Aldeer.com

Macon and Bullock counties

Posted By: bdw32

Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 03:50 AM

Processors saying it’s on over in that area. Anyone hunting over getting any rut activity?
Posted By: Parker243

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 04:14 AM

I used to hunt down in that area and never had tutting activity this early in a season. Most of the rut activity we had was mid January. I killed a big 9 that was in a bachelor group this time of year one season.
Posted By: MC21

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 08:43 AM

Rut usually doesn’t start until Late January where we hunt in Macon.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 10:38 AM

Way too early
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by MC21
Rut usually doesn’t start until Late January where we hunt in Macon.

This^

I've never seen any rutting activity until well into January
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
Way too early
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 12:39 PM

I've wasted 20+ years and half my life's earnings leasing land in that area of Chambers/Lee/Macon and the truth is I don't know how you'd know when the "rut" is. If you put a gun to my head and said "give me a 10-day period that you're MOST certain of" or I'm gonna kill you, I'd tell you Jan 5th -15th is the most likely time to see what we call "the rut". But frankly you could hunt 5 years in a row and never see anything other than scrapes show up around early December (and literally never be touched again), a button head push a doe around in the powerline, etc. I could count on 1 hand the number of times I saw a "shooter" buck pursuing a doe (I won't even say chasing), and crap I saw them do it in October bow season, Christmas, March in turkey season, geez Louise who knows. I've seen bucks grouped up that showed no appearance of "rutting" on the last day of season. So if you have land in that region and you tell me that you ALWAYS see a strong and predictably defined rut the same time every year, then you sir have a friggin diamond in the rough and you better never get rid of that land. thumbup grin In total seriousness, maybe once every couple of years there would be a noticeable week (usually Jan 5 - 15 ish) when we'd see inarguable signs of chasing. But even then it wasn't strong enough to guarantee you a chance to shoot something.
Seriously, I'll always remember opening day of bow season one year (Oct 15th) watching multiple racked bucks absolutely trying to kill this poor little doe. They chased her for 30 minutes all over a creek bottom, buck roared, ran over bushes. And that was literally the ONLY even remote sign of "rutting" I saw that whole season (this was extreme northern Lee Co). Never even saw a spike sniff a doe in January.

Posted By: bdw32

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 01:01 PM

Knew it didn’t sound right. I’ve hunted Macon and Russell the past several years and have never had much til late December first few weeks of January.
Maybe he was confused.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 02:41 PM

Using terms like "confused" is very un-Aldeer like. Just go ahead and call him a dumb A.

January rut round there.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 02:46 PM

Yep. Late January on into February for that area
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 02:56 PM

I just south bullock / north pike county area now. Rut doesn't occur until end of January, first week in February. I've hunted chambers county years ago, and the rut occurred mid- January in our area. Saw good activity at times, with multiple bucks chasing one doe on occasion.
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/07/18 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ikillbux
I've wasted 20+ years and half my life's earnings leasing land in that area of Chambers/Lee/Macon and the truth is I don't know how you'd know when the "rut" is. If you put a gun to my head and said "give me a 10-day period that you're MOST certain of" or I'm gonna kill you, I'd tell you Jan 5th -15th is the most likely time to see what we call "the rut". But frankly you could hunt 5 years in a row and never see anything other than scrapes show up around early December (and literally never be touched again), a button head push a doe around in the powerline, etc. I could count on 1 hand the number of times I saw a "shooter" buck pursuing a doe (I won't even say chasing), and crap I saw them do it in October bow season, Christmas, March in turkey season, geez Louise who knows. I've seen bucks grouped up that showed no appearance of "rutting" on the last day of season. So if you have land in that region and you tell me that you ALWAYS see a strong and predictably defined rut the same time every year, then you sir have a friggin diamond in the rough and you better never get rid of that land. thumbup grin In total seriousness, maybe once every couple of years there would be a noticeable week (usually Jan 5 - 15 ish) when we'd see inarguable signs of chasing. But even then it wasn't strong enough to guarantee you a chance to shoot something.
Seriously, I'll always remember opening day of bow season one year (Oct 15th) watching multiple racked bucks absolutely trying to kill this poor little doe. They chased her for 30 minutes all over a creek bottom, buck roared, ran over bushes. And that was literally the ONLY even remote sign of "rutting" I saw that whole season (this was extreme northern Lee Co). Never even saw a spike sniff a doe in January.

This has pretty much sums up the rutting experience I've seen all my life where I hunt smile
Posted By: Stickers

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/08/18 08:48 PM

Not happening right now in Macon, Fort Davis area.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/09/18 01:22 AM

That guy is nuts. Almost over? It hasn't even warmed up yet. My experience in that area is that anytime around January 18 give or take 3 days is a good time to sit all day.

Dr. B
Posted By: Mully

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/10/18 08:05 PM

I hunted in Macon county Friday off hwy 29 between Tuskegee and Fort Davis. I had 38 deer in the field at once 7 of which were spikes- young 8pts and none showed any interest in any of the does in the field. I have hunted that area my whole life and always been mid to late Jan for any rutting activity.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/10/18 09:31 PM

I usually start seeing buck activity pick up around Jan 10-15 and the peak of chasing activity sometimes around Jan 20-25......Cold weather snaps can really influence how much activity you see.
Posted By: Fatherof4

Re: Macon and Bullock counties - 12/13/18 01:58 AM

Agree with the others. I’m in Mathews, Al. My farm is 1/4 mi from Bullock Co. It’s usually late Jan when things kick off.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM