Aldeer.com

Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area

Posted By: wdmax1

Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/23/19 01:50 AM

Have multiple packs, one of at least 6 coyotes running my herd pretty hard. Noticing less and less fawns on trail cams. Willing to pay to have someone come in and start trapping them and you can keep the furs - these are very healthy yotes. For last seven years one or two per camera, this year they’ve gone full mad.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/23/19 11:52 AM

Hunt them during deer season. Give the deer a break and still enjoy the hinting season?
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/23/19 12:08 PM

I wish I still had time to check traps everyday. I'd do it.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/23/19 02:53 PM

Be prepared to pay a good bit for a trapper to come in. You may have a little sticker shock. There's really no money in coyote furs from Alabama so the only money the trapper will get is what he charges you. Its labor intensive too and requires them to come out every day for a couple weeks and run the trap line. I learned how to trap and started getting pretty proficient at it in hopes of doing just what you're wanting to have done. When you start telling folks that it'll cost them $1500 or $2000 to trap for a couple weeks though.....they tend to start back peddling on the idea.

If you're not wanting to pay that kind of price and you live close to the land....I'd suggest getting you a dozen traps and start learning. Its actually pretty fun and not all that difficult. There's a trapping store down in Ramer that has everything you need to get started.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/23/19 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Be prepared to pay a good bit for a trapper to come in. You may have a little sticker shock. There's really no money in coyote furs from Alabama so the only money the trapper will get is what he charges you. Its labor intensive too and requires them to come out every day for a couple weeks and run the trap line. I learned how to trap and started getting pretty proficient at it in hopes of doing just what you're wanting to have done. When you start telling folks that it'll cost them $1500 or $2000 to trap for a couple weeks though.....they tend to start back peddling on the idea.

If you're not wanting to pay that kind of price and you live close to the land....I'd suggest getting you a dozen traps and start learning. Its actually pretty fun and not all that difficult. There's a trapping store down in Ramer that has everything you need to get started.

Yep. I had people agree to prices and then not pay me for beaver jobs because "I only caught 4-5" and that was all that was in their stream. I tried it as a side gig right out of highschool and quickly realized that it's tough to get people to pay what it's actually worth. That being said though, now that I have a good job I'd be more inclined to do it for a little extra side money plus the fun of it if I had time to do it.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/23/19 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Hunt them during deer season.

Won’t help nothing
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/23/19 05:40 PM

While you have to kill every one you see during deer season, I think the best time to actually hunt them is in late spring and early summer.
They respond to calling easier at that time for some reason, something to do with breeding or having pups or something.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/23/19 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by turkey247
Originally Posted by Ben2
Hunt them during deer season.

Won’t help nothing

Why? I would think you could work on them in 4 months hunting them regularly
Posted By: CNC

Re: Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/23/19 09:19 PM

It's like a.tire running through a mud puddle full of water. Its only void of water for a very short time period before filling back in. Yotes fill in the void pretty quickly. In order to be effective you need to trap then out just prior to fawn drop so that hopefully by the time they fill back in your fawns will be old enough to not be so vulnerable
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/23/19 09:43 PM

My cousin in south Ms has a successful control story of the predators on the hunting club he’s a member of. They have caught 69 yotes in the last 3 years. The club is in the neighborhood of 5k acres. He is fortunate to live right near the club and to have a job that allows for him to spend a lot of time in the woods. He told me the other day that their deer population is doing well, even for an area not well known for deer numbers. Prior to this 3 year trapping, they didn’t shoot does. He said the population always seems low and did not grow. Seems the yotes were controlling it for them. Now he says he sees very little sign of the coyotes. There are still a few, but not to the extent of needing trapping. He is now focused on the neighboring clubs that have given him permission to trap their property, which will subsequently help his cause because he will potentially be catching some of the ones that would be moving back to his original club. of course, all of this requires much work.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/23/19 10:44 PM

We killing yotes like parvo on our property......Just sayin.
Posted By: wdmax1

Re: Losing my fawns, need trapper in Millbrook area - 10/24/19 11:44 AM

Thanks for the responses. I’m planning to hire someone. No way to eradicate, but want to get a strong jump on it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM