Years ago I killed one on a deprivation hunt at night with a light. I felt pretty bad to say the least. I didn't know how small it was, didn't have spots but if you looked close enough you could probably see some. Put it on the grill whole, man it was the best meat I've ever had... I mean it was flat out delicious.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 12:54 AM

Meh

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 01:40 AM

They taste just like any other deer to me
Nothing special about the meat
Posted By: BigCole9212

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 02:41 AM

While I guess it may be legal, some people need to have morals. Like they said, there is NO reason to shoot a fawn. It is common sense that if you want your deer population to flourish, then you shouldn't shoot fawns. I feel bad about taking a doe with a fawn much less a fawn with a doe. I just cannot think of a logical reason to shoot a fawn.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 02:44 AM

spotted fawns and abortion...it aint cool. Spread the word.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 03:35 AM

Just cause it's legal don't mean we gotta do it
Ethics and morals come into play here ain't no way I'd send something down range at a spotted fawn just brought up in a different time I reckon
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by BigCole9212
While I guess it may be legal, some people need to have morals. Like they said, there is NO reason to shoot a fawn. It is common sense that if you want your deer population to flourish, then you shouldn't shoot fawns. I feel bad about taking a doe with a fawn much less a fawn with a doe. I just cannot think of a logical reason to shoot a fawn.

I’m not saying I would shoot one, but how does killing a fawn hurt the population differently than any other deer?

My first bow kill still had spots on it. Didn’t see them until I shot her. I was just excited to have a deer in range.
Posted By: MC21

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 03:48 AM

I would never shoot a spotted fawn but I have messed up and shot a fawn before. I’ve done it twice actually.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 03:49 AM

I’ve killed a few small ones on accident and yes they are tender but I won’t even shoot a doe with fawns let alone a fawn. No sense in it at all.
Posted By: MC21

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by doekiller
Originally Posted by BigCole9212

I’m not saying I would shoot one, but how does killing a fawn hurt the population differently than any other deer?

My first bow kill still had spots on it. Didn’t see them until I shot her. I was just excited to have a deer in range.

Because you have to shoot 3 spotted fawns to get the same amount of meat of one regular sized deer grin

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 03:56 AM

I'll be devil's advocate here. Which one helps the deer population more, killing a mature doe that can be bred there for dropping probably two babies that would boost the population, or killing a young deer that is not old enough to breed yet? Not talking spotted fawn, just young deer in general...
Posted By: AMB

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 04:58 AM

There’s also no biological reason to open turkey season on a Saturday.................
Posted By: CAL

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 05:49 AM

I’d rather someone kill a baby instead of a 2 year old buck. Only 1/2 year in that one and fine eating.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ar1220
Ethics and morals come into play here ain't no way I'd send something down range at a spotted fawn just brought up in a different time I reckon

What is unethical or immoral about shooting a fawn. It's just a young deer most of the time the spots are gone by hunting season. How many button bucks get killed every yr, those are all fawns and I never hear anyone call it immoral or unethical.
Posted By: James

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 12:51 PM

What is unethical or immoral about shooting a fawn. It's just a young deer most of the time the spots are gone by hunting season. How many button bucks get killed every yr, those are all fawns and I never hear anyone call it immoral or unethical.

Sure there are button bucks killed every year, and i expect that number to increase now smh. To each his own but i don't like it......

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by James

Sure there are button bucks killed every year, and i expect that number to increase now smh. To each his own but i don't like it......

I did not say I liked it but I dont see anything immoral or unethical about it. I guess in South Bama they may see more deer with spots on them but in central bama I rarely see one in deer season with spots anyway
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
It is legal.

Abortion is legal.....don't make it right

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 01:18 PM

I just can't bring myself to understand why they would change it, even if there isn't a biological reason not to. I'm about to jump on the "DCNR is out to kill off all of our deer" conspiracy boat....

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
Originally Posted by Mbrock
It is legal.

Abortion is legal.....don't make it right

I support abortion for democrats.
And I don't give a damn about killing a young deer, or a young squirrel, a young rabbit, a young dove, a Calf, or a small fish.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 02:00 PM

I was just pointing out that it’s legal. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Posted By: Lead Poison

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Skinny

Amen on that!
Posted By: Swampdrummin

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 07:52 PM

Get ready for the Facebook posts and the defense of doing something that’s completely legal.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lead Poison

Amen on that!

Yeah it is not cool at all.
Ridiculous as a matter of fact.
I have no respect for anyone that would shoot a fawn.

Now how the heck did this happen?
What was the process?
Did the someone at the CAB actually recommend this?
Publicize the proposal?
Have a hearing on it?

The dumbing down and de-ethicalization of deer hunting continues, SMDH.

*yeah I know de-ethicalization isn't an actual word, but it is the best I could come up with to describe what is going on.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Swampdrummin
Get ready for the Facebook posts and the defense of doing something that’s completely legal.

No problem. I don't have FB.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 08:41 PM

Outback,

Best for fawn head shots? Ballistic tip or BTSP lead in .243?

Thanks,

Alabama's Hunters
Posted By: noeyeddeer

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

Outback,

Thanks,

Alabama's Hunters

What about .17 HMR 20 grain HP? That ought to do it, right?
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 08:49 PM

This is where the line has gotten REALLY blurry in Alabama between "Hunting" and "Shooting Deer".

In general "Hunting" produces a class of sportsmen that take pride in the sport.

"Shooting Deer" produces and entire State full of outlaws that don't care about Wildlife Management, having rules and reporting their deer. Just look at GameCheck.

You Sleep In The Bed You Make.

Y'all should think about this.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by noeyeddeer

Outback,

Thanks,

Alabama's Hunters

That would be illegal.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
Originally Posted by noeyeddeer

Outback,

Thanks,

Alabama's Hunters

That would be illegal.

Sorry, what about .17 hornet? That's center fire, right?

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 09:25 PM

17 hornet would be fine.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 10:35 PM

So its cool to kill a fawn to get a handful of meat?

Why do we have fish size limits then? Cant we just keep tiny crappie, bass and blue gill then? Since it "doesnt" matter? What kind of bs is goin on here.

This has been a crazy year.

Our government says we can kill fawns now.
We can easily bait deer now but the wardens are watching interstates to control cwd.
And most importantly...we learn that some of the political leaders were child molestors and just blew it off and let it go. And the ring leader was killed before trial. In a protected cell. Wow. What will next year bring?

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 10:39 PM

I really don't think anyone has likened a spotted fawn to a molested child.
That's a far reach.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
ow. What will next year bring?

well..4-20 will be an entire month, Independence Day and Halloween will be on a Saturdays, 2 "friday the 13th's" and Cinco de Mayo will be a "Taco Tuesday"......2020 gon' be awesome!
Posted By: red neck richie

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 10:45 PM

I let them walk and get bigger. There aint enough meat on them to make em worth shooting. I call them crackers cause you will get just enough meat off of them to put on a cracker. If im gonna field dress and butcher a deer its got to be big enough to get a decent amount of meat off of it.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by red neck richie
I let them walk and get bigger. There aint enough meat on them to make em worth shooting. I call them crackers cause you will get just enough meat off of them to put on a cracker. If im gonna field dress and butcher a deer its got to be big enough to get a decent amount of meat off of it.

A fawn has more than enough meat to feed 4 grown men at the hunting camp.
I know for a fact.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 10:47 PM

I really don't think anyone has likened a spotted fawn to a molested child.
That's a far reach.

It's coming.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 10:50 PM

I know for a fact.

Sure but I like to fill my freezer.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/04/19 11:31 PM

I know for a fact.

Sure but I like to fill my freezer.

Wait till later in the season to shoot the little ones. They'll be corn fed by then.
Posted By: Hayzeus

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 12:07 AM

Those spotted fawns are purty tender eating. But if you want some really tender venison , throw one of those deer on the grill after cutting it out of the womb. Don't even need to skin it. The hair will burn right off.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 12:10 AM

So its cool to kill a fawn to get a handful of meat?

Why do we have fish size limits then? Cant we just keep tiny crappie, bass and blue gill then? Since it "doesnt" matter? What kind of bs is goin on here.

This has been a crazy year.

Our government says we can kill fawns now.
We can easily bait deer now but the wardens are watching interstates to control cwd.
And most importantly...we learn that some of the political leaders were child molestors and just blew it off and let it go. And the ring leader was killed before trial. In a protected cell. Wow. What will next year bring?

I love it, you support abortion, but your against shooting spotted fawns. Damn, you are a Democrat.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 12:26 AM

Its ok to shoot does all year....a doe a day...we have plenty.
its ok to extend the hunting season to like 4 months....
Its ok to bait....everyone does it
Its ok to kill fawns........i

Geez, kinda seems like our state doesn't want a deer population.

Self government does not work without self discipline

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 12:35 AM

They are giving yall more freedoms and now everyone wants the government to get involved?
Posted By: Stob

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 12:40 AM

Dang, between nut oil and shooting fawns. The end must be near. WTH?

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 01:32 AM

On our lease you get one doe and two bucks. I wouldn't waste one of my three on a fawn. Clubs can make their own rules to manage their property. You dont have to do everything the state says your allowed too. Some people just dont have any trigger control.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 03:21 PM

there is no biological reason we can't shoot deer at night....
Posted By: bigt

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 03:29 PM

It may be legal now but nobody I hunt with will be shooting any spotted fawns. It doesn't surprise me honestly though this State manages the deer herd like it is a pest that must be eradicated at all cost and sadly some citizens of the State seem to agree.
Posted By: Abbhudson

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 03:36 PM

I believe there might be a safety reason for that one.
Posted By: Abbhudson

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 03:39 PM

Its not like they said everyone has to run out and shoot a spotted fawn. Shoot whatever legal thing you want and leave everyone else to do the same and I bet we'll all be okay at the end of the season.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Abbhudson

how is it a safety issue? No more dangerous than daytime shooting....

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 04:38 PM

Might be safer if everyone was required to wear a small led light on their noggin 😃
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 04:44 PM

I just dont see me killing a spot . I kill a young one from time to time beause I have a lot of them . But I try to do it when they are close enough to where I can see the knob's on the head.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
It may be legal now but nobody I hunt with will be shooting any spotted fawns. It doesn't surprise me honestly though this State manages the deer herd like it is a pest that must be eradicated at all cost and sadly some citizens of the State seem to agree.

This is exactly the point i was trying to make. EXACTLY.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 08:18 PM

Actually there is a biological reason to prohibit night hunting. Or I guess you could call it a conservation reason, but that's still biological.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 11:22 PM

....and what would that be???????

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 11:29 PM

Okay capt obvious. If you insist.
Because deer are primarily nocturnal and must easier to kill at night.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/05/19 11:41 PM

Okay capt obvious. If you insist.
Because deer are primarily nocturnal and must easier to kill at night.

Not true deer are crepuscular.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 01:02 AM

it's easier to killl fawns than grown bucks, that didn't deter Chuckie....

we have a three buck limit, why not shoot em at night

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 05:29 AM

it's easier to killl fawns than grown bucks, that didn't deter Chuckie....

we have a three buck limit, why not shoot em at night

OK Fred , you baiting the ethic's police now. Lol

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 05:37 AM

Ben Rodgers Lee said one time about killing hens , yes some are going die ever year but how do you know which ones. !!!

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 12:26 PM

Ben Lee was a full blown outlaw.
Posted By: HippieKiller

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 04:12 PM

They are giving yall more freedoms and now everyone wants the government to get involved?

Bingo.
Just because it's legal doesn't mean you have to do it. Same applies to owning guns, smoking cigarettes, and eating at Applebee's.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 05:07 PM

Lol

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 05:58 PM

it's no more unethical to shoot deer at night than to shoot spotted fawns. This states conservation dept has gone to hell.
Posted By: JKlep

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 06:23 PM

This entire topic boils down to just one thing. Either you want to shoot a spottie or not. I personally would never even consider shooting one, but someone else may want to and now I guess legally they have the right to. I personally dont want to shoot bucks less than 3 or 3.5 years old, but that is my choice.

Biologically, ethically, or morally right or wrong or whether or not it is good for a herd management program is dependent on the particular property. I remember several years ago while turkey hunting at Barbour County WMA the biologists were darting does, and aborting fawns for a research study. Must have been 20 or 30 aborted fawns in the garbage can at the check station that morning. I personally thought it was a waste.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 06:37 PM

I lost what little respect I had for him when during one of his seminars at the early years of the deer show, he suggested shooting deer with 7&1/2 shot if you were close enough. What a DA. He was fairly entertaining if you discount all his outlaw BS
Posted By: Matthew H

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 06:48 PM

i honestly think the state has a drive behind it that they want to be able to do tags in the future. in order to do that, theyd need enough evidence to show a thinning deer herd, which would happen if people are in the woods killing 60 pound deer.

to me, if they actually wanted to do that, why not just extend season or do a muzzleloader season at the end of the regular season. theyd get pittman robertson money from the sale of all the new muzzleloaders, and theyd thin the herd

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew H

i honestly think the state has a drive behind it that they want to be able to do tags in the future. in order to do that, theyd need enough evidence to show a thinning deer herd, which would happen if people are in the woods killing 60 pound deer.

to me, if they actually wanted to do that, why not just extend season or do a muzzleloader season at the end of the regular season. theyd get pittman robertson money from the sale of all the new muzzleloaders, and theyd thin the herd

Of course they want a tag system , where you been grin
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 07:00 PM

absolute truth. That man scattered more corn in the woods in and around Coffeville than any 20 members on this site combined. I was told it was rare that he ever killed a turkey that was not within 250 yds of some corn or scratch. Same way with deer.

Troy, I also think that you put out a "baited 1000 hook long-line" with some of your previous posts. When are you going to turn the boat around and start gaffing fish? LOL

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 07:06 PM

it's no more unethical to shoot deer at night than to shoot spotted fawns. This states conservation dept has gone to hell.

I agree , I've had no faith in them since , game check bs.
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 07:32 PM

If even 1/2 the stories I was told are true then that is absolute fact.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/06/19 08:22 PM

A lot of the people around Coffeeville didn't like Ben Lee.
Posted By: BamaHunter34

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/07/19 02:41 AM

Just know that each fawn has genes from previous deer, some of which may be the offspring of the larger/better gene bucks in your area. You never know which fawn is gonna be the next big buck on your place and if you shoot them that young, not only will you not get to see them reach their full potential, but you will prevent them from passing those good genetics on. Personally I disagree with the shooting of fawns regardless of this theory, but maybe this is sort of a biological reason not to shoot them.....
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/07/19 04:51 AM

Guessing there won't be many pictures taken with those monsters.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/07/19 02:28 PM

Nobody is going to shoot spotted fawns, or yearling does. Might be a few but not enough to cause a difference....
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/07/19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by alhawk

I see this as being the bigger problem. Plenty of folks will put pics on social media and it will fire up emotions and further turn folks against hunting. A lot of non hunters don't care or have an opinion about a dead "grown" deer, but they dang sure will with a baby. Not a smart move by the State.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/07/19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by scrubbuck
Originally Posted by alhawk

I see this as being the bigger problem. Plenty of folks will put pics on social media and it will fire up emotions and further turn folks against hunting. A lot of non hunters don't care or have an opinion about a dead "grown" deer, but they dang sure will with a baby. Not a smart move by the State.

How do you know? Like alhawk said, not many pics will be posted with baby deer in them.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/07/19 05:39 PM

how many pics does it take for ONE to go viral?? Stupid ass move by the Dept.
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/07/19 07:49 PM

Kill a damn fawn if you want too. If you don’t want to don’t. Damn.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/07/19 09:01 PM

Pretty sure that anyone who shoots a spotted fawn is a COMPLETE DOUCHEBAG. Happy to say it here and happy to say it to there face. Anyone doing that around me would be called a nutless bastard. There is little to no meat on a fawn anyway. I myself have shot a yearling (without spots) when I was younger by mistake, but to intentionally do it means you are a complete REDNECK DUMBASS and not a true hunter but.....that’s right....a COMPLETE DOUCHEBAG!

BIGBORE OUT!
Posted By: centralala

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/07/19 09:26 PM

I'm going to stay on the sidelines but in my 40+ years of deer hunting I have never heard shooting spotted fawns discussed. The rule was there and just accepted. So, I have a few questions I can't understand.
1). Who and why was this even brought up??
2). What good can happen? What bad can happen?
3). What's the ultimate goal to justify the change?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/07/19 09:45 PM

If it’s got a vagina kill it whether it’s 30 or 300 lbs. doe fawns are fair game in population mgmt
Posted By: globe

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/07/19 10:56 PM

One big problem “I see” is that you can’t tell whether it’s a doe or a buck you’re shooting. I don’t like it. Too many antlerless yearling bucks being killed as it is.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/08/19 12:50 AM

I can see knots on deers head. Not real difficult

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/08/19 01:34 AM

I have seen a fair number of early season buck fawns that showed absolutely no knots on their heads, spotted ones sure as all hail do not show knots.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/08/19 01:40 AM

Well naw but I’m not shooting a spotted one neither. But I can usually watch behavior and tell buck vs doe fawn
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/08/19 01:57 AM

One could argue that shooting a doe fawn is better than shooting a mature doe. A fawn may or may not be mature enough to breed year one. A mature doe will be bred and has a better chance of successfully raising a fawn. If a doe fawn still has spots today, I highly doubt she's getting bred, and she would probably be much more delicious than an ornery old nanny. Just a little devil's advocacy
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/08/19 02:03 AM

I'm as old school as they come. I don't give a rip about biological reason one. Stupid as it gets in my opinion and if I ever meet Chuck FTF I'll darned sure let him know what I think about it and his agencies decision to make this change. Not that he will care about my opinion. rolleyes

If nothing else it's going to shed a bad light on hunters and the hunting industry in general.

You won't ever find me or anyone on my place shooting one. Never!

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/08/19 02:06 AM

Same here Cuz, same here.

Ol Chuckie keeps on and we are going to have to have our own impeachment.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/08/19 02:32 AM

One thing Ole Chuckle has proven, if you think he is a screwing up now, just wait. He'll top it next year.
May just be who I talk to or the area I'm in, but the DCNR has become more insignificant in the management of wildlife than ever before. The two sides aren't partnering up as they should. The killing of spotted fawns, right or wrong, isn't helping.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/08/19 02:44 AM

I have asked this before....but could you state peoples please come an make me some deers to hunt in marshall county....thank you smile
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/08/19 03:27 AM

This states conservation dept has gone to hell.

Most truthful post in this thread.

This is the first time I've looked at the thread. I thought it was something stupid someone thought they heard and didn't want to waste my time. Beam me up Scottie !

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/08/19 11:28 PM

I don't like this at all . I see no management advantage to this . Adding us as a predator to the spots ain't wise
Posted By: Zzzfog

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/09/19 12:11 AM

Same here Cuz, same here.

Ol Chuckie keeps on and we are going to have to have our own impeachment.
Posted By: bigt

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/09/19 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie
I don't like this at all . I see no management advantage to this . Adding us as a predator to the spots ain't wise

The only way it makes any sense is if the State truly wants to wipe out the deer herd to the point they can justify tags or something.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/09/19 04:13 AM

You know....ive almost typed alot of stuff on this thread...glad i havent wasted my time

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/09/19 04:18 AM

The only way it makes any sense is if the State truly wants to wipe out the deer herd to the point they can justify tags or something.

Man I don't know . This wasn't a good idea .
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/09/19 10:59 AM

Only logic I could see is if it accidentally happens to someone, is that the deer is brought in and recorded in Game Check. I would like to see some justification.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/09/19 03:47 PM

there is NO justification for shooting spotted fawns.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/09/19 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1
You know....ive almost typed alot of stuff on this thread...glad i havent wasted my time

Let er rip, lets hear it.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/09/19 05:15 PM

We just know what works for us.
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/09/19 05:39 PM

there is NO justification for shooting spotted fawns.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/09/19 08:37 PM

there is also no biological reason not to hunt at night. whoever came up with this rule is about a dumbass its a waste of a deer for maybe 10 lbs of meat shoot its momma before you shoot the fawn if you absolutely got to be a dick.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/09/19 11:02 PM

If it's in the thread , I missed it, so who gets credit for this stroke of genius?
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
One could argue that shooting a doe fawn is better than shooting a mature doe. A fawn may or may not be mature enough to breed year one. A mature doe will be bred and has a better chance of successfully raising a fawn. If a doe fawn still has spots today, I highly doubt she's getting bred, and she would probably be much more delicious than an ornery old nanny. Just a little devil's advocacy

But if we shoot a doe fawn, she won’t turn into that mature doe capable of dropping multiple fawns or etc.

If we do shoot her, she won’t turn into that b*tch blowing at your stand every morning at daylight.

Catch 22 I guess..

We worry about the neighbor shooting the 2.5 year old buck, but then we go and kill the doe fawns before they can breed.

I haven’t studied it enough to know the biological factors involved, but I’ll continue choosing not to kill spotted fawns.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 02:09 AM

Say that again batey 🤣
Posted By: blade

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 02:31 AM

Does anyone know of a discreet taxidermist who specializes in full body mounts? Asking for a friend.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 03:30 AM

How many guys actually know folks who will shoot one with spots?

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Carroll

Not many and they would most likely be now hunters.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Carroll

The only spotted fawns I've ever seen killed was on a school fundraiser hunt. Those coonasses will shoot anything, and most of them can't shoot worth a chit.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 01:37 PM

I checked a guy and his girlfriend hunting in Greene Co and she had killed a fawn with spots. Got a commendation for it too. She said it was too dark to see the spots when she shot it. I guess it's 30 pound weight wasn't enough of a clue for her.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 02:42 PM

I checked a guy and his girlfriend hunting in Greene Co and she had killed a fawn with spots. Got a commendation for it too. She said it was too dark to see the spots when she shot it. I guess it's 30 pound weight wasn't enough of a clue for her.

To dark to see the white spots . Lol
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 03:17 PM

should the dcnr outlaw shooting yearlings and put, say a 100lb weight limit on deer?

personally i dont agree with shooting either one, but there really isnt much difference between a spotted fawn and one that lost his spots a month prior. Neither one is worth the time and effort, but thats just me.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by goodman_hunter
should the dcnr outlaw shooting yearlings and put, say a 100lb weight limit on deer?

personally i dont agree with shooting either one, but there really isnt much difference between a spotted fawn and one that lost his spots a month prior. Neither one is worth the time and effort, but thats just me.

It is all about perception. As was stated, no biological difference. Would be curious if any state allows.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 03:20 PM

It is all about perception. As was stated, no biological difference. Would be curious if any state allows.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 03:23 PM

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 04:02 PM

It's a deer eating food. It's just a mouth.

Biologically it's no different than shooting a "young, tender squirrel" or a mallard that hatched in March. But God forbid someone look crossways at BAMBI because you'll burn in hell for even thinking about anything other than save that precious baybeeee.

Really, WTF do y'all think is going to shoot a spotted fawn AND TELL ANYONE since it's obvious that doing so would result in the rack, tarring, feathering, quartering and being made to listen to Rocky Top until your eyes bleed?

If they do, so what. It's a deer. It ain't the end of the world.

Your bigger picture that everyone is ignoring while crying Disney tears is "Why did this happen and who's pushing it?" Because something like this coming out of nowhere usually means there's some kind of agenda in the works.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 04:13 PM

Your bigger picture that everyone is ignoring while crying Disney tears is "Why did this happen and who's pushing it?" Because something like this coming out of nowhere usually means there's some kind of agenda in the works.

That's what I've said from the beginning. Who and why? It was sitting there bothering no one. Someone pushed it and they somehow will benefit from it. But how? What are Alabama hunters going have to give up in order to get this new rule? A rule the hunters didn't ask for. But who, why and how will they benefit?

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 05:48 PM

Yep.

No one gives two flips about them instituting a limit on frogs by anyone out gigging.

But money's involved with deer and turkeys. Always. Changing anything means someone, somewhere is pushing something, wanting something, trading something, asking for something or demanding something, and we'll probably find out soon. Or, someone got in trouble for shooting one and this change is a retroactive move. Maybe all of the above.

Cynical? Yep. But that's where we're at now after the last 15 years.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 06:06 PM

I went back and looked at the minutes from the CAB meeting in May. Evidently, there was a meeting prior where the CAB members received a packet laying out any changes to seasons and bag limits. They voted and passed this packet. What was in this packet??? Guess we know one thing that was there. So, if it was in the packet, the CAB was involved. I think someone is pulling the wool over some CAB members eyes. Still, who, why, and how will they benefit?
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 06:10 PM

So what about people who have gotten in trouble for shooting one in the past? Do they get reimbursed for fines or what? I don't know what the penalty was for shooting a spotted fawn but shouldn't the folks who got in trouble beforehand be absolved of any wrongdoing? Albeit, they did know it was against the law when they did it the first time so maybe they arent due for any sort of recourse?

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 07:00 PM

You're not serious, are you?
Posted By: eclipse829

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 07:13 PM

If it weren't for the one "Super Observant " guy that happened to notice that shooting fawns had been dropped from the regs, and that Facebook interaction between him and the Al dept of whatever? 99.9999% of the deer hunting world wouldn't even know there had been a change. I checked the regs to see if they had messed with doe days and didn't even notice that fawns had been dropped.
Posted By: 280REM

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 10:19 PM

As was stated in the texts provided by the OP: no reason biologically to not shoot them. In fact, pound for pound, they require more food and produce no offspring. From that standpoint, they are just another mouth in the herd that doesn't contribute.

That said, I have no desire to shoot one. I won't even shoot a lone "doe" for fear it might be a button buck. That's just my feelings on it, but if one were intensely managing their herd, shooting yearling deer might be part of the program. The vast majority of fawns, by now, have lost their spots anyway. We have one of the latest ruts in the state, and I've not had a spotted fawn on cam in a couple of weeks. JMO YMMV.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 10:22 PM

Yep.

No one gives two flips about them instituting a limit on frogs by anyone out gigging.

But money's involved with deer and turkeys. Always. Changing anything means someone, somewhere is pushing something, wanting something, trading something, asking for something or demanding something, and we'll probably find out soon. Or, someone got in trouble for shooting one and this change is a retroactive move. Maybe all of the above.

Cynical? Yep. But that's where we're at now after the last 15 years.

I think, by and large, that's correct, but Alabama is also slowly coming in to the modern age of game management. 30 years ago, lots of old timers squawked about shooting does. "There won't be no deer left if you kills the mommas." Damned if we don't have more deer today than we did 30 years ago.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 10:26 PM

Spots should be left alone once they get a little bigger I see no problem in places to shot them . Here where I hunt they just become another mouth in places ever fawn is needed.

As season goes by if I'm see a lot of yearling deer I'll kill one or two . I don't I won't. When I hunt other places I only shoot grown deer

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 10:30 PM

Spots should be left alone once they get a little bigger I see no problem in places to shot them . Here where I hunt they just become another mouth in places ever fawn is needed.

As season goes by if I'm see a lot of yearling deer I'll kill one or two . I don't I won't. When I hunt other places I only shoot grown deer

Other than a few pounds and the color of it's coat, what's the practical difference in shooting a spotted fawn in October, or the same deer without spots in December?

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 10:34 PM

Feelings.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 10:35 PM

May not be a biological not to kill them but for management reason it best not to kill them. Imo!!!!!!

Place to place may differ but Imo leaving spots alone is best in any place

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 10:40 PM

Big difference in killing a spot and one in January. One in January has a better chance to make it to the next year.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 10:41 PM

Feelings.

I know that wasn't pointed at me . Lol

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:07 PM

Feelings.

Yep.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:10 PM

You're correct, Frankie, it was not.

There's no other good way to say it except feelings come into play. We - hunters - just don't shoot spotted fawns, whether it's biologically OK or not. It's just how we are. Our normal instincts kick in, along probably with some Disney garbage and fear of being ridiculed by others. But mostly, we just don't and can't do it.

Which leads back to the "WTF was it even changed for?" question and why. Someone, somewhere did something or wants something.

If not, and if the Deparment is just cleaning books and old-outdated-stupid regulations, then I would like to see the "No light attached to a rifle" repealed. I can go coon hunting and hold a light and rifle in the same hand shining a coon, but if I attach that light to the rifle with tape, wire, a rail or anything else it's suddenly illegal. I can't take an AR in 22-caliiber and create a cool coon (or hog) hunting rifle with an attached light and optic because, God forbid, someone might shoot a deer. So we can't have an attached light. We can hunt with suppressors and thermal imaging but I can't put a light on a rifle for coons, coyotes or hogs? Idiotic.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:11 PM

Big difference in killing a spot and one in January. One in January has a better chance to make it to the next year.

Unless you kill it.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by 280REM
Damned if we don't have more deer today than we did 30 years ago.

this^^^^^^^^^ is incorrect, you obliviously wern't deer hunting 30-40 years ago. Most if not all the places I hunted in the 60's to mid 80's have 1/2 to 1/4 the numbers we had then.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:16 PM

Fred's right about the numbers.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:16 PM

i didn't read all 8 pages. But I don't shoot them cause there isn't enough meat on them. Though maybe it is like veal....not really, the last yearling I shot didn't taste any better than any other non-mature buck.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:29 PM

Amazing that killing a tiny spotted baby deer over a corn pile is 100% legal this year in Alabama.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:31 PM

One time back in the early 80's my godfather shot a little doe, of which my dad said had spots ( probably stretching the truth). When he brought it up to the house my sister saw it and yelled out, "Tom shot Bambi." We still tell that story today and he never lived it down.

Alabama sure has some funny laws. Hunt with dogs and bait while not shooting ones considered too young is sure different than other areas. Not saying worse, just different.

Heck, I remember living in mobile when a father and daughter were put in jail for becoming an item. They interviewed a relative who said, "no law can keep them apart cause they're in love." I feel the same about this law. Is it really important enough that it is needed?

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:39 PM

Fred's right about the numbers.

X3

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:48 PM

Unless you kill it.

As I stated if I don't see a lot of yearling deer I won't take from that pool. If I see lots of does, killing a couple yearling does ain't hurting my herd. Plus that's two mouths outof my garden .

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:50 PM

Damned if we don't have more deer today than we did 30 years ago.

this^^^^^^^^^ is incorrect, you obliviously wern't deer hunting 30-40 years ago. Most if not all the places I hunted in the 60's to mid 80's have 1/2 to 1/4 the numbers we had then.

The population estimates over time don't reflect those numbers. 1970 estimated @ 400,000 deer. Peaked in 2000 at @ 2 Million. Current estimates are @ 1.6 Million. The distribution of the population has changed dramatically. Many places have lots of deer that had none or very few back in the 70s when I started hunting.
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/10/19 11:54 PM

Game Check number's show we need more spotted fawns killed! Sarcasm....

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 12:00 AM

do you really believe those numbers?????? If so yer an idiot.

I was involved personally in the 1980 population estimates as a NEW GW in Hale Co. The dept asked us(all GWs) to personally estimate the number of deer, rabbit, turkey, skewerls , in our respective counties. In other words PULL A NUMBER OUT OF OUR ASSES....cause that is exactly what it was. Dept added up the numbers and came up with a state population. Horsechitt at the very highest level.

In 1975 in Sumpter Co I counted over 1000 deer on two drive arounds, one late afternoon, ate supper, the did it again with a spotlight....same day..... 1000 deer. One would be damn lucky to see 200 deer today on the same miles and times driven.

2million in 2000 and 1.6 million now is not an increase...it's a 400,000 loss.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 12:13 AM

do you really believe those numbers?????? If so yer an idiot.

I was involved personally in the 1980 population estimates as a NEW GW in Hale Co. The dept asked us(all GWs) to personally estimate the number of deer, rabbit, turkey, skewerls , in our respective counties. In other words PULL A NUMBER OUT OF OUR ASSES....cause that is exactly what it was. Dept added up the numbers and came up with a state population. Horsechitt at the very highest level.

In 1975 in Sumpter Co I counted over 1000 deer on two drive arounds, one late afternoon, ate supper, the did it again with a spotlight....same day..... 1000 deer. One would be damn lucky to see 200 deer today on the same miles and times driven.

2million in 2000 and 1.6 million now is not an increase...it's a 400,000 loss.

I said we have more deer now than 30 years ago. 2000 is 19 years ago. I have no way to vouch for the numbers. I can only read what's put out. The deer kill numbers are the lowest they've been in 40+ years, but we also have half the number of licensed hunters we did 40 years ago.

I hunted Marengo County in the late 70s early 80s. I know there's not near the numbers there that there were then, but I also know seeing a buck with anything more than a forked horn rack was rare too. (That had a lot to do with the old fools in the club I was in I'm sure that wouldn't shoot a doe, but would shoot 15 spikes a year and crow about every single one of them) I also know I never saw a deer in the Jefferson County suburb where I lived in the 70s, or 80s, and now they are pests there. Things change. This state long ago missed the boat on managing deer herds.
Posted By: HippieKiller

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 12:29 AM

Maybe, JUST MAYBE this whole thing is to take "discretion" out of the equation for GWs when writing tickets.

At what level of "spot" is it considered "spotted"?
10+ spots?
1 spot?
What if it is piebald?
What if no longer visible unless in direct sunlight?

New rule would cut that out. It's a deer. It is dead. The end.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 01:40 PM

in 26 years of enforcement I never saw an issue like you speak of Hippi. Only saw on spotted fawn killed in all that time. Ticket issued...fawn had plenty of spots too.

Piebalds ain't spotted.

no sportsman has any business shooting 30 pound fawns . if ya do yer killing 50+% bucks anyway.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 03:20 PM

no sportsman has any business shooting 30 pound fawns . if ya do yer killing 50+% bucks anyway.

I don't believe any of them will. If they do, that's on them.

But I see this as similar to "One (1) Buck a Day." that we had for so long. Who did that? Who shot 110 bucks? No one.

I still think there's some unknown agenda we're not aware of yet with this fawn change.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 03:28 PM

When it's supper time and I need some veal for the grill. A 30# buck tastes as good as a 30# doe.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 03:32 PM

I love ya Mark, but I don't pay any attention to yer posts.......

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 03:42 PM

But I see this as similar to "One (1) Buck a Day." that we had for so long. Who did that? Who shot 110 bucks? No one.

I still think there's some unknown agenda we're not aware of yet with this fawn change.

There is a strong push right now to extend season by 10 days on the front end of season for parts of Alabama. May end up with all of Alabama. Maybe the spotted fawns is part of the negotiations. Now, who would benefit financially from getting 2 more weeks of clients in to hunt??

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by centralala

There is a strong push right now to extend season by 10 days on the front end of season for parts of Alabama. May end up with all of Alabama. Maybe the spotted fawns is part of the negotiations. Now, who would benefit financially from getting 2 more weeks of clients in to hunt??

10 more days in Oct is meh for me. Might make bow hunters happy.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 03:55 PM

10 more days of gun season is the way I read it. Doesn't say anything about adding to bow season. That's my take on it anyway.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 03:59 PM

Just as well to. Will it be in front of youth season, muzzle loader or will these two be pushed back? That would give an extra 18 days for firearms.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 04:00 PM

Ten more days won't -- biologically -- make any diffference.

The difference? As always - MONEY.

It's why Tennessee added it's "velvet buck" hunt and Kentucky has a "velvet buck" start and South Carollina starts in the Lowcountry when it's sweaty asscrack Augu

So now, if we start Oct. 1 or 5 or thereabouts, it's not going to be anything that is biologically bad. Shooting a "velvet" buck isn't any different than shooting one a week later after it's shed that mess. But someone will pay to do that.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 04:15 PM

I'm telling y'all in my opinion it's a done deal. The data has been gathered. Y'all read it or better yet, one of y'all that can post it out it here for everyone to see. Go to Conservation Advisory Board minutes for May 4, 2019. On page 45 it starts with Jimmy Jimmerson. Hartzog wants it. Sykes left it to the board.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 04:24 PM

More days to hunt = more corn sales
Too many exemptions in this state to begin with, so gotta make up revenue some how.....

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 04:27 PM

Scroll down to page 45: https://www.outdooralabama.com/sites/default/files/Advisory%20Board/05-04-2019_CAB-Minutes.pdf

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 04:31 PM

I love ya Mark, but I don't pay any attention to yer posts.......

I love you too. 😆
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by centralala
I'm telling y'all in my opinion it's a done deal. The data has been gathered. Y'all read it or better yet, one of y'all that can post it out it here for everyone to see. Go to Conservation Advisory Board minutes for May 4, 2019. On page 45 it starts with Jimmy Jimmerson. Hartzog wants it. Sykes left it to the board.

MR. HARTZOG: Mr. Chairman?

CHAIRMAN DOBBS: I'm sorry. Mr. Hartzog.

MR. HARTZOG: Not a question for Mr. Jimmerson, but a question for Chuck. I think at the last meeting because -- I mean, I know some states that's got 30 different zones in it. And, remember, I think I threw out a suggestion. Since we've got a three-buck limit anyway, would it be easier for the State to do a statewide and just move the days earlier, still leave the February the 10th? Has the State looked at that possibility of doing that and that way we don't have to worry about gerrymandering this part of the county? Because my county is one of the counties that was affected. As you know, we've got three different distinct DNAs, you know, in Barbour County. Have we -- I think I brought it up at the last meeting for us to possibly look at the -- just go ahead and giving, like Mr. Jimmerson, his 10 days up front and still have the February the 10th and hunt your rut when you got your rut. Have we looked at that, or would that be ...

DIRECTOR SYKES: Yes. Anything is possible. We've looked at it. As Mr. Jimmerson said, the data is there. We've got it in your county too. It's just whether you want to add more days to the front. That's up to y'all. We've got the data. You can hunt from October 15th to February the 10th. So however we need to do it, all we just need is direction on what needs to happen.

MR. HARTZOG: What would --

CHAIRMAN DOBBS: Mr. Hartzog, we've been through this several times, and I'm tickled to go through it again, but let's do this. Let's form a -- if you want to, let's form some sort of guidelines. Let the Board talk about that or send that to the Board and then to staff for their review, and then we'll vote on it at the next meeting. We'll hash it out then.

MR. HARTZOG: That's fine.

CHAIRMAN DOBBS: Is that acceptable?

MR. HARTZOG: Yes, sir.

DIRECTOR SYKES: Absolutely.

CHAIRMAN DOBBS: Okay. Thank you.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/11/19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by swamp_fever2002

CHAIRMAN DOBBS: Mr. Hartzog, we've been through this several times, and I'm tickled to go through it again, but let's do this. Let's form a -- if you want to, let's form some sort of guidelines. Let the Board talk about that or send that to the Board and then to staff for their review, and then we'll vote on it at the next meeting. We'll hash it out then.

MR. HARTZOG: That's fine.

CHAIRMAN DOBBS: Is that acceptable?

MR. HARTZOG: Yes, sir.

DIRECTOR SYKES: Absolutely.

CHAIRMAN DOBBS: Okay. Thank you.

I wonder when the Board had "been through this several times," and also when the Board talked about any guidelines that were established or it received guidelines for review.

Board actions and discussions are to be public and not behind closed doors. If this was the May meeting, and no others are scheduled until winter 2020, that's approximately eight months of private discussions about public matters.

All those little quips above do is perpetuate the belief among hunter and anglers that the Board operates when it wants, however it wants and behind closed doors making decisions outside the purview of its constituents and/or in lockstep with politicians, other influencers and Department officials.

Nothing new, though. This has been going on for decades.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/12/19 12:43 AM

Lets get real here! I know of 3 types of hunters! The meat hunter, the trophy hunter, and the brown its down hunter that kills anything they see! I consider myself a meat hunter. I dont have a problem with trophy hunters as long as they dont expect me to hunt that way and vice versa. Its the brown its down crowd with no trigger control that kill fawns that I just dont get?

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/12/19 02:43 PM

Nothing new, though. This has been going on for decades.

As long as there is a committee appointed solely to repay political favors, and a director job given to the biggest ass kisser, this will continue.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/13/19 08:24 PM

Lets get real here! I know of 3 types of hunters! The meat hunter, the trophy hunter, and the brown its down hunter that kills anything they see! I consider myself a meat hunter. I dont have a problem with trophy hunters as long as they dont expect me to hunt that way and vice versa. Its the brown its down crowd with no trigger control that kill fawns that I just dont get?

I know some meat hunters that prefer to take the young tender ones.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/14/19 05:59 PM

No one answered the question....if we can shoot spotted fawns then why do we have a creel limit/size limit on game fish? Im just wondering cause to me, thats the exact same thing for deer.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/14/19 10:31 PM

No one answered the question....if we can shoot spotted fawns then why do we have a creel limit/size limit on game fish? Im just wondering cause to me, thats the exact same thing for deer.

To keep bait fish population in check I guess. The game fish has to big enough to eat the bait fish

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/15/19 12:00 AM

Never mattered to me. If it's big enough for the frying pan, it's big enough.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/15/19 05:49 AM

To reach an age to reproduce. Not really the same thing here since deer can be killed as yearlings.
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/15/19 01:36 PM

This state has lost its damn mind!! The PETA freaks will have a field day with this!! Crap like this is why AL is the laughing stock of the whole damn country!

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/15/19 02:08 PM

Ya'll sure do get upset about killing a rodent.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/15/19 03:45 PM

I have never ate a spotted fawn but have ate several different age class deer. I couldn't tell the difference in taste or tenderness. I think that's what people say to try and play it off so they wont get laughed at and lectured to when they get back to camp for shooting tiny deer.

Re: Shooting fawns legal now? - 12/15/19 05:37 PM

I have never ate a spotted fawn but have ate several different age class deer. I couldn't tell the difference in taste or tenderness. I think that's what people say to try and play it off so they wont get laughed at and lectured to when they get back to camp for shooting tiny deer.

There is definitely a difference in tenderness and taste.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM