Aldeer.com

Controlled burn cost

Posted By: jdfarm23

Controlled burn cost - 12/05/18 10:38 PM

What is the going rate for getting someone to come out and perform a good burn?
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/05/18 10:49 PM

Just to burn is around $20/acre as I recall. Dozer work is more.
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/05/18 11:01 PM

I usually tell people $15/acre but prefer to look at the job first, at least on an aerial photo to see what's adjacent to the burn area. We burn some larger acreage tracts for less than $15 per acre for landowners who are on a burn rotation and burn hundreds of acres each year.
The forestry commission charges $20 for understory and $25 for site prep burning (you can find their rates on the AFC website.) This does not include the cost to install firebreaks. I would figure an additional $20-$25 for new fire breaks if you want them nice enough to maintain with a tractor in the future.
Posted By: gobbler

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/05/18 11:05 PM

Bw is right. You might find some lower but rarely. Most are between $15-$20 plus firelane work.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/06/18 12:43 AM

Those are good prices. Be about $5/ac more in No AL
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/06/18 01:05 AM

Call your county extension office. They may be able to set something up.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/06/18 01:37 AM

Might be able to get cost/share to help out, check with the local NRCS office.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/06/18 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by cartervj
Might be able to get cost/share to help out, check with the local NRCS office.

We are enrolled in a CSP program through NRCS, so they cut us a check every year to do stuff like this. Definitely helps lighten the financial load, but I still want to make sure I am getting a good deal.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/06/18 02:33 AM

$17-$23 per acre
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/06/18 10:23 PM

My last contract was $6/ac. Lines included.
Posted By: sanderson

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/06/18 10:58 PM

I’m guessing somebody lost their tail on that deal
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/07/18 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rebelman
My last contract was $6/ac. Lines included.

The only time I've ever heard of per acre cost that low is on large quail plantations where you can burn several hundred acres a day. With fire lanes included I don't see how anyone could make anything especially if it wasn't a really large tract. Even $16/acre would be cheap if it included fire lanes.

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/07/18 12:43 AM

It was 750 acres and it is contracted to burn again at the same rate in 2019 so I don't guess they came out too bad.

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/07/18 01:47 AM

What area was that? Depending on the tract that could still be good or bad

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/07/18 02:00 AM

Washington County
Posted By: gobbler

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/09/18 09:39 PM

It was 750 acres and it is contracted to burn again at the same rate in 2019 so I don't guess they came out too bad.

I would suspect some program burn? If so the rest of us paid for the residual $10/ac the burner got paid.

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/11/18 03:24 AM

No program. Simply open market bidding.
Posted By: Mully

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/11/18 02:08 PM

Sound awful cheap for someone that has a dozer, lo boy, insurance, burning equipment and the knowledge to do the burn correctly. They could raise their price $10/ac with lanes included and still probably win the bid. Whoever your client is getting that price is a lucky guy.

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/11/18 03:02 PM

Having my own equipment and crew it cost me several times that to burn my own property. There’s gotta be more to the story than just $6/ac or the guy just loves paying you to burn your property. I don’t see how you could get close to breakeven at $6. My actual out of pocket expense is closer to $15/ac not including fire lanes. Our fire lanes cost several thousand dollars per mile to install, and that’s me operating my own dozer.

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/12/18 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mully

Sound awful cheap for someone that has a dozer, lo boy, insurance, burning equipment and the knowledge to do the burn correctly. They could raise their price $10/ac with lanes included and still probably win the bid. Whoever your client is getting that price is a lucky guy.

Damned consultants.

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/12/18 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by RiverWood
Having my own equipment and crew it cost me several times that to burn my own property. There’s gotta be more to the story than just $6/ac or the guy just loves paying you to burn your property. I don’t see how you could get close to breakeven at $6. My actual out of pocket expense is closer to $15/ac not including fire lanes. Our fire lanes cost several thousand dollars per mile to install, and that’s me operating my own dozer.

There is nothing ‘more’ to the story.

I think you are mistaken about your line installation cost. You shouldn’t be paying more than $350-450 per mile for one pass lines. If you are paying several thousand dollars for one mile of line, you are getting royally screwed. That is more than 20 hours of dozer time per mile.

Posted By: Zkd22

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/12/18 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by RiverWood

There is nothing ‘more’ to the story.

I think you are mistaken about your line installation cost. You shouldn’t be paying more than $350-450 per mile for one pass lines. If you are paying several thousand dollars for one mile of line, you are getting royally screwed. That is more than 20 hours of dozer time per mile.

Y’all got some hungry folks down there. I also have my own dozer and it cost me a hell of a lot more than $350 for a mile of line to be installed. Got to be a lot of equipment auctions in your area
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/12/18 02:30 AM

I don’t know how they’re making any profit at $6/acre. I couldn’t even pay my help and cover costs for that.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/12/18 02:07 PM

According to the news report this guy contracted to burn for $55 per acre, but probably didn't get the result he wanted. I don't know if they have finalized the investigation yet.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-po...e-is-known-and-respected-colleagues-say/

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/12/18 02:40 PM

Maybe they burned all 750 acres in 1 or 2 trips and maybe there’s not much line pushing. Hell we’ve set up over 500 acres in couple hours.

I’m sure everyone would rather burn in Alabama for $6 than be in FL for $55, i know i would

Re: Controlled burn cost - 12/12/18 04:13 PM

Everybody knows that prescribed fire is an excellent, cost effective management tool to improve wildlife habitat. There seems to be a misconception that hundreds of acres need to be burned to make a difference. New research from MSU Deer Lab has demonstrated that small burns can be very beneficial. Micro-plots of 1/10th acres are beneficial. Just a few acres can drastically improve habitat. Think of it more like planting green fields rather than trying to burn your entire property
© 2024 ALDEER.COM