Aldeer.com

Coosa hunting near Lay Dam

Posted By: AUHunter22

Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/07/19 12:26 AM

What's the reputation of deer hunting on the Coosa County side of Lay Lake up near the dam? Any big deer been killed in that area recently?
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/07/19 02:50 AM

I'd be interested to know as well, or what areas of Coosa are typically better. Quite a few clubs up that way and it would be pretty close to the house for me
Posted By: Wade

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/07/19 02:58 AM

.... only the ones swimming across the river.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/07/19 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wade

Lol you beat me to it .
Posted By: Farmer Brown

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/07/19 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by AUHunter22
What's the reputation of deer hunting on the Coosa County side of Lay Lake up near the dam? Any big deer been killed in that area recently?

I used to hunt there next to the lake. I killed the biggest deer of my life there. There wasn't as many, but they were big. I think they call that club, God's Country Hunting Club, now. The guy who use to run it had some problems. I believe a new group has it.
Posted By: Morris

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/07/19 04:14 AM

Chootem
Posted By: lances

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/07/19 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Morris

Chootem

Lol
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/07/19 12:33 PM

Got some really good turkey hunting! Nowhere close to Jackson Co but pretty dang good !
Posted By: sj22

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/07/19 01:24 PM

Used to hunt management area close to there and killed some nice deer but never anything really big, some steep hills around there
Posted By: LVS

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/07/19 08:47 PM

Like others have said, some nice bucks in that area but not what I would call really big. A 130” buck would be considered a real trophy by most in that area. Lots of turkey and snakes - of the rattler and cotton mouth variety.

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/08/19 02:08 AM

Thanks all. I’ve joined a club in that area. Obviously a lot of turkey and the potential for some good bucks based on the pictures I’ve seen. The land, in general, looks great. And thanks for the heads-up, I’ll keep an eye out for the snakes!
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/08/19 02:24 AM

Thanks all. I’ve joined a club in that area. Obviously a lot of turkey and the potential for some good bucks based on the pictures I’ve seen. The land, in general, looks great. And thanks for the heads-up, I’ll keep an eye out for the snakes!

What club did you join
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/08/19 03:21 PM

There ain't no big bucks or turkeys in coosa county y'all stay the hell out grin

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/08/19 03:28 PM

I saw that video. Some crazies out there no doubt!
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/13/19 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Farmer Brown

I used to hunt there next to the lake. I killed the biggest deer of my life there. There wasn't as many, but they were big. I think they call that club, God's Country Hunting Club, now. The guy who use to run it had some problems. I believe a new group has it.

I hunted that place years ago when it was Paint Creek HC. Absolute worst club I’ve ever been in. I saw 0 deer and heard 0 turkeys. Saw several deer with spots hanging from the skinning pole at the camp. I got out and joined Southeastern HC just across the road. A world of difference. Killed several nice bucks and a butt load of turkeys from SEHC.
Posted By: Morris

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/13/19 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
There ain't no big bucks or turkeys in coosa county y'all stay the hell out grin

I miss hunting over that way for sure
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/13/19 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Morris
Originally Posted by Coosa1

I miss hunting over that way for sure

There’s a huge difference in your old place and the area he’s talking about. I wouldn’t pay $300 to hunt most of that area. Made the mistake once never again.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/13/19 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by cgardner

I hunted that place years ago when it was Paint Creek HC. Absolute worst club I’ve ever been in. I saw 0 deer and heard 0 turkeys. Saw several deer with spots hanging from the skinning pole at the camp. I got out and joined Southeastern HC just across the road. A world of difference. Killed several nice bucks and a butt load of turkeys from SEHC.

This man knows what he is talking about. I was in Paint Creek when Regan had it. (The year the fellow got killed in the camper fire.) It spoke volumes to me how the officers and longer-term members couldn't wait for the management area hunts. Zero deer and very few turkeys.

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/13/19 12:23 PM

I was a member of SEHC 10 or 15 years ago. Place was covered up with turkeys back then. They cut most of it the year I got out.

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/14/19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey

This man knows what he is talking about. I was in Paint Creek when Regan had it. (The year the fellow got killed in the camper fire.) It spoke volumes to me how the officers and longer-term members couldn't wait for the management area hunts. Zero deer and very few turkeys.

I think Reagan now runs Backwater HC there. Claims it’s a QDMA club...ha ha ha. I personally saw him string up two deer one morning and both of them still had spots!!
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/14/19 07:12 PM

I heard one of the PCHC officers say one morning if "it's mostly brown, it's down". He had just finished skinning one that still had spots.
Posted By: Swampdrummin

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/15/19 05:18 AM

Hunted paint creek as a guest when I was 18. Heard a turkey gobble on a 26 degree morning while fee hunting but saw zero deer. Point me!
Posted By: Swampdrummin

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/15/19 05:20 AM

Actually herd two on that December morning now that the memory has been jogged.

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/18/19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey

I hunted that place years ago when it was Paint Creek HC. Absolute worst club I’ve ever been in. I saw 0 deer and heard 0 turkeys. Saw several deer with spots hanging from the skinning pole at th e camp. I got out and joined Southeastern HC just across the road. A world of difference. Killed several nice bucks and a butt load of turkeys from SEHC.

Raegan is posting ads all on FB looking for members. Claims to have 5400 acres now. Wonder if he picked up the rest of the old Paint Creek property?

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/18/19 07:08 PM

It says some is on lay and some is next to the wma. I’m guessing he got some of paints old land and some of the wma that they lost.
Posted By: Hix14

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/18/19 07:22 PM

I hunted in Paint Creek for 1 year. Saw a pig. No deer and no turkey! I don't blame him for shooting a spotted fawn...I may have been tempted. Lol. I'm joking but that was a LONG season!

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 03/19/19 01:59 AM

I killed 3 deer the year I was in paint and shot another nice buck but pretty sure it was a leg hit. The rest of the club killed 17-20 deer that year with a lot of them never seeing a deer. It was a bad club.

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 04/15/19 01:45 AM

For those saying the hunting in the Paint Creek/God's Country/Backwaters HC area was terrible - how long ago did you hunt it? The Backwaters land looked awesome in February when I toured it - really nice green fields with deer tracks and turkey crap everywhere. Seemed to have it together with the 3.5 rule, feeding program, restricted ATV/truck access to the property, ~130 acre/member, etc. I usually stay off the greenfields and hunt longer and harder than most others so if there's good deer there, I believe I can find and kill them. If they're not there though, I'm just screwed! LOL!

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 04/16/19 02:51 AM

For those saying the hunting in the Paint Creek/God's Country/Backwaters HC area was terrible - how long ago did you hunt it? The Backwaters land looked awesome in February when I toured it - really nice green fields with deer tracks and turkey crap everywhere. Seemed to have it together with the 3.5 rule, feeding program, restricted ATV/truck access to the property, ~130 acre/member, etc. I usually stay off the greenfields and hunt longer and harder than most others so if there's good deer there, I believe I can find and kill them. If they're not there though, I'm just screwed! LOL!

If you hunt hard you can kill a deer but it’s been 12 years since I hunted it actually.

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 02/19/20 12:14 AM

Well how'd your deer season go ?
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 02/19/20 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by !shiloh!
Well how'd your deer season go ?

Gene and Ragan have flooded the Web all Winter looking for members and are still at it. So I'm guessing not Good😆

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 02/19/20 12:53 AM

Where are those 2 clubs at ? I've been looking for a 2nd club and I spoke with a guy that's running a club near the dam. Sounded like a pretty good club.

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 02/20/20 02:38 PM

Look at Southeastern, Its just across the road from the old golf course

Re: Coosa hunting near Lay Dam - 08/15/20 04:54 AM

I didn't get down there much due to work and hunting closer to home with my son. There were some good deer killed by those who hunted it more. A good portion of two of the properties were logged during the year and that limited the property though. I will say that the turkey hunting is really good. I went once early season and didn't get on them but then went back twice near season end and the turkeys seemed to be everywhere. Lots of pigs too. I didn't get back into the club this year but it's mostly because my schedule didn't allow me to get down there enough to be worth my money. I didn't have any problems with Ragan - seemed to be a quality guy and treated me well.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM