Aldeer.com

Doe vocals

Posted By: Smells

Doe vocals - 12/17/18 02:57 AM

I've been hearing something in the woods now for about 3 years and I think I know what it is but I am not certain. It is short in duration, less than a second or maybe 1 second, is usually 1 or 2 times in the late afternoon, although Saturday morning I heard it 4 times over maybe 10 seconds and then within maybe 5 minutes I heard it once more. I've searched youtube and can't really find anything comparable. The best way I can describe it is a short creak, like a creaky stair, or shoe, or door, something along those lines. It vaguely resembles what you get out of one of those Primos bleat cans but not really. Someone hearing it could easily say "oh that's a frog" but it's not quite like a frog and frogs in my experience are both communal and verbose, once one starts they all join in and go on and on and on. Again, what I hear is one voice and brief, usually only one or two times.

I think this is a matriarchal doe assembly call as they rise from bed but I've never actually witnessed a doe do it so I don't know.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 03:25 AM

Cald?
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 03:32 AM

The only sound ive ever heard a doe make was a quick loud bleat. She was telling her fawn to stop, and it did. It had just bolted out into a field, a little faster than what mom felt was safe, I guess.
Posted By: charlie

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 03:36 AM

Woodcock

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by charlie
Woodcock

Interesting. Now I know what a woodcock sounds like. The duration of the sound is pretty close but the woodcock sounds more like an insect to me and the woodcock kept going. What I've heard is not a woodcock
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 04:23 AM

Did it sound like this, start at the 58 second mark ?

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by swamp_fever2002
Did it sound like this, start at the 58 second mark ?

<iframe width="729" height="410" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QnCDX2jlMeI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No it is not a grunt. The duration of the sound is pretty close, maybe very slightly longer, to the woodcock, nothing like a grunt. The woodcock is more buzzy sounding to me.

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 04:35 AM

Do you know what a clicking grunt sounds like ? It usually goes unnoticed by a hunter.

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 04:49 AM

Do you know what a clicking grunt sounds like ? It usually goes unnoticed by a hunter.

I played the video you posted. The grunt is much lower, slower, and longer. What I hear is the same every time, no variation in duration or sound.

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Smells

I played the video you posted. The grunt is much lower, slower, and longer. What I hear is the same every time, no variation in duration or sound.

I cant find the video right now that I need you to hear. The one above is not a good video for what I want you to hear. I will see if I can find it.

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 05:09 AM

Scroll down to What Is Buck Clicking and read the first paragraph.

http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/editorial/tactics_bh_click_1009/310822

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 05:22 AM

Scroll down to What Is Buck Clicking and read the first paragraph.

http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/editorial/tactics_bh_click_1009/310822

I've heard this long before rut times, even earlier this year. It's not really a clicking noise. It's driving me crazy. I think it may be an important piece of the puzzle but can't be sure if it's even a deer at all.

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 05:26 AM

I found the video I was looking for, 1:12 - 1:40 mark. I have had buck make basically the same sound as what she is doing with no other deer around before and during the rut.

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 05:45 AM

This is much closer! There is still a lot of variation in what she is doing though. The first and third sounds she makes are much closer to the duration I've heard, with the first sound being possibly just barely longer and the third sound being slightly shorter. Considering the fact that she is a human attempting to mimic the sound of a deer, this could be it!

The thing is though how it sounds exactly the same every time, no shorter and no longer.

Wow, I guess that changes everything if it's a buck and not a doe. I knew the scrapes looked super fresh, maybe it was a buck and not a doe and maybe it is ridiculous to think does create scrapes. I still don't know why there weren't any rubs though.

From the tree I was in there was a draw between 200 and 300 yds that I couldn't see the bottom of. On the opposite side of the gas cut, in the bottom of the draw, at the edge of the tree line is where I found the first scrape. I scouted this area just a little bit a couple of years ago but never hunted it. I went in in the dark. Had I walked another 100 yds to the next point before climbing, I probably would have seen him cross the cut, if in fact it was a buck.

So here is the million dollar question. The next time I hear this, what can I do to bring him to me? I'd be afraid any sound I'd make would just send him the other way.
Posted By: Ryano

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 06:21 AM

That last video is what I saw and heard a Kansas buck do while tending a doe. I described it as a frog as well. I have heard Alabama deer grunt as we are use to but not the clicking grunt.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 06:25 AM

timberdoodle
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 01:30 PM

Booger monster
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 01:38 PM

I'm around does every day, 365 days a year. I've never heard any of them make any noise except various grunts from very, very, low almost unhearable to loud discipline grunts to fawns. And snorts/blowing, etc, sudden loud noise.

I've heard bucks make a variety of grunts from low single to tic tic tic tic grunts. Snort wheezes of all kinds. Don't believe I ever heard a buck snort like a doe will.
Posted By: king

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 02:13 PM

its BIG FOOT, ive heard them, and the sound your describing , is the same I heard a BIG FOOT make!!
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

Don't believe I ever heard a buck snort like a doe will.

I've heard it once and it was by a big, old, mature buck that was almost dead under my stand when he saw me. One loud snort and he was gone. But it wasn't high pitched like a doe, it was low and loud like a horse snorts when they're agitated.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 09:59 PM

Banshee!

I remember when I was in the Boy Scouts and we camped at what is now Honeycomb Campground in Guntersville. Me and a friend sneaked out into the woods in the middle of the night and were horseing around when we heard this shrill evil shreak. It scared the bejeebus out of us and we ran back and fessed up to the scout master and told him what we heard. He told us it was a banshee and for the longest time we believed it. Fast forward 40+ years to when I started deer hunting ... The first time I had a deer blow at me I about fell out of my climber. Then I laughed so hard I spooked even more deer.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 11:30 PM

Does it sound like a Billy goat puking? Cause I've heard that in the woods before.
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Doe vocals - 12/17/18 11:57 PM

All these sounds are described in whild bills introduction to deer hunting vol. 1. In this issue join the chase with the legend himself as he describes the doe mating calls, the sound bucks make and how to become as one with the deer, plus many more untold secrets kept by none other than the man himself.
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: Doe vocals - 12/18/18 01:08 AM

I love it loader. I’ve got a can die bleep, but once I heard it I used it as target practice. I just use my own vocals, mostly to stop bucks.
Posted By: globe

Re: Doe vocals - 12/18/18 01:27 AM

I'll go with snipe. They make a sound on the ground similar to a frog/katydid then when they fly up they make a sound idk kinda like a dove or a killdeer. It is in the Late Evenings though.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM