Aldeer.com

Bowhunting from the ground

Posted By: USMC4910

Bowhunting from the ground - 10/14/19 12:52 PM

Do any of y’all bowhunt from the ground without a ground blind? I’m thinking about trying it this year in some places that are steep hardwood hollers where if I used a climber I would be 150’ from the bottom of the holler. I’m thinking about making a little nature blind. Also thinking about doing it in some places where there aren’t any trees big enough to get a climber or lock on in them like some pine thickets looking down old logging roads. Let me know if y’all have done it and any advice y’all have. I already plan to hunt the wind and sit really still. I’ve looked at several places that I think this will work really well. It will be really fun and challenging to get eye level with them. Thanks for y’alls help.
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/14/19 01:02 PM

Yes I started about 5 years ago. I feel more mobile if I need to adjust to deer movement. If there isn’t any brush to hide in I try to find a big tree and clear out all the leaves around it in case I need to move around the tree

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/14/19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fullthrottle
Yes I started about 5 years ago. I feel more mobile if I need to adjust to deer movement. If there isn’t any brush to hide in I try to find a big tree and clear out all the leaves around it in case I need to move around the tree

Do you take a stool or some kind of seat to get you up off the ground?
Posted By: jb20

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/14/19 01:53 PM

Been doing it for 15 years I rarely climb anymore. Be drawn n ready sometimes I draw on squirrels not knowing what it is yet. Also draw when U get set up and aim all around. Last year I was sitting beside a fallen tree about waste high and tried drawing on small buck and couldn't, I had to reposition which ain't easy when a deer is 20 yards away luckily I killed him anyway...its fun but not easy I've killed 10 or 12 from ground no big bucks yet
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/14/19 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by USMC4910
Originally Posted by Fullthrottle

Do you take a stool or some kind of seat to get you up off the ground?

Yes. I got a little fold up three legged seat I take but hardly ever sit in it. I have never been the type to carry a back pack of fanny pack. If it want fit in my pocket I don’t take it. Being mobile and stealthy is the whole part of hunting from the ground
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/14/19 02:16 PM

Yeah I feel better off without a ground blind. IMO your better off if you can conceal yourself some what with natural cover than a GB. The few times Ive tried a GB in new places it seemed like the deer instantly knew it was there and out of place.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/14/19 02:58 PM

It aint hard..git down wind in front of somethin to bust up your outline...certain situations its better to be on the ground...just try to keep what you killin in front of you..or make dang sire they cant see you from behind...ill be on the ground tomorrow afternoon.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/14/19 03:47 PM

Tried it for a few days in Texas last season. It was fun but really challenging hunting. Where we were was either wide open huge coastal fields, or THICK mesquite. We saw plenty of deer and some nice antlers but they were either hundreds of yards away or you're trying to adjust and draw and shoot within 15'.
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/14/19 06:58 PM

My first 50 were killed from the ground with my recurves. Two techniques are to slowly still hunt an edge, Timber to field or cutover to mature woods.Also hollows with morning and evening trails, using the thermals. Working into the wind always. Find a scrap line and move slowly. A lot of my shots were 5-10 yards using natural scent covers and leafy camo. Enjoy!
Posted By: AsianThunder

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/14/19 11:20 PM

I'll be trying this year too. Good luck to you, fellow Devil. I plan on going without a blind and also using a Ghost Blind sometimes.

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/15/19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by AsianThunder
I'll be trying this year too. Good luck to you, fellow Devil. I plan on going without a blind and also using a Ghost Blind sometimes.

Thanks brother. I’m going to be getting a good leaf suit to help break up my silhouette. Good luck to you too Marine!
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/15/19 12:26 AM

Just get in a blown down tree top or something. It's really easier than hunting out of a tree stand imo. Killed plenty from the ground
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/15/19 12:55 AM

In Illinois deer are scared to death of a ground blind.
Posted By: AsianThunder

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/15/19 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by USMC4910
Originally Posted by AsianThunder

Thanks brother. I’m going to be getting a good leaf suit to help break up my silhouette. Good luck to you too Marine!

I picked up a decent ghille suit from Costco for like $39 a few months ago.
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/15/19 04:30 AM

Get you a millinium m300 tree seat
A 3 arm realtree bow hanger and
Have bow on left front at hand high
For motionless grab ,, hook up release
And slow draw and get ready for some
Heart Pumping up close action !
Posted By: MPbow_man

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/15/19 04:45 AM

I started about two years ago. I like it a lot more because of what others are saying, mobility. I’ve seen way more deer but have only killed one on the ground. So definitely harder but I’ll keep at it. Always learning something.
Posted By: Mossy454

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/15/19 01:15 PM

I've hunted from the ground only, most of my life. I've been using one those roll up burlap type camo blinds the last few years, but they are kind of a pain sometimes. More stuff to haul in and set up, and haul out. I agree with what several have said, I like being mobile. They have those tree seats. I've tried that only once. I didn't care for it myself. But you might. I usually bring a good, thick, quite cushion to sit on. I keep a thick garbage bag in my pack to put under it if the ground is wet. It can be noisy so I'm still working on that problem. My biggest problem is being still. Still working on that too. In my opinion, you will become more "in tune" with the wind direction. I get nervous every time I feel a direction change. Even in the slightest wind. This year, I'm gonna try carrying the roll up blind less. Once I put that blind up, it cuts down on my mobility, because I sure don't want to move it.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/15/19 02:33 PM

Ground hunting makes the challenge a little more in the deers favor if you can't find a place to hide. I would climb if possible it gives you more chances of not being seen if the deer come from unknown directions. Climbing can be safer for shooting purposes if there is a lot of people in the woods. The problem with either is the expected area needs to be cleared prior to hunting if possible to create a clean shot and some shots that could have been made from a tree may not be made from the ground. It seems to be hunting either way even more hard usually in the deers favor on pressured land. Have fun and do which is seems the best for the spot.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/15/19 02:47 PM

i plan to try this for this season, as well -- i've shot plenty from the ground (no blind) with a gun, but intend to challenge myself this year w/my bow ...
Posted By: Hogwallop

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/16/19 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mossy454
I've hunted from the ground only, most of my life. I've been using one those roll up burlap type camo blinds the last few years, but they are kind of a pain sometimes. More stuff to haul in and set up, and haul out. I agree with what several have said, I like being mobile. They have those tree seats. I've tried that only once. I didn't care for it myself. But you might. I usually bring a good, thick, quite cushion to sit on. I keep a thick garbage bag in my pack to put under it if the ground is wet. It can be noisy so I'm still working on that problem. My biggest problem is being still. Still working on that too. In my opinion, you will become more "in tune" with the wind direction. I get nervous every time I feel a direction change. Even in the slightest wind. This year, I'm gonna try carrying the roll up blind less. Once I put that blind up, it cuts down on my mobility, because I sure don't want to move it.

Have you seen the folding turkey stools? I noticed them for the first time this year. Pretty small and lightweight fits in my back pack. It’s comfortable just sitting against a tree. Would solve the wet ground \ noise problem I would guess.

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/17/19 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hogwallop
Originally Posted by Mossy454

Have you seen the folding turkey stools? I noticed them for the first time this year. Pretty small and lightweight fits in my back pack. It’s comfortable just sitting against a tree. Would solve the wet ground \ noise problem I would guess.

Yep, I’ve seen them. I’ve thought about getting one of the turkey hunting chairs or a tree seat. I like the Millennium tree seat and I like the one Hawk makes that is more of a stool seat and it angles so you can use it anywhere really.
Posted By: Acorn

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/17/19 01:02 PM

Heading to Iowa in a couple weeks to hunt a buddies farm. I've always been a climber guy, and never done hang and hunts with lock ons. There are a bunch of scattered cedars throughout. I like the idea of being flexible and hunting on the ground. Any good tips for blending into cedars without doing more than a little trimming?
Posted By: Semo

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/17/19 01:14 PM

I like hunting from the ground, but it really wears me out. I can only take 2 hours at a time. but I stay ready with arrow nocked and bow in my hand standing. maybe if it is real dry I'll try sitting, but otherwise deer always seem to show up unannounced over the wrong shoulder.

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/17/19 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Semo
I like hunting from the ground, but it really wears me out. I can only take 2 hours at a time. but I stay ready with arrow nocked and bow in my hand standing. maybe if it is real dry I'll try sitting, but otherwise deer always seem to show up unannounced over the wrong shoulder.

I've had look rifle hunting on the ground, but it's much easier to be in position vs bow hunting.

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/17/19 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Acorn
Heading to Iowa in a couple weeks to hunt a buddies farm. I've always been a climber guy, and never done hang and hunts with lock ons. There are a bunch of scattered cedars throughout. I like the idea of being flexible and hunting on the ground. Any good tips for blending into cedars without doing more than a little trimming?

we have a lot of cedars where i hunt, and i hunt in them a lot -- great for scent control, they're sparse enough to see what's coming, and they usually have low-hanging limbs that you can blend right in with ... a lot of times, i'll create a natural ground blind & set a chair behind limbs & brush -- enough to cover my legs/mid section up ... just get tucked in enough so you're blending in w/the limbs of the tree & not poking out from it, ya know ...

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/17/19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

we have a lot of cedars where i hunt, and i hunt in them a lot -- great for scent control, they're sparse enough to see what's coming, and they usually have low-hanging limbs that you can blend right in with ... a lot of times, i'll create a natural ground blind & set a chair behind limbs & brush -- enough to cover my legs/mid section up ... just get tucked in enough so you're blending in w/the limbs of the tree & not poking out from it, ya know ...

Do you sit in front of or behind the tree?
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/17/19 01:53 PM

millennium tree seat and primos shooting sticks. With that combo I basically hunt anywhere I want. My knees are so shot from the Army I can't use a climber and I only use our ladder stands through gun season. I always find a blow down or make a ground blind with limbs.... just enough to break up my outline. Anything too egregious and the deer notice it immediately. Always try to be above their line of sight.

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/17/19 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

Do you sit in front of or behind the tree?

in front of it, among the low hanging limbs -- facing the path deer normally take around the tree ... i have cedars along fence rows and cedars out in the open; just observe & it'll be obvious how you need to setup
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Bowhunting from the ground - 10/17/19 03:36 PM

AsianThunder...check your PM's
© 2024 ALDEER.COM