Aldeer.com

Tree stand FYI

Posted By: 2Dogs

Tree stand FYI - 11/03/19 02:23 PM

Just a FYI for those who put up loc-ons and ladders permanently . If you attach them to a Hickory , you MUST occasionally loosen the chain and/or straps . Hickorys are so hard they will not grow around the tree stand bars or chains. They'll break your chain , if the chain is strong, it'll break the stand. I have stands that have trees ( even oaks) grown around the bars and chains, Hickory won't do it. I love ladders that are grown into trees, safe as being in yo Momma's arms.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Tree stand FYI - 11/03/19 04:00 PM

Doesn't work well for screw in steps tho. I made the mistake of leaving some in trees and after two years they were un-usable.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Tree stand FYI - 11/03/19 04:31 PM

Don't think I've ever tried to put screw in steps in a hickory, eek, those things are harder than a woodpecker's pecker.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Tree stand FYI - 11/03/19 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by perchjerker
Doesn't work well for screw in steps tho. I made the mistake of leaving some in trees and after two years they were un-usable.

Some folks at a saw mill are gonna be pissed off at you one day. Lol
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Tree stand FYI - 11/03/19 06:36 PM

Gotta ladder in one of my best spots grown into the tree that I just cut a new plywood seat for.

“Momma’s Arms” fer shol
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Tree stand FYI - 11/03/19 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by BayedUp
Originally Posted by perchjerker

Some folks at a saw mill are gonna be pissed off at you one day. Lol

My favorites are down by the creek in the no cut zone.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Tree stand FYI - 11/03/19 06:51 PM

Bayed up, most Saw mills use metal detectors before they cut anything now. There are thousands of cotton picker spinals in trees all over the South.
Posted By: MC21

Re: Tree stand FYI - 11/03/19 06:55 PM

You should check your chains every year and loosen them up every other year
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Tree stand FYI - 11/03/19 08:57 PM

I pull my lock-ons down every year. The ladders have been up about 15 years I have now. I loosen them every year so they don't grow into my trees. Stands are too expensive now to not take care of.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Tree stand FYI - 11/03/19 11:31 PM

I like a turn buckle with a chain and add a new ratchet strap each year. I’m accident prone big time.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Tree stand FYI - 11/04/19 12:56 PM

We check ratchet straps every year and loosen them some. We loosen our cinch straps on our sticks yearly. We replace both every 2 years. We have lifelines on all loc-ons.
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Tree stand FYI - 11/04/19 04:21 PM

FYI, your life is worth not buying the cheapest Ratchet Strap from WalMart. Ratchet Straps are made from, for the most part, three materials... Polypropylene, Nylon and Polyester. BUY THE POLYESTER straps. I don't have time to list all the reasons why, but take my word for it. Polyester is the best material so make sure you're buying quality. IDK the website, but I buy my ratchet straps online and they're QUALITY. In this case, a broken ratchet strap won't mean, "Just another ladder on the Interstate (road)!" but rather a hunter on the ground from a 25'-15' fall. Oh, I always put more than one ratchet strap on my Loc-ons and I ALWAYS us a LifeLine.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM