Aldeer.com

Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose?

Posted By: Clem

Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/21/19 11:07 PM

Out of these five states for big whitetail deer -- 150 class or larger -- which would you choose if you wanted to go (or do go already), you had property to hunt (private or public) and money wasn't an issue for tags and licenses?

Iowa
Kentucky
Illinois
Kansas
Missouri
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/21/19 11:16 PM

Kansas
Posted By: Out back

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/21/19 11:39 PM

None of the above
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/21/19 11:46 PM

If I were the type to pay for inches of antler and wanted it to be on a free-range whitetail buck; I would probably just go to Central/Northern Alberta, Canada.

That is where I have personally seen the biggest whitetails I have ever seen.....and no doubt about it!

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/21/19 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hogwild
If I were the type to pay for inches of antler and wanted it to be on a free-range whitetail buck; I would probably just go to Central/Northern Alberta, Canada.

That is where I have personally seen the biggest whitetails I have ever seen.....and no doubt about it!

Son of a b.....!
I actually agree with hogwild!

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/21/19 11:48 PM

Son of a b.....!

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/21/19 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Out back

Son of a b.....!

LOL

We actually agree on more than you think.
We just have different perspectives on some things. smile

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/21/19 11:51 PM

None of the Above and Alberta are not options.

You two dipchits already are sticking your fingers in the soup. laugh

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/21/19 11:53 PM

Ha!!!

I have never been to KS.
So, that would be a good trip.
However, by personal knowledge on the others, I would go with Iowa.

BUT, the individual property in either of those will absolutely make more difference than the State the property is located in.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/21/19 11:57 PM

I would rank them -

Iowa
Missouri
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky

But I would put Texas higher than them all. If money is no object, you will see more big deer in Texas than anywhere else in the lower 48

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 12:03 AM

Deer I passed in Texas last year -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Out back

Son of a b.....!

LOL

We actually agree on more than you think.
We just have different perspectives on some things. smile

I thought y'all were brothers.
Posted By: Scout308

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 12:07 AM

None of the above. I would go to Saskatchewan Canada.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 12:15 AM

I only rifle hunt, so that rules out Iowa and Illinois. I'd rank Missouri and Kansas next followed by Kentucky.
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 12:18 AM

Missouri here.
Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 01:07 AM

Iowa

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 01:29 AM

Texas and Saskatchewan are not on the list.
Posted By: LIOJeff

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 01:32 AM

Iowa
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 01:41 AM

Iowa
Kansas
Illinois (some parts)
Missouri (northwest corner)
Kentucky
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 01:43 AM

Iowa
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 01:52 AM

I hunted 9 years in NE Missouri and was there where it was good. But now it would have to Iowa. I have friends that send me pics every year. It’s hust unreal the deer they kill and see.

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 02:07 AM

If I'm restricted to your list, I'd choose Kentucky because it's the cheapest one to hunt.
But then, I don't like your list. 😆
Posted By: jb20

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by UncleHuck

Deer I passed in Texas last year -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lol is that inside or outside? Don't matter to me but the question was free range...i got a buddy that kiss a 140 every other year with bow on public land in Illinois if that helps I've only hunted AL n TN nothing over 130 to date smile

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 02:50 AM

Both of those were outside a high fence. First one was bedded behind a cattle cross fence.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 02:59 AM

After years of hunting up that way if I was to start fresh I would seriously consider Indiana....Cheaper license and no hassles much there and they have Tons of GiANT bucks there too....I still believe it's a sleeper state that doesnt get neeeeear as much attention as those that border it on all sides.....did I say it was way cheaper too.... smile If you would pick a few parks out and spend a little time bumbling around in them laugh and do plenty of road riding with your satellite maps on to show you how the timber runs in and around them.....You may just find you a little sweet spot or 3 and never have any company..... wink Boy wouldn't that be Sweet thumbup Good Luck to ya...
Posted By: James

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Squadron77
Kansas
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 09:50 AM

Kansas or Iowa. I've hunted the other 3 (Kentucky, Illinois and Missouri).
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 03:25 PM

Wisconsin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 04:06 PM

Iowa then Kansas
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 04:06 PM

I’ve personally hunted 4 of the 5 listed and currently hunt two which are Illinois and Kentucky. If I could only choose one it would be hands down Iowa. I’m almost to the point I’m about to quit hunting the two states I currently hunt and focus on Iowa every 4 years. I want to kill a deer over 170” and I feel Iowa would afford me that opportunity. I may look at Kansas and certain parts of Oklahoma in the future.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 04:25 PM

Think I'll just stay home and save my big game , out of state $ for elk.

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Squeaky
I’ve personally hunted 4 of the 5 listed and currently hunt two which are Illinois and Kentucky. If I could only choose one it would be hands down Iowa. I’m almost to the point I’m about to quit hunting the two states I currently hunt and focus on Iowa every 4 years. I want to kill a deer over 170” and I feel Iowa would afford me that opportunity. I may look at Kansas and certain parts of Oklahoma in the future.

If I was of financial means and of a mind to chase big bucks, I'd go with your idea - Iowa, Kansas and some areas of Oklahoma. I've seen two 170 bucks in Kansas and it was pretty damned exciting. I just don't have the money or hardcore desire, though.

I've considered Oklahoma and have a couple of areas in mind. I think it and Indiana, mentioned earlier, are vastly underrated and inexpensive compared to others.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 05:19 PM

Ha!!!

I have never been to KS.
So, that would be a good trip.
However, by personal knowledge on the others, I would go with Iowa.

BUT, the individual property in either of those will absolutely make more difference than the State the property is located in.

^^^^^^Whole truth and nothing but the truth right there. it's the same everywhere, even in Bama. The particular piece of property you are hunting can and does make all the difference in the world. If I had to pick a particular state in general. I'd probably go Iowa too.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 06:20 PM

Definitely Iowa, with Tiffany Lakosky.
Posted By: mman

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 06:35 PM

Definitely Wisconsin, Ohio or Alberta...

J/K, wanted to get in on the group that is not picking from the choices.

Actually, I would probably pick Kansas or Iowa. I have a cousin that lives in Kansas, and he has killed some monsters.
Posted By: Bama_Bow_Hunter

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/22/19 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Clem
Originally Posted by Squeaky

If I was of financial means and of a mind to chase big bucks, I'd go with your idea - Iowa, Kansas and some areas of Oklahoma. I've seen two 170 bucks in Kansas and it was pretty damned exciting. I just don't have the money or hardcore desire, though.

I've considered Oklahoma and have a couple of areas in mind. I think it and Indiana, mentioned earlier, are vastly underrated and inexpensive compared to others.

I'm in the same boat. I've started going further west away from KY and IL and have had some great success. I've been tag-teaming OK and KS in between Iowa years.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/26/19 03:54 AM

Ohio
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/26/19 04:22 AM

New hampshire has open tresspass i believe?. That would be so cool to moose hunt on. They just ask that you let the landowner know that you will be hunting.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/26/19 02:35 PM

Iowa, then Kansas. After that they are all pretty dependent on the property. Northern Missouri on the Iowa line would probably be my next pick.

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/26/19 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by jallencrockett
New hampshire has open tresspass i believe?. That would be so cool to moose hunt on. They just ask that you let the landowner know that you will be hunting.

Years ago I discussed with a friend putting in for moose tags in New Hampshire and Vermont. If one of us got drawn we'd split the costs and the meat. We never did it, though.
Posted By: Sdyar

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/26/19 06:28 PM

Kansas
Posted By: bigt

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/26/19 07:19 PM

I would have to go with Iowa myself
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/27/19 02:13 PM

For now it would be Alabama. The hunting here in Florida isn't the best but it'll do for now.
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 05/27/19 05:01 PM

If I had to choose, I'd go to the northwest territory of Canada. My cousin goes every other year and has several booners to show for it. Kind of pricy though.
Posted By: Honcho

Re: Hunting in Another State - Which Would You Choose? - 06/12/19 01:35 PM

I've hunted all that you listed and I would have to rank them as follows:

Iowa - Amazing trophy potential, especially considering the majority of locals "Drive" hunt the deer!!
Illinois - Every county in the state has produced record book bucks (my biggest buck to date came from the Southeastern region).
Kentucky - As stated before, you can't beat this state for the money!!......I simply love it!! Been hunting there since the late 80's.
Missouri - Get in close to Iowa and Illinois lines if possible. This state has the absolute best public hunting system in the Eastern US, btw.
Kansas - Some monsters here for sure, but definitely farm specific.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM