Aldeer.com

Legal Shooting light

Posted By: flounderpounder

Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 03:33 PM

Have any of you passed on a big buck you would have killed because it was past "Legal" shooting light but plenty enough light to still see him with or without your scope?
Posted By: daylate

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 03:45 PM

Yes but I have to also say that I was hunting near the gate where one of the local game wardens was supposed to meet me after I got out of the stand. We had invited him to a fish fry at our camp that evening. A buck I had been after for 3 years showed up 300 yards straight ahead and behind a doe as they both SLOWLY made their way in my direction up the road. They eventually made it to 100 yards and she was not in the way anymore. I could clearly see him and the crosshairs but knew it was too late.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 03:55 PM

Yes, many times. But when I was a teenager I was hunting in the snow one time when there was a full moon and I guess I should have taken a watch. Luckily I didn't see anything cause by the time I figured it was past legal shooting I walked to my truck (maybe 10 minutes) and it was after 8pm. So, I hunted about 3 extra hours that night.

But being completely honest, I almost always bowhunt and maybe some of it is not wanting to make a bad shot and end up wounding a big buck. Once it starts getting close to dark it is very tough to see twigs and branches between you and the deer.

Posted By: Clem

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by flounderpounder
Have any of you passed on a big buck you would have killed because it was past "Legal" shooting light but plenty enough light to still see him with or without your scope?

Yep. Passed on one I could've shot with my bow because of "legal time."

It's complete bullchit. Nothing was broken but damned if they didn't have to "fix" it.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Semo
.... when there was a full moon and I guess I should have taken a watch. Luckily I didn't see anything cause by the time I figured it was past legal shooting I walked to my truck (maybe 10 minutes) and it was after 8pm. So, I hunted about 3 extra hours that night.

yup, any decent set of bino's/scope will let you see clear as a bell in moonlight conditions ...
Posted By: top cat

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 05:14 PM

whistle whistle
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 05:29 PM

Nope.
Posted By: burbank

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 05:42 PM

#WhatwouldTimberdo?
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

It's complete bullchit. Nothing was broken but damned if they didn't have to "fix" it.

They did it because hunters complained about the "daylight hours only" wording and demanded a time...they got what they wanted.
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by doekiller
Nope.

This
Posted By: daylate

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by burbank
#WhatwouldTimberdo?

Nothing. He wouldn't be hunting that early and would be out before sunup.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 06:06 PM

What is this legal shooting light you speak of? 😀😀
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by top cat

whistle whistle
Posted By: jb20

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sandmtnslayer
Originally Posted by doekiller
Nope.

This
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 06:15 PM

if I can see thru my scope still and I know its not excessively past legal light Im shooting.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Skullworks
Originally Posted by Clem

They did it because hunters complained about the "daylight hours only" wording and demanded a time...they got what they wanted.

Some may have. Most folks with common sense knew when it was too dark or not light enough to take a good, ethical shot and didn't need to be told about "shooting time."
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 08:45 PM

The current law needs to be about 15 min longer. Past 45 min after sunset your eyes play tricks on you and that 10 point ends up being a 3 point
Posted By: centralala

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 08:46 PM

"Wasn't me that shot. Musta been the neighbor."
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/21/19 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ant67
The current law needs to be about 15 min longer. Past 45 min after sunset your eyes play tricks on you and that 10 point ends up being a 3 point

Some days you can see VERY WELL at 45 min past sundown. Other times you can't see well enough to shoot 25 min after sundown. It all depends and it was better before the 30+ or -.

Where is the 30 min window timed from? One of my leases is 30 miles west of Birmingham. Sunset time in Birmingham is different that at that specific lease. I've never really thought about that until now
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/22/19 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by joshm28
Originally Posted by Ant67

Some days you can see VERY WELL at 45 min past sundown. Other times you can't see well enough to shoot 25 min after sundown. It all depends and it was better before the 30+ or -.

Where is the 30 min window timed from? One of my leases is 30 miles west of Birmingham. Sunset time in Birmingham is different that at that specific lease. I've never really thought about that until now

Whatever the weather app says for the closest city to you. That’s what I go by anyways.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/22/19 02:20 AM

I would tell you if I wore a watch.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/22/19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Skullworks

Whatever the weather app says for the closest city to you. That’s what I go by anyways.

Yep
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/22/19 07:57 PM

Nope!
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/22/19 09:58 PM

I think, don't quote me on this, well don't ever quote me on anything for that matter, but there's only a few minutes deviance between sunrise/sunset times per degree of longitude. Not much difference. May be 5 minutes difference across the whole state.
Posted By: hawndog

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/22/19 10:02 PM

Rule is BS. There is plenty of light left at cut off time. As for the original question; well I'll just say no.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/23/19 03:07 AM

Depends on definition of big buck.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/23/19 03:19 AM

I’ll shoot a deer on my damn farm when I can safely see what it is no matter what a clock says and they can kiss my ass
Posted By: Semo

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/23/19 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by slippinlipjr
I think, don't quote me on this, well don't ever quote me on anything for that matter, but there's only a few minutes deviance between sunrise/sunset times per degree of longitude. Not much difference. May be 5 minutes difference across the whole state.

I could look it up but I thought it was 1 minute for every 13 miles. could be wrong though.
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/23/19 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
I’ll shoot a deer on my damn farm when I can safely see what it is no matter what a clock says and they can kiss my ass

^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Shhwing

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/23/19 10:21 AM

I go by the sunset and sunrise times on the Outdoor AL app on my phone
Posted By: bigfoot15

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/24/19 10:49 PM

I like 257's response!
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/24/19 11:08 PM

No . If I can see it good enough to age it , I kill it
Posted By: Ruger8point

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/25/19 12:04 AM

Hunting in thick low light woods I rarely even sit till the 30 minutes after sundown because I can’t see. But on a foodplot I’m not about to miss out on a buck because of a couple minutes. They can’t expect you to keep pulling out your phone watching the time. And the few game wardens I’ve met were all very understanding people and know all this and wouldn’t give you a ticket anyway. If you were someone they had been after it would be different I’m sure
Posted By: booner

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/25/19 12:23 AM

I didn't just buy a new S&B for nature watching....
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/25/19 12:52 AM

What’s legal shooting light

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/25/19 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

That's right
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/25/19 10:17 PM

I thought legal shooting light was up to when you can't see & identify without aid of optical hardware!!!
Posted By: skipperbrown

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/25/19 11:48 PM

I once heard that if a warden had to use his flashlight to read your license, you shot too late.
Posted By: Groundhawg

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/26/19 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly
if I can see thru my scope still and I know its not excessively past legal light Im shooting.

So it is okay to pick and choose which laws we which to disregard? Hum...when does someone cease being a hunter and becomes a poacher?
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/26/19 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Groundhawg

So it is okay to pick and choose which laws we which to disregard? Hum...when does someone cease being a hunter and becomes a poacher?

When it becomes bull sh!t
Posted By: Young20

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/26/19 03:41 PM

[quote=GKelly]if I can see thru my scope still and I know its not excessively past legal light Im shooting.
I've actually had an Alabama game warden tell me "considering the quality of today's optics they are much more lenient on legal shooting light". He, jokingly added, "When you are seeing your shadow from moonlight, it's time to quit."
Posted By: capehorn24

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/26/19 04:42 PM

Groundhawg, should not have went there, game check, shooting light and bait permits are all ok to ignore, but let timber2 do a little slipping and the holier than thou crowd is going to unleash their wrath for breaking that law, just like a bunch of Democrats who think the law only applies to the other folks

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/26/19 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by capehorn24

Groundhawg, should not have went there, game check, shooting light and bait permits are all ok to ignore, but let timber2 do a little slipping and the holier than thou crowd is going to unleash their wrath for breaking that law, just like a bunch of Democrats who think the law only applies to the other folks

You bet!. I am sure no where near perfect, never have been and not ever gonna be perfect, but it so strange to me that folks want to pick and choose which rules and/or laws that they want to follow or not then jump all over people when it is something they disagree with.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/26/19 09:20 PM

I bet you exceed the speed limit, you pavement poacher.

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/26/19 10:07 PM

I mean seriously guys sitting over a pile of corn or shooting past what they call legal light what the he'll? The only difference is 15 dollars

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/26/19 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sandmtnslayer
I mean seriously guys sitting over a pile of corn or shooting past what they call legal light what the he'll? The only difference is 15 dollars

But as of today with $15 it's legal past legal time is not.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/27/19 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Young20
[quote=GKelly]if I can see thru my scope still and I know its not excessively past legal light Im shooting.
I've actually had an Alabama game warden tell me "considering the quality of today's optics they are much more lenient on legal shooting light". He, jokingly added, "When you are seeing your shadow from moonlight, it's time to quit."

Actually, they may not admit to their internal brotherhood covenant top secret agreement but its when the color green is not visible they write you up

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/27/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs

I bet you exceed the speed limit, you pavement poacher.

Nope, own a ford and can not exceed speed limit as will not get over 35 MPH. Hope to get a Chev someday and then will be able to outrun everyone else.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/27/19 02:31 PM

I would never consider disobedience of the rules.
It's a mute point because I do not own any firearms.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/28/19 01:41 AM

I’ve never passed up a buck that I wanted to shoot with a gun or a bow because of the lack of light.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/28/19 04:55 AM

I have cause i was on wma land. And you dont know who is waitin at your truck when you walk back. Id be mad if i shot, gutted and drug it to truck just to have the wardens take it from me and write me up. It wasnt a monster anyway.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/28/19 04:59 AM

Sometimes i can see past time but in the mornings i cant see good enough. Its aggravating. Each day i check the bama reg book. If im on public. Its aggravating to deal with really.

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/28/19 10:41 AM

Warden said at skyline a few yrs ago just don't be stupid with it if u can see without a light we won't say nothing except on full moon
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/31/19 01:55 AM

I don't shoot past time. It may be great to say you don't care, but I follow the law. Not worth the risk.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Legal Shooting light - 10/31/19 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by modoc_333
I don't shoot past time. It may be great to say you don't care, but I follow the law. Not worth the risk.

Good answer. Stick with that.
Posted By: Dallas County

Re: Legal Shooting light - 11/01/19 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by slippinlipjr
I don't think that's very close.....The curvature of the earth is about 8" per mile and the state is about 200 miles across the center. So that's roughly 133' of vertical difference. You can watch the sunset on the ground move up to the tree tops and it takes a hell of a lot more than 5 minutes. I'm not going to get into the speed of the earth's rotation and all that, but it's much more than 5 minutes, probably closer to an hour.

Re: Legal Shooting light - 11/01/19 11:09 PM

Tried an earlier post but guess it didn't happen, Looked at a website that had Auburn sunset at 5:51 and Demopolis at 6:00 today. So it will probably be longer than 5 minutes but don't think it will be closer to an hour. will go back and try to find and post the link..

Re: Legal Shooting light - 11/02/19 11:01 AM

Tried an earlier post but guess it didn't happen, Looked at a website that had Auburn sunset at 5:51 and Demopolis at 6:00 today. So it will probably be longer than 5 minutes but don't think it will be closer to an hour. will go back and try to find and post the link..
I did the same thing and your right. I guess the speed of the rotation of the earth (1000 mph)overcomes the curvature. I stand corrected.
Posted By: Reyn

Re: Legal Shooting light - 11/02/19 02:14 PM

Who sets the "official" sunset time if it's off by minutes depending on location?. I know official time is based on a standard but Central time zone covers a wide area and multiple states so sunrise and sunset times are more area specific. Especially when using it to set law. One side of Alabama has several minutes extra based on a universal time for the state.

And im playing devils advocate here. I'm not that concerned but someone somewhere will think about it.

Re: Legal Shooting light - 11/02/19 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Reyn

Who sets the "official" sunset time if it's off by minutes depending on location?. I know official time is based on a standard but Central time zone covers a wide area and multiple states so sunrise and sunset times are more area specific. Especially when using it to set law. One side of Alabama has several minutes extra based on a universal time for the state.

And im playing devils advocate here. I'm not that concerned but someone somewhere will think about it.
Good question, and how is the time of the shot documented unless it’s recorded?
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Legal Shooting light - 11/05/19 02:49 AM

I know when I was younger and duck hunting in SC they were hardcore serious about shooting time. The had maps that broke the state down into miniature time zones. Instead of an hour, it broke it down 4 minutes at a time. They would bust people almost to the second for shooting before legal time. It was funny to stare at your watch and then hear guns go off all over the lake from people waiting to shoot birds on the water. All synchronized. if you heard a lone shot 30 seconds early, you would hear a game warden boat motor crank up right after.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Legal Shooting light - 11/05/19 12:59 PM

when I worked duck hunting I might give a warning for 0-9 minutes late, only wrote tickets for 10 minutes late. And 90% of ten minute late shooters would shoot till slam dark anyway. Thats the ones I targeted.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM