Aldeer.com

150" deer spinoff

Posted By: 257wbymag

150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 02:45 AM

So how damn many 3 yr olds can this state kill??? Seems like it's gonna be a lot. Most kill pics posted are 3. I know the true killers don't post old deer or any deer but damn this state kills a bunch of future good deer
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 02:54 AM

Depends on where I am. I'll pass deer in some locations that I would kill others. Depends on what the locals do.

If they are killing everything that moves, I will too. If they show restraint, I will pass all the 3's
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 03:06 AM

Hunting public land, I'll highly likely take a 3 year old.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 03:13 AM

I post an old one or two but I am not one of the true killers. Have not killed a 3 yr old in long while.
Posted By: bdw32

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 03:22 AM

Not enough properties on a strict buck management plan.. especially neighbors. I don’t like it but it is what it is.
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 03:29 AM

We only shoot age and we kill big mature deer consistently. I’m not saying we kill a lot because it takes time and discretion and patience. As a strict club rule we aren’t allowed to post pictures of the deer we kill. Lost lips sink ships.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 03:49 AM

I’ve passed a bunch over the past 5 years ...up until Thursday lol.
Posted By: Auburn_03

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:02 AM

I measured a 115” eleven point this morning that was a 3.5 year old that a neighbor killed. It had the potential to be something special in a couple of years.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:03 AM

257.....we are light years behind others in management goals for our deer. Here in Alabama, I believe 99% of hunters think a 3 yo is a mature deer. As you probably know, when you go to Texas, Iowa, Kansas, etc...the mindset is just different. I guess it really depends on your goals. I will say, it will surprise most how big they will get even in this state if you let them get to 5 years old. Most people just can’t pass them up. I also worry about the mindset of slaughtering all the does. Have seen first hand the negative impact of shooting to many does.
Posted By: Morris

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:05 AM

Quailman needs to stay outta da woods. Bamaturkeykilla also. Baby killers
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:07 AM

I killed a 2 year old the other day. 257, not everyone owns countless acres of prime farmland where they can consistently see 20 deer in a sit. Some of us hunt places that we could be kicked off of tomorrow and feel pretty good if we even see a deer when we go. We have to take what is given. I’d gladly kill a 3 year old 8 point tomorrow and it would be the biggest buck I’ve killed in 2 years. Just be thankful for what you have and don’t worry about what everyone else does.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:09 AM

See that's the mindset I was talking about. Always worried about the neighbors gunshot
Posted By: James

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Morris
Quailman needs to stay outta da woods. Bamaturkeykilla also. Baby killers

Yep
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:11 AM

If you've ever seen a 5 or 6 yr old buck, they're built like a yearling steer and their legs look so short it looks like they've been cut off at the knees. There is no mistaking them, even a 4 yr old doesn't look like them
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:12 AM

Loose lips sink ships....

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:13 AM

The state needs to put a regulation that you can’t kill a buck unless it’s five years or older. Three does per hunter. Alabama would be the richest hunting state because we would have trophy bucks that people would pay to come hunt. Most out of townees wouldn’t kill much cause they don’t know how to hunt them but would bring a lot of money into al and keep our bucks protected. Let them grow you don’t know they will grow an afro

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:14 AM

See Whild bill gets it. Afro deer are shooters. Not these dinks
Posted By: Zkd22

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:14 AM

We don’t shoot any 3 year olds. I’m sure the neighbors do but I can’t control that. I’m trying to shoot a big mature buck and not shooting 3 year olds gives me the best chance. I’m also ok not killing one every year
Posted By: turkey247

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer
If you've ever seen a 5 or 6 yr old buck, they're built like a yearling steer and their legs look so short it looks like they've been cut off at the knees. There is no mistaking them, even a 4 yr old doesn't look like them

Not so fast. Totally depends on location and varies from deer to deer. A lot of skinny southern deer could live and die of old age and look very similar from age 2 to whenever. We killed a lot of bucks in the Tombigbee River area that would age 5+, weigh anywhere from 130-175 lbs, and have anything from twisted cowhorn spikes to 115” 8’s.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:26 AM

I don't shoot one unless it gets my heart pumping. It may be a 2 yr old 8, a 4 pt or a 5 yr old 12 pt. If I want to shoot it I will.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by tfd1224
I killed a 2 year old the other day. 257, not everyone owns countless acres of prime farmland where they can consistently see 20 deer in a sit. Some of us hunt places that we could be kicked off of tomorrow and feel pretty good if we even see a deer when we go. We have to take what is given. I’d gladly kill a 3 year old 8 point tomorrow and it would be the biggest buck I’ve killed in 2 years. Just be thankful for what you have and don’t worry about what everyone else does.

Matt hunts a small property. He doesn’t have countless acres

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:28 AM

Troof but I do see double digits nearly every sit. Just don't pressure em much

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:29 AM

This is why we starting building our sanctuaries so our neighbors wouldn’t kill our young bucks. It’s what started the sanctuary so we could keep maintain grow and when the time is right take the mature buck. It’s all about building the sanctuary and they will come and stay. Learning how to inner act with it it another story. But you must build it until the regs change. We just know what works for us. And it’s working
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
I don't shoot one unless it gets my heart pumping. It may be a 2 yr old 8, a 4 pt or a 5 yr old 12 pt. If I want to shoot it I will.

This man gets it. It’s all personal preference
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck

yup ill shoot the first buck i see with 4 on one side tomorrow and be headed to the house
Posted By: jb20

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:41 AM

I got 1800 acres to hunt a lot pastures and only me and nighthunters hunt.. I've seen 13 deer at one set it 12 years at the most.... I'll kill a 3 year old anytime although I've killed sum older I let all does and baskets walk

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 05:26 AM

Build sanctuaries build deer. Just give Them what rhey need and let them grow now that hard. It seems they want to grow so let them grow. They are trying to grow. Let them grow and you will know. Our chineese investor won’t let us show our ip yet but we have somewhere things right now that’s growing six points bucks first year or they die now only
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 06:39 AM

Old deers is hard to find
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 12:00 PM

Unless you planning to share some good hunting land that will raise 4 year olds, so people can see what it is like you really need not to let it be of your concern.
Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 12:12 PM

I shoot for meat. Gotta feed the masses. I don't kill spikes though!
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 12:52 PM

I have no desire to shoot 3 YO, 95" 8 points. I haven't shot a buck in Alabama in 4 years and I can't understand hunters who never grow out of the 'brown is down' attitude. Or the 'if I don't shoot it the neighbors will' BS excuse when dragging a 2 YO 8 point into camp.

I grew up hunting in a club in Marengo county which had 40 members on 2900 acres. If it didn't have spots (although I saw a couple shot where the spots were still slightly visible) it got blasted. This was the 80's and had a 2 week doe season so some of these guys bought bigger scopes so they could see if the antlers had broken the hairline and shoot him. My third year, I shot what was considered a trophy on the club - a 130 lb, 85" 8 point. Yep, it was a big deal whenever an 8 point was hung up in the skinning shed, and he was a monster to this guy when I was 15. I wouldn't give a thought to shooting that deer today.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 01:26 PM

We hunt because we enjoy it. We don't shoot the hell outa the deer on our place but if we see a buck we like we shoot it. For some of the guys that hunt with us, that 100" 8pt may be the biggest buck they have ever killed and to them it's the trophy of a lifetime. To me that's what it's all about. I have no problem waiting for a mature deer but I'm not going to ask someone who has never killed a nice buck to not shoot it and wait for an older deer. There's enough stress with my 2 jobs, I try to keep stress out of my deer hunting. We keep it fun but that's just us.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Whild_Bill
The state needs to put a regulation that you can’t kill a buck unless it’s five years or older.

Ridiculous! How ya gonna police it? Bucks don't tote a birth certificate.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
See that's the mindset I was talking about. Always worried about the neighbors gunshot

Matt there is one thing I can guarantee folks with this mindset, he's definitely dead when they pull the trigger. What a lot of folks fail to realize is a lot of these bucks would make it to see another year. I'm guilty of falling for this trap myself in my younger years. I have since learned if I do my part he just might live to see 4 or some cases I've passed 4 year old's that have seen 5+.

This is not a dig at you guy's that like to kill deer! Shoot what makes you happy, but if you truly would like to see older age class deer y'all got to quit worrying about what the neighbors do. I recently started hunting some very small properties that are susceptible to what the neighbors kill, however I have killed one really good deer for the area and might know where a few more are hanging out. My plan of managing pressure and providing the best food in the area goes a long way in saving some of these younger deer I would like to see live longer.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 01:37 PM

Right on Squeak, worrying about the neighbors will make ya crazy . Provide food, water ,cover and trigger restraint and don't get hung up on what the other fellers do.
Posted By: bamafan1966

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 01:42 PM

IMO owning property or having a personal lease is the only way to grow 4+ year old deer....its difficult almost to the point of being impossible to get 10 or more people together that will have enough patience to not shoot three year old deer......the majority of folks have to kill a buck every year or their season isn't successful......I shake my head at all the comments given to justify shooting a young deer.....nobody makes you pull the trigger.....just own it
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 01:59 PM

What I don’t understand is why anybody would worry about what their neighbor is killing or what Aldeer hunters think. The deer belongs to all of us to hunt and kill. And as long as we all hunt the deer in accordance to the regulations set by the DCNR no one should worry what the mindset of what other hunters are. The harvest record clearly states what bucks can be taken and in what order. My problem is with those that don’t give a damn about being in compliance with the regulations. Buy a damn hunting license and report your kills!
Posted By: MC21

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 02:02 PM

I think the reason a lot of 3 year olds get shot is because the average Alabama hunter ( 60%) doesn’t care about age and just wants to kill a “good” buck and the standard for good buck is subjective to each hunter. Then you have the 20% that’s true trophy hunters and 15% that just want meat. And then there is the 5% that go to hunting camp so they can smoke, drink, and get away from there wives.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 02:16 PM

This is an interesting conversation. Because this is really what most clubs/lease partners argue over. Our lease is 4 year old minimum. Took a long time to find the correct guys.

Like your momma told you, dont worry about everyone else and take care of yourself. I know that by letting a 3 yr old deer go i have a chance to see that buck bigger and better down the road. I am also taking a chance on never seeing that deer again. But it is the right thing to do (for me) to truly have a chance at killing a good deer in Alabama.

but that is us and not all leases can or will do that. If it makes you happy then that is all that matters.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 02:29 PM

Why even worry about what you can't control? Worry about what you can control. And that goes for life in general as well.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 02:52 PM

Wow! factor. If I first see a buck and think "wow" to myself, I will shoot him. If I'm like, well "nice" I don't.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 02:52 PM

LULZ!!! Y'all will forgive my strong eye roll at how many of you authoritarians suddenly become libertarians when it comes to this subject.

In the end, I have to remember this is Alabama though.... where the normal deer hunter walks around with blue jeans tucked inside his untied boots, wearing a shirt that reads "If it's brown it's down, you can't eat them horns!" And then gets offended that I don't respect his deer management philosophy.
Posted By: birdcarver

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 02:54 PM

How in the h--- do you eat those horns
Posted By: bigt

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 03:11 PM

I personally haven't shot a buck under three in a long time, but I was guilty of it for the majority of my life to be honest. If it was club legal i shot it. Now we as a club are trying to manage for older deer, but usually one or two gets killed that probably shouldn't have. We don't get bent out of shape about it unless it is a repeat offender. On a property like ours that doesn't have does to shoot to get some meat I understand that some people get a little anxious as the year goes on with nothing to show for their efforts. That being said as long as rules are not broken I am happy for anyone that kills a legal buck in my club. You can't really consider a club in Mobile County a trophy club anyway when the average mature buck will score between 100" and 110' . If we were in the Blackbelt we would probably be a little more anal about the whole process lol.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 03:27 PM

Ive been trying to figure out how to age bucks by pictures or real quick on the hoof this year. Most of the bucks killed around here are 2 or 3yr olds. Im growing weary of this. I know there are some older bucks around but they are tricky devils to hunt. My son(hes 11) has killed enough that hes not really satisfied with the young buck anymore. Our two biggest obsticles are people hunting around us and our own impatience. When youve sat there 75or 80hrs and a "descent" buck comes out, its mighty hard to leave the gun propped in the corner. And I know this is what our neighbors are going through too. Around here opportunities are so few, it is easy to get very excited when a 3yr old buck comes out, maybe too excited. But thats a catch 22, if we could let him pass, we would surely get to witness bucks more often. I guess if you hunt an area like I hunt, if you set your mind to killing mature bucks, you also have to accept you may not get one at all this year. Although, even if you come up short, next year should be a little better because the bucks you passed on will get a year older and didnt get shot the one time they ever stepped out in a field in the daylight, so maybe theyll do it again. I understand the concept and agree with it, but it is a hard way to roll for an impatient deer hunter like me.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 03:28 PM

Realistically you either need good neighbors or a large tract of land for this to pay off. Where I hunt we have 500 acres and good neighbors that are on the same page and it works. Without all our neighbors being on the same page it would be an exercise in futility since I prob have no bucks that stay on my 500 all the time. I pretty much know this from the bucks we all kill and trail cam pics we share. I also believe most other states including the Midwest kill just as many bucks 3 and under as AL does and there is research done by QDMA to back that up.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by turkey247

Not so fast. Totally depends on location and varies from deer to deer. A lot of skinny southern deer could live and die of old age and look very similar from age 2 to whenever. We killed a lot of bucks in the Tombigbee River area that would age 5+, weigh anywhere from 130-175 lbs, and have anything from twisted cowhorn spikes to 115” 8’s.

bullchitt, 2 year olds don't look like 5 year olds I don't care where you are. Weight and antler size have nothing to do with age conformation.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

bullchitt, 2 year olds don't look like 5 year olds I don't care where you are. Weight and antler size have nothing to do with age conformation.

Unless what we been “learned” about aging by the jawbone is insanely flawed, then what I’m saying is true. We killed a bunch of bucks that looked like skinny 2 year olds and had dang near flat, mangled teeth. Or maybe they ate rocks. One way or the other, it happened. My son killed a skinny 5 point two seasons ago - and every dang expert on here woukd see a game cam pic of it and age it at 2 years old. The jawbone says otherwise, plain and simple. Got no reason to make crap up like that. We got Whild Bill to spend that much energy to tell lies around here.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:00 PM

So how damn many 3 yr olds can this state kill??? Seems like it's gonna be a lot. Most kill pics posted are 3. I know the true killers don't post old deer or any deer but damn this state kills a bunch of future good deer

I don’t know....... but I think 257 is doing some pot stirring and trolling 😀
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 04:46 PM

Unless what we been “learned” about aging by the jawbone is insanely flawed, then what I’m saying is true. We killed a bunch of bucks that looked like skinny 2 year olds and had dang near flat, mangled teeth. Or maybe they ate rocks. One way or the other, it happened. My son killed a skinny 5 point two seasons ago - and every dang expert on here woukd see a game cam pic of it and age it at 2 years old. The jawbone says otherwise, plain and simple. Got no reason to make crap up like that. We got Whild Bill to spend that much energy to tell lies around here.

ya'll need to pay more attention to live aging deer then because NO 5-6 YEAR OLD BUCK ANYWHERE IN ALABAMA LOOKS LIKE A SKINNY 2 YEAR OLD. PERIOD. Ain't happened.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 05:39 PM

This deer’s jawbone says 5, he weighed about 135. I thought maybe a 3 year old on the hoof, but not really. Was shocked looking at his teeth. None of that matters anyway, my boy was happy and the skull mount is sitting on his homework desk.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Backporch

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 06:07 PM

Let em grow..want meat shoot a doe.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

I don’t know....... but I think 257 is doing some pot stirring and trolling 😀

Its awesome aint it? grin
Posted By: globe

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 06:15 PM

I've let over 20 bucks go this year, 4 eights, a bunch of six points etc..., and I highly doubt 1/2 of them make it. My kids are the only reason I let deer go, beciase NOBODY around me does. It's almost comical when I tell a neighbor about letting a 13-14" eight point go, they say "man I woulda shot that one". I'm kinda raising deer for other people and sometimes it gets old.
I'd LOVE to know how many deer were killed county by county and the make-up of those harvests.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by tfd1224

He never said anything about his neighbors.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Backporch

I'd rather a small buck be killed before a doe. We are still trying to get our numbers up. 3 does were taken on our place this year and that's going to be it for the year.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 06:34 PM

Troof but I do see double digits nearly every sit. Just don't pressure em much

I'm lucky if I see a single deer every other sit. Ive maybe seen only one buck over 3, with a gun-in-hand, in my twelve years of hunting. If I passed on every 3 y.o. then I would probably just lose interest in hunting. I usually pass on anything under 3.
Posted By: Possum Hunter

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 06:34 PM

I can get behind some of this. But some of y’all have prime hunting land and can hunt any day of the season you please...

I use to hunt a very nice place and could grow some giants with the right group of people.. but a lot of folks are weekend warriors, and have to work a 5-6 day a week job and aren’t gonna pay 2000$ a year to not pull the trigger for years... Sure everyone wants to kill a giant but when your time is limited and you don’t have exceptional hunting property like others, it’s hard to get behind only killing 5yo bucks...

I now hunt 3200 acres close to home, you may sit 5-6 sits before you even see a deer, that’s not because people kill a lot of deer either. It’s because there’s just not many deer in this area, and it’s hard hunting. We Decided to only take 10 does for the entire lease, first come first serve basis, and a 6pt min restriction... If you only hunt the green fields, you more than likely ain’t gonna see any deer for many and many sits. A 150+” deer is killed on the land probably once every 5 years and that’s great but with high members and low deer density, the younger bucks are just getting killed, because people want meat and aren’t gonna wait on something that just ain’t gonna happen on this land

But I think it all has to do with the potential of the property. Some hold great potential and others not so much

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 06:36 PM

Not everyone has land where you can see does on a regular basis... I’ve been in those clubs where every sit you can see does, and young bucks... I’m now in a club where your lucky to see a single deer every couple of sits. All properties are not the same, and don’t hold equal amounts of deer or quality of deer.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 06:38 PM

Must be a lot of hungry people on here or they can't find their way to the grocery store
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 06:53 PM

W
Originally Posted by Possum Hunter
I can get behind some of this. But some of y’all have prime hunting land and can hunt any day of the season you please...

I use to hunt a very nice place and could grow some giants with the right group of people.. but a lot of folks are weekend warriors, and have to work a 5-6 day a week job and aren’t gonna pay 2000$ a year to not pull the trigger for years... Sure everyone wants to kill a giant but when your time is limited and you don’t have exceptional hunting property like others, it’s hard to get behind only killing 5yo bucks...

I now hunt 3200 acres close to home, you may sit 5-6 sits before you even see a deer, that’s not because people kill a lot of deer either. It’s because there’s just not many deer in this area, and it’s hard hunting. We Decided to only take 10 does for the entire lease, first come first serve basis, and a 6pt min restriction... If you only hunt the green fields, you more than likely ain’t gonna see any deer for many and many sits. A 150+” deer is killed on the land probably once every 5 years and that’s great but with high members and low deer density, the younger bucks are just getting killed, because people want meat and aren’t gonna wait on something that just ain’t gonna happen on this land

But I think it all has to do with the potential of the property. Some hold great potential and others not so much

Hat

I wonder about folks who start out saying they dont have many or enough deer and end saying how many does they will kill this year. That dont make a lick of sense. Those 10 deer will equal as many as 30 deer next year, that 30 could be 90 year after next. Kill coyotes and undesirable bucks for two years and see what happens.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 07:03 PM

Several years ago myself and some buddies killed a 150” and it took 5 of us to get it done.

All you have to do is add all of these bucks together 😂

[Linked Image]

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 07:10 PM

Must be a lot of hungry people on here or they can't find their way to the grocery store

Never have I once seen venison in a grocery store
Posted By: BCLC

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 07:17 PM

Several years ago myself and some buddies killed a 150” and it took 5 of us to get it done.

[Linked Image]

grin

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 07:38 PM

I take 2 doe a year on my 20 acres and it's hard for me to harvest a basket rack but will let a youngin have choice. I enjoy the hunting experience like watching two fawns at play and what doesn't make sense to me is a grown man that wants to kill a trophy but will shoot every basket rack he sees. If you are not seeing deer (no joy in that) find another place to hunt.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 07:54 PM

We try not to eat grocery store meat. Full of hormones, antibiotics, and other weird crap. With my results this season, we won't eat any red meat from the store in 2019

I am fortunate enough to have lots of hunt opportunities in multiple states. I don't shoot the babies, but will occasionally, depending on the location, take a 3 year old buck. Does, if I shoot one, are always old deer.

I have shot 1 buck that was 3 years old in recent years. It was a club rules legal deer at a club in SC, and I had never killed a SC deer.
Posted By: HoofNSpur

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by marshmud991
We hunt because we enjoy it. We don't shoot the hell outa the deer on our place but if we see a buck we like we shoot it. For some of the guys that hunt with us, that 100" 8pt may be the biggest buck they have ever killed and to them it's the trophy of a lifetime. To me that's what it's all about. I have no problem waiting for a mature deer but I'm not going to ask someone who has never killed a nice buck to not shoot it and wait for an older deer. There's enough stress with my 2 jobs, I try to keep stress out of my deer hunting. We keep it fun but that's just us.

Agree with this post. Well said.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 08:57 PM

What does a grocery store have to do with whether a buck is a 3yr or 4yr old? Or whether we shoot a small buck or doe for meat?
I can tell you for me, all the deer we kill, usually 3 or 4 depending on size gets completely deboned and made into sausage and burger. I ain't buying no sausage from any store and ain't real keen on meats from a store. I kinda like to know where it came from and how it was handled. That's why I try to buy as much from local farmers and butchers I've known a long time. Same with seafood, if I don't catch it, I buy from very close friends. Call me crazy but it's just the way it is.
Posted By: bigt

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 09:07 PM

I have always been upfront with anyone hunting with me. If they are wanting to fill their freezer with deer meat then they need to go hunt somewhere else. It is as simple as that and that way nobody gets bent out of shape after the fact.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 09:13 PM

I know where the grocery store is myself but I haven’t spent a dime on hamburger meat or steaks in probably 10 plus years. Only exception would be Coneuch sausage or hotdogs for gatherings.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 09:15 PM

I had no idea there were so many pioneers, hillbillies and off the gridders on here living off the land. I like to eat venison but don't depend on it. Maybe I need to quit passing on these deer I see about every time I go and donate them to Hunters for the Hungry so y'alls younguns don't go hungry
I imagine there's a bunch of us here that could eat filet mignon every day with what we spend on leases, equipment, diesel fuel, spring, summer, fall planting, etc. I hunt because I enjoy the whole process not for something to eat. Last thing I want to do,is turn it into a job or a necessity. To each his own

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by bigt

I have always been upfront with anyone hunting with me. If they are wanting to fill their freezer with deer meat then they need to go hunt somewhere else. It is as simple as that and that way nobody gets bent out of shape after the fact.

And there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s your club your rules but there is something wrong with trying to dictate what people around the state shoot or don’t shoot based on your preferences. It’s not like your saying people should just shoot big mature bucks and by beef from the grocery store. You’re just saying you don’t want people shooting does or young bucks on your property
Posted By: 1shot

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 09:26 PM

Sounds like we need Chuck to designate trophy and common folk license/areas. That’ll solve all of it LOL!!!!!!
Posted By: sj22

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 09:30 PM

[Linked Image]

Man that was a good day!!

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 09:37 PM

I had no idea there were so many pioneers, hillbillies and off the gridders on here living off the land. I like to eat venison but don't depend on it. Maybe I need to quit passing on these deer I see about every time I go and donate them to Hunters for the Hungry so y'alls younguns don't go hungry

It’s not that I depend on Venison to live it’s that I like to eat Venison. And I like to shoot deer is there anything wrong with that? I’m not on impacting your power line food plot where you see 30-40 deer a sit by shooting a mediocre buck every now and then. Why can’t you just let us be happy with our mediocre bucks? You still have the option to give them a pass and brag about it to all of us on here. I mean if everyone on here shot nothing but 4 year old deer you would no longer be the superior hunter that you are. You are clearly better than everyone on this site so why do you insist that all of us dumb @ss amateurs try to be like you? Just enjoy being better than everyone else. And then when I or someone else post a picture of a nice 3 year old 8 point you can show it to your buddies and brag about how you would of just watched it walk under your stand. And then when you do kill a giant 150” 4 year old I’ll still congratulate you.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC

[Linked Image]

grin

That’s awesome

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 09:46 PM

That pic was from January 2009. We tent camped for 3 days on some property on the pike/ Crenshaw line and one of those spikes was my first buck. It was an awesome trip. We hunted in the morning, met back at camp and cooked a big country boy breakfast and then went back out in the afternoon. In the evenings we skinned and quartered deer around the camp fire, drank some cold beer and told stories. Sometimes, most of the time for me. it’s not about the inches of antler but the experience.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
W
Originally Posted by Possum Hunter

Hat

I wonder about folks who start out saying they dont have many or enough deer and end saying how many does they will kill this year. That dont make a lick of sense. Those 10 deer will equal as many as 30 deer next year, that 30 could be 90 year after next. Kill coyotes and undesirable bucks for two years and see what happens.

I’m telling you.. there’s not the same amount of deer on all properties, I’ve hunted some property I could get behind on this, and it’s the same for a lot across the state... I think the only eeeason for the 10 is for youth weekend truthfully. We have 3200 acres of pines in West Jefferson county. And it’s just not the same as 3200 acres anywhere in Fayette or Lamar so you can’t expect everyone across the state to follow suite to only kill old deer... and not every deer is gonna grow to be a 150” deer y’all have truly lost it, if y’all think that....

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 10:19 PM

I imagine there's a bunch of us here that could eat filet mignon every day with what we spend on leases, equipment, diesel fuel, spring, summer, fall planting, etc. I hunt because I enjoy the whole process not for something to eat. Last thing I want to do,is turn it into a job or a necessity. To each his own

My 2 kids and I hunt because we love being out in the woods. We also love working the ground and planting plots and everything that goes along with the hunt. I really have no idea what I spend on deer hunting at home or everything to do with our place in Alabama. As long as my family is not doing without we are gonna keep on doing what we love. We work on our hunting areas all year long so we can kill the few deer we need to make our sausage because we love making and eating the sausage. Also my kids look forward to making the sausage because it just like a big ole party and a good time had by all. You can't put a price on that. If the kids kill a couple deer it really makes it worth all we do. And if the kids kill a couple deer, it gives me more time to be the kitchen bitch at the camp. Which is another thing I love doing. I love cooking for everyone as no matter who is at the camp we eat as one big family. you come to our camp, you are part of the family.
Posted By: Clem

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 10:35 PM

Sounds like it'd be fun to be in your camp! You have boudin, I assume. laugh
Posted By: Remington270

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 10:40 PM

I’ve come to the conclusion that there are 2 groups of hunters in Alabama: one group is happy to see a single deer during a 4-hour sit. They might hunt 5 times between each sighting. The other group sees 15-30 deer per sit, multiple racked bucks during each sit. Each group simply cannot comprehend that the other group exists. It doesn’t even seem possible that it could be this different, but it is. If a guy from the first group sees a 3-year old, you can bet your let dollar he’s going to let one fly. That’s just the way it is.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

Sounds like it'd be fun to be in your camp! You have boudin, I assume. laugh

Usually a variety of boudin. Everybody has their favorite place they get it from. Living on the west side of the state makes us pass thru where some of the best boudin in the state is made when we head to the camp. thumbup
Posted By: hoggin

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 11:00 PM

Deer hunting or hunting in general is turning into a goober measuring contest plenty fast enough without the state regulating anything else.

What about the folks that still hunt for meat, they don’t have any rights.

I’ve watched a lotta 3-5 yo deer walk off personally but I’ll kill a spike this evening if I decide to. I rarely every shoot a deer any more but I go a lot to take the family who still enjoys shooting one occasionally and I could care less what they shoot or don’t. They don’t shoot much to be honest but it ain’t nobody else’s business as long as it’s legal. I pay lease, insurance, seed, fertilize, gas and buy the license not anyone else.

Most of y’all couldn’t afford to hunt in this state anymore 5 years after a 5yo 2 doe a year law was passed
Posted By: Luxfisher

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 11:18 PM

hogging agree with you .it's like people that tournament fish fussing about people keeping bass it's your business.
Posted By: AUdeerhunter

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/13/19 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270
I’ve come to the conclusion that there are 2 groups of hunters in Alabama: one group is happy to see a single deer during a 4-hour sit. They might hunt 5 times between each sighting. The other group sees 15-30 deer per sit, multiple racked bucks during each sit. Each group simply cannot comprehend that the other group exists. It doesn’t even seem possible that it could be this different, but it is. If a guy from the first group sees a 3-year old, you can bet your let dollar he’s going to let one fly. That’s just the way it is.

I can agree with this!! I can’t help but to feel like almost everyone starts out in this first group you’ve described here. As a hunter matures and seeks greater success, they hope to find their way into the second group you’ve described...I’m in “group 2” now, where I wasn’t about 10 years ago...Over the last 10 years, I’ve seen and realized the potential of our property. When you have multiple mature deer on camera, it can make it much easier for me to wait on an older buck. I also simply enjoy seeing deer and being a spectator.

My personal goal each hunting season is to kill a minimum of 1 doe in bow season and 1 good (mature) buck with a rifle. Yes, there are seasons where we see tons of does hunt after hunt and we will kill a few does with a rifle. This also helps us to stock the freezer, as we will eat 6 deer in a calendar year between my household and at our hunting camp (I also cook a lot for our men’s group from church). I do not buy red meat at all...Some years, like last year, I only killed 1 buck and 1 doe. Some of my buddies had great years and I got a few deers’ meat from them to help stock my freezer. Other years, like this year, I have killed much more than 2 deer. It’s always an ebb/flow from year to year, but it always works out to where I have enough meat without killing too many off of our property.

I do agree on the “to each their own” mindset, though. As long as it’s legal, you do whatever makes you happy and whatever you want on your property.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bamaturkeykilla

Because the ones you shoot aren’t old enough to have their spikes yet. they barely lost their spots. I seen that first hand. LOL

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 12:18 AM

Because the ones you shoot aren’t old enough to have their spikes yet. they barely lost their spots. I seen that first hand. LOL

I can't help your guest asked for veal. So I gave it to him.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 12:40 AM

You were the guest stoopid

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 12:43 AM

You were the guest stoopid

Oh yeah, I was wasn't I.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 12:44 AM

Anyone that shoots a yearling IMO ought to have their butt kicked..hell there's not even much to eat and if you want tender meat spend the time an dry age it for a while.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 12:45 AM

Anyone that shoots a yearling IMO ought to have their butt kicked..hell there's not even much to eat and if you want tender meat spend the time an dry age it for a while.

It was an honest mistake. Mr. Morris was holding the light on the wrong deer. Happens all the time I'm sure.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 12:46 AM

Who held your beer?

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 12:48 AM

Who held your beer?

I was wearing the self dispensing beer hat. I fixed that problem the week before.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 12:52 AM

But they’re so easy to throw in the back of the truck

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by MC21

But they’re so easy to throw in the back of the truck

More to it than that and a beast will fill it's gut with the week...you animal. LOL

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 01:24 AM

It was an honest mistake. Mr. Morris was holding the light on the wrong deer. Happens all the time I'm sure.

LMAO. Yeah right

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 01:25 AM

LMAO. Yeah right

rofl
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 06:01 PM

I agree with Ronfromramer and Troy.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 06:02 PM

This deer’s jawbone says 5, he weighed about 135. I thought maybe a 3 year old on the hoof, but not really. Was shocked looking at his teeth. None of that matters anyway, my boy was happy and the skull mount is sitting on his homework desk.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's *obviously* a young 2.5 year old deer.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 07:52 PM

That little buck has been eating a lot of sand or something, maybe digging up peanuts or something..

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by WmHunter

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bad wrong

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/14/19 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
That little buck has been eating a lot of sand or something, maybe digging up peanuts or something..

Lived in a high clay soil area in the Pine belt

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/15/19 04:05 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bad wrong

Respectfully, you cannot age deer at all.
That is just a young juvenile buck.
Great kill for the young hunter, but only a 2 year old deer.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/15/19 04:37 PM

Respectfully, you cannot age deer at all.
That is just a young juvenile buck.

rofl Honestly, thanks for that. Haven’t laughed that hard in a while. I know what the teeth look like and what the deer looked like. I don’t think I said exactly how old I think he was. I’m just saying one of the two ways we try to age deer doesn’t work for some deer. Are they young with extreme tooth wear? Are they old with smaller body types? I’m not sure what I think, but this deer isn’t the first one I’ve seen like this either. However, they were all killed within 10 miles of the Tombigbee in various counties, so that’s interesting to me.
Posted By: Dead down wind

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/15/19 04:59 PM

Who cares how old the deer is when you look at the smile on that kids face. 8 year old 10 point or 1 year old spike it's about having fun and enjoying what your doing.

I don't understand how people can stand back and judge someone on deer hunting

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/15/19 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dead down wind
Who cares how old the deer is when you look at the smile on that kids face. 8 year old 10 point or 1 year old spike it's about having fun and enjoying what your doing.

I don't understand how people can stand back and judge someone on deer hunting

Now why do you want to come up in here with common sense. No room for that here. beers
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/15/19 05:25 PM

I'll chime in on this. I hunt on 1100 acres in Macon County over by Tallassee. When we first got the property deer were few and far between. The first deer killed on the property was a dinky little 6 point killed by myself. Through lots of hard work, property improvement, summer planting and a huge investment by the property owner we have improved the property's deer numbers 100 times. We have gone through the whole process. From a 6 point or better to only mature deer. We've always been careful of the number of does we killed because of the lower numbers of deer. We spend a lot of time trying to keep the deer in towards the core of our property. My 2 cents from our experience. We got so hard on what we were shooting that it made you second guess every buck you were looking at. It really made it into work and damn near fractured some friendships. Through the years we have kind of modified what we do. We still try to shoot mature but don't lose our minds if someone makes a mistake. I've showed many people on here jawbones from our deer getting their input on age. We tend to see a strange wear pattern on them and it can get difficult to tell anything exactly. We try to shoot by body characteristics more so than antlers. We don't worry about what other do since we can't control that. I don't need venison to survive nor do I prefer it over other meats so I'm good not killing many deer, but I do understand that some prefer it or need it as a supplement to their groceries. We are more lax with young hunters but don't even give them free reign. After they have killed some bucks we want them to start shooting more in line with what everyone else is shooting...or trying to shoot. We are all human and we make mistakes in our management goals. I was talking with a friend of mine about it and that is where my signature line comes from. I guess we finally reached a place where we just try to make it more fun and manage them at the same time...within reason.

"I'm not near as critical about how big they are as I once was. Smiles are more important now! We will grow more deer."
Jimmy G.

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/15/19 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Skullworks
I'll chime in on this. I hunt on 1100 acres in Macon County over by Tallassee. When we first got the property deer were few and far between. The first deer killed on the property was a dinky little 6 point killed by myself. Through lots of hard work, property improvement, summer planting and a huge investment by the property owner we have improved the property's deer numbers 100 times. We have gone through the whole process. From a 6 point or better to only mature deer. We've always been careful of the number of does we killed because of the lower numbers of deer. We spend a lot of time trying to keep the deer in towards the core of our property. My 2 cents from our experience. We got so hard on what we were shooting that it made you second guess every buck you were looking at. It really made it into work and damn near fractured some friendships. Through the years we have kind of modified what we do. We still try to shoot mature but don't lose our minds if someone makes a mistake. I've showed many people on here jawbones from our deer getting their input on age. We tend to see a strange wear pattern on them and it can get difficult to tell anything exactly. We try to shoot by body characteristics more so than antlers. We don't worry about what other do since we can't control that. I don't need venison to survive nor do I prefer it over other meats so I'm good not killing many deer, but I do understand that some prefer it or need it as a supplement to their groceries. We are more lax with young hunters but don't even give them free reign. After they have killed some bucks we want them to start shooting more in line with what everyone else is shooting...or trying to shoot. We are all human and we make mistakes in our management goals. I was talking with a friend of mine about it and that is where my signature line comes from. I guess we finally reached a place where we just try to make it more fun and manage them at the same time...within reason.

"I'm not near as critical about how big they are as I once was. Smiles are more important now! We will grow more deer."
Jimmy G.

thumbup
Posted By: mcninja

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/15/19 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Skullworks

Jimmy G.

Well said.
Posted By: hosscat

Re: 150" deer spinoff - 01/15/19 09:43 PM

I guess we finally reached a place where we just try to make it more fun and manage them at the same time...within reason.

Jimmy G.

I agree completely. I try to manage as best I can at my house, but I have a lot of guests too (and a lot less than 1100 acres). I always tell them if they are happy with it pull the trigger. Especially kids.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM