Aldeer.com

Best AL national forest hunting .....

Posted By: EdwardDrayton

Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/19/19 03:47 AM

Which of the two uppermost Alabama national forests —- Talladega or Bankhead —- would you say has the best deer hunting? Have hunted Conecuh successfully for a few years and looking to travel this year and hunt new territory.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/19/19 04:04 AM

If you want to hunt a true southern trophy deer on public land then go spend some time on bankhead.
Posted By: Savage33

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/19/19 04:21 AM

Bankhead has a strong history for producing public land giants.

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/19/19 04:51 AM

Thanks guys. Was kinda’ leaning Bankhead so good to hear confirmation of that.

If you know any RV campgrounds in proximity to Bankhead that you’d recommend, would certainly appreciate it. Thanks again for weighing in!!
Posted By: TATUM

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/19/19 05:35 PM

and you need to be there now
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/19/19 05:36 PM

right now....
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/19/19 06:30 PM

Rut is getting ready to wind down.... Thanksgiving it will be over for most of the forest.... you’ll still be able to find pockets on the Winston county side that don’t rut till early December but deer aren’t as big

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/19/19 09:41 PM

Thanks for the info guys!! Am leaving Fairhope Friday to head up for the entire week of Thanksgiving. Can’t wait!!
Posted By: tbbo71

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/19/19 10:27 PM

Theres a piece of national forest down on poplar grove church road in Perry county that has produced for me and a few of my buddies for years. Ive seen them rut anywhere from the first week of january all the way to the last week of january just based upon the weather it seems like. Ive hunted all the national forest in Alabama and killed in most. Plenty of deer in all of them but some of the biggest come out of bankhead because of the rough terrain and most of those real big ones were killed a long long way off the road
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/20/19 01:20 AM

'Skeegee grin
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/20/19 02:03 AM

Duggar Mountain?
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/20/19 01:55 PM

If you decide to try the Talladega NF Shoal Creek district (Cleburne, Calhoun, and Talladega Counties) you can hunt during the rut from pretty much right now until January depending on which county you go to. The deer density in this section is higher than Bankhead for the most part. You have to contend with the dog hunters in Talladega county but the other counties are stalk hunt only. Choccolocco and Hollins WMA are both in that district so there’s a lot of opportunity in terms of gun hunts on those places. Lots of area to hunt and if you do your homework you can get on some decent bucks. As far as trophy deer, Bankhead would be better for that but if you’re looking to fill the freezer then Talladega would be where I’d look.
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Best AL national forest hunting ..... - 11/20/19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by tbbo71
Theres a piece of national forest down on poplar grove church road in Perry county that has produced for me and a few of my buddies for years. Ive seen them rut anywhere from the first week of january all the way to the last week of january just based upon the weather it seems like. Ive hunted all the national forest in Alabama and killed in most. Plenty of deer in all of them but some of the biggest come out of bankhead because of the rough terrain and most of those real big ones were killed a long long way off the road

Man stop talking about that part of the forest on the internet. You're gonna ruin it for all of us lol. I've spent a lot of time hunting that part of the forest off of poplar grove church road. Actually haven't had much luck. I'm glad you have though. Actually kind of impressed. That has been tough hunting in my experience.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM