Aldeer.com

Pick up your processed deer.

Posted By: Dave_H

Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 06:58 PM

I picked up my deer from Jenkins in Gurley. He said he has had to stop processing because his freezer is full of deer waiting to get picked up.

I suspect other processors are having similar problems.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 07:03 PM

Yep. My processor took in 200 deer in 2days. Doe days of course.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77

How many doe days are there in that area now?
Posted By: gman

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 07:37 PM

The processor that did my son's doe cant complain. He never contacted us to come pick it up. We finally called and got "oh, yeah, its been ready".

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270

How many doe days are there in that area now?

1week in november and 1week the last week of december

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 07:55 PM

They called me yesterday evening about 6:00 and said "its ready please come asap, were out of room in freezer". The meat had not been frozen yet. I went on right then and got it.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 08:13 PM

I use Alton as well and always pick up when they call. He does a great job. The japineo & cheese sticks he makes are great.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 08:16 PM

That seems a common theme with every processor.
I told our local processor they ought to start collecting the minimum fee up front.
Just can't understand why anybody takes a deer to the processor and then won't come get the meat.
If you don't want the meat, why take it?
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
I told our local processor they ought to start collecting the minimum fee up front.
Just can't understand why anybody takes a deer to the processor and then won't come get the meat.

I agree they should charge a drop off fee as part of the cost. It would add an incentive to pick up the meat when ready. Processor I'm using weighs it and gives you a price when you drop off your deer. Maybe charge 25% as a drop off charge.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dave_H
I picked up my deer from Jenkins in Gurley. He said he has had to stop processing because his freezer is full of deer waiting to get picked up.

Where is this. I'll go buy some that hasn't been picked up.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 08:44 PM

I took a smaller deer I killed and wrote donate on the tag.
Posted By: AUdeerhunter

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 09:13 PM

Agreed!! Same thing happens all the time to taxidermists and I can’t understand that either confused
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 10:29 PM

In the exuberance of the kill, some guys take in the deer and as the excitement fades and they realize how much $ they owe the processor they try to wiggle out of the deal. Know a guy who took in three deer and was on the hook for over $250 of meat and smoked sausages.

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
In the exuberance of the kill, some guys take in the deer and as the excitement fades and they realize how much $ they owe the processor they try to wiggle out of the deal. Know a guy who took in three deer and was on the hook for over $250 of meat and smoked sausages.

You dont even want to know what I paid for 2deer a couple weeks ago, all specialty meats, 120lb of meat. I was thinking it would be 70-80lb, somewhere around $250. Not even close. Im pretty sure they sold me some meat somebody else left cause theres no way the 2deer I left there made 120lb of meat.
Posted By: capehorn24

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by AUwrestler
Originally Posted by Dave_H

Where is this. I'll go buy some that hasn't been picked up.

Originally Posted by AUwrestler

I took a smaller deer I killed and wrote donate on the tag.

Kindda cofused with your back to back post, i'll buy some meat to help out, then I donated one.

One a side note when a deer is donated is the processor paid for their efforts or do they have to eat their efforts?
Posted By: kkfish

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/17/19 11:01 PM

Always pick mine up within a day or two of call. If u gonna play u gotta pay.
Posted By: bobwallace

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/18/19 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by top cat
I use Alton as well and always pick up when they call. He does a great job. The japineo & cheese sticks he makes are great.

Alton’s wife just called me about an hour ago and let me know that the deer I dropped off last Friday is done. At home with a 4 year old that has a stomach virus, so I’m gonna have to go by tomorrow. And those jalapeño and cheee sticks are some count.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/18/19 02:57 AM

I use Carl's in Loxley. It is basically like making a doctor's appointment to pick up your meat there and you must pick it up after a few days.
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/18/19 03:16 AM

You dont even want to know what I paid for 2deer a couple weeks ago, all specialty meats, 120lb of meat. I was thinking it would be 70-80lb, somewhere around $250. Not even close. Im pretty sure they sold me some meat somebody else left cause theres no way the 2deer I left there made 120lb of meat.

Depending on the specialty meats they usually add atleast 20% fat. Some also add pork in some sausages
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/18/19 01:29 PM

Yep I got surprised by a $378 bill for one deer at Jimmy's in Midland City a few years ago. Had to wait for the next paycheck on that one ha.
Posted By: dreadpiratebob

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/18/19 03:05 PM

Mr. Jenkins is a top notch man, and does a great job... hopefully I see him this weekend... I may drop by and ask him if he needs me to clear out some of that freezer space for him, especially if he's had it for 4-5 weeks.

But on a semi-serious note, I've killed a deer, and then had to go on a last minute work trip for 2 weeks.. sometimes makes it hard to pick up on time. I could certainly understand charging a 10-20% fee up front.
Posted By: wheelgun

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/19/19 04:43 AM

If I was doing it, I would ask for a big deposit that would basically pay for what they wanted and if they didnt show up when called, I would donate to a food bank.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/19/19 12:15 PM

Since we can't bring deer from TN to our favorite processor we had to find a new one up there. Dropped 2 small deer and a big doe a few weeks ago. They're ready now for $256 and the only 'specialty' is one small deer made into seasoned burger that they pushed kinda aggressively. We don't normally get any burger seasoned or with fat added. We'll be finding another processor before next season..
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/19/19 12:27 PM

I dropped 6 hams, 6 back straps, and 6 loins off to be cubed, ground and packaged. $210 and the meat I got back didn’t even fill a paper grocery sack.

The guy never called to let me know it was ready, and wouldn’t answer the phone when I called. If he is out of freezer space it is on him. I’ll use the other processor in town.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/19/19 01:42 PM

Man these bad stories make me glad I use Souths Finest Deer processor for specialty sausage and cuts and the Heiberger Grocery for normal cuts and burger.
Posted By: imadeerhntr

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/19/19 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives

Who do you use?
Posted By: rackhunter'

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/19/19 02:11 PM

I dropped off a deer on the first day of January. Gave it 2 weeks without hearing anything and checked in on it. Said they were real busy and wasn’t ready yet . Just checked on it again and still not ready after 3 weeks. Damn deer is gonna be some aged meat
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/19/19 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by slippinlipjr
I use Carl's in Loxley. It is basically like making a doctor's appointment to pick up your meat there and you must pick it up after a few days.

Yep, plus you pay in full up front..
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Pick up your processed deer. - 01/19/19 02:16 PM

damn, ya'll paying some crazy prices. I paid $55 each for two deer cut into burger and cube steaks. I dropped em off quartered and in coolers. The day I can't skin and quarter a deer I'll quit hunting em.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM