Aldeer.com

Tents

Posted By: Floridajew

Tents - 11/27/19 09:37 PM

Before the days of big fancy campers has anybody set up a tent at deer camp I no longer have a camp house and dont want a camper to upkeep . Does anybody on here tough it out over the weekend in a tent during hunting season I'm prior military plus use to camp all the time just not during hunting season.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Tents - 11/27/19 09:42 PM

Haven’t done it in a long time. It’s not bad if you have a good mat and bag that will keep you warm. Some folks put up hammocks with a tarp overhead.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Tents - 11/27/19 09:43 PM

Alot of people used to do that, some still do.everything has gotten all fancied up but there are some folks still roughing it.
Posted By: RareBreed

Re: Tents - 11/27/19 10:10 PM

I had a friend make one heck of a camp with two army tents. One had beds, stove, shelves, lanterns and plenty of places to hang things. The other he stored his gear, atv, stands, etc. it was a very nice set up and he would stay weeks at a time on and off. Built a wooden deck off the back with grill and fire pit. Looked right out over the Alabama river on a high bluff. Best “rough” camp I’d ever seen.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Tents - 11/27/19 10:12 PM

We used to every weekend of deer season but that was 25-30 years ago, I’m close enough to the house to sleep in my own bed now but those were some fun times and I thank my dad for carrying me all the time back then
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Tents - 11/27/19 10:39 PM

I stay in a tent all the time. I don't consider it roughing it though. My tent is a heck of a lot less sketchy than some of the camp houses I've stayed in. Crap'n in a 5 gallon bucket sucks but other than that I love it.
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: Tents - 11/27/19 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by grundan
Haven’t done it in a long time. It’s not bad if you have a good mat and bag that will keep you warm. Some folks put up hammocks with a tarp overhead.

Come on now Dan it aint been that many yrs when we camped at skyline in one
Posted By: slanddeerhunter

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 12:12 AM

we did for about 5 years bought a surplus army tent ,like the ones on mash. it did a great job ,three of us in it .we had cots and scrap plywood for floor.it had a stove flap but we just left the vent flaps open and used a gas grill to warm it up and turned it off when we slept.
there have been a few on craigslist lately.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 01:04 AM

We still do when we hunt out of town. This was our setup for my buddy’s Uchee creek SOA hunt.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 01:12 AM

I tent camp a ton during turkey season when traveling. I also camp deer hunting. I have a Coleman instantcabin. Teton sports xxl cot. Memory foam over cot w/fitted sheet. Teton sports 0 degree xxl sleeping bag. I also put a buddy heater in the tent ran to a propane tank for extra cold nights and getting dressed in the mornings. Only thing that is uncomfortable are hot days......
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 01:15 AM

I've some nifty tents from bass pro. Put a stove in the middle of it too.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 02:34 AM

If and when we do any public land bowhunting heack we sho nuff for real camp tent and all its a blast
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 09:29 AM

we used to take 10' lengths of small flexible pvc pipe and stick it in the holes that run down the top of a truck bed bend it over to the other side and throw a tarp over it like a covered wagon, put a layer or two of carpet down to lay on works great and only cost the price of a new tarp from time to time. keeps you alot drier being off the ground if it rains, if its cold you need extra carpet or some pad because the air under the bed creeps thru pretty good but thats what the metal coffee can stuffed with a roll of TP and a bottle of rubbing alcohol is for poor mans space heater.
Posted By: dsayer

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 11:57 AM

I have a number of tent setups from an UL solo tent for backpack hunts to an 8-man cheapo from Field and Stream that's of much better than expected quality. I'd eventually like to get a hot tent setup from Kifaru or Seek Outside. It doesn't get cold enough down here to deter me from tent camping.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 01:05 PM

Yep I’ve done a good bit of camping/hunting, great memories.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 01:08 PM

My son and I just did 4 days in the Apalachicola National Forrest. We were in a group of 18 . Some of the folks fish and some squirrel hunt. Only take what you can put in a canoe. We have been doing this for years.
Posted By: buzzard

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 03:30 PM

Our setup is similar to coosa1’s. We have our 8mam tent set up with a pop up tent at the opening. We cover both with a large tarp that helps double the waterproofing and allows a cooking area right outside the tent. To old for ground sleeping so we have cots set up inside and can run a buddy heater on cold nights. Looks like a tent city, something you would see under 65 in bham but it’s dry and warm and serves its purpose. It’s in a protected area of the property so winds never get to bad. We put it up opening weekend and take it down when the season is over
Posted By: Clem

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 07:22 PM

While in Hawaii a few years ago we rented a truck with one of these on it and enjoyed it. Needed a good sleeping pad. Fairly easy to set up and take down.

https://tepui.com/collections/tents
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Tents - 11/28/19 07:27 PM

Woke up with a 2 degree windchill. Probably 60 degrees inside.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: buzzard

Re: Tents - 11/29/19 12:21 AM

TFD, is that one attached to a strait leg or slanted leg pop up tent? I’ve looked at those online and seen good reviews on them. Wondered if they would work on the slant legs with some modification
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Tents - 11/29/19 11:10 PM

My son and I, are set up in a tent for a 10 day hunt right now on our mountain property. Coleman stove, lanterns, and cooking over the campfire. Nothing like it.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Tents - 11/30/19 12:34 AM

Love it! Do it whenever possible.
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Tents - 11/30/19 01:52 PM

Love tent camping!
I have my army issue one man tent - they are made by Lightfighter and are great - fast to setup and have held up to rough field use too.
I also have a large Cactus Jack canvas wall tent with a wood burning stove that take about 30 minutes with two people to setup but it’s awesome for base camp.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Tents - 12/02/19 08:58 PM

We do it. The only thing i really hate is packing things up.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Tents - 12/02/19 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

While in Hawaii a few years ago we rented a truck with one of these on it and enjoyed it. Needed a good sleeping pad. Fairly easy to set up and take down.

I'm seeing more and more of these, mostly from friends that live out in Colorado. They seem cool, I wouldn't mind trying one out, but man they are 'spensive!
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Tents - 12/02/19 10:24 PM

I think the tent is really good, but much better is my hammock and a tarp. I gather the corners to enclose it and run my buddy heater. That’s the only way to sleep IMO. I can actually wake up feeling good and ready to go.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Tents - 12/03/19 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by buzzard
TFD, is that one attached to a strait leg or slanted leg pop up tent? I’ve looked at those online and seen good reviews on them. Wondered if they would work on the slant legs with some modification

It’s a slant leg but it’s actually a kit that i got at field in stream. Comes with the canopy and the tent in 1 bag. It was $159 if i remember correctly. Ozark trail sells a tent that will work with a slant leg canopy but it has to be 10x10. My ozark trail canopy was 9x9 so i just got the whole thing from field and stream. The best thing about it is I’m 6’3” and can stand anywhere in the tent and in the middle i can barely touch the top with my fingers standing flat footed. For winter camping i have a painters drop cloth that i put over the roof vents under the canopy. I just cut slits for the straps and hooks that attach the tent to the canopy.
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Tents - 12/03/19 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by jono23

I'm seeing more and more of these, mostly from friends that live out in Colorado. They seem cool, I wouldn't mind trying one out, but man they are 'spensive!

I had one when I lived in Arizona and probably spent about 60 or so nights in it (one night, up to 21 nights straight) If I was to do it again, I'd mount one on an old army cargo trailer or something. Having to pack your entire camp up just to go to the store for snacks or beer gets old quick.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Tents - 12/03/19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Broadhead26

I had one when I lived in Arizona and probably spent about 60 or so nights in it (one night, up to 21 nights straight) If I was to do it again, I'd mount one on an old army cargo trailer or something. Having to pack your entire camp up just to go to the store for snacks or beer gets old quick.

Oh yeah, didn't even think about that...
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Tents - 12/03/19 09:15 PM

I know that a Buddy Heater is rated for indoor use..... but there is no way in hail I would put a heater in a tent.

You are relying on a 10 cent part most likely made in China to save you from carbon monoxide poisoning. The sensor changes electrical resistance.

HAIL NO on that for me.

Please invest in a battery operated CO2 monitor if you are doing this as a backup.

I'm sure it works good till it doesn't... then you're DEAD.

Serious business right here. No joke. Y'all be safe I don't want anything to happen to any of you that would be one helluva stupid way to go.
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: Tents - 12/04/19 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
I know that a Buddy Heater is rated for indoor use..... but there is no way in hail I would put a heater in a tent.

You are relying on a 10 cent part most likely made in China to save you from carbon monoxide poisoning. The sensor changes electrical resistance.

HAIL NO on that for me.

Please invest in a battery operated CO2 monitor if you are doing this as a backup.

I'm sure it works good till it doesn't... then you're DEAD.

Serious business right here. No joke. Y'all be safe I don't want anything to happen to any of you that would be one helluva stupid way to go.

Seems to happen. Sumwhere every yr
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Tents - 12/04/19 02:24 AM

Cool but, not for me. I'd rather have a regular tent in case I needed to use my truck.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Tents - 12/05/19 02:20 PM

A different option

Posted By: Soal

Re: Tents - 12/07/19 03:50 AM

I am all about it. Hundreds of nights outdoors at least. I highly suggest a hammock tent. My favorite is hennessy hammocks. That plus a good microfleece or wool blanket can roll up smaller than most sleeping bags. The 4 season one with a fleece wrapped up in it compreses down to about 7" diameter and 16" long. Strap it to a mollee or alice pack and you are good to go any time. So damn comfortable compared to a tent. Super fast setup and takedown. Lighter, smaller. In all ways better in my opinion.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM