Aldeer.com

Public land scouting video

Posted By: Southwood7

Public land scouting video - 09/19/19 07:46 PM

As requested a public land boots on the ground scouting vid is live on the channel. IMO this is the best video yet and is very informative and practical. . I scouted two spots that I’ll hunt in October and find old rubs, trails, beds etc...
Thank y’all for watching and please subscribe if you haven’t 👍🏻

Posted By: top cat

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/19/19 08:21 PM

thumbup
Posted By: TATUM

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/19/19 08:33 PM

Peel Creek...maybe
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/19/19 09:05 PM

Nice work. You should get some good pics in that creek bed. Good luck!!

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/19/19 09:56 PM

I meant to say this in my original post but I forgot, until Tatum reminded me 😀
I just want to say that I hunt several different tracts of public and will never say publicly where I’m hunting or scouting and I’ll edit out any landmarks or road signs that could give obvious clues out of respect for other public land hunters and myself. I have said publicly before where I’ve killed deer and learned my lesson. With that being said, y’all can guess all you want and you won’t get anything out of me 😀
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/19/19 11:49 PM

Loved it, thanks for sharing!

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/20/19 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by NWALJM
Loved it, thanks for sharing!

Thanks bud!
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/20/19 01:24 AM

If you were to hunt one of those trails/oaks in that really steep and narrow SMZ, would you climb a tree at the top of the valley (right on edge of pines)? Seems tough with swirling wind...
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/20/19 01:44 AM

Mighty fine buddy! Stomping the woods in this heat is rough on a fella! Keep em coming!
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/20/19 01:46 AM

Great video southwood! That was a large bed.

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/20/19 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Joe4majors
If you were to hunt one of those trails/oaks in that really steep and narrow SMZ, would you climb a tree at the top of the valley (right on edge of pines)? Seems tough with swirling wind...

Joe, I’d rather be towards the top than down in the bottom for sure, especially in the morning because of the thermals. Most likely I’d climb a tree close to the edge of those pines on the hardwood finger. I think the biggest challenge in that first spot is getting in their relatively quiet.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/20/19 02:03 AM

The best bow buck I ever killed on public land was in an area just like you were in Southwood. 115" 9pt. Bedding all around, there was a head of a creek or actually a deep ditch that deer didn't really want to cross if they didn't have to. They opted to walk around the ditch on the level side. There were rubs just like what you showed in there from the previous year. I'd sho nuff be hunting that spot. Good video again bud. I am planning on getting me a few cameras and attempting to film some hunts this season. What editing software do you use?

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/20/19 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
Mighty fine buddy! Stomping the woods in this heat is rough on a fella! Keep em coming!

Thank you buddy! It was too hot for sure. I was DONE 😂

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/20/19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by slippinlipjr
The best bow buck I ever killed on public land was in an area just like you were in Southwood. 115" 9pt. Bedding all around, there was a head of a creek or actually a deep ditch that deer didn't really want to cross if they didn't have to. They opted to walk around the ditch on the level side. There were rubs just like what you showed in there from the previous year. I'd sho nuff be hunting that spot. Good video again bud. I am planning on getting me a few cameras and attempting to film some hunts this season. What editing software do you use?

Thank slippin! Right now I’m using IMovie but I imagine I’ll need to graduate to some more advanced editing software when I start filming deer hunts with different angles and cameras.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/21/19 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

Originally Posted by Joe4majors

Joe, I’d rather be towards the top than down in the bottom for sure, especially in the morning because of the thermals. Most likely I’d climb a tree close to the edge of those pines on the hardwood finger. I think the biggest challenge in that first spot is getting in their relatively quiet.

Thats my biggest problem where I hunt is getting where I need to be undetected... I know exactly where bucks bed at a certain spot and I realize why now they smart
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/21/19 02:14 AM

Best one yet! I assume your looking for timber or terrain transition areas when aerial scouting. Anyone can find a bottom or smz surrounded by pines. Anything specific your looking for when you find buck sign?

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/21/19 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by jlbuc10
Best one yet! I assume your looking for timber or terrain transition areas when aerial scouting. Anyone can find a bottom or smz surrounded by pines. Anything specific your looking for when you find buck sign?

At the first spot the “main” hardwood bottom is roughly 1000 yards long and it only has two fingers that break off from it. Deer are going to enter that hardwood bottom to feed on acorns and cross it but where? When map scouting, the hardwood finger seemed like the most likely place. The finger is basically a saddle. I figured it would be a natural travel corridor for deer that are bedding in the pines. 100 yards in either direction of the saddle and the terrain gets tough on a billy goat. One thing I didn’t mention in the video is that after the acorns are gone I’ll basically abandon those SMZs. That’ll be another video for later on 😀
Posted By: Yogi

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/21/19 10:25 PM

Always look forward to these, thanks
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/21/19 10:57 PM

Great video Southwood. Always enjoy.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/21/19 11:32 PM

I have found the bucks use the ridges to enter rather than the bottoms.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Public land scouting video - 09/22/19 11:36 PM

I finally got a chance to watch your videos this afternoon. Great job on an good topic that everyone wants to know more about. When people start their preseason scouting and can't get good bucks on camera they assume their aren't any bucks there. But deer just don't move much in the summer or late summer for lots of reason. They have plenty of food and know where the water is and have no pressure so they just won't move. I have had cameras running on feeders for 2 months on 400 acres and only had one bachelor group. My acorns started dropping last week and now I have 4 bachelor groups. This is why your video showing scouting these hard wood bottoms for trails and food is so important. I am still surprised how many bow hunters can't ID a white oak at a 100 yards much less standing next to one. You need to make a video on how to ID different oaks before the season starts. Your video on in season scouting showing that hunting pressure overrides the need for a foods source has change their pattern again was good and shows a need to be active during the season. I hunted public land for the first time last year and studied my maps and went in and setup and had does using the trail I was on that afternoon just no bucks. My biggest problem with public land is not a lot of options and not understanding all the rules. I hunted Tuskegee and call the lady and she said National Forest didn't have any special rules just get off the road 150 yards and follow state laws. Also none of my buddies will hunt public land because of the bad rap that only aholes hunt public land. At my age and being single it's not a good idea to hunt without a partner to keep up with me. If I have an accident no one will miss me until I don't show up for work and then it would take forever to find me. I use the Virtual Sign In Board on the farm so even if I hunt by myself at 9:00 everyone knows if I haven't checked out and they know where I'm at. I notice it looks like you are doing your scouting and making these videos by yourself. Maybe in your next video you could talk a little about the need to have a plan in case something happened to you while you are on public land. Safety first.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM