Aldeer.com

Mock Scrapes

Posted By: ArrowHead_45

Mock Scrapes - 12/23/18 11:35 PM

What's everyones choice/brand scents for making mock scrapes? I pee in mine to start them but want to avoid the area for a while. Haven't had much luck with Tinks so was wondering what everyone else uses.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/23/18 11:42 PM

I pee in them
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/23/18 11:49 PM

I've never really tried it so not sure...these cats can tell ya though
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/23/18 11:56 PM

Ive never even caught a buck working a real scrape except with a camera and even then its very seldom the buck you think its going to be. You hunt how you want to but I can think of way more productive ways of hunting instead of mock scrapes.
Posted By: bdw32

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 02:05 AM

I’ve had luck making one and using doe and buck urine. There were scrapes all around after that. Multiple bucks visited the site. Ended up shooting a good en around that spot and saw several. Worked for me in that particular area.
Just happened to be a great spot where I knew they’d cruise around for doe.
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 02:16 AM

I don't hunt over my mock scrapes very often but I do use them for trail cameras. Particularly on public land. My favorite scent is Smokey's deer lure. I get the Interdigital gland scent and the preorbital gland scent. I have hunted over the scrapes a couple of times with some luck. Haven't taken a target buck over one but have had other bucks work them during daylight. If they are in the right spot they can be very productive.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 02:53 AM

The ones from walmart with the wildlife research center scents are probably the best hunting product I have used. Every buck in the area will visit the mock scrape based on some camera tests I did years ago, had 12 different bucks on 1 scrape one week
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ben2
The ones from walmart with the wildlife research center scents are probably the best hunting product I have used. Every buck in the area will visit the mock scrape based on some camera tests I did years ago, had 12 different bucks on 1 scrape one week

This guy has done his homework! whistle
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 04:05 AM

I’ve never made one. I figure the bucks are going to make scrapes, why do I need to make a fake one 😀
Posted By: ArrowHead_45

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

I’ve never made one. I figure the bucks are going to make scrapes, why do I need to make a fake one 😀

Do you ever hunt scrape lines if you find fresh ones?
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 04:48 AM

I do it to get them to all come to one location for pictures so I can identify the bucks in the area.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 06:33 AM

Even if you don't hunt them. A fake scrape helps to waste a bucks time on your land. So 4-5 scrapes at 2-3 minutes a time is about 10 minutes. Could be the difference in him jumping the neighbors fence during shooting light, or just after when he is climbing down.
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 06:40 AM

I pee in mine also and have had bucks take them over in no time.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 12:14 PM

Speaking of scrapes, how and when does everyone hunt them?
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by lefthorn

I never intentionaly hunt over them.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 01:29 PM

I usually don't hunt them. But if I found a fresh large one that was there year to year. I'd hunt it pre/post rut immediately after a rain. I'd be in the tree when the rain stopped. they will freshen em up.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 03:03 PM

I pee in mine and hunt close to one. Just don’t touch the licking branch.

If I’m predator or hog hunting I still pee in a bottle and dump it in the scrape before I leave. I keep a steel rake with a short handle nearby to freshen things up.

I keep the scrape maybe sixty yards out and I never shoot them on top of it.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 04:28 PM

Every time I rifle hunted this year I’ve been within 30 yards of fresh scrapes. However you’ve got to hunt the ones close to bedding or you are going to waste a whole bunch of time over sign that’s being made in the middle of the night.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 05:06 PM

Every time I rifle hunted this year I’ve been within 30 yards of fresh scrapes. However you’ve got to hunt the ones close to bedding or you are going to waste a whole bunch of time over sign that’s being made in the middle of the night.

Thanks. That’s what I am looking for
Posted By: Hunter454

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 07:43 PM

I made one a couple of years ago and they open it up every year. Multiple bucks use it and also plenty of does come to it.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Mock Scrapes - 12/24/18 10:20 PM

If they freshen up during daylight setup to catch them “J” hooking the scrape
Posted By: USMC4910

Re: Mock Scrapes - 01/09/19 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2

What Ben2 said. I’ve had good luck with the Wildlife Research drippers and scrape Fix.
Posted By: JUSTIN37HUNT

Re: Mock Scrapes - 01/10/19 12:43 AM

My uncle has used the code blue gravedigger stuff with success. He credits a handful of bucks to the stuff. It wasn’t on the shelves last year,but I saw they have it back in stores this year. I have two scrapes I’ve had a camera on for 3 straight seasons just gathering info. Haven’t put anything in them, bucks just hit them every year. I killed my biggest buck leaving a scrape (that a doe had just peed near). I couldn’t see the scrape, but luckily when he left it I was on his exit path. Here’s that story: http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthre...in=100918&Number=1272425#Post1272425
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Mock Scrapes - 01/10/19 01:33 AM

I literally have 1000s of videos of bucks on mock scrapes or even real scrapes where I peed in them. I would guess 95% of the activity is at night, but I get lots of different bucks on them.
Posted By: pete53

Re: Mock Scrapes - 01/10/19 10:11 PM

mock scraps do work and I always pee in them when I start a new mock scrap area,after that I use deer urine even if its older stuff year or two old.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM