Aldeer.com

Ground Blind

Posted By: AC870

Ground Blind - 11/16/19 03:24 PM

It’s a sign I’m getting old and soft.
But I really like those pop up ground blinds. You can spread out, drink your coffee. Keep the rain off your head. Not gonna fall out of it and break your neck.
I’d never fooled with them until I hunted with outdoor obsession in Kentucky last year.
I’ve drank the koolaide on ground blinds.
My other stands are ladders. My portable setup is a little millennium tree seat.
Ladders and ground blinds. The domain of the old guys. Comfort matters.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Ground Blind - 11/16/19 03:57 PM

I used to only climb, then it was lock ons, then ladders. I now own 4 ground blinds. I may just be getting lazy.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ground Blind - 11/16/19 03:58 PM

Good man AC. I shoot some good bucks out of ground blinds. As long as they are in the right place they are great

I have even more out now as my dang broken ankle still hasnt healed right and climbing hurts like an SOB

Also my wife can come on an afternoon hunt and we are both comfortable. They are especially GREAT when its raining!
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Ground Blind - 11/16/19 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by outdoorobsession
Good man AC. I shoot some good bucks out of ground blinds. As long as they are in the right place they are great

I have even more out now as my dang broken ankle still hasnt healed right and climbing hurts like an SOB

Also my wife can come on an afternoon hunt and we are both comfortable. They are especially GREAT when its raining!

And you can knock you off a piece while y'all are hunting
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Ground Blind - 11/16/19 04:34 PM

Safe too.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Ground Blind - 11/16/19 05:19 PM

We have around 15 shooting houses but I seldom sit in any of them. My favorite is a tripod
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ground Blind - 11/16/19 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb
Originally Posted by outdoorobsession

And you can knock you off a piece while y'all are hunting

thumbup grin
Posted By: bdw32

Re: Ground Blind - 11/16/19 06:28 PM

Welp Beadles talked me into getting some ground blinds.
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: Ground Blind - 11/16/19 06:43 PM

Effective! Have had several bow shots inside 10 yards. ALSo, a propane heater is awesome! Got to be some benefit to gettin old!
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Ground Blind - 11/16/19 10:58 PM

They are the beesknees...i really likem i ustah put out about 25 per year for our bowhunters in texas. I learned to love them as long as they are set up correctly.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Ground Blind - 11/16/19 11:14 PM

I’ve been hunting from blinds for years . I usually have a Buddy heater a comfy chair shooting sticks and my pack full of drinks and snacks. Can sit all day and even stretch out if I want
Posted By: Bar7Mag

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 03:54 AM

Which blinds are y’all buying?
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 04:13 AM

I have one I bought from Sportmans Guide that sits on top of a metal platform I really like.

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 04:30 AM

Mine is just the Ameristep. The boxy one. I got one of the teepee models too. It’s not as roomy and comfortable.
Wife bought mine for me year or 2 back for Christmas. I leave it out November to February, then bring it in. It’s helped me hunt on some cold, drizzly days.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 12:12 PM

Best thing ever made for ground blinds is the Caldwell Fieldpod. It's a tripod that you can adjust to your chair height with a gun rest,it firmly swivels side to side and pivots up and down. Dang nice for road crossings because the gun is up and ready to shoot. I got one several years ago so my kids would have a good rest but since then have gotten a couple more.
Posted By: scrape

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 01:30 PM

I only like em when Iam hunting in one direction only with one window open,

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by scrape
I only like em when Iam hunting in one direction only with one window open,

How I do it, 2 windows at most.
Mine you can open a small window or the big window.
I like the small window.
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by JohnG
Best thing ever made for ground blinds is the Caldwell Fieldpod. It's a tripod that you can adjust to your chair height with a gun rest,it firmly swivels side to side and pivots up and down. Dang nice for road crossings because the gun is up and ready to shoot. I got one several years ago so my kids would have a good rest but since then have gotten a couple more.

I give it 2 thumbs up. I bought one for the kid to use on the youth hunt....It's nice. I'll use it when I hunt out of blinds/shooting houses in the future.
Posted By: daylate

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 02:02 PM

Been using them off and on for years but never found one that would last more than a few months in the elements. It's been like buying disposable yet expensive stands. I bought one yesterday from Rural King that I am hopeful will last longer. It is a Muddy and is made of a heavier duty canvas like material.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 02:29 PM

A used pre-primos double bull fell into my hands last year for a decent price. That thing is awesome. There was a broken part and promos sent a new part for $5.00 shipped to the door. Very happy with the build. It will get pulled after February hunt. The plan is to go spray a coat or two of scotch Gaurd on it after it’s been out there a couple weeks and is dry.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 03:06 PM

I used a few Ameristep brand and a few Rhino brand.
I've had a few of them for several years with no issues....well a limb did fall and put a hole in the top of one but some good ole Gorilla tape fixed that problem
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 03:17 PM

We have an Ameristep Crush Silencer that we have been using for 3 seasons now. It gets put up in September, and stays up at least until January, sometimes on into turkey season.

Still dry and works great.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Ground Blind - 11/17/19 04:36 PM

Only thing I've found bad about them is you got to set as far back as you can . You have to watch glare off the scope lens .

I live using a H&R singe shot . A short rifle works great out of the pop ups
Posted By: Chilli40

Re: Ground Blind - 11/19/19 02:57 AM

Is it too late to set up a ground blind? I've heard good and bad about it
Posted By: jb20

Re: Ground Blind - 11/19/19 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chilli40
Is it too late to set up a ground blind? I've heard good and bad about it

Never used one myself and I bowhunt n gun hunt 90% of time on ground..just find cover or break sum branches n stick in ground if u hunt alone..gotta be downwind of where u expect game tho it's a bit tougher
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Ground Blind - 11/19/19 03:41 AM

I put one out last friday afternoon right on the edge of a Greenfield at our place. Sat in it sat evening(next day) and saw 15 deer. One of which was a dang good 3yr old 8 point that walked by the blind at 30 yards. Totally caught me off guard. I ended up shooting a doe that evening at 34 yards. The longer it's in place,the more calm/accustomed to it the deer will be. Before I shot the doe,I'd tried drawing 3 times earlier,but was spotted by other deer in the field. There was always eyes on me. I took it down after retrieving my doe though. Was up for 24 hours and produced an easy rifle shot at a buck and a doe in the freezer.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Ground Blind - 11/19/19 12:07 PM

I really like the one that I have. I cant remember the brand but I bought it at Rural King and spent way more than I've ever spent on a blind before and am glad I did because it is the biggest blind I've ever been in and me, my 4 year old and my wife can all get in it and be comfortable even with him walking all around which is mainly why I bought it so we could all go hunting and be comfortable and have a good time.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Ground Blind - 11/19/19 11:14 PM

I bought, I think a rhino blind from Walmart about 4-5 years ago for $88. I use it some, but prefer to be able to see 360 degrees. Most are not waterproof. I buy some cheap camo tarps to put over the top. Use them mostly when it's raining during the rut, that's the only time I'll sit in the rain.
Posted By: Jason Carroll

Re: Ground Blind - 11/22/19 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by JohnG

The field pod is awesome. If I could recommend a piece of gear this is it. Especially for longer ranges.
Posted By: 280AI_HAMMER

Re: Ground Blind - 11/22/19 04:47 AM

Concrete wire covered with blue type tarps but brown zip ties pvc pipe insulation in windows warm as hell
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Ground Blind - 11/22/19 05:36 AM

Ground blind offers diversity to me some places are great to hunt but pines are to small and thick to climb.also come turkey season they are nice also.me and my son have killed a few out of blinds since he was little.im not old or lazy (maybe to busy to think straight most times)but I got a blind in my truck right now ready to pop up

Re: Ground Blind - 11/22/19 11:21 PM

Killed one in South GA this week in a ground blind that had been set up less than 3 hours. Changed my mind a bit.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Ground Blind - 11/22/19 11:34 PM

I love them. I can be lazy and still be concealed. Fall asleep and not fall out!
Some of the places I hunt is better on the ground. You climb 10-15 feet and can't see anything.

Re: Ground Blind - 11/23/19 05:19 AM

I just gots one problem with mine tonight. It’s set up for a north wind...
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: Ground Blind - 11/23/19 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by AC870

I just gots one problem with mine tonight. It’s set up for a north wind...

I have the same problem.. trying to figure out where to hunt.. weather shows from 5am-11am the wind changes directions 3 times🤔
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: Ground Blind - 11/24/19 01:43 AM

In ground blind at 3 in the evening, shot young 8 point at 3:15, didn’t even get to eat my cookies!
Posted By: David Ellis

Re: Ground Blind - 11/24/19 06:36 AM

Never had one. Looking to buy some ground blinds now, but would like rain proof and easy to put up. Can't see paying $ 400 for the Primos blinds. What does everyone recommend ?

Re: Ground Blind - 11/24/19 11:26 AM

Ameristep. Walmart.
Posted By: hoggin

Re: Ground Blind - 11/24/19 12:27 PM

I started using them 17-18 years ago on my Kentucky hunts. Sitting up on the edges of fields or thick spots left in the fields for various reasons. My first one was a double bull and the first time I used it I had to kill a spike in self defense that came in it with me. Only got to use that one once, not much left when we got out.
Posted By: plt228

Re: Ground Blind - 11/24/19 12:39 PM

This is my first year trying a blind. I went for a Rhino BC150 because it has clips on the doors and hooks on the windows. No zippers and no Velcro. On youth weekend my daughter got her first deer(5 pt). She had time to get her earmuffs on, get behind the rifle(tripod mounted) and aim , neither deer knew we were here. Now this morning she’s a little tired so she’s covered up with a blanket on the floor (laid a moving blanket down as a floor) and is resting till the deer show up.
Posted By: crocker

Re: Ground Blind - 11/24/19 02:27 PM

What everybody using for chairs? Seems I have an issue being them being to high or to low.
Posted By: Auburn_03

Re: Ground Blind - 11/24/19 08:57 PM

I use a Cabelas brand chair with adjustable feet and armrest. It’s extremely comfortable, but kinda pricey.

Re: Ground Blind - 11/24/19 10:01 PM

Millennium G100. Awesome chair, light, very comfortable
Posted By: nacho

Re: Ground Blind - 11/24/19 10:02 PM

The $15/$18 dollar directors chairs is what I use in the blinds and some shooting house as a extra. They are quiet and you don’t sink into the ground like some chairs.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM