Aldeer.com

planting corn by spreader question

Posted By: HHSyelper

planting corn by spreader question - 05/08/19 05:01 PM

I've got a 2.5 - 3 acre field that I want to try and plant before this coming rain. It won't be able to get it disced enough to run my planter through it, so I'm going to broad cast seed and lightly disc. How many pounds per acre is the suggested rate? I'm not mixing with anything else, just straight corn. This is a very fertile river bottom field. Thanks
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/08/19 05:37 PM

Less is better. I’d find me Seed per lb on the bag and shoot for 20k Seed per acre based on that

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/08/19 05:53 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Out back

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/08/19 08:12 PM

Waste of time and money.
If you can't spray it and cultivate it the weeds will choke it out.

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/08/19 08:16 PM

Bullschit. I’ve grown several massive crops spread. Just gotta spray and spread thru it
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/08/19 09:31 PM

I grew a hell of a corn crop on 4 acres with rr corn broadcast with a cyclone spreader, sprayed it when it was knee high. Did fantastic but the deer and coons ate every bit of it by mid August
Posted By: Groundhawg

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/08/19 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
Waste of time and money.
If you can't spray it and cultivate it the weeds will choke it out.

275 is correct you can get great crops with just spraying. A lot depends on the type of corn and what sort of weeds you have and how many hogs are in the area.

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/08/19 11:02 PM

Cultivating left farming about 1992
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/09/19 12:26 AM

[Linked Image]
This was last years. I put 200lb 19-19-19/acre when I planted. I mixed the seed with the fertilizer and spread it with a cyclone spreader. I sprayed it when it was about 10in high. I put 200lb/acre ammonia nitrate when it was 16-18in high. This year I used 2 sacks of dekalb on 3 acres. Probably a hair too thick but itll make.

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/09/19 01:25 AM

Yea 1 bag on 3 acres woulda been plenty. It’ll just be shorter with smaller ears. That’s all
Posted By: Remington270

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/09/19 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Bullschit. I’ve grown several massive crops spread. Just gotta spray and spread thru it

Same here. It’s for deer. Doesn’t have to yield 250 bushels/acre.

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/09/19 03:15 AM

Well I couldn’t get the field ready tonight, but it will hopefully get planted next week once it dries out from this coming rain. This field will make two and three ears without any fertilizer, typically. It gets flooded 2-3 times a year, and is some of the prettiest soil on the farm. Round up has about done away with all cultivation except when I side dress corn in rows in other fields
Posted By: Wade

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/14/19 05:31 PM

I shoot for around 35 lbs per acre broadcast. You will think you are not putting enough out but trust it. Too much will yield stunted stalks with no ears. I just broadcast, drag or pack, and I put my N out the same time I plant. Spray when it is knee high and forget about it.

Jwalker - that looks like row corn from the pic. Just sayin...

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/14/19 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wade
I shoot for around 35 lbs per acre broadcast. You will think you are not putting enough out but trust it. Too much will yield stunted stalks with no ears. I just broadcast, drag or pack, and I put my N out the same time I plant. Spray when it is knee high and forget about it.

Jwalker - that looks like row corn from the pic. Just sayin...

I rolled a terrace row over after I planted, thats why il looks like that right there. No rows
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/16/19 12:02 AM

River bottom land is going to flood. Waste of money. Cob corn pile is your friend.

May make for some epic duck hunting.

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/16/19 02:18 AM

Finally got that field planted today due to the recent rain. Also side dressed 3 other fields today with nitrogen. Will spray next week and be done with those first fields. Time to plant some chufa and milo fields. The older I get, th more I enjoy planting and working for wildlife.
Posted By: gman

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 05/17/19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by HHSyelper
Finally got that field planted today due to the recent rain. Also side dressed 3 other fields today with nitrogen. Will spray next week and be done with those first fields. Time to plant some chufa and milo fields. The older I get, th more I enjoy planting and working for wildlife.
I'm finding this to be more true each year.

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 06/11/19 10:29 PM

This is what mine looked like today. I broadcast 200lb ammonia nitrate per acre last wednesday before it started raining. It has grown more than a foot since then. Its liking the rain.
[Linked Image]

Re: planting corn by spreader question - 06/11/19 11:10 PM

Looking good walker. I don’t know how to post pictures and people would say I’m lying if I showed the two field I planted without any fertilizer. They may look better than the field with fertilizer at planting and side dressing.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM