Aldeer.com

Corn??

Posted By: BREEZE1

Corn?? - 04/25/19 11:45 PM

Ok so I see it passed. How are clubs going to handle this now. Not likely but just say 18 people on 1800 acres and each puts out 2 corn piles. Then you have feeders on 10 fields. How much are deer gonna move?

Re: Corn?? - 04/25/19 11:47 PM

Or say X member has been putting corn in a clearcut all year. Other guy hasn't bought first bag but hunts the other guys bait pile Monday thru Friday while X is at work? I see lots of problems
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: Corn?? - 04/25/19 11:59 PM

If you hunt corn piles you’re going to see does and bucks younger than 3.5 years old
Posted By: mdf

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:04 AM

The way I see it is someone in a club is going to place feed in spot x and call it his spot and expect no one but him to hunt it.
Or regular Joe can't hunt the spot because he doesn't believe in hunting over corn,feed etc. I'm in a club and hope to goodness we have a club
meeting to kinda talk this over.

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:05 AM

I understand that. Not many people wanted this to fail more than me. But now it's passed so...

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by NSDQ160
If you hunt corn piles you’re going to see does and bucks younger than 3.5 years old

I understand that. Not many people wanted this to fail more than me. But now it's passed so...
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:16 AM

Posted By: mdf

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:21 AM

I think we eventually knew it would pass as did dcnr it's been kicked around for years. The state's all around us have been doing it for years.
To me it's not the worst thing in my life that could have happened . So compared to the lottery this will not take but $15 compared to people's whole checks that will be spent on a lottery if you play. JMO
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by BREEZE1

A few people who run clubs Ive talked too briefly about it over the past few weeks are probably going to raise their standards of what size or age of bucks they are going to take and try and limit the amount of younger bucks taken. Also talked about areas where no corn would be allowed at all, or not allowed on fields, or at least be 100 yards away so those who didnt purchase the permit could hunt without worry of ticket.
Posted By: ALABAMABUCKBASHER

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:35 AM

This is not a true statement, if you shoot every deer that comes to the feeder your gonna have a lot of pressure and you will probably won’t see anything. If you’re selective and kill only the deer you’re wanting to kill you will see mature bucks. I’ve personally done it several times. Hunting over corn or green field is no difference especially if there is little to no pressure.

For all you guys hunting in a club, you need to make rules about this before the season starts. If you don’t want to hunt over corn don’t join a club that does. If you do then hunt a club that does. It’s not really that difficult guys.

As far as someone baiting a spot and some other member hunting over it, well it is what it is unless the club assigns a area for each member to let each member bait as they wish.
Posted By: ALABAMABUCKBASHER

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rmart30

A few people who run clubs Ive talked too briefly about it over the past few weeks are probably going to raise their standards of what size or age of bucks they are going to take and try and limit the amount of younger bucks taken. Also talked about areas where no corn would be allowed at all, or not allowed on fields, or at least be 100 yards away so those who didnt purchase the permit could hunt without worry of ticket.

I could be wrong, but from my understanding the 100 yard rule will not apply anymore if you don’t have a permit.
Posted By: btfl

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:39 AM

Hmmm. Didn't know they put an age limit on corn piles.

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:43 AM

Your knowledge on this subject is a joke. Like always

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by ALABAMABUCKBASHER
Originally Posted by Rmart30

I could be wrong, but from my understanding the 100 yard rule will not apply anymore if you don’t have a permit.

I had read earlier that the 100 yard rule still applied just like before to those who didnt buy the permit. I guess we will know in a few days what the bill actually contains and its wording.
Its going to be a interesting year for sure. Even if you do make areas of no corn, or clubs that may decide not to use corn at all, you will always have "that one guy" whos going to do it anyway even though he knew the rules going in.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:46 AM

I think clubs will have to be all in on baiting or all out. Anyother way will cause a ton of problems.

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by mike35549
I think clubs will have to be all in on baiting or all out. Anyother way will cause a ton of problems.

I agree and thats why the guys I spoke too were going to go along with it and just up their requirements to older or larger bucks.
Posted By: MC21

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:57 AM

Our plan is to not be able to walk 20 yards in any direction without stepping on a kernel of corn. Give the deer plenty to eat and make sure they stay on our place.
Posted By: dsayer

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 12:58 AM

Does the law only apply to privately managed land? I'm assuming a guy couldn't tote a bag of corn into a WMA or national forest land but maybe so?
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 01:33 AM

I'm against baiting. I'm gonna find me a tree dropping acorns, or a food plot.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 01:44 AM

Or say X member has been putting corn in a clearcut all year. Other guy hasn't bought first bag but hunts the other guys bait pile Monday thru Friday while X is at work? I see lots of problems

So, you've found some new drama to create at your hunting club?

Wonderful... slap

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 01:48 AM

Lmao

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by dsayer
Does the law only apply to privately managed land? I'm assuming a guy couldn't tote a bag of corn into a WMA or national forest land but maybe so?

private land only is what i read earlier but who knows till we see the finalized version in print.

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

So, you've found some new drama to create at your hunting club?

Wonderful... slap

Oh thats coming. its a given.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 02:20 AM

Sooooo....A guy puts out corn in a clearcut all year long but another member hunts it while the other guy is at work? Tough schit!!! What are you going to tell him that is your clearcut??? Come on man, it isn’t all about you and the $5.00 you spent on the corn!!

My land has basically one rule, do not be selfish in your hunting efforts and do not disrupt anyone else’s hunt by being selfish. If you don’t want someone hunting where you have “a spot” then either get your own lease or buy some land. Now as for clubs, if money has already been paid, there could be a problem this season with those not wanting to hunt near corn. However, clubs should decide how they are going to handle it for the next year.

As for me, I will do anything to help the wildlife, supplemental feeding is just one part of the equation. I will take food plots and mineral stations all day over corn. Right now the bucks are hammering the minerals. If you really want good deer, go hop on a tractor and put out some soybeans or cow peas right now. Those of you who have been fortunate enough to have been able to chase white tails in other states know as well as I do that corn is not a magic potion. You don’t just pour it out and expect 160” bucks to come running. In Alabama, our bucks for the most part tend to be much more sensitive to pressure. So I don’t believe that corn is going to change that. You will definitely see deer more consistently but as far as seeing big bucks, it could go either way. Having said that, I have in fact killed big bucks in Texas where corn was being slung. Different deer, different habitat.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 02:23 AM

.338 help me here......please stop the drama!!! That is why I go hunting to get away from drama,,,

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bore
.338 help me here......please stop the drama!!! That is why I go hunting to get away from drama,,,

Some hunting camps are worse than sorority houses when it comes to creating drama...
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 03:15 AM

Could always doit like texas....yeye
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 03:25 AM

You would think but I know several 150+ inch deer mature deer that have met their fate in a pile of corn
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 11:16 AM

Of course, you would never see a mature buck like this 5.5 year old at a corn pile -

[Linked Image]

or this 6.5 year old -

[Linked Image]

Or this one standing right beside my feeder -

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Morris

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by Big Bore

Some hunting camps are worse than sorority houses when it comes to creating drama...
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 02:15 PM

As someone who has hunted over corn for years...I mean I know someone who has hunted over corn for years, trust me it doesn't work anyway...he said it doesn't work anyway. thumbup
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 04:33 PM

I was hoping it wouldn't pass but it did so we'll act accordingly. We've never baited except in front of cameras. We've always tried to have the best food plots around and also did a fair amount of summer planting. Over the years I have killed good mature bucks, 120-140"+ on green fields. We will continue to plant spring and fall because of the benefit to the critters.
I feel like it will be necessary to maintain feeders now or be at a disadvantage to people that do if you don't. I could be wrong but I'm not going to chance it and well just have to deal with it and come up with a plan to do it and maintain it
Posted By: Clem

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2

You would think but I know several 150+ inch deer mature deer that have met their fate in a pile of corn

The 144 I shot in Kansas came to a feeder. At mid-morning. In the wide open.

He must've not gotten the memo about being nocturnal.

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

I've hunted Kansas around feeders, and have friends that have been going to the same place for over 10 years. I have killed 2 bucks and they have killed a few truckloads of them. Some of these were 160"+, and one was over 200" . Not one of them has been shot at a feeder.

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

That’s Kansas. These Alabama deer see corn and automatically go to sleep. I’ve walked up on them asleep in the corn pile while checking cameras.

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by UncleHuck

Of course, you would never see a mature buck like this 5.5 year old at a corn pile -

[Linked Image]

or this 6.5 year old -

[Linked Image]

Or this one standing right beside my feeder -

[Linked Image]

That’s because those Texas and Georgia deer are stupid an Alabama deer won’t come with in 300 yards of a feeder in the day light
Posted By: crocker

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 07:13 PM

Until said doe at the feeder comes in heat....
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 07:21 PM

Ok so I see it passed. How are clubs going to handle this now. Not likely but just say 18 people on 1800 acres and each puts out 2 corn piles. Then you have feeders on 10 fields. How much are deer gonna move?

I wouldn't allow feeders on any fields or within sight of a club owned stand if you want to bait do it in the woods and away from every body else. pretty much just keep on doing what everyone has been doing when it was not legal. If I did have club owned feeders no one would be allowed to hunt them to keep down the bitching.

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly

I wouldn't allow feeders on any fields or within sight of a club owned stand if you want to bait do it in the woods and away from every body else. pretty much just keep on doing what everyone has been doing when it was not legal. If I did have club owned feeders no one would be allowed to hunt them to keep down the bitching.

And we all know people in clubs follow rules smile
Most clubs could make that rule and put up the feeders and by 2nd weekend of season there would be shooting lanes cut and stands 25 yards from the feeder, or feeders up and moved closer to the fields.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Corn?? - 04/26/19 09:00 PM

Ima gonna get an ATV spreader and sling golden nuggets everywhere! Its raining corn! grin popcorn
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Corn?? - 04/27/19 02:15 AM

All Seasons road feeder, bud! That's what I use for my seeding, fertilizing, and feeding activities.

Re: Corn?? - 05/01/19 06:45 PM

My new camo I just ordered

[img][img]https://i.postimg.cc/VNQptrb7/corn.jpg[/img][/img]

Re: Corn?? - 05/01/19 06:46 PM

[quote=crocker]My new camo I just ordered

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Farmer64

Re: Corn?? - 05/01/19 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by crocker

[Linked Image]

rofl
Posted By: red neck richie

Re: Corn?? - 05/01/19 10:48 PM

So what does the new law say about hunting hogs over bait?
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Corn?? - 05/01/19 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by crocker

[Linked Image]

i bet they sold out quick.
Posted By: gman

Re: Corn?? - 05/02/19 02:32 AM

Spray a little corn scent on it and via la (or however the hell you spell it)
Posted By: mman

Re: Corn?? - 05/02/19 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by red neck richie

If you buy the baiting privilege license, you can do it. It still has to be signed (or not vetoed) by the Governor to become law.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Corn?? - 05/03/19 03:14 AM

I for one am not pleased with the bill passing. I run a club and this is going to be a struggle. I am concerned that we will lose more of our mature bucks as a result of being able to hunt over bait and on the flip side, I don't want to lose members because I don't allow hunting over bait. We have had feeders set up in designated locations following the old law but this just creates too damn many problems. I plan to wait and see what the bill actually says once the gov signs into law. I know other states like Kentucky, Georgia and Texas allow it they all have trophy bucks taken consistently, but I just don't consider it hunting one bit. At least with food plots, you have to work the land and grow the crop, putting a feeder and climbing a tree next to it doesn't take much skill of any kind.

I am sure our neighbors will be taking advantage of the new law so we will have to compete for the deer. I guess they are probably more worried about us than we are about them since we have 13 members and some don't mind spending the big $$$. This could turn into Game of Thrones real quick.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Corn?? - 05/03/19 11:32 PM

I really don't see what the issue will be. Just make everyone spend $15 let everyone bait as they wish and treat all bait sites the same why you treat stands that members put up on there own.
Posted By: Groundhawg

Re: Corn?? - 05/04/19 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Your knowledge on this subject is a joke. Like always

This is correct as was noted in ALABAMABUCKBASHER first post. You hunt right and not reason not to kill any size, age, or type of deer with or without "baiting".
Posted By: king

Re: Corn?? - 05/04/19 01:37 PM

some of you people make me sick ! this bill allows you to use bait ,"if you want to, then buy the permit" if don't want ,then don't, how hard is that to understand ???

Re: Corn?? - 05/04/19 10:25 PM

I dont see any problem with it. Folks have been doing it illegally like crazy.

Now its legal and people have a choice. Its hunting and they bait all over the country. From NH to SC, Ga , Florida from Texas to Nebraska.

Let folks do what they want. Plant food plots, bait, both if the want. Use bows, crossbows or rifles. Really..why make a big deal out of it. Im not going to.

I did see 257 post corn prices were down though, so i approached my neighbor who has HUGE silos of corn...and bought it all above market but not NEAR as high as Im gonna charge the masterbaiters. grin slap

See? You have to look for the silver lining in the cloud. Hes making money, and Im making money, the baiters can pull up, we will open the chute and fill their trucks up. Everyones happy! smile

Re: Corn?? - 05/04/19 10:29 PM

I hope his bins are full again this fall!

Re: Corn?? - 05/04/19 10:43 PM

LOL..I do too!! I knew youd pipe in seeing that. grin
Posted By: red neck richie

Re: Corn?? - 05/06/19 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by mman
Originally Posted by red neck richie

If you buy the baiting privilege license, you can do it. It still has to be signed (or not vetoed) by the Governor to become law.

10-4 Thanks for the info.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Corn?? - 05/06/19 10:00 PM

Passing a baiting bill in this state is just plain ignant and only about money...damn crooked govt idots..... mad Nothing good will come out of this for the herd in Alabama....Nothing....Gonna make em a buncha Democrats I guess....It's Ridiculous I tell ya.... rolleyes
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Corn?? - 05/07/19 02:29 AM

You are truly an idiot

Re: Corn?? - 05/07/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Avengedsevenfold

You are truly an idiot

He’s a skin flutist.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Corn?? - 05/07/19 02:48 AM

My question is will it alter the taste of venison. You know, kinda like feeding out a cow before slaughter
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Corn?? - 05/07/19 09:53 PM

It has been signed into law.

http://aonmag.com/hunting/baiting-legal-alabama-deer-hog-hunters/

Re: Corn?? - 05/07/19 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Originally Posted by Avengedsevenfold

You are truly an idiot

He’s a skin flutist.

Why do I think he may be a combination of both...?

Re: Corn?? - 05/07/19 11:40 PM

Bout damn time
Posted By: eskimo270

Re: Corn?? - 05/08/19 02:47 AM

Here ya go

https://www.soutdoors.com/best-deer-feeders/
© 2024 ALDEER.COM