Aldeer.com

Fair chase hunts

Posted By: sbo1971

Fair chase hunts - 06/22/19 12:55 AM

I’m looking to do a fair chase hunt next bow season that is on the lower end of the cost spectrum, any suggestions?
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/22/19 01:24 AM

Public land, diy. You choose the State that best fits your skills and what you're looking for.

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/22/19 01:41 AM

That was something else I was considering, looking at either KY, or MS. Not looking for a trophy, just something different.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/22/19 02:27 AM

Only place I’ve been so only place I can recommend. https://app.fw.ky.gov/Public_Lands_Search/detail.aspx?Kdfwr_id=132
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/22/19 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by sbo1971
That was something else I was considering, looking at either KY, or MS. Not looking for a trophy, just something different.

If you decide on MS public land, shoot me a Pm. I know a few spots.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/22/19 06:38 PM

What ever you do, don’t go out west. It’ll ruin you. grin

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/22/19 10:34 PM

Thanks everyone
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/23/19 02:45 PM

If you go anywhere, I'd go during the rut. If you have a choice. Rut hunting is night and day from regular hunting. Good luck.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/23/19 06:23 PM

MS won’t be anything different than AL. KY will be a change of pace, and if you go public land during the rut, you will see thousands.................of hunters grin

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/23/19 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by turkey247

MS won’t be anything different than AL. KY will be a change of pace, and if you go public land during the rut, you will see thousands.................of hunters grin

Lol. The one thing I am looking to do is to go to a state that has its opener prior to ours, guess I should have mentioned that to begin with.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/24/19 12:35 AM

MS opens Oct 1. I was out there in short sleeves and temps were low 80s. I wasn’t wild about dealing with a deer carcass in that heat.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/24/19 02:38 AM

Kentucky can be fun around bean fields the first few days of the season
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/24/19 12:50 PM

In south Florida the bow season starts on Aug 3, which is crazy stupid IMHO.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/24/19 02:01 PM

Central Alabama, Corps of Engineers land. Free permit, plenty of under utilized land. Several nice campgrounds available. Bow hunting only.
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/24/19 02:26 PM

Gun season in the South Carolina low country opens up on private land August 15. Public ground opens up around the state middle of Sept for now, for muzzleloader Oct. 1 with firearms season opening Oct. 10th. Plenty of public ground to hunt and lots of different terrain to hunt. The upstate is more mountainous while the lowcountry is mostly swamp bottoms, and the midlands of the state is more rolling hills. Bag limits are 2 per day and either sex tags are relatively cheap. The rut varies but the further to the coast you go the earlier the rut starts. Around Columbia the public ground I hunt typically starts showing rut sign around mid to late October.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/24/19 03:04 PM

South Carolina, Cowden Plantation.

10,000 acres of private land, inexpensive to hunt, plenty of deer.

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/24/19 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
In south Florida the bow season starts on Aug 3, which is crazy stupid IMHO.

That would be just too hot, plus with my luck I would have one of those 15 ft pythons climb up in the tree with me.

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/24/19 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by jawbone
Central Alabama, Corps of Engineers land. Free permit, plenty of under utilized land. Several nice campgrounds available. Bow hunting only.

I may try one of these places this season, looking pretty interesting.
Posted By: bama1971

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/24/19 07:38 PM

You just prefer Mississippi or Kentucky mosquitoes over Alabama? If not going for a trophy, why change from normal?
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/24/19 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by jawbone

I may try one of these places this season, looking pretty interesting.

Prairie Creek Campground is really nice and gives you access to Lowndes WMA also. I officiated football games with a couple of the guys that work for the Corps and they told me that once gun season starts very few people hunted on the Corps land because they would find somewhere to gun hunt.

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/25/19 01:12 AM

Got to thinking, what is the hunting like in the WMA around Payne lake during bow season?
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/25/19 03:26 AM

Southern Illinois. Hunt up until a couple of days before first gun season which starts Friday before our gun season.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/25/19 03:42 AM

Texas....$1500 management hunt....up to “130
Posted By: AUbowhunter1990

Re: Fair chase hunts - 06/26/19 01:46 AM

Plenty of great OTC elk, mule deer, and antelope tags out west. All public land DIY. I highly recommend the experience
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Fair chase hunts - 07/03/19 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shaw
What ever you do, don’t go out west. It’ll ruin you. grin

It sure will! Went to KS last year and was ruined. Can’t get fired up to deer hunt in AL any more!!
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Fair chase hunts - 07/03/19 04:48 PM

You can go across the state line into GA and see tons of deer now.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM