Aldeer.com

Tennessee Velvet Hunt

Posted By: Blessed 1

Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/23/19 07:53 PM

Anyone else going to the Tennessee hunt this weekend? About to head out myself
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/23/19 08:00 PM

Might be a little cooler in Tennessee, but this ain't hunting weather, I've been working on a shooting house today and had to quit, it's too damn hot
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/23/19 08:02 PM

rolleyesrain and cloud cover has the temp down to 88...
Posted By: inatree

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/23/19 09:32 PM

Grew up sweating my azz off hunting in Lewis and Muary county. Wish I was young enough to do it again.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/23/19 09:33 PM

I know several folks sitting up a tree right no. No thanks

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/23/19 09:35 PM

Must be present to win šŸ§
Posted By: Uokman2014

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/23/19 10:05 PM

Setting an early season for "velvet bucks" is one of the dumbest things TWRA has done in a while - in my opinion.

For those that want a fuzzy antlered buck - have fun and good luck. Not my cup-of-tea...
Posted By: slick_trick

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 12:04 PM

Iā€™m in a tree now. Mostly because Iā€™ve got a baby coming in Nov and my season will be short enough as it is. Itā€™s hot, gnats buzzing me. Honestly, Iā€™ll never do it again.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 01:35 PM

Buddy with property asked me to go and I laughed at him saying absolutely not...he and I both chuckled and both have no desire to kill a velvet buck nor sit in this heat lol
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 02:16 PM

Iā€™d love to go! Think I would prefer to go in the mornings, but Iā€™m prob moving to central Florida soon and need to get used to hunting in the heat. Especially since the property Iā€™ll have access to has a September rut.
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gobble4me757
Buddy with property asked me to go and I laughed at him saying absolutely not...he and I both chuckled and both have no desire to kill a velvet buck nor sit in this heat lol

I canā€™t imagine what area you hunt, itā€™s 9:23am here and at 69 degrees how is that soooooo hot? I donā€™t get it. With the recent rain and overcast here itā€™s just as cool as a October 15th opener
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bamabucks14
Originally Posted by Gobble4me757

I canā€™t imagine what area you hunt, itā€™s 9:23am here and at 69 degrees how is that soooooo hot? I donā€™t get it. With the recent rain and overcast here itā€™s just as cool as a October 15th opener

Didn't know it would cool down because he asked me last weekend putting stands up in the heat! lol Just don't care to kill one in velvet though personally and will have a good amount of time to hunt this year unlike years previously

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 04:28 PM

Hope to get back out there this evening myself. I would rather hunt the morning anytime.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 05:51 PM

I was up at Kelso, TN canoeing this morning and I'd been in a tree if I could. Overcast, 72 or so degrees? Sure, why not?
Posted By: Ruger7mag

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 05:54 PM

Nothing on camera big enough to go after, so I'm sitting it out.

I never understood the it's too hot, too many bugs, etc complaints about the early velvet hunt. It's probably going to be hot as hell and just as many bugs when regular archery season opens in TN.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 06:04 PM

IIRC in the late 80's/early 90's, NC bowseason started around Labor Day. The sandhills were hot, but we still went.
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 10:02 PM

Checked cameras and my turnips

Never cared for velvet covered racks anyway.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 10:20 PM

I'm waiting on 1st deer pic of the year....somebody needs to pull thru!
Posted By: Clem

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Uokman2014
Setting an early season for "velvet bucks" is one of the dumbest things TWRA has done in a while - in my opinion.

It's all about money.
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/24/19 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by jlbuc10
Iā€™d love to go! Think I would prefer to go in the mornings, but Iā€™m prob moving to central Florida soon and need to get used to hunting in the heat. Especially since the property Iā€™ll have access to has a September rut.

September rut....that HAS to suck dude
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/25/19 12:27 AM

I might hunt a single morning till it got up to about 80.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/25/19 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by DGAMBLER
Originally Posted by jlbuc10

September rut....that HAS to suck dude

If you live there in the heat you can hunt in the heat.

It's how their whitetail biology is structured and varies greatly throughout the state. In the south zone, which is Zone A down around Okeechobee, the peak rut sometimes will be the last week of July or first week of August.

Here's a map of the mean conception dates:

http://www.deerfriendly.com/deer/fl...ccurs-in-your-area-august-2-2017-florida
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/25/19 03:11 PM

I took an 8 point in velvet in alabama about 1 mile from the house 4 maybe 5 years ago on opening day not the biggest 8 point but he is shoulder mounted just because of the velvet
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/25/19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ruger7mag

I never understood the it's too hot, too many bugs, etc complaints about the early velvet hunt. It's probably going to be hot as hell and just as many bugs when regular archery season opens in TN.

biggest deer I have on the wall a 138 class 7point would have been well over 140 if left antler tip wasnt broken was killed 50 ft from one of my cameras and I never had a single picture of him
Posted By: Ruger7mag

Re: Tennessee Velvet Hunt - 08/25/19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly
Originally Posted by Ruger7mag

biggest deer I have on the wall a 138 class 7point would have been well over 140 if left antler tip wasnt broken was killed 50 ft from one of my cameras and I never had a single picture of him

What time of year did you kill that deer and what weapon?

If I'm not getting pictures or seeing a deer that I want to shoot this time of year, it's all but pointless to go. I can observe all the fields I hunt from the road or without being detected. They move after dark, I should get a picture. If they are hitting the minerals, I'll get a picture. The acorns aren't falling yet. They are still on solid summer patterns. I'm also not picking up range shifters yet. Being limited to archery equipment makes it even less likely to happen. I'll wait until the odds are more in my favor before I get after them.

© 2024 ALDEER.COM