Aldeer.com

Saddle tree stands

Posted By: globe

Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 05:18 PM

Why are they coming back “in style”? I assume most people know they’ve been around for years. My brother and I tried one in the late 80’s with climbing boots and we decide multiple lock-ons and a few climbers were better. I didn’t like it in my teens, and I’m sure it would kill me in my late 40’s. A minimal climber just seems better to me. I think lone wolf made one that was super lite a while back. Or x stand maybe?
Just wondering if they had gotten that much better?
Posted By: southernr

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 06:53 PM

I jumped on the bandwagon this year. Still only have a few sits but there's no comparison to a climber or lockon when it comes to weight and mobility. Not to mention the fact that I can now climb any tree in the woods from 4 inches (maybe smaller) and up with or without limbs. It's also safer since you are always tied to the tree. You literally can't fall unless something were to fail majorly. If I strictly hunted private land I probably wouldn't own one. But for public land, I don't think it can be beat. That's also probably why they've made such a come back. With The Hunting Public, and Catman, and other YouTube hunting groups, I think public land hunting is growing more and more popular. Just my take...
Posted By: BPI

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 06:57 PM

A 4 inch tree ? May as well hunt on the ground.

I kid... Pics would be great though.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 06:58 PM

In Alabama, most of the time, there are plenty of tree's to climb. I think this is more of a millennial thing. But i'm 56, what the hell do I know. BTW, you cant fall out of my stands either, unless something major fails. As many pine tree's as there are in Alabama, I really don't see the advantage.

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by BPI
A 4 inch tree ? May as well hunt on the ground.

I kid... Pics would be great though.

I don't have any pics but there is plenty of info out there if you really want to look into it. Saddlehunter.com is loaded with info.

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
In Alabama, most of the time, there are plenty of tree's to climb. I think this is more of a millennial thing. But i'm 56, what the hell do I know. BTW, you cant fall out of my stands either, unless something major fails. As many pine tree's as there are in Alabama, I really don't see the advantage.

Lots of places I've hunted have very few pine trees. And more often than not when I have my climber the tree I "need" to be in, isn't good due to limbs or no shooting lanes. Gun hunting it's not as big of a deal. But when you need to get set up within 20-30 yards of where you think deer will be, it makes a difference. Another thing is with a saddle, you can shoot 360 degrees. You can't do that with a lockon or climber. And, you're right about falling out of a climber/lockon, but if you fall out of a climber, even with a harness on, you're gonna be in a bind. When I'm set up in a saddle I have constant tension on my tether. If I "fall" all I have to do is step back up on my platform or sticks and keep on hunting. It's more like a swing. I feel much safer than in a climber.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 08:06 PM

The only place you can't shoot from a climber is through the tree. I don't think the 360 degree shooting aspect really means much.
Posted By: LetOff

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 08:27 PM

Damn millennial's
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy
The only place you can't shoot from a climber is through the tree. I don't think the 360 degree shooting aspect really means much.

Originally Posted by globe
Why are they coming back “in style”? I assume most people know they’ve been around for years. My brother and I tried one in the late 80’s with climbing boots and we decide multiple lock-ons and a few climbers were better. I didn’t like it in my teens, and I’m sure it would kill me in my late 40’s. A minimal climber just seems better to me. I think lone wolf made one that was super lite a while back. Or x stand maybe?
Just wondering if they had gotten that much better?

On a whim I bought a new in the package Green's tree saddle from trophyline from a member here this past weekend. I would say popularity has risen with the desire to be as light as possible. This OG saddle is leather and not light. It is however, extremely comfortable and fun to sit in. Pushing around the tree to see all the shot possibilities was truly a blast. I can't wait to get a deer in this thing. With this in particular I traded a loud bulky hang-on for a fabric saddle. I can maneuver through thick brush a lot easier. I can imagine the new ones are even more maneuverable and light.
Posted By: lances

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 09:05 PM

I’m too old for them things lol

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy

Depending on size of tree, you're losing roughly 25% of your shooting window at a minimum. That's a pretty big deal... Also, with a saddle, generally you set up facing where you think deer will come from, meaning the tree is between you and where you plan on the deer to come from. That's more concealment which is always a plus. I'm not trying to persuade one way or another, just sounds like most people here knocking it haven't tried it. So far I haven't found a single con to saddle hunting. It's cut the weight I have to carry in by half at least. and like gcr003 said, I don't have to worry about my stand getting hung up on brush when going thru thick stuff either.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/19/19 10:45 PM

No, I haven't tried it and have no desire to. My son and I have our on club and land so we have extremely comfortable locons, with swivel boat seats, trampoline seat ladderstand, and shooting houses. My climber is a buckshot with a rail all the way around you the entire time your in the stand. You can face the tree or away from it. Extremely comfortable. I'm glad it works for you but I would find my own land to lease so I wouldn't have to use that everytime I went hunting.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/20/19 12:36 AM

No, I haven't tried it and have no desire to. My son and I have our on club and land so we have extremely comfortable locons, with swivel boat seats, trampoline seat ladderstand, and shooting houses. My climber is a buckshot with a rail all the way around you the entire time your in the stand. You can face the tree or away from it. Extremely comfortable. I'm glad it works for you but I would find my own land to lease so I wouldn't have to use that everytime I went hunting.

I have my own land leased as well as a big club. I enjoy it because I can constantly hunt new places. I can walk in to an area on a whim. It’s not the time In a tree that I benefit from a saddle. It’s the time from the truck to being setup that it shines.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/20/19 03:29 AM

Everything you said suggests that you’re not glad it works for them...
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/20/19 03:50 AM

Some folk dig them. On public land, I hang a lock-on, leave my anchor rope hanging next to the tree and I climb up using my climber bottom and the rope.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/20/19 04:26 AM

My saddle is no trouble at all to use and I like using it every time I go in. I can toss it in my backpack or wear it when I go in and I don’t have to carry a bulky, noisy, stand to woods nor do I have to find a tree I can get in when I get there. I had also rather pay $200 for a saddle and hunt public land vs dropping the money for a lease or hunting club every year.
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/20/19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by lances
I’m too old for them things lol

Me!
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/20/19 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by bigcountry692001

My saddle is no trouble at all to use and I like using it every time I go in. I can toss it in my backpack or wear it when I go in and I don’t have to carry a bulky, noisy, stand to woods nor do I have to find a tree I can get in when I get there. I had also rather pay $200 for a saddle and hunt public land vs dropping the money for a lease or hunting club every year.

I didn’t know you had to have a saddle to hunt public land 😀

$200 is not the total investment to be a saddle hunter. You’ve got to have sticks as well as a platform. Obviously saddles have a place in deer hunting but they’re not the end all be all. For now I’ll keep hunting out my climber.

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/20/19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

I didn’t know you had to have a saddle to hunt public land 😀

$200 is not the total investment to be a saddle hunter. You’ve got to have sticks as well as a platform. Obviously saddles have a place in deer hunting but they’re not the end all be all. For now I’ll keep hunting out my climber.

You’re right I’ve hunted public land without a saddle for years tree stands work just fine.

Complete saddle set up with sticks ~$600... can you keep a lease or join a good hunting club for a one time fee of $600

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/26/19 08:43 PM

Here's a little write up I just came across. Comparison of lock-on, climber, and saddles.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/gear/tree-saddle-vs-climber-vs-hang-on/
Posted By: dead_eye

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/27/19 04:14 AM

They look like a damn death trap!

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/27/19 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by dead_eye
They look like a damn death trap!

I feel much safer in my saddle than I’ve ever felt in any type of tree stand. I thought the same thing when I first seen them but after trying them I’ll never go back to a climber or hang on stand.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/27/19 01:25 PM

I'd rather pay the one time fee of $300 for a Summit Goliath that feels like a recliner in a tree and has always worked fine for me on public land. To each his own though.
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/27/19 05:08 PM

can you keep a lease or join a good hunting club for a one time fee of $600

Hayell naw.....
Don’t think anyone would starve their kids for one, but to me, they’re worth the money if you can afford it.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Saddle tree stands - 11/30/19 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by NWALJM
I'd rather pay the one time fee of $300 for a Summit Goliath that feels like a recliner in a tree and has always worked fine for me on public land. To each his own though.

Having seen the saddle that’s for sale in the Classifieds, I looked up how to use a saddle on YouTube. Now I’ll admit that I’ve never climbed with a saddle, much less hunted out of one. I currently have seven Summit climbers - Vipers and Goliaths. IMHO, they can’t be beat. Six of the seven stay in a tree (private club) throughout the hunting season, so all I’ve got to do is walk in and climb. Regardless of all that, I know what I’ve got with my climbers, so I’ll gladly tote in stand #7 to a new location.

Bottom line: To each his own. Saddle hunters, go forth and slay giant bucks! And I’ll tip my hat to you EVERY time you do that! But for me, I’ll stick with my Lay-Z-Boy Summits.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM