Aldeer.com

No acorns next fall?

Posted By: slippinlipjr

No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 02:20 AM

All of the trees have budded out here in LA. They have been for a while. Every oak tree is in full bloom. The forecast next week calls for a possible hard freeze. If this happens of course the new growth will be killed back. So, will there be any acorns next fall if this occurs? Are there some trees that are more susceptible to having their crop destroyed by a freeze than others? I know red oaks take 18 months to mature their crop.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 02:39 AM

It will have to freeze pretty hard / long duration time to make a big difference I believe.
Posted By: Semo

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 03:31 AM

I don't have perfect recall but the research I've seen predicts acorn production as more of a result of humidity, windspeed, and rainfall occuring during the 7-10 days during pollination. The old timers ( including info passed down to me) believed that early frost's were the determining factor of acorn production, but like I said at least the research I've seen points to these other factors as being better determinants.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 04:28 AM

Itll make corn work better . Lol
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 05:05 AM

All of my sawtooth are tassled out right now. If we get a hard freeze like I expect we will, they won't produce acorns this fall. It happened last year and I had no acorns on them this fall
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 05:38 AM

Well you better hope for the New Green Deal and stop eating hamburgers if you expect the weather to straighten out.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 05:43 AM

The red oaks will BE LOADED NEXT YEAR!!! White Oaks were a once a 10 year this season so the Red Oaks will be breaking limbs. But the white oaks will be toast this year.
Posted By: lances

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Well you better hope for the New Green Deal and stop eating hamburgers if you expect the weather to straighten out.

[Linked Image]

lmao
Print this out to make a good scare crow. Sure scares me when I look at it
Posted By: Remington270

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by slippinlipjr
All of the trees have budded out here in LA. They have been for a while. Every oak tree is in full bloom. The forecast next week calls for a possible hard freeze. If this happens of course the new growth will be killed back. So, will there be any acorns next fall if this occurs? Are there some trees that are more susceptible to having their crop destroyed by a freeze than others? I know red oaks take 18 months to mature their crop.

I hear this same thing every single year. Whether it's oak trees, or fruit trees, the doomsday scenarios are always wrong. I've never seen a year without akerns or peaches/pears.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 02:24 PM

Our sawtooths and white oak were none existing and water oaks were limited this year. Hope we get some this coming season, but if not, the corn and soybean fields will feed them. Just means I need to get started and plant more :-)
Posted By: olemossy

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 02:27 PM

We had no Sawtooth this past year. Hoping for better this year.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 02:27 PM

[Linked Image]

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by olemossy
We had no Sawtooth this past year. Hoping for better this year.

Same
Posted By: James

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/27/19 05:33 PM

Decent crop for us this past year, probably reason why our deer sightings were lower than the year before (acorn crop sucked year before) I think It would be awesome if every single hunter didn't plant a single field or put out feed for a season, I guarantee we'd see and shoot the chit out of deer lol.
Posted By: TR

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/28/19 04:07 PM

First time in at least 10 years we had no red oak or white oak acorns in SE Winston County.
Posted By: jhardy

Re: No acorns next fall? - 02/28/19 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by TR
First time in at least 10 years we had no red oak or white oak acorns in SE Winston County.

Same as us on the south Wilcox county line.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/01/19 03:21 AM

We formed a new club in Tuscaloosa county. No white oaks and just a small handful of reds. Hopefully it will be better next year. Not sure how it affected us deer wise
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/02/19 01:19 AM

I hunt 5 different counties and didn’t see a good white oak acorn this season.

All my fields are short as putting greens.
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/02/19 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by lances

[Linked Image]

lmao

Unpopular opinion(and y’all don’t hang me): but she’s not a bad lookin’ woman..
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/02/19 01:36 AM

1987 set up just like this but a little later in the year. April 8 of that year t was 20 degrees, sleeting/snowing and a 20 mph wind from the north. EVERYTHING got frozen out. No fruit trees had fruit. No mast trees produced mast.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/02/19 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
1987 set up just like this but a little later in the year. April 8 of that year t was 20 degrees, sleeting/snowing and a 20 mph wind from the north. EVERYTHING got frozen out. No fruit trees had fruit. No mast trees produced mast.

I think the summer of '87 there was a sever drought that ran well into fall.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/02/19 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nightwatchman

[Linked Image]

lmao

That bitch is more scary than Pelosi, think about it..............

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/02/19 04:57 AM

Oh, no Sir she ain’t, and never will be a s scary as the old school politicians. I predict this girl will have an accident whilst out hiking or a robbery gone bad if she keeps it up. Nobody kills like an old school politician. The kingmakers will let her develope a following that can be transferred to a replacement, then whack!
Posted By: Ben2

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/02/19 01:22 PM

[Linked Image]

lmao

Compared to the other women in white jackets she sat with at the state of the union she is a fire ball
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/02/19 03:47 PM

Come on guys yall know you have all thought about where she scores on the crazy hot scale... back to acorns.
Posted By: Archery_Fanatic

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/02/19 05:53 PM

I hope this bow season is anything but what we had this past fall. We hunt 2400 acres in southwest Colbert County and not a single red oak or white oak had acorns. We walked the property all bow season and couldn’t find a single acorn when they are normally raining acrons

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/02/19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jallencrockett
Come on guys yall know you have all thought about where she scores on the crazy hot scale... back to acorns.

The scary part is if the Kingmakers decided she is the new boss and the future.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: No acorns next fall? - 03/02/19 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2

[Linked Image]

lmao

Compared to the other women in white jackets she sat with at the state of the union she is a fire ball

is that the momo thing?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM