Aldeer.com

RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence

Posted By: 10buck2

RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/29/18 07:50 PM

What is folks seeing far as rut in morgan and Lawrence county? Is it getting close?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/29/18 09:21 PM

Next week will be a big week in the area.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/29/18 09:27 PM

Ya done missed it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/29/18 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Next week will be a big week in the area.

I have a feeling you may be right. thumbup

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/29/18 10:51 PM

Ive found it really starts in that area around December 1st, but really gets cranking around the 9th or 10th and it is wide open.

Ive killed a few good ones on December 2nd. One of my favorite days to hunt. Good bucks out looking during daylight, or trailing does, pushing them.

Good luck and let us know what you see and shoot.
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/30/18 12:00 AM

Central and eastern Morgan county will be January normally, The western part of Morgan should be good soon. I work on the northwest part of Morgan by Lawrence county and there is nothing yet. Last year I saw good activity the 2nd week of December and have seen it strong through the end of December

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/30/18 12:36 AM

Feel free to wait til Jan in the NW part of Morgan or in Lawrence and you'll miss it. A few big ones hit the dirt this pm that we're chasing pretty hard. Dec 5-15 is the primo max.
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/30/18 02:22 AM

I've worked for Kinder Morgan at Nucor for nearly 8 years and spent a lot of hours driving the port road back where Nucor joins Mallard Creek and last year there was hard chasing the 2nd week of Dec. Thats probably the first year I remember it that hard that early. I saw a 3 yr old 8 pt this week and some other guys have been mentioning seeing smaller bucks. No one has seen anything great yet. In years past it seems the last week of December was very good. I may still have pics a guy got on one day of 3 different bucks, I figure there was a hot doe that day. One was around a 120 8pt, then 150 10pt, and the last is hard to say but from a 100yds off he looked very wide.

From 65 East its a different story. Our bucks are probably still in groups and won't get going until January

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/30/18 02:27 AM

Yea you're right about priceville/Somerville area but it's kicking west. By dec 25 season mostly over for us out west.
Posted By: Cibola

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/30/18 03:06 PM

I have been working all week and not able to hunt much, but I was able to get in my shooting house about 4:15 yesterday evening & killed a decent 8 pt a couple of minutes later. After I shot him, I pulled my camera cards to check the past week's activity. Starting on the 24th, the buck activity on my little place really picked up, and I have several pics of them following or chasing does, and hitting a scrape. I had previously had some buck activity around the week of the youth hunt, but it had gotten very slow until the 24th, then its like a switch was flipped. This is in eastern Lauderdale Co.

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/30/18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cibola
I have been working all week and not able to hunt much, but I was able to get in my shooting house about 4:15 yesterday evening & killed a decent 8 pt a couple of minutes later. After I shot him, I pulled my camera cards to check the past week's activity. Starting on the 24th, the buck activity on my little place really picked up, and I have several pics of them following or chasing does, and hitting a scrape. I had previously had some buck activity around the week of the youth hunt, but it had gotten very slow until the 24th, then its like a switch was flipped. This is in eastern Lauderdale Co.

Congrats! You got a picture of that 8?
Posted By: Clem

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 11/30/18 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ghost rabbit

From 65 East its a different story. Our bucks are probably still in groups and won't get going until January

This is true. From what I'm seeing the bucks are still hanging around together.

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by mcninja

Finally figured out how to post the pic. Excuse the fancy camo, I went right from work to the shooting house.

[Linked Image]

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 02:12 AM

I do, but have no idea how to post them here.

Pm sent
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 02:18 AM

Otdoorobsession and boo boo head hit it. Breeding data for most of the valley in Lawrence county and western Morgan is consistently anytime in December. December 1-15 should be prime.
Posted By: Twalldre

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 02:38 AM

1st post so go easy...

Seems like most people refer to Black Warrior WMA as simply "Bankhead." I could be completely mistaken and, if so, I welcome any and all corrections. So, would this information be pertaining to the entirety of BNF or just to areas north of 278?

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 02:46 AM

I do, but have no idea how to post them here.

Pm sent

Didn’t get the pm.

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Twalldre
1st post so go easy...

Seems like most people refer to Black Warrior WMA as simply "Bankhead." I could be completely mistaken and, if so, I welcome any and all corrections. So, would this information be pertaining to the entirety of BNF or just to areas north of 278?

I’m not referring to anything on Bankhead. I’m referring to the TN Valley north of Bankhead. Bankhead dates are even earlier. Peak breeding has already taken place there. The valley is about 14-21 days later.

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 03:17 AM

What he said
Posted By: Twalldre

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 03:29 AM

Thanks gents
Posted By: WallyGator0928

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
1st post so go easy...

I’m not referring to anything on Bankhead. I’m referring to the TN Valley north of Bankhead. Bankhead dates are even earlier. Peak breeding has already taken place there. The valley is about 14-21 days later.

Actually my lease borders Bankhead NF on 3 sides (not the WMA but the NF) and we’ve just now started seeing scrapes. In the last week we’ve had 6 mature bucks show up on camera that haven’t been on our lease all year. Figure they’re 10 days out from hard chasing and 3 weeks out from peak rut.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by WallyGator0928
1st post so go easy...

Actually my lease borders Bankhead NF on 3 sides (not the WMA but the NF) and we’ve just now started seeing scrapes. In the last week we’ve had 6 mature bucks show up on camera that haven’t been on our lease all year. Figure they’re 10 days out from hard chasing and 3 weeks out from peak rut.

Why would they be chasing does weeks before the rut?
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 04:33 AM

Don't let them cross the road. It will set the rut back a whole month!
Posted By: James

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 04:35 AM

All this Rut talk lol, we have nearly 2 months before it'll good down here grin

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ben2
[quote=Mbrock][quote=Twalldre]1st post so go easy...

Why would they be chasing does weeks before the rut?

So technically bucks are in rut from the time they shed their velvet till they shed their antlers... that peaks when the largest population of does go into estrus. That’s usually when they’re done chasing and they’re locked down with the does. That 10-15 days before the peak has always been the best hunting for me.

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by James
All this Rut talk lol, we have nearly 2 months before it'll good down here grin

You interested in trading a North Alabama rut hunt for a late season one?

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/01/18 01:26 PM

1st post so go easy...

Where are you located? We may have breeding data from closeby I can provide you.
Posted By: gametime

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/02/18 03:20 AM

Northwestern Lawrence County will be hot these next two weeks, especially with the New Moon and another cold front. The last couple of years has seen the rut wide open in the Valley going into the second week of December. We have started seeing deer running across the paved roads during the day and night this week in Lawrence Co.

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/02/18 03:28 AM

Yessir!
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/03/18 12:54 AM

Bankhead deer are still a bit out. The ones we saw today showed no sign of getting ready. Maybe a week or so out. The cooler weather this week may jumpstart things. Just a little later than usual.
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/03/18 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by antlerhunter
Bankhead deer are still a bit out. The ones we saw today showed no sign of getting ready. Maybe a week or so out. The cooler weather this week may jumpstart things. Just a little later than usual.

You must be south of 278, because north of 278 is wide open now.

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/03/18 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by antlerhunter

They’re going to be winding down soon on Bankhead, at least from DS north to Moulton. If you’re there you’ve waited too late to catch the bulk of it. Even south of 278 there’s a lot of very early December breeding taking place.

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/04/18 09:52 PM

I will tell you this, if they are about done, they sure haven't left much sign. The does we saw still had cottonball hocks and the bucks were not even close to being smelly or swollen. Or maybe we were just in an area with weirdos. After the early am, we covered a whole lot of ground and found very little buck sign where the does stay generally. Maybe west of 33 it's different, but east of 33, wasn't much going on nor any real sign that there had been lately.
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/04/18 11:02 PM

North or South Bankhead seems to make the difference in timing to me. I have also noticed less food equals less buck sign. Maybe they don’t won’t to waste energy...... I’m no expert by no means just my experience.

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/05/18 12:32 AM

There is very little food in the woods over there. Found one place there we're still a few acorns, but looked like they were hitting the briars and mushrooms in the hemlocks more.
Posted By: robinhedd

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/05/18 04:00 AM

I saw a dandy buck yesterday morning on the North side of Hwy 20 @ Hillsboro , right across from the gin on my way to work about 6:30 a.m. He was right behind the little block house or building, he was definitely looking for love I’d think. Robinhedd

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/05/18 04:12 AM

Please shhhhhh on that sighting.
Posted By: jdhunter2011

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/05/18 01:57 PM

Just going off 4 yrs of hunting a couple miles south of D.S. the best days to hunt are Dec. 16- Christmas week. Start rabbit hunting or fishing after new years.

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/05/18 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by robinhedd
I saw a dandy buck yesterday morning on the North side of Hwy 20 @ Hillsboro , right across from the gin on my way to work about 6:30 a.m. He was right behind the little block house or building, he was definitely looking for love I’d think. Robinhedd

Any ag fields near or in that area?

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/05/18 09:42 PM

No. It's all scrub brush and Nucor plants

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/05/18 10:11 PM

Those damned Nucor plants have sharp spines. Can't ever get them out of my shoelaces.

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/05/18 11:55 PM

I know it. They're taking over. Invasive species

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/06/18 12:28 AM

I know it. They're taking over. Invasive species

From what I hear they took over all the ag land in the area and there isnt any more! Its why there arent many deer in that area.

Also the deer that are there are so small and have such poor antlers. Heck I hear their even high in those PFOAs and stuff from that 3M spilling contaminants.

Sad little bodied , under fed , small antlered , chemically altered critters. frown
Posted By: longshot

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/07/18 08:18 PM

was just told by a coworker that bucks were chasing does all over in the Eva area
Posted By: JDawg

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/17/18 06:02 PM

big buck on ULA property chasing this morning!!

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/17/18 07:46 PM

doodoo how could you see him? I nearly turned around and went back home the fog was so bad this Am. I mean bad
Posted By: JDawg

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/18/18 11:51 AM

doodoo how could you see him? I nearly turned around and went back home the fog was so bad this Am. I mean bad

Fog was pretty bad on the drive in but I could see there at the plant. We could barely make out a lone doe then all of a sudden he walked out of a thicket and was standing on a small hill. Probably one of the better ones I’ve seen there!!

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/18/18 12:31 PM

Some giants out there for sure
Posted By: lectrode

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/18/18 12:50 PM

Nearly ? rofl
Posted By: Old_Grunt

Re: RUT REPORT morgan/lawrence - 12/18/18 02:31 PM

Been seeing a big 12 last week and this week chasing on 3M property.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM