Aldeer.com

Night movement

Posted By: Chilli40

Night movement - 11/17/19 08:19 PM

Hunted all weekend for youth hunt with my 10 yr old. Not a single deer. They only seem to move at night. Hunting a cut over, any suggestions?
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Night movement - 11/17/19 08:26 PM

January will be better. How old is the cut over?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Night movement - 11/17/19 08:28 PM

downwind edge, get high as you dare. Cold still mornings are best, stay all day if ya can.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Night movement - 11/17/19 08:29 PM

Is it pressured? U got a camera out?
Posted By: JBL

Re: Night movement - 11/17/19 08:53 PM

They're sayin it's because of corn.

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2958490#Post2958490

Re: Night movement - 11/17/19 08:55 PM

It's a 3 year old cut over 40 acres. Got two green fields for a hunting club on the north side. I have 2 cams, only seen one day time deer in 3 month's.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Night movement - 11/17/19 09:06 PM

I'd hunt somewhere else until rut opens up..even if its public land
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Night movement - 11/17/19 09:20 PM

If the wind is not in your favor I wouldn't even bother. If it is, be patient. They will come.

Re: Night movement - 11/17/19 09:20 PM

I would hunt somewhere else, but there are 6 bucks coming through the land. A couple of em are nice bucks. Its sounding like I can't do much but wait til the rut
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Night movement - 11/17/19 09:21 PM

Most of my daytime pics have been in the 1030- 1400 range that's about change soon
Posted By: James

Re: Night movement - 11/17/19 10:10 PM

Guy told me yesterday the deer are moving at night, I said really is that a fact lol. Hell we've seen a ton of deer on the side of the rds, and feeding in fields between 1 and 2pm. Also seen a nice buck by mudcreek bridge on 5 around 2:15 pm. Ol' boy was easing back into the wood line.....

Re: Night movement - 11/18/19 02:12 PM

Could it be that we are walking in and scaring them out? And I'll try moving the cams.
Posted By: Hunt4Jesus

Re: Night movement - 11/18/19 03:56 PM

i truly believe the older deer begin to pattern us. Most 4 wheeler and foot traffic is early morn til 9-10 and 1-2 til dark. Why not move when that traffic is at its least! Its hard to wake up later and hunt mid day, or sit all day with a kid. During rut its all different, but now after that early season food source, these deer aren't stupid and begin to pick up on pressure.

I had 4 bucks on camera early october, and my son and i had one chance at them one morning, but i had stand in wrong place and he got busted shaking his head when i asked him a question. . We hunted that spot since and the bucks have long gone and nothing on camera but does. We see a lot of deer on this club, but every member has corn all over. This spot i have a feeder bag i keep full of mo buck feed. Its gone in like 4 days, but the bucks have virtually disappeared from the spot. It is the perfect spot on a creek, with a clear cut to our back and thinned out pines to our front. He wants to kill one with his crossbow, so we use this spot for bow only. Crazy thing is, all 4 bucks we had on camera (1 being a 10-12" cowhorn with possible 3-4" bases and a drop tine) have not been seen on any other field camera or members cameras.
Posted By: daylate

Re: Night movement - 11/18/19 05:03 PM

Unpredictable buck movement is one reason I love to hunt them. There is a bachelor group of 6 bucks on my Barbour County place that I have gotten only night time pictures of since they shed their velvet. Last monday I showed up at noon with the tractor to plant. I swapped out the camera card and when I viewed it, those 6 bucks were on the plot 30 minutes before I got there with the tractor. Just out of the blue they show up in the middle of the day. I am not interested in shooting any of them as the oldest among them are 3 year olds but it just makes me scratch my head. It is worth noting however that this was the day just before the freeze (Monday night/Tuesday morning) we had last week.

Re: Night movement - 11/18/19 08:21 PM

What I do know is,calling and racking was a waste of time. And I believe I put the stand in the wrong place. I also think putting out doe pee spray might have been a mistake. With that many bucks on the land I'm sure they will come back around for the rut. I was going to put another feeder out but I think one is enough, feels like cheating as is hopefully with the rain ending Sat we can at least see some day time movement this weekend.
I also know I never should have taken my son to Jiles county TN to hunt deer, that's like hunting on a private high pine farm. He got spoiled last year and now he is learning the truth about hunting.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Night movement - 11/18/19 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chilli40
calling and racking was a waste of time. I also think putting out doe pee spray might have been a mistake. .

Sounds like you found your problem.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Night movement - 11/18/19 09:00 PM

Don’t call. Don’t spray anything. Don’t walk through the cutover getting to your stand. That’ll fix your problem.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Night movement - 11/18/19 09:10 PM

If you are doing all that on just 40acres, a mature buck will disappear. Rut will get them moving around
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Night movement - 11/18/19 09:21 PM

3 year old cut over is just starting to get thick, and if it isn't replanted it's even less thick. If they can't see you walk in still they probably hear you. You need to have a way you can hunt from the edges because trying to set up in the middle of a 40 acre piece will guarantee you run everything out. I've hunted a spot like that and it's usually an all or nothing deal. Either you get in and set up on them, or you run them off to the next property. If you run them off consistently deer will pattern you in the drop of a hat and the piece becomes nearly unhuntable.

Re: Night movement - 11/19/19 01:38 AM

That's a big help as we are new to this. We will try to go in quiet. No spray no sounds. And if things dont change, I'll abandon the stand and get a way to hunt from the edge .

Re: Night movement - 11/27/19 08:56 PM

Finally seeing deer in daylight, on camera. It's usually after really windy day, the next morning two bucks and doe. Got to be something to that. And, I have spent the day killing wasps in my stand. Suckers are everywhere today
Posted By: Out back

Re: Night movement - 11/27/19 09:00 PM

I knew the warm weather wasn't gone yet but it has been miserable today.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Night movement - 11/27/19 09:04 PM

77 here in Selma. I didn’t even bring my hunting stuff for thanksgiving. Hot down here.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Night movement - 11/27/19 09:35 PM

Definitely warm but my food plots really needed a couple warm days
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Night movement - 11/27/19 09:40 PM

What he said

Re: Night movement - 11/27/19 09:46 PM

I know that's right but how did weather get involved in this one?
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Night movement - 11/27/19 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts
I know that's right but how did weather get involved in this one?

OP referenced weather in his last post 😂😂 doesn’t take much to cause a derailment around here

Re: Night movement - 11/27/19 10:11 PM

Oh
© 2024 ALDEER.COM