Aldeer.com

Bait law question

Posted By: modoc_333

Bait law question - 05/28/19 02:00 AM

Is there any restriction to how you bait? My FIL told me today that he thought it needed to be from a feeder but I don't think I have seen that. Can I just toss corn out?
Posted By: Out back

Re: Bait law question - 05/28/19 02:03 AM

It's only about the money... Period.
Buy the permit and bait how you please.
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: Bait law question - 05/28/19 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Out back
It's only about the money... Period.
Buy the permit and bait how you please.

Yep - pile it as high as the clouds if you want.
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Bait law question - 05/28/19 03:35 AM

That's what I thought. Thanks.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Bait law question - 05/28/19 08:46 PM

i wouldnt put it past the DCNR to add some regulations once the 2019-20 rule book comes out as of right now it doesnt matter
Posted By: James

Re: Bait law question - 05/28/19 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly
i wouldnt put it past the DCNR to add some regulations once the 2019-20 rule book comes out as of right now it doesnt matter

YUP, Gonna Be interesting to see what the CAB does
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Bait law question - 05/29/19 12:21 AM

You can bet bottom dollar it wont be a cut/dry law come hunting season. Not in bama. They'll figure out a way to screw it up and make a gray area in it somewhere.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Bait law question - 05/29/19 12:22 AM

I bet they won't allow you to just pore it out , we'll need some type of spreader or feeder. Also so far from the line
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Bait law question - 05/29/19 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by SuperSpike
You can bet bottom dollar it wont be a cut/dry law come hunting season. Not in bama. They'll figure out a way to screw it up and make a gray area in it somewhere.

probably have to use a Moultrie brand broadcaster within 50 yards of a Trophy rock brand mineral lick. Corn must be purchased in individual 50lb bags and be non exempt from livestock feed taxes. Receipt of purchase proving taxes were paid must be in possession and dated no later than 7 days prior to the date of hunt, and not show receipt of more corn than is physically present in the area of hunting. Chuckie is probably dreaming something up as I type.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Bait law question - 05/29/19 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie
I bet they won't allow you to just pore it out , we'll need some type of spreader or feeder. Also so far from the line

That’s what I was thinking as well.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Bait law question - 05/29/19 12:23 PM

That's how it is in Mississippi. It can literally be in a trough, but has to be off the ground. Which is hilarious and makes absolutely no sense. Deer eat everything else off the ground. Law doesn't even say it has to be covered so, the spoilage should be the same.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Bait law question - 05/29/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270

That's how it is in Mississippi. It can literally be in a trough, but has to be off the ground. Which is hilarious and makes absolutely no sense. Deer eat everything else off the ground. Law doesn't even say it has to be covered so, the spoilage should be the same.

Guys!
Ya'll keep on missing the point, time after time!
These laws are NOT ABOUT SENSE!
THEY ARE ABOUT MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!
The Mississippi law, for example, promotes the sale of feeders, and therefore additional sales tax.
Posted By: globe

Re: Bait law question - 06/08/19 08:05 PM

I already heard that it has to be in a feeder and rice bran wasn’t legal.
I ain’t buying nothing until I find out.
I was just sitting here trying to find this out myself.
Posted By: Ruger8point

Re: Bait law question - 06/08/19 09:14 PM

I’ll have to build one hell of a trough for a truck load of sweet potatoes
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Bait law question - 06/10/19 02:10 PM

Outback has it figured out. Also putting in some type of trough/feeder will just give the warden a reason to check you and write you a ticket. All about the money!
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Bait law question - 06/11/19 12:59 AM

If your goal is hogs then you mix corn, diesel fuel, strawberry jello mix, and let it ferment. The deer won’t eat it.

Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Bait law question - 06/11/19 02:52 AM

So is a broadcasting feeder a proper feeder since it throws the feed on the ground? Very intentionally confusing if we gotta play types of feeder roulette. There are many questions like How can attractants like mineral blocks or home made mineral sites stay illegal to hunt over yet corn is ok? What about other attractants c’mere dear, molasses, vanilla extract, powdered jello? They are food of some sort or another. What will be off limits other than deer piss?
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Bait law question - 06/11/19 03:37 AM

No where have I seen anything about the type of feeders allowed, bunch of guessing I think. It might change before the season starts, but right now nothing.

Re: Bait law question - 06/11/19 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
If your goal is hogs then you mix corn, diesel fuel, strawberry jello mix, and let it ferment. The deer won’t eat it.

Had a guy tell me to cover the corn with butter milk let it sour in buckets then pur in a hole in the ground .. Dont fill the bucket full and put a lid on it

I've never tried it . .

Re: Bait law question - 06/11/19 01:32 PM

Sour corn works great but the fuel keeps the other critters off of it for the most part. Just corn and water works but I’ve seen it mixed with Beer, Red Soda, Fish guts, you name it.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Bait law question - 06/11/19 01:55 PM

I've heard that the next thing will be what they are calling the Ultimate Management App. You will have to use the phone app to take a picture of your game and send it in BEFORE you shoot it. There will be a committee in Montgomery that will then look at your picture and decide if the animal is truly ready to be harvested, and they will text you back a thumbs up or thumbs down. It will be similar to what the SEC does in officiating college football. This is truly going to bring wildlife management into the 21st century.

There will be a short lag while the committee decides, but they don't anticipate this being a significant problem. A thumbs up will be good for 24 hours, so that should give hunters plenty of time to find their trophy again if it gets away while the hunter is waiting on a decision. They know that just like GC, some people will be against it. The Naysayers and Haters will always stand in the way of Progress, but those who really care about wildlife will quickly get on board with the new system.

I have heard that the guys with the big quail plantations are banding together to lobby for an exemption for quail hunting. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get it. Money talks, and those guys have plenty of it and don't really care about conservation anyway.

It's gonna be a great thing for AL deer hunting, and we are gonna see some whoppers killed once it gets going. If it produces bigger bucks, then it's gotta be worth whatever it costs, and the good news is that it will pay for itself by automatically charging your credit card every time you send in a picture. And there is NO LIMIT on how many pictures you can send!

I can't wait to get this started.

Edit: I forgot to point out that I don't wanna see anyone complaining about the CC fees even though you have a lifetime hunting license. You can still hunt all you want without paying a dime extra for the new program. You just can't shoot anything without getting approval and paying the fee. I thought I'd better head this off before Clem starts complaining.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Bait law question - 06/11/19 06:03 PM

I made a hog pipe out of 4" sch40 pipe. drill several 1/2" holes in it for corn to come out of. glue a 3" cap INSIDE pipe one end about 8-10" from the end. Partially fill with rocks or pebbles then glue on a cap that you attached an eyelet to so you can attach a cable or chain. Then glue on an end for a screw out cleanout so you can refill pipe. Mine was about 5' long and held about 20 pounds of corn.

The hog will roll it around to get the corn out. When it runs out then they hear the rocks that are trapped in one end and think there is still corn in it. It makes them hang around longer...

Re: Bait law question - 06/11/19 07:36 PM

You can do the same with a keg, piggy go round.

Re: Bait law question - 06/11/19 10:20 PM

Don't know if itS been brought up but I don't think they will allow baiting during turkey season
© 2024 ALDEER.COM