Aldeer.com

Acorns for sprouting

Posted By: HHSyelper

Acorns for sprouting - 09/23/19 05:04 PM

Last year someone kindly sent me a few swamp white oaks (bark of white oak, leaves similar to a mountain chestnut oak). I was only able to get one to sprout. If anyone has access to any acorns this year, I would like to get a dozen or so to try and introduce them to our farm. Thanks in Advance for any help.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/23/19 05:05 PM

Swamp chestnut oak.

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/23/19 05:34 PM

Are these good for deer? I know the mountain chestnuts are not highly desired.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/23/19 05:49 PM

They love them, but only grow in certain area's. I've never seen these where mountain oaks grow.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/23/19 05:53 PM

If you plant them your grandchildren will get to enjoy the first acorn crop.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/23/19 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
If you plant them your grandchildren will get to enjoy the first acorn crop.

You may be surprised, I planted some Burr Oak seedlings which have produced at 7-8 years old. I've also.heard of some white oaks doing similar. Each tree is an individual and there are no guaranteed times on producing acorns. Keeping competition down helps a lot.

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/23/19 06:03 PM

not sure on production age, but the one that sprouted is only a couple of inches shorter than a chestnut that I have in a pot right beside it. I've got some good low areas in creek and river bottoms that I how they can survive.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/23/19 06:41 PM

They prefer well drained alluvial soils(in bottomlands). THE most preferred acorn of deer. They will also surprise you how fast they’ll produce acorns on the right site.

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/23/19 06:48 PM

Thanks Matt, now if I can just find some acorns to sprout.
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/23/19 08:00 PM

One of my favorite bow lock ons is right next to a giant old swamp chestnut oak. I've walked up on numerous critters munching on em. Stuck many a doe eating under it. Its loaded every year. I did some research on them,and recall it said it usually takes 20-30 years to start producing acorns. This was taken last month
[Linked Image]
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/23/19 11:55 PM

There's some I know of that were chest high when Ivan came through. They had their first decent drop last year. 20 years is about right.

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/24/19 04:55 PM

I've got plenty of sawtooth acorns if anyone wants some. If anyone has any swamp chestnuts, I would greatly appreciate some. Thanks

Re: Acorns for sprouting - 09/27/19 01:43 PM

ttt
© 2024 ALDEER.COM