Aldeer.com

Giving up trail cameras

Posted By: Joe4majors

Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 02:48 PM

Has anyone completely given up cams and seen a meaningful improvement in hunting quality as a result? I don’t have much land to work with so obviously less pressure the better. I’m already dealing with dogs running around. rolleyes By improved hunting quality I mean more daylight sightings, mature buck kills, etc.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 03:02 PM

I don't see cameras being used as "a meaningful improvement in hunting quality." I just like them to see what critters are out there. I've been running them for over 10 years and some of the pics I've gotten are incredible. Some folks do a "hit list" or hunt a particular buck and that's great. My experience is that unless you have your own place to yourself, the nice deer you have on camera will be killed by someone else in the club that never knew the buck was even there. I've never killed a nice buck I have on camera but my neighbor has. slap

Dr. B
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 03:11 PM

I run them year round, but don't check them often once every month or two. I don't run them over feed mostly on licks or trails or well used fields. I don't check them often enough to pattern anything but, just like knowing what's around and enjoy seeing the pics.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 03:29 PM

I start them in September and run them until the end of the season. I check them at least once a week, but usually more often than that. They have proven to be a very valuable tool for locating and patterning bucks. I haven't seen any adverse reactions to doing this over several years and numerous properties.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 03:38 PM

I don’t check mine often enough to pattern bucks. I just like seeing pictures and then it also helps me narrow down what areas I want to hunt or focus on when I’ve got a couple really nice bucks on camera in a spot. That way I can keep pressure low while still seeing what’s around. And it’s worked for me, the past 3 bucks I’ve killed were all deer I had on camera.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 03:42 PM

I kept a couple of spypoints in the woods all year last year on different trails trying to find a trail the deer used on a regular basis I could set up on. What I found is that deer are ghosts, they appear out of nowhere and apparently do not use any trails to get where theyre going. They did nothing but confuse me more than I was. Now if the camera use you enjoy is putting up a feeder and keeping a camera on it and getting 50pictures every day, I like that. I get my pictures at 6:00, 10:00, and 2:00 and I cant wait to see them every time. But as far as patterning a deer using a camera, I have tried with no success.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
I kept a couple of spypoints in the woods all year last year on different trails trying to find a trail the deer used on a regular basis I could set up on. What I found is that deer are ghosts, they appear out of nowhere and apparently do not use any trails to get where theyre going. They did nothing but confuse me more than I was. Now if the camera use you enjoy is putting up a feeder and keeping a camera on it and getting 50pictures every day, I like that. I get my pictures at 6:00, 10:00, and 2:00 and I cant wait to see them every time. But as far as patterning a deer using a camera, I have tried with no success.

I fully understand, no rhyme nor reason. I have learned that Luck
has as much to do with it as anything.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 05:42 PM

The only way I can say a camera has helped me "pattern" a buck was 2yrs ago. I killed a big buck I had figured out, with cameras, would come out in the daytime a little after the first week in january. I would get a few pics of him each year passing by a feeder. 2nd week in january I hunted as many hours as posible and made that buck my goal. I got him. As far as I know, that was the only time each year when that buck would move in the daylight. It took me three years of observation and hunting to get him.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 06:57 PM

I run cameras on one private property and always get pics of trophy bucks every year. Some daylight some at night. I run no cameras on my public land spots and have no idea what kind of bucks are running around there other than seeing big rubs, etc.

Have taken 3 trophy bucks off the public land and ZERO off the private land where I run cameras even though I know there are big bucks there. Anyway, that is my experience but I will not be running any cameras anywhere this year except on roads for security. Ever notice a lot of your trail cam pics have the deer looking at the camera?
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 07:56 PM

If you checking cameras is messing up the deer you are doing it wrong. Cameras shouldn't be used to pin point a certain tree in the thick stuff to hunt. But should be placed in really easy to get to places. Preferably by cart or truck. Or under a stand and only checked when hunting that stand. If you want a camera in a hard to get to spot, get a sat cam.
Posted By: lances

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 08:26 PM

I went thru a spell that I ran several year around then quit for a few years. I ran one last fall and gonna run a couple more this next year. Interesting to see what is there but don’t like it if I find myself checking them just to be checking them. Would rather wonder and not spook the deer.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 08:47 PM

They are fun to look at but about useless for improving hunting here. 99% of the biguns are only out at night
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 10:12 PM

I've started to put out cameras again this year. I'm using the cheap $60 chinese specials off of Amazon. I haven't used them in years after I got a couple of them stolen off of trees, just pissed me off someone could snatch $120 away from me like that. My trespasser problem has finally cut down some, so now I've got the itch to "see whats out there" again.

The deer know exactly what's going on with those cameras. I have visited a camera I put on a plot frequently (about every four days) to make sure no piddlers were showing up and running off with the camera, and every time after I leave the deer are at the camera within about 45 minutes, noses high in the air, figuring out my scent and what the hell I am doing with this weird thing on the tree. One young buck even gave the camera a lick over from top to bottom within hours of me being there. They currently associate me with feeding them, because I drop off sweet potatoes every time I visit the camera, but it made me wonder what they would do if they didn't associate me with food, but with danger.

Best advice I have is if you do run them, don't check them often and keep them in an easy to access area like someone else said.
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 10:12 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that just enjoys the pictures! I especially like to see the difference though in area usage after the season opens. I will get some deer fairly regular and even daylight on our club and the 3-5 days before the season the pattern just flips. This year though I had 3 shooters on camera in daylight opening day and nobody killed a deer that day.
One interesting mote this year....all mine are also on licking branches and trails also...had another member (and I keep some on video mode) that walked up and grabbed the licking branch....for almost 3 weeks every buck that came there spooked before he even got his head up in the limb...scent matters!!!

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by JayHook2
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that just enjoys the pictures! I especially like to see the difference though in area usage after the season opens. I will get some deer fairly regular and even daylight on our club and the 3-5 days before the season the pattern just flips. This year though I had 3 shooters on camera in daylight opening day and nobody killed a deer that day.
One interesting mote this year....all mine are also on licking branches and trails also...had another member (and I keep some on video mode) that walked up and grabbed the licking branch....for almost 3 weeks every buck that came there spooked before he even got his head up in the limb...scent matters!!!

Yep. When I am feeding sweet potatoes if I physically touch one it will go uneaten for days, while other potatoes I don't physically touch get eaten immediately. All cameras have done for me so far have reinforced how important keeping scent out of the woods is.
Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/09/19 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy

The deer know exactly what's going on with those cameras. I have visited a camera I put on a plot frequently (about every four days) to make sure no piddlers were showing up and running off with the camera, and every time after I leave the deer are at the camera within about 45 minutes, noses high in the air, figuring out my scent and what the hell I am doing with this weird thing on the tree. One young buck even gave the camera a lick over from top to bottom within hours of me being there. They currently associate me with feeding them, because I drop off sweet potatoes every time I visit the camera, but it made me wonder what they would do if they didn't associate me with food, but with danger.

Best advice I have is if you do run them, don't check them often and keep them in an easy to access area like someone else said.

If this is happening, you need to put the camera higher and stop getting scent on the tree when you’re putting it up. I use the screw in mounts from Moultrie and put it 7-8 feet high on the tree and never have deer do what you’re saying here.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/10/19 12:52 AM

I would rather kill big bucks than just get pictures of them.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/10/19 01:42 AM

I ran a spypoint last year that helped me kill a good buck. Any of my other cameras are only checked if I am hunt the area. Some cameras were only checked once or twice last year.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/10/19 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
My experience is that unless you have your own place to yourself, the nice deer you have on camera will be killed by someone else in the club that never knew the buck was even there. I've never killed a nice buck I have on camera but my neighbor has. slap

Dr. B

I've had pretty good luck with cameras. I just went and looked and of the 11 bucks I've had mounted since I started running cameras, I had pictures of 8 of them. I've got several European mounts too and most of them were on my cameras.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/10/19 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Squadron77
I ran a spypoint last year that helped me kill a good buck. Any of my other cameras are only checked if I am hunt the area. Some cameras were only checked once or twice last year.

Please explain how the camera helped you kill a buck, not doubting, just curious, might want to use your tactics.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/10/19 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Joe4majors
Has anyone completely given up cams and seen a meaningful improvement in hunting quality as a result? I don’t have much land to work with so obviously less pressure the better. I’m already dealing with dogs running around. rolleyes By improved hunting quality I mean more daylight sightings, mature buck kills, etc.

I’ve honestly never owned trail cam
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/10/19 12:00 PM

They are a tool.....plain and simple.

Whether you know how to use that tool to your advantage or not is totally up to you!

Human activity, Intrusion into a buck’s area and hunting pressure are problems. No need in blaming those things on the cameras. They can be easily utilized while avoiding those type issueas.

Some folks get it, some don’t.
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/10/19 04:16 PM

My hunting success would drop tremendously if not for trail cameras. I’m fortunate to have several different properties to hunt. I rely on cameras to find a “shooter” before season starts. Once season begins I’ll keep them out but don’t really check them that often. I just need to know which property I should be hunting.

Now if I could only hunt one property, trail cameras wouldn’t really matter.

I haven’t killed a buck in years that I didn’t have a pic of.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/10/19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hogwild

Whether you know how to use that tool to your advantage or not is totally up to you!

Human activity, Intrusion into a buck’s area and hunting pressure are problems. No need in blaming those things on the cameras. They can be easily utilized while avoiding those type issueas.

Now, Danny why did you have to go tell the entire innerwebs how useful a camera can be on killing mature bucks consistently grin You and I would not anything about that, now would we whistle

Some of you fellers need to do some reading up on the use of trail cameras. Their is a lot of good information out their to help educate yourself on the correct use of trail cameras. The deer on my wall sure wish I would not have learned what I know now. They can be a very effective tool to help put yourself in the right area at the right time!! The key here is, how to utilize them without spooking the deer you are trying to locate then kill him.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/11/19 01:27 AM

The one thing about cameras that I have found is that it makes me pass on bucks that I probably would have shot without the pictures of the monsters. Then again, I don't think I'm any happier about it. So yeah, maybe I should give them up too.
Posted By: Swampdrummin

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/11/19 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Originally Posted by Squadron77

Please explain how the camera helped you kill a buck, not doubting, just curious, might want to use your tactics.

I was hunting this giant 160 class eight point in Illinois a few years back with an absolutely tiny home range. I moved 9 cameras to alternating 40 acre blocks for several weeks until I started getting him on camerA. I finally got him hitting the same scrape every 3 or 4th day early in the morning for like 4 straight cycles. I sat that scrape for 3 straight mornings and he showed up....I blacked out and missed.

He disappeared afterwards, Have never gotten that intense with cams since. You can definitely pattern them to kill them though.
Posted By: JUSTIN37HUNT

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/11/19 05:22 AM

So I've said this a lot, but more than anything, trail cams make it much easier to wake up after 3-4 hours of sleep...drive an hour to the lease and sit in 30-40 degree weather for hours at a time. Most importantly, they make it easier to turn around and do it all over again the next day. I probably wouldn't hunt near as much if I didn't have hard evidence of exactly what I'm hunting.

I'm sure running cameras can also negatively effect your hunts. Of course, there is some added pressure to the herd...but that is probably offset by doing less scouting by foot. If I weren't running cameras, I would probably be doing even more walking and scouting which would also add some pressure to the deer. Additionally, I've ran too many or had them spread out too far, so that checking them almost became a hassle. At the same time, not checking them had me convinced my chance for success was being impacted negatively too. Overall, I try to be smart. Don't visit the same spots too often, check the wind and pay attention to entry and exit routes, etc.

I've killed 11 bucks in 7 season. Of those 11, I'd say at least 6 were tied to trail cam use in some way. I either knew that deer was in the area or I was hunting the area for another buck(s) when I killed the one I killed. Plus there's countless bucks that have been killed that I knew where they were, just didn't get on them soon enough. Trail cams have also helped me develop a few consistencies on our place. Key times bucks seem to hit plots, the 3-4 days they seem to be most active at scrape sites, how often they keep the same home range from year to year, etc.

Plus they are a lot of fun.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/11/19 01:21 PM

Good for you!

Trail cameras are of the devil.
Posted By: hunter84

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/11/19 03:01 PM

Love trail cameras... we create "hit list" and "DO NOT SHOOT" list from them. We had a young 2 1/2 year old 8 point, several years back, that was put on the do not shoot list for 2 straight years. That deer was finally added to the hit list and scored low 40's. I treat trail cameras as my second hobby, I love seeing all the critters and watching deer grow from year to year.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/11/19 11:00 PM

For the guys giving up cameras, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my address so you can ship them to me. I like running cameras
because I hike and bike to check them and its healthy for me. That is all
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/12/19 06:44 PM

^^ I agree with the above post.

I have found game cameras to be an invaluable tool.
It shows me what I really have in terms of bucks especially mature bucks that are completely or almost completely nocturnal.

It reveals a lot of valuable information about what is really happening during the rut too.

I try to only check a camera when I am hunting the area where the camera is, approach it only with the wind in my favor, as quiet as can be, and never touch it
with my bare hands, and wipe it down with scent kill on a piece of scent washed cloth after I change out the camera card.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/12/19 06:48 PM

I don't use cameras. I decided to quit using them after watching the guys in my club use them all over the place and not kill deer
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/13/19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket62
I don't use cameras. I decided to quit using them after watching the guys in my club use them all over the place and not kill deer

Due to over checking , bumping the deer, and the deer patterning hunters. A lot of guys are guilty of this especially at clubs.

Cams are good tools that I think Ive learned a lot from over the years.
Ive learned that some of what i thought were really good looking spots almost never have deer in them. That has saved me a lot of wasted hours of sitting in a bad spot.
Ive learned that if you have multiple field or feeder locations that each buck acts differently with them. Some bucks you will see at every feeder or field. Some bucks you will only see at a certain 2 or 4 fields, some bucks at one , or some at none.
I run about half of my cams on roads and intersections year round. Mainly to watch for poachers and trespassers but what I found by doing that is some of the best bucks Ive seen on properties have been on those road cams and never once shown up on a single field or feeder cam. They seem to avoid the fields and feeders. And its not due to me over checking them or pressuring them. Most of my field or feeder cams go a minimum of 3 weeks up to maybe not even being checked at all during season. When I do check cams I try to do it right before a rain is coming so it washes scent away very quickly.
I would not want to give up running cams myself.
Posted By: king

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/13/19 02:04 PM

no body cares if you use trail cameras or not !!! i enjoy playing with my cameras, seeing what deer come to my corn pile is fun, I will use mine,and if you don't like them ,DONT use them !!!!!
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/13/19 02:51 PM

You don't have to give up game camera's, you just need to have enough will power to not check them constantly. Personally, I like to put them out in the middle of September to see what's there. I put them out over a mineral lick and some corn. Leave them for 2-3 weeks and pull them. Lets me know what I got. I then, like to put them up the middle of December on typical scrape lines to monitor daytime mature buck movement.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/13/19 04:29 PM

The absolute only way I'll use cameras in season is to hang a few about 2-3 weeks prior to when breeding first kicks off. I never "check" them. I'll slip in midday pull them all and see what's up, then if there's one that's showing up with regularity that catches my eye, he don't seem to live long. That running all over the property every few days checking cameras during season is a good way not to kill a old buck , IMO.
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/14/19 04:13 PM

I think there are several ways they can benefit. This year we had 2 mature bucks that we had several pictures of. One was a very good 9pt and the other was a short tined 8pt that didn't have much of a rack at all. We hunt roughly 500 acres and the 9pt stayed almost only at the northern part of the property. The 8pt stayed from central to the southern part. There were other bucks of course and during the rut you really dont know what's going to show up. But if you were after a big racked deer the odds of seeing that 9pt were very slim outside of the north end of the property. Without cameras you would have had no idea what was in the area and not known where the best area was to spend most of your time.

The other thing that I've noticed from my cameras and multiple stories of people killing bucks on camera is that during the rut if you have a mature deer show up in the daylight on a scrape or with a doe you need to get in the woods right then. Of course if you dont check your cams very often you may not know. If you have cellular cameras is the best way you'll benefit from that.
Posted By: tracer

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/16/19 01:35 PM

I use mainly cellular cameras and have learned that increased hunter numbers, pressure is why I'm not seeing any deer while on stand. I hunt Public land and have watched deer on cams all through the summer and fall right up
until the bow opener in Oct. and then nothing. I've hunted 200+ acres since 2005, harvesting some nice deer over that time and have shared this land with two other bow hunters. This past season three more bow hunters have setup
within two 70 acre tracts which are my tree stand spots. One guy set up a ladder stand right out in the open and the other fella used a climber stand which of course kept moving all over the place. The deer turned off, went nocturnal and that was all she wrote for that deer season.
I'm now in the process of moving all my stands out of this property to a new property 10 miles away. I will monitor it with cams and scout it out until turkey season starts.
Posted By: Halfrack

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/16/19 08:53 PM

Just like anything else,used correctly they can be a big benefit but used incorrectly and they can mess up a good spot.
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/17/19 07:16 PM

? Why would you give up cameras? I’m confused. They make no Flash infrared cameras. Whatever floats your boat. slap

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/18/19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mw2015

? Why would you give up cameras? I’m confused. They make no Flash infrared cameras. Whatever floats your boat. slap

What does no flash cameras have to do with scent control? Does the camera suddenly become invisible because it's no flash?

What prompted the topic for conversation was the video below (39 minute mark) and another where they basically say cameras MIGHT do more harm than good during the season. This isn't "Momma said cameras are the devil." I totally get the ideas of don't check them often, check when raining, use cellular if you can swing it, check on the way to your stand, etc., but that's not always reality. I know I got to the point to where it seemed worthless to check them because the pictures were either deer at night or stinking dogs. Again, I would guess the dogs are more of a problem than the cameras, but I can control the cameras better than I can a half dozen dogs. I simply wanted to get the conversation going and see if anyone had tried backing off cameras and doing so was worthwhile. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love seeing what all is on camera and it's great to keep a 9 year old interested, but busting my butt all year for him to see 2 deer during daylight the whole season sucks in terms of keeping his interest.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/18/19 03:04 PM

Joe, I know you're hunting family land, but your area may just not hold a lot of deer. Game Cams have nothing to do with it. I know places in the state of Alabama where you can see 50+ deer on a hunt, and the thought of not seeing any deer isn't even possible.

I fought it for 15 years, but...."hunt where the deer are" is the best advice. Some of Alabama just has bad deer hunting, plain and simple.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/18/19 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270
Joe, I know you're hunting family land, but your area may just not hold a lot of deer. Game Cams have nothing to do with it. I know places in the state of Alabama where you can see 50+ deer on a hunt, and the thought of not seeing any deer isn't even possible.

I fought it for 15 years, but...."hunt where the deer are" is the best advice. Some of Alabama just has bad deer hunting, plain and simple.

Yeah, it's 55 acres of family land in Marion County. Can only do so much.
Posted By: hitek

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 03/27/19 09:11 PM

We hardly ever kill a deer we do not have history with on camera. Have they helped me? They have helped me be a little more selective and hold out for certain deer. I am a competitive person so it is a competition to me to pick a certain deer and hunt it. Not everyone is the same. I use them to help me determine the area in which he is using, not pin point exact travel times and locations.
Posted By: 280AI_HAMMER

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 01:18 AM

I wish our hunting club would outlaw cameras al together way to much pressure on the property with every member with multiple cameras out. There not supposed to be checked only when hunting that area but that’s not what’s happening. Very seldom do the camera nuts kill a very good deer.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 02:38 AM

I run them before bow season all the way to beginning of gun season. After that they do more harm than good. Getting a pic of a good one on camera will do two things for you during hunting season. Make you booger up a good area, and hunt a deer that will rarely show back up there. I'd say pics to kills have been very very low. Typically the good ones on camera will wind up getting killed on the other end of the property.
Posted By: NSDQ160

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by 280AI_HAMMER
I wish our hunting club would outlaw cameras al together way to much pressure on the property with every member with multiple cameras out. There not supposed to be checked only when hunting that area but that’s not what’s happening. Very seldom do the camera nuts kill a very good deer.

I was in a club with 45 members, 9000 acres and we had 1 guy who put 28 cameras out..... can you imagine if each member did that? Even at 9k acres it would have been pressured to Hades and back.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 11:56 AM

28 cameras on 9k acres? Psssh. If you go out there and suit up in your scent free bubble-suit, wear your shoulder length cattle birthing gloves that have been bleach cleaned and stored in a sterile, vacuum sealed environment, and don't breath why you are setting em up the deer won't even be the wiser, 28 cameras or not. Really the best solution is just to use a full blown Scuba rebreather while working on in the woods setting up cameras. You just gotta know how to use em right is all.
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 02:18 PM

I am down to doing some buck inventory with them after the season ends. I cant help myself and drive myself crazy checking them during the season. It just pressures out already pressured deer more.

I have found that it is more fun for me to be surprised and not ever knowing what could step into the cross hairs than going after a certain buck.

I've spent whole season hunting a certain buck I have on camera only to kill a nicer one that I had never seen before.

I like the luck aspect, it's more fun to me.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 02:22 PM

i probably check my cameras once every month or 2 I just like to know whats there i abandon them by gun season. they really help out knowing a deers schedule in bow season. once the woods fill up with rifles and fall gets in full swing the patterns change.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 02:53 PM

IMO, you should place your camera out before season for 2 weeks and then take it down and move it. If you aint got him on camera in 2 weeks, well he aint in that area. I know a guy that keeps his camera on his feeder all the time and checks it weekly. Like some deer from 10 miles away is suddenly gonna take up at the feeder. He said he likes to watch their racks grow, well I like to shoot them so I do it differently. To each their own. Figure out what your goals are. Killing deer or watching wildlife. We do place them on traditional scrape lines a few weeks before the rut and take them down when we hunt it on the way out.
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 03:00 PM

I’ve killed several I’m confident I wouldn’t t have without the use of cameras.

They are an incredible tool and I’ve never seen any bad effects or negatives. Doesn’t seem to bother anything.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 06:55 PM

best use of a TC is to identify different bucks you have using yer place and to pre age them so you don't have to rush it and make a mistake, if that if important to you.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 07:04 PM

My game cameras provide me with some degree of exercise. Usually sometime around October I start trying to remember where I left them back in February. And I end up walking to a dozen different places, over a few miles, until I find them.... Or sometimes I don't.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
best use of a TC is to identify different bucks you have using yer place and to pre age them so you don't have to rush it and make a mistake, if that if important to you.

100%. It helps me tell guests which bucks to consider, and which ones are definitely too young.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy
28 cameras on 9k acres? Psssh. If you go out there and suit up in your scent free bubble-suit, wear your shoulder length cattle birthing gloves that have been bleach cleaned and stored in a sterile, vacuum sealed environment, and don't breath why you are setting em up the deer won't even be the wiser, 28 cameras or not. Really the best solution is just to use a full blown Scuba rebreather while working on in the woods setting up cameras. You just gotta know how to use em right is all.

I don't think you read what I said..... I said imagine if all 45 members did that (45x28=1,260 or just under 1 camera per 9 acres).

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 07:18 PM

Since I've had money to get good cameras and understand what makes deer come get their picture taken I've gotten to where I enjoy placing trail cameras and seeing what I get on them just as much as I do the hunting. The hunting part of it is almost bittersweet because the chase for that animal I've been watching so long ends.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/27/19 07:49 PM

I love having cameras out to get photos of what I want to kill and eat.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/28/19 01:22 AM

I dont like using them anymore. It takes the hunting and wondering out of it for me. It turns into just waiting on billy to come by around 2 so i just need to be waitin for him.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/28/19 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
I dont like using them anymore. It takes the hunting and wondering out of it for me. It turns into just waiting on billy to come by around 2 so i just need to be waitin for him.

You must be hunting a different species of deer than I am because there ain’t no pattern to the bucks I have on camera. The does pattern super easy but I have yet to be able to confidently say I’ve patterned a buck.
Posted By: daylate

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/28/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
IMO, you should place your camera out before season for 2 weeks and then take it down and move it. If you aint got him on camera in 2 weeks, well he aint in that area. I know a guy that keeps his camera on his feeder all the time and checks it weekly. Like some deer from 10 miles away is suddenly gonna take up at the feeder.

I must be hunting nomadic bucks because this is not true at all on my Barbour County property. Number 1 on the hit list will disappear for months at a time and then magically show up again, and this is not always during the rut. I have had pictures of him for 4 years now and there is no obvious repeating pattern to when he leaves or comes back. The only repeating pattern is that he turns nocturnal just before bow season each year and stays that way until just after gun season closes, regardless of human activity on the property. Of course during the rut, I get all kind of new bucks showing up on camera, all at night.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/28/19 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by daylate
I must be hunting nomadic bucks because this is not true at all on my Barbour County property. Number 1 on the hit list will disappear for months at a time and then magically show up again, and this is not always during the rut. I have had pictures of him for 4 years now and there is no obvious repeating pattern to when he leaves or comes back. The only repeating pattern is that he turns nocturnal just before bow season each year and stays that way until just after gun season closes, regardless of human activity on the property. Of course during the rut, I get all kind of new bucks showing up on camera, all at night.

I feel your pain and you know what's funny.... I have a buddy who leased in Barbour County for years (let it go this year because they went too high) who has bucks only show up during the season. All off-season he only has does on his couple of hundred acres but as soon as the season starts bucks start showing up like crazy and as soon as the season is over they leave. He's the type of guy that can fall into a bucket of d*cks and come out holding a snatch.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/28/19 11:40 PM

Last club I was in had some busybody guy who had cameras out all over the place. Damn guy screwed it up for everybody. A man must ask himself, "do i want pictures of bucks or dead bucks".

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/29/19 02:01 PM

I am not certain what I am doing different than many of you....

But, I have no problem at all getting pics of bucks OR killing them after locating them. Maybe it is a fluke??

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/29/19 02:07 PM

I am not certain what I am doing different than many of you....

But, I have no problem at all getting pics of bucks OR killing them after locating them. Maybe it is a fluke??

Low, average, or high deer density?

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/29/19 02:53 PM

Average

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/29/19 02:55 PM

And, for the past 20 years on numerous propertties.
I love trail cams. I bought one of the old original Cam Trackers back when they first came out.
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/29/19 03:45 PM

Run about 15 cams on 5k acres. Have been for years. Definitely helped with trigger restraint and have been able to zero in on a few good ones as a result of getting consistent pics in a certain area. Being that our lease is 7 hours away,it ain't like we're over pressuring them by checking them every 3 or 4 days. Generally let the cameras soak at least 2-3 weeks before checking them,usually longer. Really think that's the key. Year after year,I've seen the bucks group up together in preseason and visit the mineral sites on a very consistent basis; it all changes right around the bow opener/when velvet strips off,and they disperse. Then it's time to try and find their preferred winter home range.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 06/29/19 03:58 PM

I put cameras on feeders for inventory purposes. Don't use them otherwise.
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/09/19 12:36 AM

A hunter using game cameras just needs to show some discipline and intelligence in using them. They're a tool... use them as such. Giving up game cameras is like saying that you're giving up sex because you caught an STD. There's a lot said for being smart and disciplined about everything you do.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/12/19 12:40 PM

I use cameras just to see what is in the area. Most bucks caught on camera are night time deer and I never see them in the daytime.
Posted By: chris3954

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/12/19 05:24 PM

If you're going to run cams just a heads up think twice before buying spypoint..I'm in the middle of a simple repair under warranty..with multiple phone calls, emails, receipt and proof of purchase they're still giving me the run around..

I have however say I had a Moultrie cam repaired under warranty and can say their customer service is great...
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/13/19 02:05 AM

Anyone giving up cameras you can send them my way
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/13/19 03:26 AM

I've been questioning myself on whether to use cameras this year or not. Im the kind of guy that will see good bucks on camera on a Monday and lose sleep ALL week long until i get to hunt Saturday morning...i just get that antsy about it. I feel like i may be better off just being surprised of what shows up when I get it the stand.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/13/19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by DGAMBLER
I've been questioning myself on whether to use cameras this year or not. Im the kind of guy that will see good bucks on camera on a Monday and lose sleep ALL week long until i get to hunt Saturday morning...i just get that antsy about it. I feel like i may be better off just being surprised of what shows up when I get it the stand.

Yea but will you be able to hold steady when that excitement hits you in the stand? Before, you had a week to deal with the excitement. Now you’ll only have minutes if not just seconds.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/13/19 06:12 PM

Lol, I already get nervous with excitement when I see one in the field after looking at game pics. If that ever leaves me, I will just stop hunting.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/13/19 06:20 PM

Whats really cool is when you kill one and all your neighbors send you theyre pics and you aint got a dime in a battery or camera one holding him... thumbup TALK TO ME... beers

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/13/19 10:59 PM

AMEN to that brother! grin

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/15/19 04:24 PM

Do you want to kill bucks or just take pictures of them? That is the question. I gave em up and have been better off. Just stay out of the area. Had some guy in a club running dozens of them and he spooked up the whole damn place. Guy was always dicking around in the woods and leaving scent everywhere made em all nocturnal.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/16/19 05:50 PM

I used them until i got spoiled and bored. It became a waiting game for me. There aint much sport in it when im using a rifle and know exactly when each buck is likely to come by and where from. Like shooting ducks in a barrel for me.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/16/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
Do you want to kill bucks or just take pictures of them?

Both...

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/16/19 07:30 PM

Both...

I have two properties I hunt. One I never run cams on and the other I used to always run them. Last four mature bucks came off the one without cameras. Get pics of huge bucks on the other property but they always disappear or move at night. All I need to know. I would rather look at bucks on my wall than on my laptop.

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/16/19 10:11 PM

Both...

I have two properties I hunt. One I never run cams on and the other I used to always run them. Last four mature bucks came off the one without cameras. Get pics of huge bucks on the other property but they always disappear or move at night. All I need to know. I would rather look at bucks on my wall than on my laptop.

If that’s the case, then definitely avoid cameras. For whatever reason my deer don’t mind. Or maybe I’m just blissfully ignorant. Either way, pictures of good bucks keep me in the stand longer.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Giving up trail cameras - 07/17/19 05:01 PM

Both...

Being it's 2 different properties, the deer are in different environments so, it's really not a comparison... It also depends on how your cams are hung and how often they are checked. Another thing is when the pics were taken. Deer change areas as the different times of the year roll around. Not saying you're right or wrong, just stating a few facts.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM