Aldeer.com

ATV Tires, Advise Me Please

Posted By: Rocket62

ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/04/19 02:28 PM

I've got a 2016 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 and need some new tires. My current tires have good tread on them but I see cracking between the knobs so I'm afraid they may pop. Budget is an issue so I am open to take-offs and lightly used sets. I want to understand first which tire types will work best before I run off and spend a pile of money. I use this ATV only on my hunting club. We have miles of trails and some are very rocky. Mud/water is of little issue.

I'd appreciate some insight from those of you in-the-know ..

Thanks!
Rocket out
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/04/19 03:14 PM

I got some replacements cheap online but can't remember the site. They ship pretty cheap. Don't get the big mud tread ones they are super heavy and will slow you down. The ones I got were made by Kenda and have held up well.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/04/19 03:40 PM

Look on amazon. That is where I got my last two sets. Mud lites have got to be the worst tires out there. I see them all them all the time. I bought a set and they wore out faster than any atv tire I’ve ever had.
Posted By: jrs89

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/04/19 04:17 PM

If you want stock tires call sounthern powersports and check on some pull offs.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/04/19 09:14 PM

The ITP mudlite radials have been the best atv tire ive ran. You could let all the air out of it and it get you back to your camp. unlike the stock honda tire which left me stranded 5 miles out in the woods.
Posted By: woodleyrd

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/04/19 09:29 PM

Been buying Kendra Bear Claws from Bikebandit.com. Good all around tire for a reasonable price. Free shipping on $100 order.
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/04/19 09:40 PM

I bought the GBC Dirt Devils from Sam’s Club and had a local tire shop mount them. You can also get them on Amazon.
Posted By: Out back

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/04/19 10:49 PM

I have a 1987 Kawasaki Bayou and a 1998 Yamaha Big Bear, with original factory tires.
Never been concerned about the superficial cracks. Fill em with slime and keep on rolling.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 02:40 AM

Itp mudlites without a doublt
Posted By: Big Buck Video

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 03:17 AM

I am running GBC Dirt Devils. They have been great for me.
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Out back
I have a 1987 Kawasaki Bayou and a 1998 Yamaha Big Bear, with original factory tires.
Never been concerned about the superficial cracks. Fill em with slime and keep on rolling.

I agree you're not going to have to worry about it blowing out. If your tires have good tread then run them. For a good overall tire I highly recommend the maxxis Bighorn. I feel it's one of the best overall tires you can get if you arent doing much mudding. The only thing you might want to check is your rim size. I believe the 420 had 11" rims. It's harder to find tires for them and the selection usually isnt as good so you might would consider some pull offs with 12s or just buying some 12 rims.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghost rabbit
Never been concerned about the superficial cracks.

I agree you're not going to have to worry about it blowing out. If your tires have good tread then run them.

Same here. I wouldn't worry about the surface cracks and I'd keep riding them until the tread was gone.

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 12:37 PM

The 420 came with these tires:

Front: AT24x8-12 MAXXIS M977
Rear: AT24x10-11 MAXXIS M988

They have been great tires, They've put 1100 miles on the rocks so far. Really about the cracks? I mean they scare me ... If I was 10 miles from camp and blew a tire I'd be fairly screwed. But, budget is an issue and if I could stretch another season out of these tires I'd be happy. This Tire Slime is good stuff?
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 01:29 PM

Slime is good, briar pricks or small nail holes seal up. How many pounds of air do you run in the 4 wheeler tires?
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by woodleyrd
Been buying Kendra Bear Claws from Bikebandit.com. Good all around tire for a reasonable price. Free shipping on $100 order.

Can't go wrong with bear claws. Great tough tire. Plenty of grip and rides really good. I bought a new set a couple weeks ago for my honda.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 02:05 PM

In the NA hills and rocks I've always liked factory type tires, they are softer than most others. I have Carlisle on mine that are very similar to the originals. You won't like a hard tire on slick rocks eek .
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
In the NA hills and rocks I've always liked factory type tires, they are softer than most others. I have Carlisle on mine that are very similar to the originals. You won't like a hard tire on slick rocks eek .

That is correct the lower ply tires are softer and grip better on rocks. Many machines come stock with Carlisle.

As far as actually blowing out it's not a car on the highway so the chance of it blowing out is very slim. Normally they would start to leak if they got bad enough. I've seen people run cracked tires in prety bad shape, as long they're holding air I'd run them especially if you're not wanting to spend the money.
Posted By: CD

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 05:13 PM

Slime is your friend. I’ve sealed up some gashes that looked like they came off of Elm Street. I’d run them until the tread is gone before worrying anymore about some small cracks. As for pull offs, the best tire I ever ran was a Maxxis something-another that came off a Kawasaki Terex. Someone here may know the exact tire, but it was the perfect mix for both rocks and mud and were built tough. I sold that bike to FurFlyin. If he’s still got it, he may can tell you the tire.
Posted By: level5

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 05:29 PM

I've had 2 of those sitting in my back garage for a couple of years with about 50-60% tread. I bought all 4 from a guy, but did not work for my rims on rear. If we could figure out how to get them to you, I would take $40 for both just to help you and get them out of the way. I don't know if if the M-988 model number is the same...Rear: AT24x10-11 MAXXIS
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/05/19 07:02 PM

Maxxis Bighorn II when you get ready to buy later on.

Put some slime in yours and keep rollin'... thumbup
Posted By: nomercy

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/06/19 02:48 AM

I have the Bear Claws...with slime in em. Had a slow leak from a dented bead on the rim. Slime stopped it. Great all around tread. Yet to find something that I couldn’t get through. Had lotsssss of trails that wear nothing but rocks at my last lease. Likes of em. Never checked up on me once.

That said, I’d ride what’s on yours slick first. Especially if your money is needed elsewhere
Posted By: blumsden

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/06/19 11:29 AM

ITP mudlites. They were like $269 with free shipping.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/06/19 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by riflenut
Originally Posted by ghost rabbit
Never been concerned about the superficial cracks.

I agree you're not going to have to worry about it blowing out. If your tires have good tread then run them.

Same here. I wouldn't worry about the surface cracks and I'd keep riding them until the tread was gone.

Ditto here. I have a 2004 Rancher with the factory tires on them.

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/07/19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Slime is good, briar pricks or small nail holes seal up. How many pounds of air do you run in the 4 wheeler tires?

I believe it's 4-5 lbs

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/07/19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by level5
I've had 2 of those sitting in my back garage for a couple of years with about 50-60% tread. I bought all 4 from a guy, but did not work for my rims on rear. If we could figure out how to get them to you, I would take $40 for both just to help you and get them out of the way. I don't know if if the M-988 model number is the same...Rear: AT24x10-11 MAXXIS

Thanks that's very nice of you but by the time we paid for shipping the cost would make it unworkable

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/07/19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
ITP mudlites. They were like $269 with free shipping.

Where did you buy them?

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/07/19 03:26 PM

Rocky mountain atv, if I remember correctly.

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/07/19 07:25 PM

$271.52 shipped ... I may just bite on that. Thanks for the tip
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/07/19 08:44 PM

Kenda Bear Claw. Yep... Another vote.

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/08/19 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket62
$271.52 shipped ... I may just bite on that. Thanks for the tip

No problem. I like mine. I use my atv as a tool not a toy, so I don't put a ton of hours on them.
Posted By: crocker

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/09/19 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by doekiller
Look on amazon. That is where I got my last two sets. Mud lites have got to be the worst tires out there. I see them all them all the time. I bought a set and they wore out faster than any atv tire I’ve ever had.

Agree with this assessment of mudlights. For long lasting I would have to go with maxxis bighorns.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: ATV Tires, Advise Me Please - 05/09/19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

Kenda Bear Claw. Yep... Another vote.
And yet another. Awful hard to beat in the mountains.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM