Aldeer.com

Cheaha Wilderness Area

Posted By: Jjhurley2012

Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 01:35 AM

Today I went to the cheaha Wilderness area from the backside of Delta. Looks pretty remote. scouted around and didn't see much sign but I was wondering if anyone on here has tried hunting out there?
Posted By: Farmer Brown

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 03:07 AM

There is a few deer in there. The best hunting that I have enjoyed, has been either north, around Choccoloco WMA, or the east side of Rebecca Mountain, toward Hollins WMA. There are a lot of places to hunt on NF lands that aren't part of the WMA, but close.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 09:01 AM

one of the best turkey hunts I ever had was near the top of Rebecca Mountain, was on that dang bird from first light to 11:30 when I killed him.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 11:01 AM

Nothing in that whole area, better go somewhere else. Wasting your time.
Freds old and Penile.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 12:42 PM

Welcome to my home. Literally, I was born and raised halfway up that mountain (on the Munford side). 20 years ago I would've chosen that area for turkey hunting over a trip to Missouri, but there's never been much to talk about as far as deer hunting. It gets run to death by dog hunters. The turkey hunting stinks now too.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 01:42 PM

LOL, I learned to hunt on those Hollins birds, birds everywhere else seemed stupid after that.

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 01:51 PM

Yeah I followed nubbin Creek for a couple miles. It looked absolutely perfect but like I said , I didn't see any sign, no rubs, droppings. Guess I'm going to scout it again com early October when the acorns are dropping. Lot of old oaks. Anyway, thanks guys for the input.
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 01:52 PM

You gonna work for one up there. When I come back to AL to hunt I typically stick to the Cleburne side of the NF. No dog hunting allowed (though you occasionally may see a few “rabbit dogs” running around there) and it seems like there is a little less pressure on that side.

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 02:07 PM

Sounds good, I lived in Heflin for quite some time but never hunted back then. I might have to check it out up there in and around chocoloco wma. Thanks again
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 04:35 PM

Anyone know how the deer hunting is on the Duggar Mountain area on Nf around Piedmont

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 04:52 PM

Scouted a few times and found okay sign but it’s steeeeeeeep.. I’m sure you could have some luck out there but it seems like the numbers aren’t as good as other areas of the NF. If you could get permission to access from some of the private land that borders it you may have better luck in terms of numbers of deer and ability to get to them.
Posted By: countryphysician

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 06:43 PM

My dad has 36 acres of land for sale within rock throwing distance from the NF near Duggar mountain in Piedmont. Pretty good deer there. I actually haven't been there in a few years though. All hardwoods.

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by countryphysician
My dad has 36 acres of land for sale within rock throwing distance from the NF near Duggar mountain in Piedmont. Pretty good deer there. I actually haven't been there in a few years though. All hardwoods.

Is it listed online. How much is he asking?

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 08:19 PM

i'll ask when i get home from work and let you know
Posted By: Sgiles

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/21/19 09:36 PM

There’s actually an old homestead that is at the entrance of dugger on the north side that’s been broken up into about 11 tracts that’s coming up for auction if anyone is interested. I hunt around there almost exclusively. There’s deer there but they go deep when the shooting starts. I see deer regular enough to keep me going and it’s usually not too crowded...usually. And yeah like said before your walking uphill as soon as you leave the truck.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/22/19 11:53 AM

Go to ivory mountain. You'll find more deer.

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/22/19 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sgiles
There’s actually an old homestead that is at the entrance of dugger on the north side that’s been broken up into about 11 tracts that’s coming up for auction if anyone is interested. I hunt around there almost exclusively. There’s deer there but they go deep when the shooting starts. I see deer regular enough to keep me going and it’s usually not too crowded...usually. And yeah like said before your walking uphill as soon as you leave the truck.

You talking about the old Burns place off Rabbittown Rd?

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/22/19 01:54 PM

It was less acres than I thought. Here it is:
https://www.landandfarm.com/property/28_32_Acres_in_Calhoun_County-8610123/

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/22/19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by countryphysician

Nice place.
Posted By: Sgiles

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/22/19 06:56 PM

No other end where fs 500 comes out on the piedmont side
Posted By: jrs89

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/27/19 07:20 PM

Post a link please. I live right where you’re talking about.

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/28/19 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by jrs89

What's your thoughts on the hunting inside the Nf, jrs89 being your a local to the area.
Posted By: jrs89

Re: Cheaha Wilderness Area - 03/28/19 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by desertdog
Originally Posted by jrs89

What's your thoughts on the hunting inside the Nf, jrs89 being your a local to the area.

Better have some walking shoes. But there’s some deer in nf.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM