Aldeer.com

New Alabama Rut Map

Posted By: NWALJM

New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 06:31 PM

The AWFF just put this out today. popcorn

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sulli

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 06:40 PM

Ironically I just saw that post. Seems more in line with where I hunt (Pickens county). Last year was the first time I’ve seen a buck chase/following a doe in probably 7-8 years or longer. I remember in my teens, twenty’s and into my mid 30’s when you saw a doe mid December to early November that you better have your gun/bow ready. Miss those days of a pronounced and visible rut.
Posted By: sj22

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 06:41 PM

Looks about right for my area
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 06:49 PM

Finally a somewhat legit map
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 06:51 PM

I thought the map looked pretty dead on from my experiences hunting north Alabama.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 07:00 PM

That lil red dot on the lauderdale/limestone co line is a bit too far to left but it’s close
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
That lil red dot on the lauderdale/limestone co line is a bit too far to left but it’s close

I was wondering if that was you
Posted By: mike35549

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 07:30 PM

I would say that is spot on for Lamar and Walker counties.
Posted By: hunter84

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 07:30 PM

Pretty much in line for where we hunt.....
Posted By: jb20

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 07:41 PM

It's right for where I hunt
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 07:58 PM

I don't think it's right for Barbour county
Posted By: JBL

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 08:27 PM

How do they come up with those dates?
Posted By: abolt300

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBL

Fetus collection and aging then back dating to determine the date the doe was actually bred (based on development chart, length and weight). Pretty dang accurate way to do it. Map looks real close to me in the areas I hunt based on my experience in Wilcox, Clarke, Marengo, and Dallas. The green may be shaded over just a little bit to far to the west in Marengo but it's pretty close.
Posted By: JDawg

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 08:48 PM

accurate for my area
Posted By: JBL

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by abolt300
Originally Posted by JBL

Fetus collection and aging then back dating to determine the date the doe was actually bred (based on development chart, length and weight). Pretty dang accurate way to do it. Map looks real close to me in the areas I hunt based on my experience in Wilcox, Clarke, Marengo, and Dallas. The green may be shaded over just a little bit to far to the west in Marengo but it's pretty close.

That makes sense. I'd say it's pretty accurate for Jackson Co based on my experience hunting public land. I will say that on our farm in Jackson Co I dont see any rut activity until the 2nd week in Feb. I assume this may be a secondary rut, but it sure is strange to not see any during the primary time. Not sure why that is.
Posted By: Rutabaga

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 08:51 PM

IMO, dead on for Lamar County.
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 09:43 PM

Way better than that junk map AON used to put out..
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 10:09 PM

Not even close on that brown spot in Washington and South Clarke. Maybe they mean peak of the ruts in the road where you will get stuck the quickest!
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 10:34 PM

Not even close to accurate for Montgomery County.
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 10:55 PM

There is some very north Jackson & Dekalb county that needs shaded with that peach color dec7-15 is wide open . Other than that. Looks pretty good from what I can tell
Posted By: JohnG

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 10:58 PM

I like the green eyeball on the ET looking thing in Madison county.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 11:21 PM

Looks accurate for my area
Posted By: canvasback

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 11:30 PM

A month off for my area of Elmore County....
Posted By: Out back

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 11:49 PM

Totally hogwash.
Just like the harvest estimate, it's a wild ass guess.
Posted By: Reno

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/22/19 11:53 PM

Dads place is about the green dot on the st Claire/blount county line... Thats correct from what ive seen
Posted By: olemossy

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 12:00 AM

I think it is pretty accurate for what i have witnessed in our area.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 12:32 AM

Well I'll be, Chuckies own map debunks the need for February season in NA .
Posted By: MTeague

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs

Nobody is being made to hunt those extra 10 days....

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by MTeague

Nobody is being made to hunt those extra 10 days....

rolleyes Well why end it at Feb 10? Why not run it until March or May?

I bet that's what Chuckie told his biologist in NA who were against it .
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Out back
Totally hogwash.

Lol. Outback, we’ve got over a decade of data points all over the state. Very little guesswork.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 01:53 AM

Looks pretty good except for my place in Lee county. They are wide open at christmas time there.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
Totally hogwash.

Lol. Outback, we’ve got over a decade of data points all over the state. Very little guesswork.

Careful bringing data and science around here...
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 02:13 AM

Spot on for the places areas I hunt
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 02:49 AM

Okey dokey

But not even close for Lauderdale
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 03:11 AM

My place is kind of a overlap between 2 of the date ranges
Posted By: grundan

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 03:14 AM

more corn and Clorox gets em to rutting quicker...
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 03:29 AM

Very close for several areas around state I'm familiar with.
Posted By: eskimo270

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 03:46 AM

I hunt from the farthest southeast corner colored peach up to chambers county and that looks pretty accurate to me where I hunt
Posted By: Ben2

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 04:43 AM

Very accurate
Posted By: kkfish

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 04:45 AM

Chuck got that for y’all so take back all the bad things y’all said
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 04:58 AM

I'd agree with map
Posted By: Atoler

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 05:20 AM

Good map in a general sense. Certain counties in Alabama have huge variations in pockets and will never be nailed down with a map. Russell is a prime example, 3-4 different ruts. Jefferson and Jackson come to mind as well.

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBL
Originally Posted by abolt300
Originally Posted by JBL

That makes sense. I'd say it's pretty accurate for Jackson Co based on my experience hunting public land. I will say that on our farm in Jackson Co I dont see any rut activity until the 2nd week in Feb. I assume this may be a secondary rut, but it sure is strange to not see any during the primary time. Not sure why that is.

I agree pretty accurate for Jackson. I've always said in the areas I hunt , last 5 days of Dec. through first 5 days of Jan is money. Didn't need Chuckie and Co. to tell me that. Prime time breeding and calculating backwards from fawn drop tells the story. Mid and lower PRV is a little later. Reason being the deer released during restocking on the Jones farm in Lower PRV came from a different local than those released on Skyline.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by dBmV
Looks pretty good except for my place in Lee county. They are wide open at christmas time there.

Eastern Lee Co?
Posted By: Dallas County

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 08:57 PM

If you move that green eyeball in Dallas County about 10 miles east and south it would be dead center on me and very accurate.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/23/19 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by olemossy

Eastern Lee Co?

Western side, Salem area.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/24/19 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by olemossy

Eastern Lee Co?

Western side, Salem area.

Yep you better be there the week leading up to Christmas.
Posted By: bigt

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/24/19 02:17 PM

Looks spot on for my lease .... Feb 3,4 is always money
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/24/19 02:28 PM

Right for my area. Prob cause we helped with the study by doing conception studies
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/24/19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by duxlayer
There is some very north Jackson & Dekalb county that needs shaded with that peach color dec7-15 is wide open . Other than that. Looks pretty good from what I can tell

X2
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/25/19 04:04 AM

Totally hogwash.

The area around the influx of Uchee Creek into the Chattahoochee River in Russell County (Fort Mitchell area) is spot WRONG. Unless it has changed in the last 8-10 years, that is. If you look at the Easternmost tip of Russell County and follow the state line Northwest from there into the little notch in the line, that is the area I'm talking about. I have seen 6-8" fetuses when we gutted does in mid to late January. There would be all kinds of chasing going on before gun season opened each year; and the woods would be dead well before Christmas. We would sometimes see what we called a "second rut" in the days around and shortly after christmas, but most of the breeding activity was done around Thanksgiving or thereabout. There was no such thing as a spotted fawn during bow season there. I hunted the area for 11 or 12 years and never even heard tell of a spotted fawn during any open deer season.

The other areas I am familiar with seem to be spot ON.
Posted By: Booger

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/25/19 10:45 AM

For my places, they pretty well nailed it. The only exception is the Vance/Coaling area of Tuscaloosa Co. should be peach colored.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/25/19 12:34 PM

Chambers has so many ruts, they would
go crazy mapping it out.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/25/19 01:16 PM

Pretty much spot on for Conecuh. Last 15 days of season is typically the best.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/25/19 02:00 PM

I would say it's close for my area but I get a month's worth of rut.
Posted By: mman

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/25/19 04:25 PM

Spot on for the areas I've hunted. Excellent!!!
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/25/19 07:58 PM

I hunt 3 different areas of the State. Accurate for all 3 of those locations... all with different ruts.
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/25/19 08:54 PM

I guess I am the only one who does not think that the map is accurate at all for several areas of the state.

I've hunted several different areas, mostly in south Alabama but also some north of Birmingham and I have witnessed heavier chasing at different times than the map suggests. I'm sure there are studies to back up the map, but I have consistently witnessed bucks chasing at different times of the season than the map shows.

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/25/19 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nightwatchman
I guess I am the only one who does not think that the map is accurate at all for several areas of the state.

I've hunted several different areas, mostly in south Alabama but also some north of Birmingham and I have witnessed heavier chasing at different times than the map suggests. I'm sure there are studies to back up the map, but I have consistently witnessed bucks chasing at different times of the season than the map shows.

Bucks chasing does does not give the full picture, as they will do that any time they have hardened antler. Most visible chasing that hunters see occurs 10-14 days before peak breeding or conception. Fetal studies tell you exactly, to within 24 hours, when a doe conceived.

That doesn’t mean the map is complete. There are areas in the state we lack data, but of what we have data for, the conception dates don’t lie.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 12:07 AM

For the areas I hunt, it’s pretty damn accurate.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 12:48 AM

Bucks chasing does does not give the full picture, as they will do that any time they have hardened antler. Most visible chasing that hunters see occurs 10-14 days before peak breeding or conception. Fetal studies tell you exactly, to within 24 hours, when a doe conceived.

That doesn’t mean the map is complete. There are areas in the state we lack data, but of what we have data for, the conception dates don’t lie.

There's always exceptions.

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 01:09 AM

Yep, Chasing sightings do not indicate when actual breeding is happening.

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts

There's always exceptions.

That map is for averages, not exceptions. Exceptions can and do happen in everything. The map is pretty dang close to what is happening statewide with the breeding dates that have been collected. If you think there are areas grossly misrepresented then reach out to the district office in that area and offer up some property to collect on so it can be made more accurate.

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 02:58 AM

A lot of hunters don't see action and think rut hasn't hit yet when a lot of times it's happening or passed already...
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 03:23 PM

I'm painting what you're priming. Just because bucks are chasing does not mean that (on average) most does are actually conceiving around that time.

What can you tell us about other indicators of rut activity? i.e. tarsal glands darkening. If I shoot a buck in late January that stinks really bad and has jet black tarsal glands does that mean he is in full rut? Conversely, if I shoot a buck in early January and his glands are only somewhat dark does that mean that the rut is still several weeks away?

Or are these characteristics at all tied to actual chasing activity from a biologist's standpoint? I've always heard old timers talk alot about dark tarsal glands and bucks "stinking" but wondered what it meant from an actual biologist point of view. Grandaddy's ole huntin' advice is not always backed by science lol
Posted By: Cibola

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 03:28 PM

I see they are finally acknowledging the mid-November rut in eastern Lauderdale/western Limestone. Since they prolonged the season for areas with the late January/early February rut, are they going to open the gun season earlier in those areas that have peak rut before gun season opens?

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 03:57 PM

What can you tell us about other indicators of rut activity? i.e. tarsal glands darkening. If I shoot a buck in late January that stinks really bad and has jet black tarsal glands does that mean he is in full rut? Conversely, if I shoot a buck in early January and his glands are only somewhat dark does that mean that the rut is still several weeks away?

Or are these characteristics at all tied to actual chasing activity from a biologist's standpoint? I've always heard old timers talk alot about dark tarsal glands and bucks "stinking" but wondered what it meant from an actual biologist point of view. Grandaddy's ole huntin' advice is not always backed by science lol

I don’t put much emphasis on darkened tarsals or other physical characteristics. Reason being, all bucks are different. They all participate in the rut in different ways. Their activity has a lot to do with individual characteristics that I firmly believe they are genetically predispositioned towards certain behaviors. Some are more aggressive. Some less. Some are heavy scrapers. Some not so much. Some pee on their tarsals often. Some hardly ever do it. Those are not learned behaviors, as bucks are typically solitary during the breeding season. They’re genetically programmed to breed, but the behaviors that go along with breeding are certainly not the same for every buck.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 04:10 PM

What aboout the ones who pee on their tarsal glands too much...Do they go blind?
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 07:14 PM

Most visible chasing that hunters see occurs 10-14 days before peak breeding or conception.

^^^ Very interesting.

I think the map is a generally accurate presentation of average peak rut times for most of the State, but not all.
Certainly not accurate at all for Montgomery County - it should have that dark green covering most of the county - AND MOST of southeast Alabama.
I remember two other of these rut maps that had much later peak rut dates for Montgomery County then this new one.

If I applied that chasing "rule" to Montgomery County it would even be later.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 07:34 PM

I don’t put much emphasis on darkened tarsals or other physical characteristics. Reason being, all bucks are different. They all participate in the rut in different ways. Their activity has a lot to do with individual characteristics that I firmly believe they are genetically predispositioned towards certain behaviors. Some are more aggressive. Some less. Some are heavy scrapers. Some not so much. Some pee on their tarsals often. Some hardly ever do it. Those are not learned behaviors, as bucks are typically solitary during the breeding season. They’re genetically programmed to breed, but the behaviors that go along with breeding are certainly not the same for every buck.

I killed a good 8pt on Jan the 15th several years ago that had blonde tarsal glands, but he was run down some, so I know he had to have been chasing. He was out cruising. The rut map pretty much nails the rut on our 2 properties, and they have 2 different ruts.
Posted By: G/H

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 08:52 PM

I've got a buck in Butler county last week peeing on tarsal glands and working a scrape. I think it's just a community scrape. Also have a small spotted fawn on camera. If this doe was killed on Oct 15th I think she would have been still carrying
Posted By: joshm28

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/26/19 09:48 PM

You can’t rely much on buck behavior to determine the rut. Bucks testosterone levels remain low from post rut on. They get a spike in testosterone levels at the start of antler growth, then it falls off again. Towards the beginning of summer the levels start to ramp up and peak around the rut or shortly thereafter. Scraping, peeing on tarsals, fighting, rubbing is all dependent on that specific buck and not a good indicator of anything really. I shot a 10 point last year, right in the middle of the rut, and his tarsal glands were fairly clean. He was dogging does around a feeder the night before (game camera).

I’ve also read that young bucks breed a majority of the does and a mature buck will only breed 1-3 total. He made breed those does several times each during the lock down period. Young bucks typically start acting stupid a couple weeks before the mature bucks do. I guess that could be an indicator.

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/27/19 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by jb20
A lot of hunters don't see action and think rut hasn't hit yet when a lot of times it's happening or passed already...

In the mid 90s there was one season we had a long stretch of very unseasonably warm , humid weather right at prime breeding period in Ol' Hi-Jackson. It was in the 60's and low 70s day after day. Nobody was killing any or even seeing any bucks or does either. It was terrible . I heard many a hunter say " they didn't rut this season". Well third week of July the next summer fawns hit the ground just like always.
I'll add when that when a cold front swept through and the weather changed it was wide open and bucks were getting killed like I've never seen before or since in a about three day period. It was like someone opened a giant pen and let them out. I killed a dandy 8 point the morning the front moved through , that afternoon it snowed!

Re: New Alabama Rut Map - 11/27/19 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by jb20

In the mid 90s there was one season we had a long stretch of very unseasonably warm , humid weather right at prime breeding period in Ol' Hi-Jackson. It was in the 60's and low 70s day after day. Nobody was killing any or even seeing any bucks or does either. It was terrible . I heard many a hunter say " they didn't rut this season". Well third week of July the next summer fawns hit the ground just like always.
I'll add when that when a cold front swept through and the weather changed it was wide open and bucks were getting killed like I've never seen before or since in a about three day period. It was like someone opened a giant pen and let them out. I killed a dandy 8 point the morning the front moved through , that afternoon it snowed!

In all my years hunting I've only killed one dogging a doe. But my 4 best bucks from here have been within 5 days of each jan 15-20..i always make a bunch of phone calls during that time just to double check with other hunters and it's pretty steady year after year from my end
© 2024 ALDEER.COM