Aldeer.com

Cattle pastures....

Posted By: booner

Cattle pastures.... - 10/11/19 11:53 PM

Just recently acquired permission to a 1400 acre lease that for the most part is about 900 acres of pasture. This style of hunting goes against anything and everything that I have ever done but it has produced many big bucks over the yrs. There are fence rows, pinch points, and funnels literally everywhere. On top of that, there are multiple little woodlots ranging anywhere between 3-250 acres scattered throughout. The farmer bushhogs every other year, with this year being an off year for mowing and I bump deer almost every time I enter the pasture. I've also been running cameras for the last few weeks and every good buck is in the pasture edges and not in the larger wood blocks. Y'all got any tips for this type of hunting?
Posted By: sanderson

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/11/19 11:58 PM

Sounds like it might be a good morning spot
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 12:00 AM

Use the wind and hunt the funnels and edges
I grew up hunting farm land like that and it can be a pain to get it all figured out but when you do it's great hunting
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 12:02 AM

box stand of some kind of tripod and hunt the edges and watch the pastures. when turning on roads and down my drive way we see deer in open pastures.

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 12:03 AM

evening hunts

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 12:03 AM

box stand of some kind of tripod and hunt the edges and watch the pastures. when turning on roads and down my drive way we see deer in open pastures.
Posted By: pcola4

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 12:13 AM

Hunted a place like that in Furman. You will see more good bucks along the edge of the fields and cutting the corners than you will in the woods. If you get a good rut it will be absolutely nuts. Deer will be everywhere in those fields. Good luck sir!
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 12:13 AM

My experience hunting around cows,deer tolerate them in the open pastures, but will not in the woods. When the white oaks are dropping acorns the cows camp out under them sucking them up as fast as they fall. YMMV
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 12:14 AM

Get up high on a corner where you can see two edges. Or just get high as you can stand where you can see the most.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 12:14 AM

Screw in steps up a tall oak tree overlooking the pasture and as many pinch points as possible. Don't install a box stand now or tripod unless you want the deer to avoid you like the plague.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 12:15 AM

Entry is going to be critical for you.
I’ve boogered up pasture and CRP deer and not even known I’d boogered them up.
They feel very safe in tall grass but you can bump them so easily.
If there’s a ditch with not much water in it, it can be gold as far as getting in undetected.
I figured that out too late to help me. Maybe it will help you.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 12:17 AM

Find the thick stuff
Posted By: jb20

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 12:34 AM

Welcome to my world of hunting...ive had best luck using wind and edges...u risk to much entering a 20-40 acre patch of woods round here cuz wind swirls or the bucks r up high and see u way before u see them...set up on wood line in a good spot till rut then set way off wood line in field
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 02:45 AM

Same as anywhere else. They bed in a thicket and travel to food. You figure out the two and get in the middle. Hunt the wind and keep the pressure as low as possible.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 02:57 AM

Corn
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 03:02 AM

Practice shooting at 300+ yards.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin

Out of the truck window.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Bunny

Out of the truck window.

Yes

One of the absolute best places I've ever hunted was just outside Auburn. That was nearly 30 years ago. It was a 200 acre horse farm. There were large water oaks in the pastures and deer would pour out of the surrounding woods to feed in the afternoons. I've saw as many as 67 deer in one afternoon on that farm. I had 3 8 points and a 10 point at 30 yards under a tree one afternoon while bow hunting and couldn't get a shot on any of them. One of them would look at me while the other 3 ate acorns. I killed my first deer with a bow the next afternoon. A basket racked 8. If I had known ANYTHING about hunting back then I could have killed some fine, fine bucks the two years that I got to hunt that place.
Posted By: therealhojo

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 06:37 PM

Borrow the farmers truck. The deer will pay it no attention.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 08:44 PM

Hunt from the truck or a tractor in the am, evening on field edge, but when it starts to get cold I'd slowly work my stand depper in the timber maybe 50-100 yrds per hunt till I found the sweet spot.
Posted By: Overland

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/12/19 08:57 PM

I hunt two different properties with active cattle operations. I'll echo what everyone else said, it can be great hunting. Deer don't love cows, but they will tolerate them. Hunt the edges or set up shooting house, blind in the middle of open ground where you can watch the edges, crossing points, or low areas. Have seen deer cross open ground without a care in the world. Once they get in the open and can see 360, they seem to be at ease. Low spots, like creeks and ditches across an open pasture serve as travel routes and deer will bed in those, especially if there is any cover. I've hunted from farm equipment and the deer never paid it any attention. As somebody said, they pay zero attention to the farmer's truck, even it he's pulling an empty hay trailer with metal banging around. Cold mornings after the frost burns off, especially during the rut are great times to hunt a pasture.

Once watched a huge 10 point run a doe through a group of cows. Could never get a shot on him without possibly hitting a cow so I never pulled the trigger. Most important rule when hunting an active cow pasture. ALWAYS CLOSE AND SECURE EVERY GATE, every single time you go through one...ALWAYS.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/13/19 02:32 AM

Lol yeap or further
Posted By: Alagator

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/13/19 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie

Lol yeap or further

Before I moved to Oregon, I had access to some hayfields in Bullock County, some with shots over 600 yards. I would hunt them from ground blinds set up to watch along the edges. To prepare, I made a life sized deer silhouette from heavy cardboard, set it up and shot at it from the blind, sitting on a stool and shooting over crossed sticks. I did not put any bullseye on the target, just shot for the shoulder or behind. From that experience I decided that 300 yards was my practical limit. Whenever I set up to hunt, I would range the treelines and pick landmarks that would keep my shots inside 300 yards. I will add this advice--if you shoot one that doesn't drop, try to keep focused on where it ran back into the woods, so you have some idea on where to start looking for blood.
Posted By: Possum Hunter

Re: Cattle pastures.... - 10/15/19 12:57 AM

Some solid advice here, I am currently hunting a farm with cattle also. And like said above the cows will suck up all your acorns quick and bed up under the better trees. I have messed up abunch so I can tell you from experience, entrance is key! You can get away with a lot more as far a scent goes. To start out you need to kind of get maybe in between 2 fields that you can see along ways, just hunt and observe. Find where the deer travel the most, then ease to where you want. Have multiple stands for different variables. Something I didn’t do until lately, you must find their main thicket/bedding area. Now they will bed up in the sage or thick waste high patches of grass as temps start dropping for mid day sunning. But you gotta find their core location. Where you think they might live and nothing can bother them. Also check the fences for where the deer enter and exit the land does and bucks typically don’t use the same spot. And after a good rain is usually easy to locate where they’ve been using. A lot of does will go under the fence. And bucks are gonna jump it where it’s not as high maybe where a strand or two of bob wire is broken or sagging.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM