Aldeer.com

Hunting binocular‘s ??

Posted By: BlakeL

Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 10:40 AM

Hey guys. I’m in the market to buy some new binoculars. I want to spend somewhere around $300 maybe a little more. What is everyone’s opinion on the best binoculars for hunting ?
Posted By: kpswihart

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 11:11 AM

I prefer full sized binos in either 8x or 10x. The full size will gather light better and reduce eye fatigue if you glass a lot. With your budget, I'd look at Leupold, Vortex, and some of upper level Nikons. If you're current or prior military, or a first responder, many companies offer discounts. Vortex, Europtic, Experticity all offer good discounts and I'm sure there are others.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 12:43 PM

Get one of the better Bushnell lines and don’t look back.
10x42 about the best all around size.
Check out Leupold and Vortex too.
I got some $100-plus Bushnells that have been awesome.
I once pulled up on a law enforcement standoff outside a house. Got out with my Bushnells. An officer who’d just got back from a tour as scout-sniper with the Marines in Iraq saw my glass and said “Nice binoculars!”
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 12:47 PM

I got the 10x42 Bushnell last year and they are great. I had checked all the reviews before I bought and the Bushnell was the #1 rated binoculars in 2017.
Posted By: AUtgr

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 12:59 PM

Another vote for Bushnell 10X42
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 01:36 PM

I'd get 10x50's and spend as much as you can on them. Low light performance is a big deal.
Posted By: Chris4x4Gill2

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by AUtgr
Another vote for Bushnell 10X42

This is what I have as well. Very happy with them. I am glassing in timber, haven't used them at long distances.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 01:56 PM

Where do you hunt? Woods only , plots and fields only , or combo. You don't need 10x42 for the woods. Get a size and power tailored for your use. Vortex has something for everyone.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 02:29 PM

o got 10x42 wish I woulda got 8x42 field of view is alot better with 8x42.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 02:51 PM

Just got some vortex crossfire 8x42’s and they’re awesome.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 03:09 PM

https://rogerssportinggoods.us1.lis...1d554&id=b4da2d4cb8&e=37b765b2ac

On sale
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 03:12 PM

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/optics/binoculars.html?brand=Leupold
Posted By: crocker

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 03:22 PM

Here my .02. I have some high end binos and on the lower end I have some low end zeiss, vortex diamondback, and Nikon monarch 7. The monarch are a little more money than the other 2 listed but are worth it.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 03:34 PM

If you hunt in the woods with maybe a food plot or two, quality 8X32 is just right. Much bigger and they feel like a boat anchor around my neck.
Posted By: Mully

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 04:10 PM

I have Swarovski 8x32 and they are an excellent all around bino. They work great in the woods, great on average green fields but are a little underpowered for hunting big pastures where you can see deer at 1000 yds and stuff but that is fine because if the bino isn't good enough I damn sure cant make the shot!
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 05:52 PM

I have a set of Leupolds that work just fine for what I need. Reasonable in costs at Academy but can catch them on sale too.

Dr. B
Posted By: Zbrann

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 06:29 PM

I have a pair of 12x50 and I'm looking to trade down to 8x42. Too much power and too much weight.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 07:18 PM

I use 10x42 Leupold proguide HD. Work well in all conditions are not bulky or heavy.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 07:30 PM

Cut your budget in half with the Vortex Crossfires. I got mine from Midway for $149 shipped.
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by MarksOutdoors

Cut your budget in half with the Vortex Crossfires. I got mine from Midway for $149 shipped.

I'd suggest bumping up to the Diamondbacks. They are not much more at all but are much, much better. I've had both.
Posted By: Groundhawg

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Originally Posted by MarksOutdoors

I'd suggest bumping up to the Diamondbacks. They are not much more at all but are much, much better. I've had both.

Also have had both and the last one's bought and being used now are the Vortex Diamondbacks. Great binoculars for the money and lifetime warranty.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mully
I have Swarovski 8x32 and they are an excellent all around bino. They work great in the woods, great on average green fields but are a little underpowered for hunting big pastures where you can see deer at 1000 yds and stuff but that is fine because if the bino isn't good enough I damn sure cant make the shot!

I think those are a little over his budget

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 08:06 PM

Leupold
Nikon
Vortex
If just deer hunting in Bama, 8x42
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 08:13 PM

I believe the BEST answer to your question is more about the SIZE instead of the brand. All of them make excellent products in that price range. Is there a difference in $300 and $1,500 binos? I'm sure there is, but I can't tell in real-world hunting situations in Alabama. I "think" 99.999% of us would agree that 10x42 is the best all around size, especially if you wear the little shoulder/chest harness. So I'd find all the 10x42's in the $300 arena and then see if I could scour the interwebs for a special sale (opticsplanet.com) (eBay)

If you can buy a Nikon, Leupold, Vortex (and similar names) for $300, you'll be 101% happy.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 08:45 PM

i hunt alot of big powerlines and large pits 90 % of the time. i could use a recommendation as well. Im around the same budget as the OP
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ikillbux
I believe the BEST answer to your question is more about the SIZE instead of the brand. All of them make excellent products in that price range. Is there a difference in $300 and $1,500 binos? I'm sure there is, but I can't tell in real-world hunting situations in Alabama. I "think" 99.999% of us would agree that 10x42 is the best all around size, especially if you wear the little shoulder/chest harness. So I'd find all the 10x42's in the $300 arena and then see if I could scour the interwebs for a special sale (opticsplanet.com) (eBay)

If you can buy a Nikon, Leupold, Vortex (and similar names) for $300, you'll be 101% happy.

If you can't tell the difference between $300 binos and Swarovski EL binos, you haven't used them in 'real world's hunt I ng situations. The difference in clarity and edge to edge sharpness is startling.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 09:39 PM

6x32 if you hunt in the woods
10x42 if you hunt cutovers and plots
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 10:06 PM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002008S4I/ref=twister_B01606KSF4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: Zkd22

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 10:55 PM

I have a pair 8.5x44 and 10.5x44. Depends on where I’m hunting which ones I take. Out of your price range but Kowa makes some great glass. I prefer them over my Swarovski EL’s
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 11:11 PM

10x42 vortex viper hd. Awesome binos for the price
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/11/19 11:29 PM

If you have a lot of deer get some if not just use your scope. That few seconds is all it takes for a buck to get a away.

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/12/19 04:43 AM

I hunt mainly hardwoods, someplaces i can see 300yards gets darker faster in the woods looking for low light preformance

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/12/19 04:45 AM

Sounds like a man with the plan

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/12/19 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

If you can't tell the difference between $300 binos and Swarovski EL binos, you haven't used them in 'real world's hunt I ng situations. The difference in clarity and edge to edge sharpness is startling.

Definitly hasn't used top end glass. Fyi, we have compared SLCs and ELs 2 seasons in a row, other than the field flattener which is not that noticeable, pretty much same view with a $500 difference
Posted By: JUSTIN37HUNT

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/12/19 06:20 AM

I’ve compared Nikon monarch 3 bs Nikon monarch 5 vs Vortex Diamondbacks. All were pretty similar lowlight and clarity. I have to say, I’ve looked through all the binos in that budget range at the stores and the Diamondback always seem to be the clearest. Plus you can catch them on sale for 139-159 every once in awhile if you pay attention.

Also, get the 10x’s. That extra magnification comes in handy more often than the extra power will harm you. I hunt a good bit. I’ve never thought “I should have got the 8x’s”. But I have thought a couple of times that I could have used some 12x’s under a few circumstances.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/12/19 03:09 PM

I use 8x32 for bow hunting, turkey hunting and scouting, 10x50 on stand, both Pentax DCF SP. Check EBAY and you can pick up excellent used $600-800 binos for $400 or less. Pentax has great customer service and will stand behind them, from my personal experience. I personally don't find 10x50 uncomfortably big on a bino harness
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/12/19 05:52 PM

I use 10x50 Vortex Diamondback and love them. Prefer the 50mm because that’s also the size of the objective lens on my scopes, so when I switch from bino’s to the scope I get the same view. Love the Vortex, can’t beat the price, and danged sure can’t beat the warranty.

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/13/19 02:55 AM

We're talking $300 binos, not Swarovski EL's. The only thing I've ever noticed about idiotically priced "elite name" optics is how much the fellas who have them want to tell you about them. I used to hunt with a man who had a 56mm Steiner (I think that's what it was), for the rest of my life I'll remember that he paid $1,650 for it. "I could sit on the powerline at 8:00 tonight and see deer!!!" Great!...except we're not going to be doing that in a real-world hunting scenario. Was it extremely nice?....oh heck yes. Was it $1,200 better than my 50mm Monarch??...dear Lord no. THAT'S my point. And believe me, I am that guy who is in the tree 45 mins before it even remotely starts getting daylight, and I'm always the last one back after dark. Not ONCE have my optics been insufficient. I'm not in a goober shaking contest about my optics.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/13/19 03:48 AM

We're talking $300 binos, not Swarovski EL's. The only thing I've ever noticed about idiotically priced "elite name" optics is how much the fellas who have them want to tell you about them. I used to hunt with a man who had a 56mm Steiner (I think that's what it was), for the rest of my life I'll remember that he paid $1,650 for it. "I could sit on the powerline at 8:00 tonight and see deer!!!" Great!...except we're not going to be doing that in a real-world hunting scenario. Was it extremely nice?....oh heck yes. Was it $1,200 better than my 50mm Monarch??...dear Lord no. THAT'S my point. And believe me, I am that guy who is in the tree 45 mins before it even remotely starts getting daylight, and I'm always the last one back after dark. Not ONCE have my optics been insufficient. I'm not in a goober shaking contest about my optics.

I know what the OP's topic is, but you're the one who said there was no difference between $300 and elite name binos in real world hunting situations. I was just responding to your comments, and I didn't even mention low-light performance either. The top end binos will also not cause eye strain as less expensive optics will when viewing for long periods. I have two binoculars, one expensive, top end 10x42 and the other a mid-priced 8x30 binocular. Both will get the job done, but there is a substantial difference in clarity, edge to edge sharpness, low light performance and eye strain between the two. The only advantage of the 8x30's is I prefer the small size when hunting the woods and treestands. Next time I have an extra $2000, I will upgrade these to Swarovski EL 8x32 binos.

You can get good binos for $300-500 which will serve your needs well in most hunting situations. But elite optics do have advantages. Is a $75,000 F-150 Limited worth twice as much as an F-150 work truck? The Limited is more powerful, better ride and more comfortable but both will haul material and get you from point a to b. Like anything else in life, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/13/19 03:49 AM

Vortex Diamondbacks are just fine for AL.
Posted By: lances

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/13/19 03:36 PM

Whatever pair you decide I would recommend shoulder straps for them. They are inexpensive and it keeps them readily available and does not wear out your neck. Personally I use leupold 10by 42 because they were on sale last year at Cabelas lol
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/13/19 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by lances
Whatever pair you decide I would recommend shoulder straps for them. They are inexpensive and it keeps them readily available and does not wear out your neck. Personally I use leupold 10by 42 because they were on sale last year at Cabelas lol

I agree shoulder straps for binos are one of the best things you can buy for deer hunting.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/13/19 03:49 PM

I gave Kahles 8x42 and like them. I have heard where 8x42(6) is better than 10x50(5). Just my .02
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/13/19 07:01 PM

Nikon monarch 7
8x42 eBay
Best under $200- Vortex Diamondback 8x42
Get this harness for whatever binos you get
https://www.cabelas.com/product/RYO...BQOcEAQYASABEgJPZPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: Backporch

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/13/19 08:40 PM

I know what the OP's topic is, but you're the one who said there was no difference between $300 and elite name binos in real world hunting situations. I was just responding to your comments, and I didn't even mention low-light performance either. The top end binos will also not cause eye strain as less expensive optics will when viewing for long periods. I have two binoculars, one expensive, top end 10x42 and the other a mid-priced 8x30 binocular. Both will get the job done, but there is a substantial difference in clarity, edge to edge sharpness, low light performance and eye strain between the two. The only advantage of the 8x30's is I prefer the small size when hunting the woods and treestands. Next time I have an extra $2000, I will upgrade these to Swarovski EL 8x32 binos.

You can get good binos for $300-500 which will serve your needs well in most hunting situations. But elite optics do have advantages. Is a $75,000 F-150 Limited worth twice as much as an F-150 work truck? The Limited is more powerful, better ride and more comfortable but both will haul material and get you from point a to b. Like anything else in life, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Well said...better to wait, save and then buy the best you can because it pays in the long run.

Re: Hunting binocular‘s ?? - 01/14/19 07:24 PM

Aw I wasn't being sassy, I guess it coulda been interpreted so though. I do have a personal schtick about expensive glass though, it's crazy to me. But I'm kinda that way about all things, I'm a "middle of the road" buyer in just about everything. I'm a believer that there's an astronomical difference in a $75 fishing rod vs a $150 fishing rod, but for what a fishing rod is made to do, there's not a justifiable difference between a $150 rod and a $300+ rod. I know we're just debating personal preferences, but I have the same stance on optics and guns. I know there's a difference, just not enough for me to pay for it. For me to pay 4 figures for a set of binos, I'd have to kill a 150" buck every season solely because of them, guaranteed. The cost vs benefit analysis just don't jive, and a $300 pair of binos is one heckuva good product!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM