Aldeer.com

Grinding deer meat

Posted By: Powpow65

Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 04:58 AM

I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Do I need to add any beef fat or anything else to the ground deer? It's all gonna be made into jerky.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 05:06 AM

I’ve heard some only use straight venison for jerky. Not sure if that’s the case to make jerky period or just a personal preference.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 05:07 AM

Don't add fat to make jerky. You add it to make hamburger or sausage.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tigger85
Don't add fat to make jerky. You add it to make hamburger or sausage.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 06:40 AM

I don’t want fat added to any of my ground deer meat.

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 08:08 AM

Good deal thanks
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 10:04 AM

Not sure how good of grinder you have, but putting chunks in the freezer for awhile and getting it cold will grind easier.
Posted By: Luxfisher

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 11:13 AM

Grind with no fat,get you a jerky shooter ,makes job a lot easier.
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BowtechDan
Not sure how good of grinder you have, but putting chunks in the freezer for awhile and getting it cold will grind easier.

X2 - with no fat.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 12:37 PM

No fat. Also if you can freeze it a little before grinding it. It grinds better when it’s firm and cold versus room temp.

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 01:52 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm about to get started. I'm excited to start doing my own deer and hope it turns out good. I'm sure there will definitely be a learning process
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 02:04 PM

Jerky with venison alone is pretty awesome stuff. Especially if you use Lems jerky seasoning.

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 05:27 PM

I've never used Lems, just the stuff they have at academy. Backwoods I think it's called but I like it. Wife got me a jerky gun and dehydrator for Christmas a couple years ago and i don't do jerky any other way now. Just upgraded to the jerky cannon so it should cut my reload time way down
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 05:35 PM

The Backwoods seasoning is good. Just don’t wing it on the measurements, follow the instructions they provide to the letter and it’ll turn out great.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 08:49 PM

Just did 5lbs of jerky this morning using the lem jerk cannon and their hot seasoning. Took about an hour to mix up and make into sticks and about 2.5 hours in oven. By far the easiest way to do it. And the kids love it.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Grinding deer meat - 01/26/19 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Powpow65
Thanks for the info, I'm about to get started. I'm excited to start doing my own deer and hope it turns out good. I'm sure there will definitely be a learning process

Be sure to cut as much tallow off as you can. You won't get it all, but definitely remove as much as possible. It's not like beef or pork fat and hurts flavor.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM