Aldeer.com

huntings no longer a sport

Posted By: scrape

huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 12:44 AM

well yesterday around 4:30 was the first time I ever poured a bag of corn on the ground. It was in an area where I hardly ever see deer though ive hunted it alot. I figuered it would take weeks for a deer to find it, and by then one of the kids could shoot it during gun season. well after making a bunch of racket I climbed a tree. about 30 yards and out of sight of the pile. well within 30 minutes an 8 pointer was wandering all around sniffing, well he leaves to go tell the other deer about the corn and comes back an hour later with a whole herd of deer. so now deer are sniffing around everywhere for the corn pile that was meant for one of my kids to hunt. so I got deer to the left and to the right and center, and all I can think is what would chuck sykes do. so I put an arrow through the closest nursing doe. kindof bittersweet, Iam glad I got the meat, but it was too easy and was the farthest thing from giving a sporting chance. whats next for alabama, 2 week seasons or maybe trapping deer. On the bright side the doe had a lung cancer tumor the size of a baseball, and would probably be dead before long.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 12:52 AM

You know you don’t have to hunt over corn right ?
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 12:54 AM

Or let your kids do it?
Posted By: daylate

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 12:57 AM

That corn must have magic dust sprinkled on it

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 01:02 AM

I know, I thought I would expirement with it. and found that it pretty much works instantly. Its kindof suddle how I came to this point of shooting a deer by aid of corn. but first chuck said that we need to buy the baiting license as insurance, then Iam buying hay and think about the permit i bought and buy a bag of corn too. then the bag was for the kids and next thing I know Iam shooting a deer by aid of corn with two hours of dumping it.
Posted By: jb20

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by daylate
That corn must have magic dust sprinkled on it

X100....this wont be your regular sittings unless u have a lot of deer on your place....corn helps when acorn ain't on ground round here...i don't hunt over corn but if i thought it'd help me kill a huge buck I might...just havnt been convinced on my places yet from previous summers n cams...
Posted By: blade

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 01:43 AM

I think this belongs in the fishing forum. Set the hook.
Posted By: jono23

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 01:47 AM

Was hunting ever a sport?
Posted By: Clem

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 01:51 AM

No.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by blade

Yup. Looks like he caught a few.
Posted By: Stob

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by jono23
Was hunting ever a sport?

Anything involving a ball and a score is a game.
Hunting and Fishing are Sports.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 02:48 AM

He's reeling the crank bait real strong and fast.
Posted By: oldbowhunter

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 03:07 AM

I open then sling a can of sweet corn as far as I can once I climb a tree and
get settled in.

Most of the time I haven’t got my release on my string before deer are
within 30 yards.

All corn isn’t equal.
Posted By: JustHunt

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 03:11 AM

He’s fishing. But for arguments sake. No one said u gotta hunt over corn. We won’t be doing it this year and hope we never allow it. If you can’t kill a deer in this state without baiting then it may be time for a new hobby.
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 03:22 AM

I’m more curious of how you found a place to hunt in Limestone county unless I’m reading into your location wrong.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by scrape
I know, I thought I would expirement with it. and found that it pretty much works instantly. Its kindof suddle how I came to this point of shooting a deer by aid of corn. but first chuck said that we need to buy the baiting license as insurance, then Iam buying hay and think about the permit i bought and buy a bag of corn too. then the bag was for the kids and next thing I know Iam shooting a deer by aid of corn with two hours of dumping it.

I would have gotten down if it took 2 hours. I have hunted on places where you just leave the bag below your stand and try to climb the ladder before the deer get on the corn.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by NSDQ160
I’m more curious of how you found a place to hunt in Limestone county unless I’m reading into your location wrong.

It’s not too hard. Just gotta know the right folks.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 04:07 AM

Its like candy to them scrape....Just get a Jacks large cup and sprinkle it out daily.....Kinda sad really.... frown

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

noway everybit is the truth. Ive refused to bait at all till I put that out yesterday. I didn't feel right doing it. and probably won't do it again (unless I get disabled). but the sport of hunting in alabama, as we have known it, has ended. there is no way the deer population will be anything significant in a few years. when its that easy. but its too late now all the legislatures have bought their corn feeders and can brag about their hunts. way too easy. I wouldn't even call it hunting. absolutely no skill involved. I literally felt nothing from the experience other than a little shame.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

noway everybit is the truth. Ive refused to bait at all till I put that out yesterday. I didn't feel right doing it. and probably won't do it again (unless I get disabled). but the sport of hunting in alabama, as we have known it, has ended. there is no way the deer population will be anything significant in a few years. when its that easy. but its too late now all the legislatures have bought their corn feeders and can brag about their hunts. way too easy. I wouldn't even call it hunting. absolutely no skill involved. I literally felt nothing from the experience other than a little shame.

Hows it any different than planting a green field and sitting in a fort with a high powered rifle capable of killing something at 500yds?

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 05:08 AM

well that takes work, and deer don't come running in herds 30mins after you put out the seed. Go to skyline and hunt their greenfields and youll see what I mean. shoot I couldn't even scare the deer away from the corn when I was hauling out the dead one 80yards away.
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 06:35 AM

1970, graduated from college and wound up in North Georgia and met some guys into bow hunting. Bought my first recurve and fabricated a hanging stand that you reached up and fastened to the tree from the ground. Had killed a good many deer dog hunting and still hunting but this was wayyyyyyy different. It was up close and personal! Coming back to bama I still hunted with the recurve, getting into an area I knew had deer and easing along at a snails pace. It worked, I missed a lot but I killed some. Didn’t care for the tree climbing and never used foodplots. Many of today’s hunters have never experienced that type of hunting and while we can say you don’t have to hunt over corn, many will and will miss out on the challenge of NOT using it. I “graduated”;from still hunting with a recurve to climbing with a compound and killing was much easier, but not as satisfying. Nowadays I can’t pull either my recurves or compound because of RA and a ground blind on a cold day even with a propane heater is pretty nice, just happy to be able to be out there. And really, that’s what counts irregardless of how we legally hunt; being happy to just be out there.

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 08:16 AM

thanks for sharing Turkeyboy, that comes from the heart, and thats really what its all about.
Posted By: jmj120

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 11:57 AM

You think that corn works good you should try Clorox.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 12:28 PM

You must have some stupid deer and lots of them. Mine are sporadic coming to corn and sure bucks come but normally that night or the next day rarely right after I put it out.
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Originally Posted by NSDQ160

It’s not too hard. Just gotta know the right folks.

Man.... I’ve tried and tried. Got pretty close to getting permission on the Balch farms in East Limestone but never came to fruition. I’ve lived here for 14 years now and talked with Menefees, Peppers, Balchs, Cannons, Pryors, Blacks and while I made friends and never got any bad experience I never got permission or even an opportunity to lease.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 01:45 PM

Congratulations! The corn gave you a good clean humane shot and you have a big doe for the freezer. If I was closer by I would see if I could get an invite to put one in my freezer. It is really fun just to sit back and watch deer and a feeder would be a good option for the future if you haven't thought about it.

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 03:21 PM

Just put your magic corn out and hide your Creedmor about 1000 yards away. Then go back and collect the meat. Deer in Alabama surely have never seen corn til now right?
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 06:47 PM

and all I can think is what would chuck sykes do. so I put an arrow through the closest nursing doe.

Thanks for the laugh
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 08:20 PM

"I got a deer, home in a pen,
Corn to feed him on,
All I need is a pretty little girl,
To feed him when I'm gone."

A gold star to anyone who can identify the lyrics.

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by deerhunt1988
and all I can think is what would chuck sykes do. so I put an arrow through the closest nursing doe.

Thanks for the laugh
ok the deer did turn out to be nursing, but I didn't really think what would chuck do. he didn't want the baiting law, but him saying we should buy the permit as an insurance policy, did persuade me to buy one. I hunt with a friend in woodville that feeds year round.

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/19/19 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by outdoors1
Congratulations! The corn gave you a good clean humane shot and you have a big doe for the freezer. If I was closer by I would see if I could get an invite to put one in my freezer. It is really fun just to sit back and watch deer and a feeder would be a good option for the future if you haven't thought about it.
thats true it was easy, and Iam grateful for the meat, they just didn't have a sporting chance or I wouldv'e shot the 8pointer, instead I just went for the better meat.
Posted By: G/H

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/20/19 01:59 AM

I poured out a plastic canister( one for coffee) mixed with rice bran and corn. Had a spike come in and about ate the whole pile up. Two does that I saw never came to the pile. It did feel weird sitting over bait and hunting.
Posted By: Shhwing

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/20/19 02:16 AM

I like to climb my stand with the bag of corn and just toss it out in front of me from the stand. kinda like feeding catfish feed. Them deer love to jump and fight over which kernel they get.
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/20/19 02:23 AM

I shake my bag of corn the whole way to the stand to let them know dinner is ready.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/20/19 02:55 AM

By next year the public land bucks will be rubbin the mirrors off your truck anxious for feed. Better get an old beater truck.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/20/19 06:07 PM

Baiting is for the suckas.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/20/19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

Corn to feed him on,

Mark Baker from Montana?
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/20/19 11:06 PM

Corn to feed him on,

Bake 'em biscuits, baby
Bake 'em good and brown
When you get them biscuits baked
We're Alabama bound

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/21/19 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by swamp_fever2002

Corn to feed him on,

Bake 'em biscuits, baby
Bake 'em good and brown
We're Alabama bound

You win the prize!
Posted By: James

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/21/19 01:45 PM

Corn to feed him on,

Bake 'em biscuits, baby
Bake 'em good and brown
We're Alabama bound

You win the prize!

It's a Pig not a Deer (I'm sure you knew that) 😀
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/21/19 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by 87dixieboy
I shake my bag of corn the whole way to the stand to let them know dinner is ready.

lol

forget Bottomland, below is what's going to over-take all camo sales:

[Linked Image]

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/21/19 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

lol

[Linked Image]

Is that considered bait?
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/21/19 06:11 PM

lol

[Linked Image]

Is that considered bait?

might fall under the $15 scent rule
Posted By: jmudler

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/21/19 08:54 PM

Wait till you try a feeder. That spinning sounds really turns them on.
Posted By: treemydog

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/22/19 12:06 AM

I grew up in NC where baiting was legal ever since I can remember. If it destroys deer populations NC hunters would have been out of deer to hunt/kill by December 18th 1988.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/22/19 01:08 AM

lol

[Linked Image]

Is that considered bait?

Yes. Jail bait. 😀

Re: huntings no longer a sport - 10/22/19 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by James

Corn to feed him on,

Bake 'em biscuits, baby
Bake 'em good and brown
We're Alabama bound

You win the prize!

It's a Pig not a Deer (I'm sure you knew that) 😀

Who still raises pigs? I was just updating an old song. smile
© 2024 ALDEER.COM