Aldeer.com

Best Muzzleloaders

Posted By: BamaGrad85

Best Muzzleloaders - 05/08/19 02:09 AM

Wanting to spend less than $500 on a muzzleloader. What's out there for a beginner? Scope or iron sights? What scope do you prefer?
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/08/19 02:27 AM

Used Remington 700ML .50cal, .45cal Barnes X bullet with sabot, 2 pellets pyrodex, 1" groups at 100yds. Make sure you get the tools as well.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/08/19 12:14 PM

Tc encore pro hunter
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/08/19 01:29 PM

Another vote for the TC Encore Pro Hunter. Just a standard 3-9x40 scope is all you need. Nothing fancy.
Posted By: square

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/08/19 02:08 PM

CVA Accura - Bergara barrels are better than any anything Thompson sells.
Posted By: dsayer

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/08/19 04:08 PM

Well you're obviously interested in a modern/inline rifle since you also asked about a scope. In which case, I'd agree with @square about the CVA Accura. It's a great rifle.

But if I had $500 to drop on a muzzleloader, I'd mosey over to the classified ad section of https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com and get something more "traditional". There are usually a number of guys selling Lyman GPRs, older CVAs, and similar rifles at great prices. It's also a great resource for TRADITIONAL muzzleloading. They'll run you out of there if you even mention an inline or any type of modern projectile.
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/08/19 04:31 PM

I have a Traditions Pursuit that I got for around 350 with a stock 3x9 scope and it’s a fun shooting/easy to clean muzzleloader. If you’re just getting into it, I’d look for one with a removable breech plug. Makes life a lot easier after you shoot. I’m looking to graduate to the traditional stuff eventually but at the current moment, what I have can and will get the job done.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/08/19 04:49 PM

TC in the classifieds.

Click me

Save $275 for corn and feeders rofl
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/08/19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by square
CVA Accura - Bergara barrels are better than any anything Thompson sells.

Bold statement.

I was pretty happy with MOA @200 over 209 powder with a Pro Hunter. Should I sell it and get a CVA? Maybe I should go back to shooting round balls while I'm at it.

I would buy a CVA though. Nothing wrong with them.

Posted By: square

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/08/19 07:56 PM

I just had a bad experience with a T/C. and the quality controls on their extra barrels which caused problems with the ML barrel when I tried to correct the issues with the extra barrel. The big issue was their customer service attitude that nothing was wrong. My CVA has performed flawlessly from day one. Years of experience with CVA from the cheapest models up to the Accura have been nothing but positive. Dependable and very accurate.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/08/19 08:43 PM

I had a CVA Accura, and it was nice, no complaints. I sold that gun, and now have a CVA Optima with the thumbhole stock. I'm 101% satisfied.
You can buy an Optima AND a darn nice scope for somewhat less than $500.
Posted By: Hunter454

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/09/19 01:22 AM

I am kind of fond of my Knight Ultra light. I have holes touching at 150. Only weights 6 pounds before scope.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/09/19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
Tc encore pro hunter

Yep!
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/09/19 08:07 PM

I have a CVA Accura V2 LR that paid only slightly more than your budget price for that I love. It is a fine shooting gun that has been the demise of several fine bucks the past couple of years. And, based on the number of people who have borrowed it to take on mid-West hunts, I must not be the only one that thinks so!
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/09/19 08:13 PM

Love my encore and all I have to do is swap barrels to go from a muzzleloader to a center fire rifle
Posted By: WildlifeBiologist

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/09/19 08:41 PM

CVA with Bergara barrel is the way I would go.
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/10/19 01:11 AM

I have owned Knight, Thompson and CVA. My current muzzleloader is a CVA Apex with a Begera barrel and Thompson Omega. I sold my CVA Optima to my son, both CVAs shoot better than I can. The Thompson Omega is a good shooter also, but I'd probably give a slight edge to the Apex. The quick release breech plug is really nice, something my Omega and old Knight didn't have. I really believe the muzzleloader market is much like the center fire market, there are some really accurate guns for not a lot of money. I definitely recommend getting something that shoots blackhorn 209 powder, it is a game changer when it comes to barrel fouling. For a all-in budget of $500 you can come up with a good combo.

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/10/19 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cousneddy
I have owned Knight, Thompson and CVA. My current muzzleloader is a CVA Apex with a Begera barrel and Thompson Omega. I sold my CVA Optima to my son, both CVAs shoot better than I can. The Thompson Omega is a good shooter also, but I'd probably give a slight edge to the Apex. The quick release breech plug is really nice, something my Omega and old Knight didn't have. I really believe the muzzleloader market is much like the center fire market, there are some really accurate guns for not a lot of money. I definitely recommend getting something that shoots blackhorn 209 powder, it is a game changer when it comes to barrel fouling. For a all-in budget of $500 you can come up with a good combo.

It would actually be for gun only. I have an old Nikon 3x9x40 prostaff I can put on it. I hear and have read that TC Impact is a good starter muzzle loader. Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts?
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/10/19 02:40 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to suggest these guys:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jpfishmaster

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/11/19 09:16 PM

I've had many, including an Encore. I currently have a TC Omega that I will never part with
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/12/19 03:00 PM

I have the TC Encore Endeavor. Great ML but the original barrel that came on it new wouldn't shoot a 12" group. Got it took back to Mark's and they had TC send them a new barrel for it.

It shoots great now and I have a target with 3 shots all touching at 100 yards using the BH209 and Hornady 250 grain bullets.
Posted By: 243Win

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/14/19 02:17 AM

I have the tc impact. I'm gonna say 2 1/2 in groups with triple 7 and whatever walmart ammo I bought. If I would get serious with it I could do better I know but I havent used it in 2 or 3 years

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/14/19 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 243Win
I have the tc impact. I'm gonna say 2 1/2 in groups with triple 7 and whatever walmart ammo I bought. If I would get serious with it I could do better I know but I havent used it in 2 or 3 years

what about the pics you were going to send me please?
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/15/19 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hogwild
I have a CVA Accura V2 LR that paid only slightly more than your budget price for that I love. It is a fine shooting gun that has been the demise of several fine bucks the past couple of years. And, based on the number of people who have borrowed it to take on mid-West hunts, I must not be the only one that thinks so!

That's what I have and it's very accurate and the stainless Bergara barrel is great, easy to clean and doesn't corrode if you don't clean it when you should, just speaking for a friend

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/16/19 02:27 AM

What about the CVA "Wolf"? I like the screw on breech plug. Does anyone on Aldeer haven? Pro's & Con's?
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/16/19 09:41 AM

Why is this thread not in the Muzzle loader forum? Probably get better discussion.

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/17/19 12:18 AM

Sorry oltimer. I posted in the wrong place. Shoot me if you can find me. It's kind of sad though. I asked 2 different men on this thread to send pics of ML's they had for sale but neither did. Oh well their loss. I found a complete CVA Wolf magnum kit for $125. It even comes with a Konus scope which I'm going to offer later for free to anyone's kids who is just starting to hunt. gun
Posted By: Rip50

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/17/19 03:02 PM

That CVA Optima cost me a public land buck of a lifetime. Accuracy don't count for nothing if the trigger won't pull.
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/19/19 10:03 PM

knight woverine all day long
Posted By: Todd1700

Re: Best Muzzleloaders - 05/21/19 12:51 PM

If you can find a TC z5 omega in good shape I would recommend it. TC discontinued it and everyone says the reason was that it was too good for the price range it sold in and was hurting sales of the more expensive models. It's a drop breach design that allows you to pull the plug for easy cleaning. The one I have loaded with 100 grains of loose pyrodex behind a 250 grain Shockwave bullet will shoot 1 1/2 inch groups all day.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM