Who used it?

Did it help?

Do you feel dirty? smile
Posted By: StoneMan

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 01:01 AM

Used it. Didn’t hunt it.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 01:15 AM

Used it. Saw 1 deer to to it, 4 others didn't. Smiled the whole time.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 01:17 AM

Didn’t hunt but it took my dad 30 minutes opening morning to kill a doe on corn pile
Posted By: hoggin

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 01:21 AM

I don’t use it but it’s because I’m to cheap not because I care if it helps or doesn’t or because I care what anyone thinks. I’ve hunted to many places that it was legal and seen the results and lack there of to buy into the crap.
Corn ain’t no different than clover, they’ll eat it when they want to and they don’t come running just because you open a bag.

I’ve hunted in places where the put the hunters out and run a spreader down the road throwing corn for a hundred yards both ways on each stand even if nobody is on each stand sometimes deer come sometimes deer don’t. I’ve hunted feed troughs full of corn and other magical mixtures, sometimes deer come and sometimes deer don’t.

I just don’t understand all the great white hunter BS about it. Plant a field, cut a trail, pile brush to make a funnel, pour corn on the ground or plant an apple or persimmon tree or even build a fence it’s all the same intentions.
Posted By: slanddeerhunter

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 02:39 AM

we are seeing a lot more does and young bucks on the patches with corn. we shoot six or better and no does on patches. no difference in big buck sightings. i shot a doe monday with a muzzle loader, shot her on white oak trees, only deer that's been killed.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 02:42 AM

With 4 sits two together two separate me and Stephen have seen over 50 deer at the lease so far. Obviously some are the same deer around 15-20 we think but there were deer we haven’t seen more then once. Maybe 13 actually went to corn.
Posted By: burbank

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 02:55 AM

Same here. Seems like 1 in 4 actually eat the corn.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 02:57 AM

Saw 6 and 1 actually ate corn a button head.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 04:12 AM

Y’all ever tried to chew uncooked corn? You gotta boil it for at least an hour before it’s soft enough for mature bucks to eat.
popcorn
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 04:14 AM

Now that’s a new spin on master baiting
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 11:49 AM

Like I thought it's no different than any other food to them. Saw deer 4 to 1 eating grass to corn. Places that previously have not had food at all might see some night and day difference in deer activity, but when combined with a nice growing plot the deer seem to prefer the tender grass at this point. That'll change as the weather gets worse and plots get eaten down, I am sure.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 12:18 PM

Shot a buck yesterday belly full of acorns not a single kernel of corn. And the guys on our place are masterbaiters!
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 12:53 PM

I use but didnt see any difference. Later in the season you will. The does are so smart they'll go up to the feeder and nudge the spinner for more feed.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 02:21 PM

They eat the corn and grass together I have thousands of pics of deer eating corn between 2 strips of tender green grass. Keeping feeders full and grass green and they can have their pick but I would be in the acorns if my little 8 yr old buddies were not in tow. May have to build a ground blind soon so we can hunt acorns
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 02:41 PM

Like stated above. We have seen alot more does and young bucks.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 02:56 PM

If corn didn't attract deer, why would the state regulate it? So funny that anyone would even debate its effectiveness laugh
Posted By: jamesm1976

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 03:01 PM

Killed my second biggest ever yesterday morning at a feeder. Top10 ever for our family property in Escambia County.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270
If corn didn't attract deer, why would the state regulate it? So funny that anyone would even debate its effectiveness laugh

Food plots attract deer. Don't give 'em any ideas, Rem. They'll come up with a Food Plot Privilege Baiting License Permit Fee Permission requirement!
Posted By: centralala

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 03:31 PM

Will corn cause more deer to be killed? Don't know but it there is I'm willing to bet it will be told to us that it is just a jump in Game Check reporting by hunters. Around 37% for 3 years will now be 47% in year 4. Mark it down, an increase in number of deer killed will be viewed as hunter reporting increase.

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by centralala
Will corn cause more deer to be killed? Don't know but it there is I'm willing to bet it will be told to us that it is just a jump in Game Check reporting by hunters. Around 37% for 3 years will now be 47% in year 4. Mark it down, an increase in number of deer killed will be viewed as hunter reporting increase.

I killed more this year because of corn. Mark me down for 1 who would not have been killed without corn
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 04:07 PM

Have only hunted once this year so far - a few weeks ago during bow season. With that said, I've seen a TON..................of empty corn bags on the side of the road. Seriously, all over the place.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

Have only hunted once this year so far - a few weeks ago during bow season. With that said, I've seen a TON..................of empty corn bags on the side of the road. Seriously, all over the place.

Of course more deer will be killed, they all gonna get fat and lazy.
Posted By: MGrubber

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 06:53 PM

Corn will really be effective if we get some really cold weather. they don't need it until then. They will eat it some sure but when it gets real cold they need the high carbs for warmth.
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by MGrubber

Corn will really be effective if we get some really cold weather. they don't need it until then. They will eat it some sure but when it gets real cold they need the high carbs for warmth.

When it’s warm hunt the green. When it’s cold hunt the grain.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 10:14 PM

y'all just need to step up your game.....stop being poor and get a real feeder

[Linked Image]
Posted By: brushwhacker

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/25/19 11:43 PM

Killed a nice 9 point saturday morning. All these yahoos had corn out every where .Cut his stomach open . No corn. Acorns an grass. All i need to know.
Posted By: JBL

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 12:05 AM

Didnt use any corn. Been thinkin about pouring out some clorox though
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

y'all just need to step up your game.....stop being poor and get a real feeder

[Linked Image]

Elitist deer.
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 02:57 AM

Saw about 15 deer on a field Sunday afternoon. One was a decent wide 8 point just young. A mama and yearling fed at the feeder for just a few min That’s it. Buck never came near it.
Posted By: Phil_Army

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 03:06 AM

We've got way more daylight buck pics this year than we ever did before. It hasn't translated to getting one on the ground yet but last year all our big bucks were strictly nocturnal. We've got one feeder that's been having regular daylight visits by a shooter. Better believe I'll be sitting all day on Thursday

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ant67
Saw about 15 deer on a field Sunday afternoon. One was a decent wide 8 point just young. A mama and yearling fed at the feeder for just a few min That’s it. Buck never came near it.

It takes deer a while to get used to a feeder on a field. I had a feeder 40 yards off a field last yr that dozens of deer ate out of constantly last year. I moved it into the green field about a month ago and they act like they have never seen it before. I have pics of 3 deer eating out of it in a month but can throw corn around the feeder on the ground and every deer in the field will be there eating til it's gone. Deer are weird
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 04:54 AM

BAITING IS A JOKE. First time ever for me. I put bait out last Saturday. Just poured on ground. I honestly had near or more then 100 shot opportunities at 30 yards of deer head down broadside feeding probably 25-30 different deer. Including a bachelor group of 3 5 plus year old men of the woods bucks that came in with 4 minutes left. I passed the stud bucks at 15 yards to let them get to bait to shoot biggest and they were a little skittish and backed off at about end of legal shooting. Next 3 different folks set for an hour on Sunday an took a doe for meat. Went with nephew this morning and saw 9 come to bait pile in lowndes today in an hour. Nephew took a huge doe letting shooter buck for most walk. IT MAY CHANGE but baiting isnt hunting right now. IT'S more like shooting your grocery meat..
Posted By: sj22

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by jallencrockett
BAITING IS A JOKE. First time ever for me. I put bait out last Saturday. Just poured on ground. I honestly had near or more then 100 shot opportunities at 30 yards of deer head down broadside feeding probably 25-30 different deer. Including a bachelor group of 3 5 plus year old men of the woods bucks that came in with 4 minutes left. I passed the stud bucks at 15 yards to let them get to bait to shoot biggest and they were a little skittish and backed off at about end of legal shooting. Next 3 different folks set for an hour on Sunday an took a doe for meat. Went with nephew this morning and saw 9 come to bait pile in lowndes today in an hour. Nephew took a huge doe letting shooter buck for most walk. IT MAY CHANGE but baiting isnt hunting right now. IT'S more like shooting your grocery meat..

All this makes no sense to me, pass at 15 yards to shoot at bait pile! You need work on your story telling

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 01:08 PM

Whew. I thought I was the only one who read that and was like wtf is going on here.
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 02:14 PM

Can you repeat that one more time Jalencrockett for some of us with learning disabilities.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Originally Posted by Ant67

It takes deer a while to get used to a feeder on a field. I had a feeder 40 yards off a field last yr that dozens of deer ate out of constantly last year. I moved it into the green field about a month ago and they act like they have never seen it before. I have pics of 3 deer eating out of it in a month but can throw corn around the feeder on the ground and every deer in the field will be there eating til it's gone. Deer are weird

ha, deer don't like ANYTHING new.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 03:13 PM

re Crush Cam, they don't use straight corn ... best i recall, they "homebrew" their own feed ...
Posted By: Peach

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 03:14 PM

My brother and I saw a ton of deer this weekend and both killed nice bucks. A few deer we saw went straight to the piles of rice bran, but most avoided it. A lot of does ate corn around the feeders and the bucks seemed to want the grass planted in the fields. I didn't have a buck come to the feeder. There are still a lot of acorns in the woods.
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Now that’s a new spin on master baiting

And we all know you're the Master Baiter of Aldeer.....Matt..... grin

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 03:48 PM

I passed at 15 yards the bachelor group as the deer came from my off arm shooting side from behind and I only had 2-3 seconds to make shot. Could I have made shot? Most likely but letting deer come to bait pile was more ethical and if it worked it would have allowed me to judge the best deer to take..
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 03:54 PM

I got out feeders, but I didn't put them out thinking all of a sudden every buck in the woods would show up. I put them out to feed the doe deer and try to keep them on the property in January. You can bet your sweet ass, come the rut the bucks will cruise those feeders just like they do plots and bedding area's.

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 04:17 PM

Ding ding ding. Winner right there. Our rut is ongoing now. I had 8 different rack bucks stalking does at feeders last Friday.

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 04:28 PM

To attract deer that easily now requires everybody else to spend money. I put the bait out for kids and rookies. You can create a vacuum if you place bait in correct area.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 06:50 PM

To attract deer that easily now requires everybody else to spend money. I put the bait out for kids and rookies. You can create a vacuum if you place bait in correct area.

You must have some crappy native browse if your deer are on your corn that much, this early. They like acorns a lot more than corn.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden

You must have some crappy native browse if your deer are on your corn that much, this early. They like acorns a lot more than corn.

Exactly! I will not believe he put corn out and immediately that many deer found it
Posted By: jb20

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 07:37 PM

I put some out last week in cutover with cam and went yesterday to check it they ain't touched it yet and I know theys a lot of deer in there...its nothing new to them.. people been putting out corn round here forever they like my driveway corn tho but that's prob cuz it's a field with a bunch of big acorn trees around it

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/26/19 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden

I RAKED UP at Doctor office parking lots probably 150 -200 pounds of white oak anf nuttall acorns. That was placed next to 200 pounds of corn and 30 pounds of peanut butter rice bran. Yeah it was baited! Our habitat is off the chart for native browse. Probably 6-8 other types of acorns but mostly as mentioned...Bait was placed on saddle, where deer want to be as water oaks are also raining .
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/27/19 01:23 PM

Ive put out 700 pounds of it on 4 different properties all across southeast AL. The deer are barely using it. It hasn't affected my hunting at all. With nearly all of the area timber on a constant rotation of clearcutting and young growth, food for deer is abundant. I'm curious to see how much it picks up in the hard of winter when acorns are gone and browse has died back more.
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/27/19 02:13 PM

Shot a 15" spread 8 point over corn on Monday.... he came out a 3:30 and watched him for 20 minutes before I shot. I was in the middle of a nice hardwood bottom that had acorns falling all around me. The deer just wanted corn. All those stories about deer walking past corn to get to the white oaks are BS. I've watched deer all this year walk right past the sawtooth and white oaks to get to the corn feeders and green fields for that matter. Bucks stay at the feeders in the hollers while does go to the green fields. A deer is going to go to the path of least resistance period, whether that be a corn feeder, green field or peanut butter jar nailed to a tree.
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: Opening weekend corn survey - 11/27/19 04:58 PM

The takeaway from 3 pages.....a buck deer is going to do as he pleases and eat what he wants today! Deer are grazers and never feed solely on one source especially corn hence it is not the golden ticket. The best places have mucho native browse and acorns, possibly even soft mast and if you supplement that with feed whatever it may be...you have done all you can do to get old Split Toe in your sights. Deer act differently on every piece of property. Most susceptible to the feed in monoculture pine settings from year 7-8 til first thinning in most areas.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM