Aldeer.com

6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo

Posted By: chasenfish16

6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 07:10 PM

I just purchased a Savage axis II 6.5 creedmoor for deer hunting. Can every one tell me the brand and grain bullets you are using and the experience you have had with them?
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 07:32 PM

It’s a creedmore, doesn’t matter what grain you use it will kill, even if you hit em in the azz from 1000yds.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 07:32 PM

With the creed you dont even really need ammo. All you have to do is just carry it in the woods with you and the deer will just fall dead around you.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 07:41 PM

Barnes lrx 127 grain. I’m really happy with it
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by abolt300
With the creed you dont even really need ammo. All you have to do is just carry it in the woods with you and the deer will just fall dead around you.

Yep, I've seen it happen.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 07:51 PM

Truth. But be careful. You can quickly harvest too many deer per acre just by walking around with it

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by lefthorn

Truth. But be careful. You can quickly harvest too many deer per acre just by walking around with it

I've been on some properties where the stench of all the rotting deer carcasses from mass Creedmoor killing would make you puke. Buzzards circled by the thousands and you had to wear a helmet to avoid being bombed by the buzzards.
Posted By: BobF

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 08:27 PM

hornady precision hunter eld-x 143gr

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 08:27 PM

It's almost, dare I say it, because I know that some on here absolutely will not believe it, but the Creed is at least three to four times more deadly on deer than a .223 shooting 55gr FMJ. That should tell you how careful you need to be because before the Creed became popular, everyone knew that the undisputed deadliest caliber in the deer woods was that massive powerhouse of a deer killer the .223. Before it is over they will probably change the name from the 6.5 Creedmore to the 6.5 Anthrax or the 6.5 Small Pox or the 6.5 Bubonic Plague. It really is that deadly. Heed the warnings or you wont have any deer left on your property to hunt after your first trip to the woods with it.
Posted By: mman

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 08:30 PM

In the past 2 years, I've killed 8 deer with my 6.5 CM. 7 of them dropped in their tracks and one ran 50-75 yards (5 bucks and 3 does). I am using the Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X and they are 143 grains I think. I shot at Bullet and Barrel indoor range and had a 1/2 group at 100 yards with this factor ammo. I don't always get an exit wound but it doesn't matter since they are DRT. The internal damage is substantial. I am EXTREMELY pleased with them.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by twaldrop4
Barnes lrx 127 grain. I’m really happy with it

My rifle (browning hells canyon speed) does not like the 127gr LRX for some reason. I can't get anything better than 3 inches with them.
Posted By: burbank

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 08:53 PM

Hornady has a special round for the 6.5 creed called gods wrath. Just get it close and something is dying....
Posted By: Moose24

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by mman
In the past 2 years, I've killed 8 deer with my 6.5 CM. 7 of them dropped in their tracks and one ran 50-75 yards (5 bucks and 3 does). I am using the Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X and they are 143 grains I think. I shot at Bullet and Barrel indoor range and had a 1/2 group at 100 yards with this factor ammo. I don't always get an exit wound but it doesn't matter since they are DRT. The internal damage is substantial. I am EXTREMELY pleased with them.

X2 ^ - My buddies and I have experienced the same regarding no exit wound but good internal damage.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Moose24

X2 ^ - My buddies and I have experienced the same regarding no exit wound but good internal damage.

I can't believe a deer could absorb all of that energy and you could still find anything more than a smoldering pile of burnt hair. Doesn't the creed have 20,000 ft lbs at 1000 yards?
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 09:10 PM

Now that most of the peanut gallery has spoken up, I will give some useful info for the question asked. We shoot the 140gr federal fusion and has performed great and everything we shot with it never took a step. My buddy has the axis2 also and shoots the 129gr Interlock and it also performed great. Bullet exited everytime and left great blood trails. All were recovered within 50yds.
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 09:30 PM

this: hornady precision hunter eld-x 143gr
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 09:31 PM

Seems to be a group that's triggered by mention of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I don't get it.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

I can't believe a deer could absorb all of that energy and you could still find anything more than a smoldering pile of burnt hair. Doesn't the creed have 20,000 ft lbs at 1000 yards?

Please tell me that you're loading down for a kid to shoot or something AU338! If you aren't getting a muzzle velo of at least 5,000 fps and 30,000+ foot pounds of energy at 1000 yds with the 6.5, you aint doing something right. Heck you can come close to those numbers I just quoted with an 18" barreled Creed shooting off the shelf ammo.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 09:45 PM

Please tell me that you're loading down for a kid to shoot or something AU338! If you aren't getting a muzzle velo of at least 5,000 fps and 30,000+ foot pounds of energy at 1000 yds with the 6.5, you aint doing something right. Heck you can come close to those numbers I just quoted with an 18" barreled Creed shooting off the shelf ammo.

No need to load the creed down because it magically dissipates recoil no matter how hot you load it. I load it down so that I can salvage a couple pounds of meat from the deer that I shoot with it, and I have to use a 9" barreled AR pistol to get down to those numbers. Load it too hot and deer will be vaporized.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by lefthorn

Just keep the bolt open and the magazine out when your walking around and you’ll be ok. If you have to walk close to a bedding area keep it in a soft case til you get to your stand.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 09:56 PM

Wow, Taylor Swift was right, "Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate"

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 10:00 PM

Where's the hate man? Just extolling the virtues of the great Creed. grin
Posted By: Dean

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 10:01 PM

Deer are not the only animals that need to fear the 6.5
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
hornady precision hunter eld-x 143gr

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 10:05 PM

AU338, I am very familiar with the full vaporization of a deer. I shot one and all I found were about 10 hairs stuck in the side of an oak tree probably 60 yards from the hit site. I had a game cam behind the deer when I shot it and the picture just happened to take just as the bullet hit the deer. There is just a bright flash of light where it exits and the blood spray looks like its on fire coming out. That probably explains why there's no blood at the hit sites. It just burns up while in the air from the excessive heat generated. If you're getting a couple pounds of meat loading it down out of a 9", I'll have to try that because you can put the total amount of meat I've been able to salvage from multiple animals in a sewing thimble.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 10:05 PM

Man it’s a shame that such a great cartridge got ruined by stupid people on the internet.

With that being said ELD-X, Barnes, accubonds or fusions will work just fine.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 10:07 PM

Rumor is, the 6.5 is so good, Hillary touched one and started to melt.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/04/19 11:37 PM

AU338, I am very familiar with the full vaporization of a deer. I shot one and all I found were about 10 hairs stuck in the side of an oak tree probably 60 yards from the hit site. I had a game cam behind the deer when I shot it and the picture just happened to take just as the bullet hit the deer. There is just a bright flash of light where it exits and the blood spray looks like its on fire coming out. That probably explains why there's no blood at the hit sites. It just burns up while in the air from the excessive heat generated. If you're getting a couple pounds of meat loading it down out of a 9", I'll have to try that because you can put the total amount of meat I've been able to salvage from multiple animals in a sewing thimble.

Aim for the lower part of the front leg, no higher than the second ball joint. If you go higher its just a scorched Mark in the field from the spontaneous combustion that occurs when the mighty Creed hits full body mass.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 12:58 AM

I've been pleased with Federal Fusion and Hornady Precision Hunters.
But I've also used Hornady Black 140gr HPBT.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 01:32 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ALarcher

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 04:26 PM

I've had good luck out of the Hornady 143gr ELDX. One buck I did not recover but I blame it on poor shot placement on my part. I've shot 4 other deer with it this year, all at 500-600 (one at 815) and all dropped in their tracks. That being said, this is a smaller bullet with obviously much less velocity than your typical hunting rifles (270, 30-06, 7mm, etc.). I like it because it is an extremely fun target load that can be adapted to hunting, but it is at the lower limits of what I feel comfortable hunting with. And the ELDX is designed for expansion at long range. I don't think it does as well at expanding at long range as the same bullet does in larger calibers though.

People hate on it on ALDEER for a few reasons 1) They haven't shot it 2) It's popular in mainstream crowds 3) They haven't shot it

Here's a video from a couple weeks ago. I shot this doe (below) at 560 using the 143gr ELDX. Lighting didn't come from the sky to strike her down and she didn't evaporate, but the job got done more than humanely and probably better than Joe Blow with diddy's 30-06.

Ignore the stupid laughing, this is the second one at that distance we'd got that day on camera, so we were pretty excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2XIU0nlmRM

And I'll go ahead and address the long list of people who are about to come on here and say it is irresponsible to shoot deer this far. IT ABSOLUTELY IS... if you have not spent the required time (weeks at all different conditions, temps, etc.) to ensure you can make the shot. With that said, and to address your original question, go with ELDX if you are shooting within 500yds and I don't think you can go wrong. If you are not getting good results maybe try something with a slightly thinner jacket.

JB

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 04:34 PM

Folks, we're just having fun on here, no hatred for the creed here. If your skin is so thin as to be offended by silly postings on an internet forum, that's too bad for you. Laugh and have a good time...
Posted By: bama1971

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ALarcher
I've had good luck out of the Hornady 143gr ELDX. One buck I did not recover but I blame it on poor shot placement on my part. I've shot 4 other deer with it this year, all at 500-600 (one at 815) and all dropped in their tracks. That being said, this is a smaller bullet with obviously much less velocity than your typical hunting rifles (270, 30-06, 7mm, etc.). I like it because it is an extremely fun target load that can be adapted to hunting, but it is at the lower limits of what I feel comfortable hunting with. And the ELDX is designed for expansion at long range. I don't think it does as well at expanding at long range as the same bullet does in larger calibers though.

People hate on it on ALDEER for a few reasons 1) They haven't shot it 2) It's popular in mainstream crowds 3) They haven't shot it

Here's a video from a couple weeks ago. I shot this doe (below) at 560 using the 143gr ELDX. Lighting didn't come from the sky to strike her down and she didn't evaporate, but the job got done more than humanely and probably better than Joe Blow with diddy's 30-06.

Ignore the stupid laughing, this is the second one at that distance we'd got that day on camera, so we were pretty excited.

And I'll go ahead and address the long list of people who are about to come on here and say it is irresponsible to shoot deer this far. IT ABSOLUTELY IS... if you have not spent the required time (weeks at all different conditions, temps, etc.) to ensure you can make the shot. With that said, and to address your original question, go with ELDX if you are shooting within 500yds and I don't think you can go wrong. If you are not getting good results maybe try something with a slightly thinner jacket.

JB

that is badass. I looked at the 6.5 Christensen at Walter Craig a couple of weeks ago at their Christmas sale. Wish I had picked one up
[Linked Image]

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 04:43 PM

Folks, we're just having fun on here, no hatred for the creed here. If your skin is so thin as to be offended by silly postings on an internet forum, that's too bad for you. Laugh and have a good time...

Just sending it both ways my man. It's all good, just didn't want the original poster to question his decision on purchasing the most deadly weapon ever invented by man...

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 04:47 PM

I've carried my new 6.5 all season and it hasn't killed anything yet. Did I buy a defective gun?
Posted By: alhawk

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
I've carried my new 6.5 all season and it hasn't killed anything yet. Did I buy a defective gun?

Yes, yes you did. Probably mislabeled and you might be sticking the wrong ammo in it laugh

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 05:16 PM

Haven't you read the posts above? If you have a round in the chamber every deer within a 100 yards of you will drop dead in it's tracks. Keep the bolt open until the target is acquired.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 05:30 PM

Haven't you read the posts above? If you have a round in the chamber every deer within a 100 yards of you will drop dead in it's tracks. Keep the bolt open until the target is acquired.

That explains it! I've been hunting a lot of thick stuff and they must be dropping dead before they get into sight. dang I need to go walk around my stands and see what all I've got over the last few weeks.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 05:49 PM

That would definitely be a wise move Coosa. No telling how many monster bucks you've killed. Bring a GW with you since I am 100% positive that you unknowingly harvested way over the 3 buck limit. Just tell him that you did not realize the overwhelming power of what you were carrying and that you now know and will be significantly more careful. With the popularity of the creed, it is happening multiple times a day all over the state. GWs have been made aware and were told to be lenient on first offenders.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 05:50 PM

I took it on a bucks only gun hunt on Hollins the other day too, I wonder how many does died because of my unknowing negligence. I feel terrible now!

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 05:56 PM

slap You what?????? You need to go ahead and apologize to all the guys on this forum that hunt Hollins. I just hope you didnt wander around with it and you went straight to and from your stand. Otherwise, Hollins is probably completely depopulated. Some of y'all need to learn that "with carrying a creed, there comes great responsibility".

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 06:06 PM

Maybe they'll send the good looking lady game warden to come pick me up for my crimes

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 06:13 PM

One must remember to always Capitalize the C when speaking of The Creed. Failure to do so may get you an internet azz whoopin'.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 06:50 PM

JB

Good post. Enjoyed the video.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by alhawk
One must remember to always Capitalize the C when speaking of The Creed. Failure to do so may get you an internet azz whoopin'.

^this man understands CreedLyfe
Posted By: M48scout

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 08:01 PM

The original 6.5 Creedmore (if I could figure out how to post pictures )

https://imgur.com/a/7kkLRoK

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 08:14 PM

Maybe they'll send the good looking lady game warden to come pick me up for my crimes

She knows karate and other stuff that will tear you up. Be careful what you ask for or you may end up with that Creed sticking outta your azz.
Posted By: bama1971

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by alhawk

^this man understands CreedLyfe

[Linked Image]

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/05/19 08:29 PM

She knows karate and other stuff that will tear you up. Be careful what you ask for or you may end up with that Creed sticking outta your azz.

She can whoop up on me anytime laugh but I'll have to pass on taking a rifle to the bum.
Posted By: Budweiser

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/07/19 02:17 PM

hornady precision hunter eld-x 143gr -I was introduced to 6.5 during a pronghorn hunt in WY. The ranch owner was into competitive long range shooting and we shot some of his custom 26 nosler and 6.5 creedmore rifles on his range and were really impressed with both. They even use 6.5 for elk which I found hard to believe. I traded in a youth model 243 for my 6.5 for potential long shots in new clear cut lease here in AL. Shot 1st deer with it a few days ago. It was awkward shot angle through thick stuff and I made a not so great shot hitting deer behind last rib with the Hornady round but exiting about mid rib on other side. Probably got some liver, deer didn't go 30 feet, Good luck.
Posted By: lances

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/07/19 04:39 PM

Makes for good reading lol
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/07/19 06:53 PM

This is internet gold.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/07/19 07:24 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/07/19 09:35 PM

Jmud, I laughed
Posted By: biscuit1979

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/07/19 10:44 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BPI

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/07/19 10:49 PM

BWAHAHAHAHHAAAA !!!!! Oh my goodness !!!!! Best meme I've seen in awhile.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/08/19 01:45 AM

[Linked Image]

However you feel about this caliber this 200+ pound deer is very convinced that it’s pretty bad
Posted By: scrape

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/08/19 01:47 AM

don't let these folks intimidate you out of shooting the creed. just pull up your man panties and (bun) and shoot that thang.
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/08/19 02:53 AM

With all the hype for this paper puncher round you should just be able to shoot blanks and the deer just fall over thinking they was hit with it.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/08/19 08:36 PM

Heard the 6.5 Creed is so deadly they are gonna have to add a new hunting season to accomodate it. We will have archery season, muzzleloader season, gun season and 6.5 Creed season, which lasts for only one minute.
Posted By: birdcarver

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/12/19 10:07 PM

H
Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
Heard the 6.5 Creed is so deadly they are gonna have to add a new hunting season to accomodate it. We will have archery season, muzzleloader season, gun season and 6.5 Creed season, which lasts for only one minute.

Hope so
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/12/19 10:27 PM

this thread is classic ...
Posted By: Karl9

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/13/19 12:35 AM

I saw some pics the other day of a herd of deer supposedly killed by lightning, after reading this I think it might have been The Creed.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/13/19 03:41 AM

Confucious say "one may take a deer with any gun, but to truly KILL a deer, one must use a Creed".

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/13/19 03:44 AM

The Creed is such a cool gun, i heard gun counter salespersons will refuse to sell them to anyone not wearing skinny jeans and a bolo tie.
Posted By: biscuit1979

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/13/19 03:18 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/13/19 04:12 PM

I'm starting to see a trend here.

1) You love the gun because it's a great caliber for deer sized animals
2) You make fun of the gun because that's what sheeple do

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/13/19 04:44 PM

I'm starting to see a trend here.

1) You love the gun because it's a great caliber for deer sized animals
2) You make fun of the gun because that's what sheeple do

Most of this is just joking. I don't see as much talk here, but in many other forums and especially some Facebook sites, many of the owners act as if no other caliber can compare. .270 and 30-06 with core Lokt have killed thousands of deer, just not as dead as with The Creed.

Re: 6.5 creedmoor deer hunting ammo - 02/13/19 05:03 PM

They always teach kids in history that the atomic bomb was used on Hiroshima but I am wondering if they were just test firing the CReed.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM